• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

maxcriden

Hey there Japan-GAF, hoping y'all can help me with a question about visiting your country. My wife and I are hoping to take a trip in about a year for three weeks or so. I've been studying Japanese pretty hard so I'm hoping to have some decent grasp of the language by then. In the meantime, I do have one concern. It's kind of a big one. My wife and I both get chronic migraines, and there are certain food triggers we have to avoid because they give us just absolutely awful migraines. Unfortunately, soy, including soy sauce and tofu and any form of soy, MSG, fish sauce, fermented foods like miso, dashi...those are some of the most significant migraine triggers.

Is it reasonable at all to be able to avoid these on vacation in Japan or is that going to be essentially impossible? (Ideally we would like to spend time in Tokyo, Fukuoka and Nara at the least.) Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Mik2121

I'll say you can get through it pretty easily. Either go with the Japanese food that you are 100% sure won't have that in (you can always ask), or if you don't mind skipping on the food completely then enjoy the visit while having western food? There are lots of restaurants to pick from all around so you will probably ever be in a situation where Japanese food is your only option unless you go to some really small location or try to eat at some museum's restaurant or near some temples or something (and even most temples are in the middle of the cities so you can walk 5 mins to the closest place).

I don't know much about it since I never bothered worrying personally, but I bet a lot of people here could give you Japanese food ideas that match your requirements.

Fugu

Hey there Japan-GAF, hoping y'all can help me with a question about visiting your country. My wife and I are hoping to take a trip in about a year for three weeks or so. I've been studying Japanese pretty hard so I'm hoping to have some decent grasp of the language by then. In the meantime, I do have one concern. It's kind of a big one. My wife and I both get chronic migraines, and there are certain food triggers we have to avoid because they give us just absolutely awful migraines. Unfortunately, soy, including soy sauce and tofu and any form of soy, MSG, fish sauce, fermented foods like miso, dashi...those are some of the most significant migraine triggers.

Is it reasonable at all to be able to avoid these on vacation in Japan or is that going to be essentially impossible? (Ideally we would like to spend time in Tokyo, Fukuoka and Nara at the least.) Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.
Japan's not exactly the most cosmopolitan place in the world but you'll have no problems avoiding those kinds of things in Tokyo, Fukuoka and Nara.

maxcriden

Thank you both for the info. I really appreciate it. Is it going to be hard to eat at specifically Japanese restaurants under those parameters, though? And if not, what sort of foods will we be able to eat at Japanese restaurants? (And I guess on the other hand, what kinds of foods and places should we be able to expect to eat otherwise?)

Damn dude that doesn't sound very easy to do to me. Like 95% of Japanese food has dashi in it. You wont be able to eat any "western" food with mayo because Japanese mayo has MSG in it. There's more...

Damn dude that doesn't sound very easy to do to me. Like 95% of Japanese food has dashi in it. You wont be able to eat any "western" food with mayo because Japanese mayo has MSG in it. There's more...

Yeah, if any minuscule amount of dashi is a problem then it's going to be tough.

Resilient

isn't that why there are like 500 knock off italian restaurants all over the place?

as a wog living in AU I can say some of them are actually pretty good lol.

maxcriden

Yeah, if any minuscule amount of dashi is a problem then it's going to be tough.

I appreciate your candor. Thanks guys.

It sounds like a massive pain in the ass really, for the both of you as well as the staff at anywhere you plan to eat.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I have no intention of going to a restaurant and asking for anything to be modified. My Japanese isn't good enough for that yet and honestly more importantly that's something I would almost never do here in the US, let alone in Japan where my understanding is in would be seen as especially rude.

Alternately, how doable is a situation where we'd get our own kitchen and just...cook...most meals...like an AirBnB type deal? Hmm...I really want to make this work but I don't want us to contend with (worse) migraines (or any at all).

Darksol

Oh, don't get me wrong. I have no intention of going to a restaurant and asking for anything to be modified. My Japanese isn't good enough for that yet and honestly more importantly that's something I would almost never do here in the US, let alone in Japan where my understanding is in would be seen as especially rude.

Alternately, how doable is a situation where we'd get our own kitchen and just...cook...most meals...like an AirBnB type deal? Hmm...I really want to make this work but I don't want us to contend with (worse) migraines (or any at all).

With enough preparation I'm sure you could be fine. As for cooking for yourself, I don't see why that would be a problem. Supermarkets are everywhere and the selection is usually pretty decent. Lots of Japanese residences don't have a stove though. Well, they have the burners, but the oven portion is usually absent. So don't expect to do much baking :p

Also, most places use gas to cook, so if you've always cooked with electric you may want to give gas a try before heading over :)

Honestly, cooking for yourself seems like the easiest way to ensure you don't get anything that could trip your migraines.

Cooking for yourself is probably the best way to make sure your dietary restrictions are met. You could look for a hostel with a shared kitchen, or check out the hotel chain Citadines, I think all of their rooms have a kitchenette. I'm sure there are other options too.

Hey Japan-GAF, a quickie. I was wondering if there's any over the counter snoring medication you can buy out here, as my room mates aren't really appreciating my night wailing. Appreciate the help!

Darksol

Hey Japan-GAF, a quickie. I was wondering if there's any over the counter snoring medication you can buy out here, as my room mates aren't really appreciating my night wailing. Appreciate the help!

I'm not sure about medication but have you given any of those breathing strips a try? I've seen them around.

I've made it to the final step of the interview process with the Japanese company I've been talking to. I think I've been asked three times why I'm interested in living in Japan. Is that some sort of "filter out the weirdo otaku" question?

Gritesh

Hey everyone me and my wife are coming to Japan from Canada, we will be in Tokyo for a few days from March 16-21 and again at the end of our trip from March 28-31.

Was wondering if anyone that lives in the area wants to hang out and show us around one evening. We are both in our early thirties we enjoy pretty much anything and don't mind drinking but my wife isn't a huge drinker. We are pretty laid back people and easy going. Thought I'd throw it out there if anyone wants to show some lowely tourists around a bit one evening or something. Pm me if interested.

Can't wait to go it will be out first time there.

urfe

I've made it to the final step of the interview process with the Japanese company I've been talking to. I think I've been asked three times why I'm interested in living in Japan. Is that some sort of "filter out the weirdo otaku" question?

To me it's a basic question that should be answered normally, but if the applicant can't, warning bells go off.

Like why do you want this job, or what are your strengths San weaknesses.

Also, some people just really really want to hear foreigners gush about Japan.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I think I've been asked three times why I'm interested in living in Japan. Is that some sort of "filter out the weirdo otaku" question?

assuming you don't go down some crazy route i think it's more just making sure you aren't just on some sort of jolly and you have thought about why you want to move here.

Assuming that they offer you the job they are going to have to get you a 3 year visa so that's something they want to make sure of.

The last time i interviewed here i was asked why i was interested in -staying- in Japan, and was asked to give reasons why i wouldn't be just waltzing off back to the UK.

To me it's a basic question that should be answered normally, but if the applicant can't, warning bells go off.

Like why do you want this job, or what are your strengths San weaknesses.

Also, some people just really really want to hear foreigners gush about Japan.

I guess I should mention that this is almost a 100 % gaijin firm with all of the interviewers being European so far. But, that makes sense. Moving across the world is a huge commitment. I just figured it was weird to have been asked by so many people.

urfe

I guess I should mention that this is almost a 100 % gaijin firm with all of the interviewers being European so far. But, that makes sense. Moving across the world is a huge commitment. I just figured it was weird to have been asked by so many people.

In my experience interviewers don't really consult each other as to what has been asked, and honestly don't know always know what to ask. This would be an easy go to question I suppose.

Anyways, good luck!

Branduil

I just want to say

FUCK the Japanese driving test and fuck everyone involved in this bullshit government-sponsored extortion scheme.

Thank you.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Is there a reason or are you just venting about making a mistake?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The Japanese writing/practical are about 900% easier than the US version.

Aizo

Banned
Is the 先行サービス料 pretty much the same between retailers when ordering tickets?

I got the job and will be receiving an offer and details within the next week. Hopefully it's enough to survive off of.

Do ovens exist in Japan? How do you guys bake?

Mozz-eyes

Banned
I got the job and will be receiving an offer and details within the next week. Hopefully it's enough to survive off of.

Do ovens exist in Japan? How do you guys bake?

A lot of people here swear by toaster ovens. I used some of my housing allowance to get a microwave oven for just over 10k yen.

It works well enough, but it's pretty slow. I've roasted a whole chicken in it before but, because it's not a convection oven, you need to keep foil on the top of the chicken until the end because otherwise it gets burnt to hell (heat only comes from the top)

Also baked cookies and whatever else you can think of, but chicken was the main one.

Ayumi

A lot of people here swear by toaster ovens. I used some of my housing allowance to get a microwave oven for just over 10k yen.

It works well enough, but it's pretty slow. I've roasted a whole chicken in it before but, because it's not a convection oven, you need to keep foil on the top of the chicken until the end because otherwise it gets burnt to hell (heat only comes from the top)

Also baked cookies and whatever else you can think of, but chicken was the main one.

We have a common microwave that cooks/bakes/grills too, but I grew up using western non-gas stoves attached to ovens, so I still feel intimidated by the Japanese microwave. I just feel as if the food wouldn't cook as authentically, know what I mean?

Mozz-eyes

Banned
We have a common microwave that cooks/bakes/grills too, but I grew up using western non-gas stoves attached to ovens, so I still feel intimidated by the Japanese microwave. I just feel as if the food wouldn't cook as authentically, know what I mean?

For a while, when I lived in a smaller place in the UK, I had a microwave convection oven.

It worked flawlessly.

Perhaps if you paid a bit more than 10k yen here, you could probably get something a lot like that.

Ayumi

For a while, when I lived in a smaller place in the UK, I had a microwave convection oven.

It worked flawlessly.

Perhaps if you paid a bit more than 10k yen here, you could probably get something a lot like that.

Our micro is very good, I'm just not really that excited to use it for baking stuff.

kubus

Welp, looks like I'm applying for the Monbusho scholarship this year. My school wants to recommend me :x. I'm a bit nervous and the paperwork needed is already giving me a headache, but if I get this I would be overjoyed. One year of studying in Japan all paid by the government? Hell yes.

Emotionally it's gonna be tough, with my boyfriend and cat staying behind once again :(. But I know I'll regret it if I don't take this chance.

Anyone else with MEXT experiences here? I'm really nervous about what universities to pick. Some of them have N2 level as a requirement (though they don't seem to need any proof). I haven't done the JLPT yet but I think I'm between N2 and N3.

wait they didn't even tell you what the salary was gonna be when they offered you the job? damn

I don't think I've officially gotten an offer yet. Initially it was a quick questionnaire to get an idea about my personality followed by three technical interviews. I was told that I will receive an email with details about an offer within a week.

I think I've seen something like that on youtube. I'll look into it.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well, luckily at this point it looks like I have other options, just not in Japan. I'm willing to accept lower wages but there's a threshold.

Congrats!!

We barbarians enjoy eating anything raw with two sticks. Who needs oven???

I enjoy stick food too. I just enjoy baking as well.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Welp, looks like I'm applying for the Monbusho scholarship this year. My school wants to recommend me :x. I'm a bit nervous and the paperwork needed is already giving me a headache, but if I get this I would be overjoyed. One year of studying in Japan all paid by the government? Hell yes.

Emotionally it's gonna be tough, with my boyfriend and cat staying behind once again :(. But I know I'll regret it if I don't take this chance.

Anyone else with MEXT experiences here? I'm really nervous about what universities to pick. Some of them have N2 level as a requirement (though they don't seem to need any proof). I haven't done the JLPT yet but I think I'm between N2 and N3.
I went on MEXT 4 years ago, but I think there are different types of those, since you had to pass a yearly exam to get it. I have no idea if that affects universities/programs which you can choose, but after my teacher's suggestion, I went to TUFS.

Positives:
- It's in Tokyo, so you're relatively close to places like Shinjuku/Shibuya/Akihabara etc.
- It's a foreign language university, so most people there are language nuts. Tons of clubs, events for foreign students held by the school/and a club focused on socializing with the foreigners there.
- 2 huge dorms for foreign students. Rooms were about 17k per month.
- The area around the campus is really neat - quiet and green.
- There's a ton of programs for 日研生, when you start you have to take a test which determines your language level (1-8, I think). After the first half a year you can go up/down depending on how you did.
Kanji program is separate, so if you do well enough on the test you don't have to bother with those classes.
- Since it's a language university, 70-80% of students there are girls. No idea how important this part is to you.
- There are courses which are really helpful for looking for a job. I think the biggest one was "Business Japanese".

Negatives:
- It's "Tokyo" in name, but it's really in the middle of nowhere. Closest place with shops is 武蔵境, where you have to go by train or walk for 40 minutes. I think it takes about 40 minutes by train to get to Shinjuku. The university is located in 多磨, so you can check the area on the map.
- Some classes were really boring, but I guess it's par for the course.

I really enjoyed my year there, and during summer holiday I was able to get a job which allowed me to go back to Japan after graduating.
The school also didn't complain about students working part time if they got the necessary permit.

If you're interested, I wrote a few blog posts about the university and the 学園祭 when I was there. Posts are in Polish, but you can check out the pictures/videos:
Festival concerts 1, 2, 3.
Photo tour around the university.

kubus

First of all, wow, thanks for the super informative post!

Yeah there's different programs for research students (4 years) and Japanese Studies students (1 year). There's so little information available about the latter, so it's nice reading your experiences as I'm aiming for the same one :D.

Man, you sure are lucky to get into TUFS! I hear that's the most picked university so the chances of actually getting accepted there are pretty low. I really want to focus on learning the language and I love Tokyo (who doesn't) so I think I'll just give it a try and put it on #1 on my list as well and pray I get in :p. Was there anything special you put on your university choice form about the reason you wanted to get into TUFS?

Tokyo Gaidai sounds really great. Even the negatives don't bother me a bit :D. I studied for about half a year in Tokyo at Jissen Women's University, which is in Hino (about 4 stations away from Musashi-sakai iirc) and even though you're not actually IN Tokyo, I really didn't mind having to travel an hour to get to Shinjuku/Akiba/etc. And well, since I studied at a women's university, I'm used to being surrounded by girls so that doesn't really bother me either :p. Though I'll appreciate having guys around too... It's kinda bizarre that I haven't spoken to a single Japanese guy (if you don't count store clerks and stuff) despite having lived there for 5 months ô_o.

I read your blog with the help of google translate and I'm getting really excited. I should try not to get my hopes up too soon though, I haven't even done the test yet. Or filled in all the necessary paperwork... The submission deadline is this Friday, and I've got a doctor's appointment tomorrow for the medical certificate, and hopefully the headmaster has some time this week to write me a recommendation letter.

Btw, was the interview at the embassy completely in Japanese? What kind of questions did they ask? This is the part I'm the most nervous for :p.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Huh, I didn't expect TUFS to be so high on the popularity rankings, but I guess it has everything a foreign student would need, is in Tokyo and isn't so "scary" like Waseda etc.

If I remember correctly, I wrote that I chose TUFS because it's in Tokyo in the center of the popular culture, technology etc., which I wanted to research for my MEXT research paper in Japanese (you're supposed to write a 10+ page report during the scholarship, in the end I wrote a 16 page long paper about Hunting Games, lol).

As for the interview, it was indeed in Japanese. They asked me why I want to go and asked questions like "what do you think about stereotypes about Japanese people" etc. Nothing too hard, really. I think they also ask you about your planned research.

Also, regarding the field in the form where you're supposed to write about your research, I highly recommend doing so in Japanese. :)

kubus

Huh, I didn't expect TUFS to be so high on the popularity rankings, but I guess it has everything a foreign student would need, is in Tokyo and isn't so "scary" like Waseda etc.

If I remember correctly, I wrote that I chose TUFS because it's in Tokyo in the center of the popular culture, technology etc., which I wanted to research for my MEXT research paper in Japanese (you're supposed to write a 10+ page report during the scholarship, in the end I wrote a 16 page long paper about Hunting Games, lol).

As for the interview, it was indeed in Japanese. They asked me why I want to go and asked questions like "what do you think about stereotypes about Japanese people" etc. Nothing too hard, really. I think they also ask you about your planned research.

Also, regarding the field in the form where you're supposed to write about your research, I highly recommend doing so in Japanese. :)
I think TUFS is generally well-known so it feels more like a "safe choice". With some of the schools on that list you can barely get any idea of what it's like so I'm more reluctant to put them on my list. And Tokyo is a popular destination of course :). I was thinking about writing something in the same lines as you did about why you chose TUFS. Was just wondering if you wrote something special there that caught the eye of MEXT that got you picked out :p.

Maybe something has changed since you went but I didn't see anything about a MEXT research paper in the form. On the application form, there's question 11 "What academic field would you like to study in Japan?", did you mean that? I actually have no idea what to put there. I'm guessing Language ô_o. They do advise you to write in Japanese there. I have no idea what I'd like to research though, I'll have to think carefully about that. Writing a report in Japanese sounds really daunting... I remember absolutely hating writing 作文 in class :p. I would read a paper about hunting games though, haha!

Thanks for the interview advice. "What do you think about stereotypes about Japanese people" is a pretty difficult question in my eyes. I don't even know how to answer that in my own language. I can hardly get any speaking practice here so this will definitely be the toughest hurdle for me :(.

I just got my medical certificate and now awaiting the recommendation letter :x. Time to think about what to put on my application form.

Thanks again for all the help so far!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I think TUFS is generally well-known so it feels more like a "safe choice". With some of the schools on that list you can barely get any idea of what it's like so I'm more reluctant to put them on my list. And Tokyo is a popular destination of course :). I was thinking about writing something in the same lines as you did about why you chose TUFS. Was just wondering if you wrote something special there that caught the eye of MEXT that got you picked out :p.

Maybe something has changed since you went but I didn't see anything about a MEXT research paper in the form. On the application form, there's question 11 "What academic field would you like to study in Japan?", did you mean that? I actually have no idea what to put there. I'm guessing Language ô_o. They do advise you to write in Japanese there. I have no idea what I'd like to research though, I'll have to think carefully about that. Writing a report in Japanese sounds really daunting... I remember absolutely hating writing 作文 in class :p. I would read a paper about hunting games though, haha!

Thanks for the interview advice. "What do you think about stereotypes about Japanese people" is a pretty difficult question in my eyes. I don't even know how to answer that in my own language. I can hardly get any speaking practice here so this will definitely be the toughest hurdle for me :(.

I just got my medical certificate and now awaiting the recommendation letter :x. Time to think about what to put on my application form.

Thanks again for all the help so far!
Oh right, in the application you just write what you want to study. I think that you have to write a long report before the year ends, but luckily it doesn't have to be related to what you wrote in the application.

The interview really isn't that bad, you don't need to worry!

kubus

Oh right, in the application you just write what you want to study. I think that you have to write a long report before the year ends, but luckily it doesn't have to be related to what you wrote in the application.

The interview really isn't that bad, you don't need to worry!
Haha well reading your application I'm pretty sure your level of Japanese was already way higher than mine when you applied for the scholarship so I'm still a bit worried about the interview :p. But I'll just do my best, can't do more than that :). Thanks!

Guru-Guru

Banned
Haha well reading your application I'm pretty sure your level of Japanese was already way higher than mine when you applied for the scholarship so I'm still a bit worried about the interview :p. But I'll just do my best, can't do more than that :). Thanks!
Waseda is pretty great, btw. I did a year on exchange there, got the JASSO scholarship. It has the same problems that most universities in Japan do (course registration is a pain in the ass, quality of professors/classes can vary widely, etc.), but the office that handles foreign students is well-organized/helpful, student life is great, and the dorms (if you decide to live in one) are located within 5 min walk of the campus. The campus is in Takadanobaba which is like 4 mins from Shinjuku station, 9 from Shibuya, IIRC--location is great. Very easy to get to anywhere in Tokyo for the weekend, travelling, and so on. As for classes, Generally-speaking, the Japanese language courses are excellent and you would definitely improve your Japanese if you put the effort in. If you plan to take English courses on politics, history, economics or whatever, you might not actually learn anything...Those courses are SUPER easy though! It was great for me, as I took those courses and got credits for equivalent (but way harder!) courses at my home university.

Anyhow, kind of rambling now, but definitely look up Waseda!

Darksol

I have been out of the 3DS loop for a while given I only bought it for some strategy/tactics grid-based games.

Is the 3DS still region locked? And if so, does that cube game or YouTube app glitch still bypass the region settings?

My options are still basically import my NA games to Japan, or buy a new 3DS here, right? Or should I wait for the NX and hope that they do away with regions and are backwards compatible? :p

Update on my job hunt.

I received my offer and I think I'm going to pass. It's a bit low and I had a really good interview with an American company yesterday that I'm pretty sure will pay more (possibly close to double after the first year). Looks like I'm making the N2 and N1 a priority before I try again.

Top Bottom