• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Fugu

So just to double check - sorry it's still early here and I just got up, my cognitive skills are still booting up - I can't open a bank account while staying in a hostel or something comparable - that doesn't have a formal lease?

I know my friend was able to open one while staying in a share-house, so I might have to look into that too.

Thanks.
I registered for a bank account at Shinsei with a temporary address and phone number. They let me open the account but Shinsei will lock your account after about a month if they can't deliver a piece of registered mail to your house.

I don't know anything about JP post though.

bluethree

You can go to the post office and tell them about your new address, and they'll forward everything to your new place. Of course you should update your address directly with the bank/other services as well just in case.

Torraz

Thank you for the info.

The first three months are looking at being a bit "flexible" in terms of where I'm staying, so this is some good info. I just know I want/need a bank account and cell phone contract ASAP, so that I can try to find some work, regardless of nature.

Torraz

Whoops, misclicked. Sorry for the double post.

After doing some more research, apparently:
- i will receive a residence card at the airport
- this will have a blank slot for address
- i have to go to a local office within two weeks and submit an address
- future address changes have to be comunicated

So then with this card, even with a temporary address, I should be able to acquire a bank account, and as long as I stay there for 2-3 more weeks I should be able to receive the bank card etc. in the mail. After that I would only need to keep telling the cellphone company, the ward office and the bank about any address changes?

That sounds simple enough. Still not completely sure how the My Number ties into this.

Mik2121

These station lineups...

You mean at the platforms? I could imagine... I was checking the news this morning before coming to work and it seems like Tokyo got quite a lot of snow during the night?

Here in Osaka it was only rain but even then it stopped already...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
You mean at the platforms? I could imagine... I was checking the news this morning before coming to work and it seems like Tokyo got quite a lot of snow during the night?

Here in Osaka it was only rain but even then it stopped already...

Yeah my gf told me it took her 3 hours to train from Meguro to Shibuya lol.

Tsukuba is always more cold than Tokyo but it's just rain here no snow. これはラキーーーーーー

Just tell everyone that you're really desperate to sleep with Japanese women—that'll work.
barf

lol

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Lol my smap boys gettin the Johnny strong arm. Nutin stops this train.

Darksol

Anyways, for music that doesn't suck, Tame Impala tickets go on sale at the end of January for April 25th (Tokyo) and 26th (Osaka). I'm excited :)

urfe

I've been taking to an American company in Tokyo (mails, interviews) about changing jobs, and I'm amazed at how casual, yet formal it all seems compared to Japanese companies. I haven't heard back from them for more than a week after the last interview, but a friend says the entire process can sometimes take up to six months!

Very different than the first, second, final interview all in the same month I've done at Japanese companies.

My interview last night went pretty well and I was told to wait for a second round to be scheduled before a decision is made.

How did everyone get there? Should I start thinking about which things I can convince family to hold onto and which things I should throw out?

Laws00

Can someone give me the names of both of these Mangas and Hentais?

I have a friend of a friend that's in the military that gave me these too things. I don't read Japanese so I have no idea the names nor publications.

20160122_062510_zps2uipffmi.jpg

Guys its snowing so hard here in Kagoshima!!!!

At first there were a few flurries on tuesday at one of my mountain schools mixed with hail...

Saturday Night and today its like nonstop snow!!! Cant even see Sakurajima anymore.

bluethree

so weird to hear about snow in that part of japan, I lived in Miyazaki until last year and it snowed only once while I was there (and it was so little that it didn't stick the ground or pile up)

Ayumi

If only it snowed as much as it does back in my hometown. I would actually really enjoy that, it was a huge part of my childhood and one of the few things I sorely miss after moving to Japan.

It's tough and expensive to visit my home country as much as I'd like, but I guess Akita in the winter time would be great fun. :3

Aizo

Banned
I'd rather go back to Aomori or Hokkaido than Akita for Winter fun, I think. I stayed in Akita for my friend's graduation at a university in the Winter of 2014, and I didn't really love it. I did love that monster they have that they traditionally scare bad children with, though. That's great. Hokkaido is more akin to the Winter I'm used to in my hometown, so I imagine Akita wouldn't feel like enough for you.

Ayumi

I'd rather go back to Aomori or Hokkaido than Akita for Winter fun, I think. I stayed in Akita for my friend's graduation at a university in the Winter of 2014, and I didn't really love it. I did love that monster they have that they traditionally scare bad children with, though. That's great. Hokkaido is more akin to the Winter I'm used to in my hometown, so I imagine Akita wouldn't feel like enough for you.

Never been to Hokkaido so I can't compare, but Akita (very north) has tons of snow, and that's actually more than in my hometown. At least from the photos I saw. Definitely taking the kids (husband included in that term) there ASAP, maybe next winter, to see myself what it's like. Would love to go even more north, it's been too long since I've gone skiing/snowboarding. :<

Where is your favorite place for skiing, or just fun snow stuff?

Can someone help me translate my shower/Gas panels?

My GF will murder me if she has to take a tepid shower again.

http://m.imgur.com/a/lmjSj

Someone who recently took the JLPT can probably translate this or read it better than me but I'll do my best.

First one: up down arrows are "Hot water supply temperature"

Top right: Operation on/off

The one below the arrows, bath reservation

to the right of that is automatic bath

Bottom left: clock display

Middle bottom: reheat bath

Bottom right: volume?

Second one: Clockwise

Hot water supply temperature

Operation on/off

Automatic bath

Reheat bath

Call

Volume?

This is difficult but I think it says preference/priority.

Last one:

Top: Lighting

Left to right, bottom: Dry, Warm/heating, Cool breeze, Ventilation

Ayumi

All you gotta do is adjust the temperature with the pink/blue arrows on the second panel, and then hit &#12405;&#12429;&#33258;&#21205; (pink) & wait for it to fill up. :v

Also, you can use &#21628;&#20986; to call and yell at your gf through the panel.

coughlanio

Thanks a bunch guys, each panel is complete with a post-it note with translations.

Turns out there may be a problem with my shower though, the pressure is pretty poor, and I think it's causing the boiler to not start up, or start up and shut off after a few minutes (the pressure seems to drop even more then).

This stuff is really dauting to navigate without a lick of Japanese. On the other hand, pretty sure it's going to drive me to learn as soon as possible.

matt360

Anyone using Netflix via VPN or smart DNS been blocked yet? Mine still works as of last night, but I heard all of the Marines over in Iwakuni have been blocked.

coughlanio

Got a Japanese repairman over to fix the low pressure issue on the shower. Turns out it was just a blockage in the hose.

Feel a bit stupid as it's something that I could have fixed with a quick trip to the 100 yen store, but screw it, didn't cost me a dime.

matt360

I thought that was a bluff. Too bad for them. People will likely just turn to pirating.

Not a bluff. Well, not entirely. Tonight I've gotten a couple pop up messages from Netflix saying that it appears I'm using an unblocker and it prevents me from watching. But if I restart my PS4 it starts working again.

bluethree

seriously to hell with cell phone providers here for denying you contracts based on your remaining visa time. 2 years as a customer and I cant get a new phone? luckily i still managed to get a great &#19968;&#25324; deal with au for transferring over (just over 2man for the note edge)

Ayumi

seriously to hell with cell phone providers here for denying you contracts based on your remaining visa time. 2 years as a customer and I cant get a new phone? luckily i still managed to get a great &#19968;&#25324; deal with au for transferring over (just over 2man for the note edge)

Eh.. can't really blame them because of how many foreigners run away from their bills once their visa is up & they go home.

bluethree

I can kind of see that, but it still sucks when you've been using their services for years without issue.

Anyway, it all worked out in the end and I dont have to worry about paying off my phone or large cancellation fees.

Darksol

I've flat out bought a new phone because I anticipated exactly this problem.

It does sound like you got a decent deal in the end though :)

bluethree

I've flat out bought a new phone because I anticipated exactly this problem.

It does sound like you got a decent deal in the end though :)

Wish I had the cash for this now! I hate dealing with contracts. I'm lucky that I could at least find this deal, but so far the battery life is pretty bad compared to my last phone. I might stop by au again today to see if I can return/change to a better phone on contract. (I've gotten conflicting messages from them about this). If not, oh well, a phone this price is still a good stopgap solution until I renew my visa :)

The people at the au I visited were otherwise pretty friendly and their speeds are fantastic so far.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
From what I remember, they have to do to a check like if you're going to pay in installments for something over 10 man? Or something like that.

Anyway, I started a contract for iPhone 6s half a year before renewing my visa and had no problems, it seems like your work place/salary might be a bigger factor than your Visa.

bluethree

From what I remember, they have to do to a check like if you're going to pay in installments for something over 10 man? Or something like that.

Anyway, I started a contract for iPhone 6s half a year before renewing my visa and had no problems, it seems like your work place/salary might be a bigger factor than your Visa.

Yeah going to check now. Like I said I heard different things from different staff at au. Same with docomo - I checked with them in Kyushu and they said no problem, but here in Yokohama they said no. If salary was a factor that shouldnt be a problem in my case. I'm bringing my contract (which is past my visa date) to show I'll be here longer though I doubt it will matter much.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah going to check now. Like I said I heard different things from different staff at au. Same with docomo - I checked with them in Kyushu and they said no problem, but here in Yokohama they said no. If salary was a factor that shouldnt be a problem in my case. I'm bringing my contract (which is past my visa date) to show I'll be here longer though I doubt it will matter much.
In my case the name of my company, my yearly salary and (I think) information from my gaijin card was all that I had to enter into their system on an ipad, which was then checked externally (took about 10 minutes).

Darksol

Less than 24 hours left in Canada! I'll be in Japan for the foreseeable future.

The Canadian dollar has now shot up to 86 yen and it's still rising. Last week it was at 79. By the time I get off the plane I may be sitting at 87-89 yen. Either way I'm very happy and I'll convert ASAP.

Darksol

Anyone know a good brand of over the counter antihistamine or will I need to see a doctor?

Edit: nevermind, found a decent brand after all :)

bluethree

Internet and pocket wifi contracts don't have the stupid visa restrictions do they? The place I'm in now comes with pretty crappy internet (it's already down and I haven't even been here a week).

Guru-Guru

Banned
Aww man, forgot that sumo tickets go on sale for the big tourney in Osaka in March. They went on sale at 11, and were sold out by the time I remembered to check at 11:30. I wanted to go to the final day when my bro and his gf are coming to visit me. :(

Anybody been before? It says that they sell a limited amount of general admission arena tickets the day of the event. I'm wondering what my odds are of getting some if we show up the morning of the event...

Top Bottom