• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

kubus

Waseda is pretty great, btw. I did a year on exchange there, got the JASSO scholarship. It has the same problems that most universities in Japan do (course registration is a pain in the ass, quality of professors/classes can vary widely, etc.), but the office that handles foreign students is well-organized/helpful, student life is great, and the dorms (if you decide to live in one) are located within 5 min walk of the campus. The campus is in Takadanobaba which is like 4 mins from Shinjuku station, 9 from Shibuya, IIRC--location is great. Very easy to get to anywhere in Tokyo for the weekend, travelling, and so on. As for classes, Generally-speaking, the Japanese language courses are excellent and you would definitely improve your Japanese if you put the effort in. If you plan to take English courses on politics, history, economics or whatever, you might not actually learn anything...Those courses are SUPER easy though! It was great for me, as I took those courses and got credits for equivalent (but way harder!) courses at my home university.

Anyhow, kind of rambling now, but definitely look up Waseda!
Hey, thanks for the input! It's always nice to hear about somebody's experience because it's hard to get a clear picture of how school life is going to be at these universities. It does sound like a good experience, I might have to reconsider putting Waseda on my list :p.

I won't have my recommendation letter until tomorrow (hopefully it doesn't have it be revised...) and then I'll have to post everything right away because the deadline is already on Friday. I'm so stressed out about not making it in time... I should've decided sooner whether I wanted to apply or not :p. I might not be able to fill in the form in Japanese either because I don't know if there's enough time to have my Japanese checked. Ugh. Hopefully it's not that big of a deal and they won't auto-reject it because I didn't write in Japanese :(

Anyway kind of rambling in here but I just needed a place to vent because of all the stress. I'm super determined to get the scholarship now though so that's good :D.

Ayumi

I'll take 34C and August any day over this cold and goofy weather. WHERE IS SPRING? I'm freezing to death.
Ironic considering where I grew up.

(´Д`ι)

Darksol

I'll take 34C and August any day over this cold and goofy weather. WHERE IS SPRING? I'm freezing to death.
Ironic considering where I grew up.

(´Д`ι)

We're not even in the negative degrees :p

I'll be bitching all through summer though. I hate anything over 25C and I hate humidity so...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The only annoying part about winter temperatures in Japan is that the regular apartments have 0 isolation. It doesn't help in Summer, because you have to use the AC/open doors and windows anyway, since the natural flow of air isn't nearly enough and it's terrible in Winter, since it's just cold if you're not using anything to warm up the place.

I don't really get this logic, aside from the fact that these kind of apartments are easier to make. If you have good isolation, you waste less money when using AC when it's hot and you waste less money to make the place warm.

maszu

Neo Member
The only annoying part about winter temperatures in Japan is that the regular apartments have 0 isolation. It doesn't help in Summer, because you have to use the AC/open doors and windows anyway, since the natural flow of air isn't nearly enough and it's terrible in Winter, since it's just cold if you're not using anything to warm up the place.

I don't really get this logic, aside from the fact that these kind of apartments are easier to make. If you have good isolation, you waste less money when using AC when it's hot and you waste less money to make the place warm.

Yea, it's ridiculous. I've read a lot online about this recently. Apparently most of the regular apartments build aren't regarded as a long term investment to the developers so they often cut costs and omit installing double glazed windows or insulation. Let me just add that this approach isn't exactly the ideal here in Nagano ken...

The big windows/glass doors get to me sometimes. I know people in this country are crazy about natural light in the apartments but really? Not exactly useful in winter when cold air just waltzes into your already cold room... and I'm not home most of the time to appreciate the natural light anyway. Sorry for the rant but Japanese houses are just pure mystery to me sometimes.

Darksol

I have Guinea pigs, and they're basically happy at the same temp as humans. So even when I'm gone I'm still leaving the heater on. It'll be the same but with AC in summer. Such a waste of electricity :/

Resilient

Yea, it's ridiculous. I've read a lot online about this recently. Apparently most of the regular apartments build aren't regarded as a long term investment to the developers so they often cut costs and omit installing double glazed windows or insulation. Let me just add that this approach isn't exactly the ideal here in Nagano ken...

The big windows/glass doors get to me sometimes. I know people in this country are crazy about natural light in the apartments but really? Not exactly useful in winter when cold air just waltzes into your already cold room... and I'm not home most of the time to appreciate the natural light anyway. Sorry for the rant but Japanese houses are just pure mystery to me sometimes.

The buildings arent built as long term investments - for real? can you link me to the sources you've been reading that discuss this stuff cause it's up my alley. Eng or Japanese.

The natural light thing is probably part of the Japanese building standards. usually there is a reason for that sort of stuff.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The buildings arent built as long term investments - for real? can you link me to the sources you've been reading that discuss this stuff cause it's up my alley. Eng or Japanese.

The natural light thing is probably part of the Japanese building standards. usually there is a reason for that sort of stuff.
I would have amazing natural lightning in my apartment if there wasn't another building 1-2 m from my veranda.

Resilient

I would have amazing natural lightning in my apartment if there wasn't another building 1-2 m from my veranda.

usually there is a reason for that sort of stuff ;P

Building standards are a little wonky from the everyday persons perspective in any country. Curious to know if the shitty building situation is an actual thing though

Ayumi

Our livingroom walls are pretty much windows only. They're great for keeping warm in the winter (since the sun rises on the same side), but are awfully hot in the summer.

But I find the natural light kinda depressing. It's of a blue shade, while the light form our lamps are yellow. Does that make any sense? It makes me feel that even though it's bright in the living room, it's kind of a sad color.

maszu

Neo Member

I wish I was joking.

http://freakonomics.com/2014/02/26/why-are-japanese-homes-disposable-full-transcript/
YOSHIDA: According to an engineering study, approximately half of houses are demolished before 38 years of building age in Japan…
http://www.archdaily.com/450212/why-japan-is-crazy-about-housing/
Houses in Japan rapidly depreciate like consumer durable goods – cars, fridges, golf clubs, etc. After 15 years, a home typically loses all value and is demolished on average just 30 years after being built.

Vs 100 years in the US.
Because the properties lose value the moment they are finished, the developers make compromises when building them. In other words, bye bye insulation and proper windows. I don't remember if it mentioned in any of the articles above but almost always it's the land which is more valuable than the actual property.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
/thatguy

Insulation exists, my condo has it (central heating too!). All of my friends' houses have it. You just need to stop living in shitty, cheap places (or paying for location over quality) or build your own place.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
/thatguy

Insulation exists, my condo has it (central heating too!). All of my friends' houses have it. You just need to stop living in shitty, cheap places (or paying for location over quality) or build your own place.
You're missing the point. Sure, with enough money you can have insulation, heated floor - you can even live in a castle. The problem is that a stupid thing like insulation isn't a standard across the board, like in other places with similar climate.

Of course you could find apartments without proper insulation everywhere, but it's much more common here and when confronted about it (for example a few years ago when I was staying in a dorm), you get something about Summer and natural air flow.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've just been hearing this same thing for the last 15 years since the moment I got off the plane. Yes, it's not a standard. You all know that. You all know how to fix it. It's just one of those go to foreigner internet things like deodorant or separating the trash that I wouldn't expect to see in this thread of Japan experts.

Next thing you guys will be telling me how you can't believe people in your home country don't wear masks when they're sick. It make so much sense!

Resilient

I wish I was joking.

http://freakonomics.com/2014/02/26/why-are-japanese-homes-disposable-full-transcript/

http://www.archdaily.com/450212/why-japan-is-crazy-about-housing/

Vs 100 years in the US.
Because the properties lose value the moment they are finished, the developers make compromises when building them. In other words, bye bye insulation and proper windows. I don't remember if it mentioned in any of the articles above but almost always it's the land which is more valuable than the actual property.

dude holy shit. Those houses are awesome. The lax regulations are almost a blessing. It means you don't see carbon copies of the same looking shakes all through suburban areas. Provided we get to a point where the demolition leads to recycling of materials...those houses are nothing good heating and cooling systems can't fix.

Lol they basically told the architects and engineers to go wild.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've just been hearing this same thing for the last 15 years since the moment I got off the plane. Yes, it's not a standard. You all know that. You all know how to fix it. It's just one of those go to foreigner internet things like deodorant or separating the trash that I wouldn't expect to see in this thread of Japan experts.

Next thing you guys will be telling me how you can't believe people in your home country don't wear masks when they're sick. It make so much sense!
Didn't have enough money for an insulated condo in the middle of Shinjuku when I started my first job right after graduating university. Nothing to be surprised about, really.

I'm an expert

Right, that's not surprising. What is surprising is that you're no longer that first year gaijin but you're still bringing up insulation. Anyone who stays longer than a few years and isn't working the equivalent of retail would be able to rectify the issue - was my point.

Dingens

Welp, looks like I'm applying for the Monbusho scholarship this year. My school wants to recommend me :x. I'm a bit nervous and the paperwork needed is already giving me a headache, but if I get this I would be overjoyed. One year of studying in Japan all paid by the government? Hell yes.[...]

Wanted to add another option or at least something to consider:

when I had the chance to study in Japan for a year, I also applied for the usual Universities (Waseda, Keio, Tufs, Temple...), but midway through the application process I had a long talk with one of my professors who gave me some good advice: If you are just interested in learning the language and want the "real" japanese university live experience, pick a smaller unknown university. And well... that's exactly what I did and went to Yokohama instead. After talking to many classmates from my home university who happened to study in Japan during the same year at different universities (TUFS, TCU, Osaka Dai and a few others - basically bigger and more prestigious universities), I was sure I made the right decision.
Even though all my friends went to different Universities in different parts of the country, their experiences there seemed to be surprisingly similar... In a nutshell:

- Small and/or shitty (and usually expensive) room
- living and learning in a bubble (I like to call it exchange student ghetto)
- therefore limited contact to regular students

sufficed to say my experiences were completely different...

My University (YCU) was quite small (like 5k students tops), with one main campus near Zushi/Yokosuka (there were a few smaller ones, but those are mainly research related).

Living:
The University arranged for 2 apartments (I had to leave the first one in April due to construction). Both apartments were amazingly big (and cheap) for japanese standards. The first one was close to 35m² and located in a quiet neighbourhood, about 12 minutes by bike from the University. The 2nd one was way smaller but at least it was cheaper and the facilities were great, clean and modern. Additionally my room was located on the 13th floor and featured a great view over Tokyo Bay, the Yokohama Skyline and if the weather was good even Mount Fuji (Tokyo and Kawasaki were also visible, kinda).

Education:
because the University was this small, the total number of exchange students was 7 (I was told that this was a particularly strong year, the year before there were only 2). Because of this low number, there is no dedicated exchange student program - but there were mandatory classes. The obligatory japanese language classes (2x3 hours a week) and a more scientific paper writing class. The former is only for exchange students - therefore if you're lucky (few exchange students), you'll have private lessons, basically. The 2nd one was for exchange students AND students who either went abroad or had an "international background" (like hafus). You are also supposed to take a seminar class about a topic the suits you, but the japanese level here is incredible high. So if you felt that you skills weren't up to standards, you could skip it. Besides those 2(3) classes, you could choose whatever you like. There are a few English classes, but those are the minority (there were like 5? per semester).
The lecturers were quite interesting I thought. It's a small university without a big budget so I didn't expect much, but was quite surprised about the quality I got. Most professors weren't party of the University but on some sort of Rotation - they are originally from another University but give one or 2 classes here. For example, one of the japanese language class teachers was from Todai, the other one from Yokohama Kokuritsu. The history teacher was an American from Temple university and a sociology professor was from Waseda. There was also an Ambassador giving a lecture on foreign affairs.

there is so much more stuff I could talk about... but I guess that should suffice for now.
(btw: I'm not necessarily promoting the YCU here, but would rather give you the same advice my professor gave me: don't go for the most prestigious one, try something more interesting once in a while)
For disclaimer: I didn't receive the Monbusho but went through the normal student exchange program from my University. I did however receive a JASSO.

Fritz

JapanGAF, when's a got time to visit the Tokyo area for autumn foliage?

Last time I went was (accidentally) for cherry blossoms. I am really eager to revisit and I figured autumn would be nice. I'd like it to be warm/mild and sunny though. Which wasn't necessarily the case for spring.

kubus

Thanks for sharing! Some very helpful info in there.

I can somewhat relate to your experience. Last year our entire class went to Japan to study for one semester at one of our school's partner universities. My grades were good enough that I was allowed to apply for Nanzan University, which apparently was the only university that was a bit picky about which students they let in. At first I was honored and eager to apply, but eventually I decided against it. Apparently most Japanese students there were on vacation or something for the greater part of my stay in Japan so I would be stuck with only the other foreign students. In the end I wound up at Jissen Women's University on the outskirts of Tokyo, where me and one classmate were the only exchange students and we got private lessons the entire semester. Because we were the only foreign students we were often given special attention and at times it was a bit embarrassing when they threw a welcome party for just the two of us. But I learned a lot because of the private classes (and the dorm we stayed in was super nice). When I returned to my home country, I also got the feeling that my classmates that went to big universities like Kyoto Gaidai didn't learn as much because they were also living in that bubble you mentioned. Aaand the girls that went to Nanzan University complained about the lack of natives at the school :p. So I'm glad I made that decision.

For this scholarship, I still put TUFS at #1 but I put some smaller universities on #2 (Nanzan again) and #3 (Shizuoka). I was a bit on the fence whether to put Yokohama on there. If I had read your post earlier I think I would've :p. Oh well, no point to worrying about it now.

Sakura

I got an email from the Japanese language school I applied at that my application was approved and they have my CoE.
Now I just need to come up with money for tuition and everything and I should be there in April~
If only the CAD wasn't so shitty ;_;

zeromcd73

Hi Japan Gaf! I'll be moving to Kyoto on the 16th to start University for a semester at Kyoto Ritsumeikan. I'm super excited and am fairly confident with my language skills (N1 level+), but I do have some things I'm nervous about...
- living and learning in a bubble (I like to call it exchange student ghetto)
- therefore limited contact to regular students
Oh wait, these are pretty much them. Argh, I'm so worried about this. Apparently when we go to orientation we take tests to determine if we take regular language classes for foreigners, or if you do really well you can take the regular classes that Japanese people take. I was thinking for a moment to bomb the test and just have an easy ride all semester doing language classes, but I definitely would prefer being around the regular Japanese students.

Hope to talk to you all more!

Edit:
I got an email from the Japanese language school I applied at that my application was approved and they have my CoE.
Now I just need to come up with money for tuition and everything and I should be there in April~
If only the CAD wasn't so shitty ;_;
Congrats! ゜ω゜)人(゜ω゜=)

I know that feeling. Had to pay dorm fees today and was surprised at how shitty the exchange rate was. I always just calculated $1 = 100yen so was dissapointed to see it was instead 75cents = 100yen ・゜・(ノД`)

Dingens

[...]
For this scholarship, I still put TUFS at #1 but I put some smaller universities on #2 (Nanzan again) and #3 (Shizuoka). I was a bit on the fence whether to put Yokohama on there. If I had read your post earlier I think I would've :p. Oh well, no point to worrying about it now.

TUFS is pretty neat, I also wanted to go there a few years ago... but they only had one spot to give away, so I didn't even bother. From what I've been told, there are 3 dorms there, and 2 of them are a complete nightmare... I can't recal which ones but if you get accepted, you should probably try to find out and do your best to avoid those! (showers are "outside", basically). Also the former mentioned insulation problem...

also forgot to mention: It only took 7 minutes by train from YCU to Zushi (which had an acceptable beach and a lot nice bars) and about 15 Minutes to Kamakura. Went their pretty much every week after class to hang out.

Hi Japan Gaf! I'll be moving to Kyoto on the 16th to start University for a semester at Kyoto Ritsumeikan. I'm super excited and am fairly confident with my language skills (N1 level+), but I do have some things I'm nervous about...[...]

No need to be nervous. It's a pretty good university from what I've been told, so please don't screw up your test. You are going to regret it.
Too bad I didn't really know the girl who went their during my term... Would've loved to hear her story too.

edit: going back to the insulation stuff:
I was wondering if there are any articles or papers about how this affects real estate speculation? If buildings aren't worth anything, it seems rather unlikely that anyone would buy apartments in bulk as some sort of investment...

kubus

Hi Japan Gaf! I'll be moving to Kyoto on the 16th to start University for a semester at Kyoto Ritsumeikan. I'm super excited and am fairly confident with my language skills (N1 level+), but I do have some things I'm nervous about...

Oh wait, these are pretty much them. Argh, I'm so worried about this. Apparently when we go to orientation we take tests to determine if we take regular language classes for foreigners, or if you do really well you can take the regular classes that Japanese people take. I was thinking for a moment to bomb the test and just have an easy ride all semester doing language classes, but I definitely would prefer being around the regular Japanese students.

Hope to talk to you all more!
Congrats!

If you're worried about not being able to hang around with regular students, I suggest joining a club. You'll get a ton of connections in no time this way. I joined the Naginata club during my exchange where I was able to make some friends. Though it didn't give me much opportunity to actually talk with the club members because we were concentrating on practicing all the time. Because of this we only really talked in the dressing room. So keep this in mind when choosing a club to join :p.

My university also offered some sort of "mentor program". I had to fill in a sheet about my hobbies and stuff and the university would assign me a "mentor" with similar interests. You get in touch via LINE or e-mail and then meet up whenever you both have time. I met this super sweet girl this way who introduced me to her friends and we would meet up every week during lunch break and just talk and laugh. Maybe your university has something similar set up?

TUFS is pretty neat, I also wanted to go there a few years ago... but they only had one spot to give away, so I didn't even bother. From what I've been told, there are 3 dorms there, and 2 of them are a complete nightmare... I can't recal which ones but if you get accepted, you should probably try to find out and do your best to avoid those! (showers are "outside", basically). Also the former mentioned insulation problem...

also forgot to mention: It only took 7 minutes by train from YCU to Zushi (which had an acceptable beach and a lot nice bars) and about 15 Minutes to Kamakura. Went their pretty much every week after class to hang out.
Really, only one spot? Yeah I would give up immediately as well, lol. Those dorms sound like a nightmare, thanks for the heads up. I really hope I can get an apartment though. I'm planning on having my boyfriend fly over a couple of times and having my own place would save a lot on hotel costs. When/if I go to the embassy for the interview I'll sneak in a comment about also being okay with YCU :p.

zeromcd73

No need to be nervous. It's a pretty good university from what I've been told, so please don't screw up your test. You are going to regret it.
Too bad I didn't really know the girl who went their during my term... Would've loved to hear her story too.
Your reassurance has put my heart at ease a little. Thank you. And yeah, bombing the test was just a stupid little thing in the back of my mind, certainly won't happen.

Congrats!

If you're worried about not being able to hang around with regular students, I suggest joining a club. You'll get a ton of connections in no time this way. I joined the Naginata club during my exchange where I was able to make some friends. Though it didn't give me much opportunity to actually talk with the club members because we were concentrating on practicing all the time. Because of this we only really talked in the dressing room. So keep this in mind when choosing a club to join :p.

My university also offered some sort of "mentor program". I had to fill in a sheet about my hobbies and stuff and the university would assign me a "mentor" with similar interests. You get in touch via LINE or e-mail and then meet up whenever you both have time. I met this super sweet girl this way who introduced me to her friends and we would meet up every week during lunch break and just talk and laugh. Maybe your university has something similar set up?
They do indeed have a mentor program! I read about it the other week and was planning on doing it. I'm also certainly going to join a club as well. I was looking through the website and I think they had over 700-ish clubs. Absolutely insane compared to here in Australia.

The uni has also has free gym membership for students. So stoked! Curious to see how similar/different Japanese gyms are to ours.

Sakura

Congrats! ゜ω゜)人(゜ω゜=)

I know that feeling. Had to pay dorm fees today and was surprised at how shitty the exchange rate was. I always just calculated $1 = 100yen so was dissapointed to see it was instead 75cents = 100yen ・゜・(ノД`)
Thanks!
If you are having a hard time meeting Japanese people at school, there is always outside school as well!
While it's obviously less paying than a job say teaching English, if you are able to, you could always try working at a convenience store or something. Many employees are often university students as well.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Your reassurance has put my heart at ease a little. Thank you. And yeah, bombing the test was just a stupid little thing in the back of my mind, certainly won't happen.

They do indeed have a mentor program! I read about it the other week and was planning on doing it. I'm also certainly going to join a club as well. I was looking through the website and I think they had over 700-ish clubs. Absolutely insane compared to here in Australia.

The uni has also has free gym membership for students. So stoked! Curious to see how similar/different Japanese gyms are to ours.
I have a bunch of friends who went on exchange to Rits back in the day--IIRC, all of them really loved it.

Making Japanese friends is obviously doable, but keep in mind that you are only there for a semester, so that will make things a bit more difficult!

As for gyms, the uni gym will probably be well-equipped, but expect a ton more cardio machines and way less squat racks, free weights, benches, etc. I have been to various gyms in Japan...Fitness knowledge, particularly with weight training, seems like it is 40 years in the past here. People do the most ridiculous crap, and at my current gym, the only people training with proper form are other foreigners. You'll definitely see some funny shit at the gym that will make good stories though!

zeromcd73

Thanks!
If you are having a hard time meeting Japanese people at school, there is always outside school as well!
While it's obviously less paying than a job say teaching English, if you are able to, you could always try working at a convenience store or something. Many employees are often university students as well.
Thanks for the tips! Will keep it as a plan C incase everything goes wrong and I end up a loner!

I have a bunch of friends who went on exchange to Rits back in the day--IIRC, all of them really loved it.

Making Japanese friends is obviously doable, but keep in mind that you are only there for a semester, so that will make things a bit more difficult!

As for gyms, the uni gym will probably be well-equipped, but expect a ton more cardio machines and way less squat racks, free weights, benches, etc. I have been to various gyms in Japan...Fitness knowledge, particularly with weight training, seems like it is 40 years in the past here. People do the most ridiculous crap, and at my current gym, the only people training with proper form are other foreigners. You'll definitely see some funny shit at the gym that will make good stories though!
Good to hear even more positive impressions. It's not a huge amount of time but I still plan on at least trying to find a small close-knit group of friends! Our international coordinator even made a joke saying that we should try bring a girlfriend/boyfriend back with us. Apparently a guy who went to Germany a few years back brought back a German girl with him allowing for the ultimate cultural exchange ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That gym thing sounds a bit annoying though. I usually do my cardio outside around parks and whatnot so it seems like such a waist. The only ones you really see around here screwing up (besides beginners who immediately quit) is the lat pulldown. Don't know what it is with that one, but so many people do it wrong and damn just looking at it makes my back ache.

Hi!

I'm moving to Japan from the US in a couple weeks and I was wondering how most of you brought your money over? Im bringing a significant amount and I'm not completely comfortable bringing thousands of dollars in cash. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ayumi

Hi!

I'm moving to Japan from the US in a couple weeks and I was wondering how most of you brought your money over? Im bringing a significant amount and I'm not completely comfortable bringing thousands of dollars in cash. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Don't you have a US bank account? I wouldn't take out everything at once and exchange it if I were you.... if you keep it in your bank, then it's safe. Plus, the currency changes often.

What do you do if you lose the money?

Don't you have a US bank account? I wouldn't take out everything at once and exchange it if I were you.... if you keep it in your bank, then it's safe. Plus, the currency changes often.

What do you do if you lose the money?

I will definitely still have a US account with money left in there, but I will be bringing a decent amount with me at the beginning to get myself situated.

Hi!

Being what you need immediately and leave the rest. You can pull from your US account at 711 ATMs as necessary.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I will definitely still have a US account with money left in there, but I will be bringing a decent amount with me at the beginning to get myself situated.
Are you coming as a student, or for work? I brought 150,000 yen with me. I ended up using around 80,000 in my first month before I got paid. How much money you need really varies on your situation.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
As mentioned before, joining a club is not only the best way to meet people, but also make friends with people with similar interests. Unless you're the type of person who constantly talks to everyone around them, even going to regular classes with Japanese students probably wouldn't lead to that much socialization.
Oh, they've built that 3rd dorm already? When I was there 4-5 years ago, there were 2 and one, like you said, had showers outside rooms (can't imagine that in the Winter). You couldn't choose which dorm you were assigned to, but all MEXT people got rooms in the "normal" dorm.

Really, only one spot? Yeah I would give up immediately as well, lol. Those dorms sound like a nightmare, thanks for the heads up. I really hope I can get an apartment though. I'm planning on having my boyfriend fly over a couple of times and having my own place would save a lot on hotel costs. When/if I go to the embassy for the interview I'll sneak in a comment about also being okay with YCU :p.
Speaking of programs, TUFS had a "Tutor" program, where you could apply to have a Japanese student help you with stuff (in a very broad sense). Checking your reports before you submitted them, helping with homework/studying or just hanging around. For them it was a part time job, paid by the University, but most people I knew were really satisfied with it.

As for the dorm and inviting other people, in mine it was strictly prohibited. I guess you could rent your own place, but with all the 礼金、 敷金 etc. it's probably not worth it if you're only coming for one year.
Hi!

This depends on what you want to buy. If you want to rent an apartment, be aware that many places still make you pay the above mentioned 礼金, 敷金 etc., which can total up to 5 months worth of rent. Iirc that's how much I had to pay before moving in, but it might've included the first month or two of rent.

Aizo

Banned
Murakami Exhibit was awesome.
What do artists like Mik think about Murakami?

I've personally always felt that, while some of his stuff is interesting, his uses of Pop Art and Superflat are too ironic for me to take seriously--regardless of whether or not that's intentional. Creating Superflat as a representation of empty consumerism is at odds with acting as the director of your pieces, having them completed by a team, and then having the pieces mass produced and sold. It's like if Banksy himself removed his own street art, mass produced it, and subsequently sold it. It completely loses its impact, doesn't it?

He also attempts to analyze sexual feitishization in Japanese culture, but then he creates pieces that lack any high concept; they function as the same art he ostensibly critiques. Many of his figures are often culprits of this. It's as if, in one's attempt to deconstruct a concept critically, he fell into utilizing the same tropes he intended to denounce.

It feels like one big joke to me--a joke which half the viewers don't recognize, and love unironically (which would also be ironic). Perhaps the point was that Murakami would make this oblique spiral of conceptual absurdity and irony that is really just like ouroboros when you take a step back. Is it just an ongoing Socraric irony, and I'm falling for it? That would be quite played out. It's either super hip and self aware, or he just sold out. Either way, I'm really not into it for the most part.

Sakura

Hi!

The first time I went to Japan I brought about 350,000 yen in cash.
Once I opened a bank account in Japan, I would just transfer money from my Canadian bank account to my Japanese one online. Alternatively, I would also occasionally just withdraw money at ATMs.

Darksol

What do artists like Mik think about Murakami?

I've personally always felt that, while some of his stuff is interesting, his uses of Pop Art and Superflat are too ironic for me to take seriously--regardless of whether or not that's intentional. Creating Superflat as a representation of empty consumerism is at odds with acting as the director of your pieces, having them completed by a team, and then having the pieces mass produced and sold. It's like if Banksy himself removed his own street art, mass produced it, and subsequently sold it. It completely loses its impact, doesn't it?

He also attempts to analyze sexual feitishization in Japanese culture, but then he creates pieces that lack any high concept; they function as the same art he ostensibly critiques. Many of his figures are often culprits of this. It's as if, in one's attempt to deconstruct a concept critically, he fell into utilizing the same tropes he intended to denounce.

It feels like one big joke to me--a joke which half the viewers don't recognize, and love unironically (which would also be ironic). Perhaps the point was that Murakami would make this oblique spiral of conceptual absurdity and irony that is really just like ouroboros when you take a step back. Is it just an ongoing Socraric irony, and I'm falling for it? That would be quite played out. It's either super hip and self aware, or he just sold out. Either way, I'm really not into it for the most part.

The exhibit was for 500 Arhats, a series of 100 meter long paintings he did after the earthquake. It's mostly filled with Buddhist influences. Nothing like his previous work really. Not pop culture at all.

Regardless I don't care if his previous work was irony or a joke. I like what I like :p He also freely admits that his work is as much commercialism as it is art. I don't think you can "sell out" if that's been part of the goal the entire time.

Porcile

I find Takashi Murakami's stuff so purposefully impenetrable and introverted that it's impossible for me to give a shit.

Porcile

I like a good art-troll as much as the next guy, but I have no attachment to his visual aesthetic. His concept might be funny and all that, but if the primary means by which I'm supposed to engage with his work (visual) falls flat, then it's hard for me to care about anything else.

Aizo

Banned
I like a good art-troll as much as the next guy, but I have no attachment to his visual aesthetic. His concept might be funny and all that, but if the primary means by which I'm supposed to engage with his work (visual) falls Superflat, then it's hard for me to care about anything else.
I fixed that for you.
Low-hanging fruit. I'm sorry.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Right, that's not surprising. What is surprising is that you're no longer that first year gaijin but you're still bringing up insulation. Anyone who stays longer than a few years and isn't working the equivalent of retail would be able to rectify the issue - was my point.

come come now - our house is 320m2 + and insulation of that sort of building is a royal pain in the arse.

The more obvious solution for the moment is just to invest in aircon/heaters - which we did because we KNOW we are going to have to tear this place down at some point.

By default - there is no insulation - that is a genuine obvious niggle. Having people who have been here for more than a year fix it isn't a solution - it has to be a fundamental change in house building.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I'm my own house insulation.

PS: I need a new housekeeper, if you have any friend or know anyone who does that, please PM me.

kubus

Speaking of programs, TUFS had a "Tutor" program, where you could apply to have a Japanese student help you with stuff (in a very broad sense). Checking your reports before you submitted them, helping with homework/studying or just hanging around. For them it was a part time job, paid by the University, but most people I knew were really satisfied with it.

As for the dorm and inviting other people, in mine it was strictly prohibited. I guess you could rent your own place, but with all the 礼金、 敷金 etc. it's probably not worth it if you're only coming for one year.
Yeah If I get TUFS I'll go for the dorm because like you said, apartment is probably not worth it. Unless I get the dorm with the outside showers, lol. That sounds like a nightmare. But for other universities sometimes they offer cheap places without 礼金 etc.

I was called by the embassy yesterday that I'll probably get an invitation soon for the interview and test, so it's studying time for me now. Oh, I wrote about wanting to study game localization controversy for my research and I just checked out the other applicant from my school on social media and the guy is apparently a huge anti-Treehouse activist due to the Fire Emblem controversy and he regrets that the game sold so much, lol. Makes me wonder if he had the same research idea. That would be interesting.

Top Bottom