• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Can you guys stop saying stuff like suit-ish jackets and business jackets.. =/

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Grown men need to know what a blazer or sports jacket is. Don't perpetuate your interac stereotype please. Have you even posted yet about how (awful) it's been yet? Where are you again? Yokohama? I'll be there in a few weeks if you need a man tutorial.

Porcile

Grown men need to know what a blazer or sports jacket is. Don't perpetuate your interac stereotype please. Have you even posted yet about how (awful) it's been yet? Where are you again? Yokohama? I'll be there in a few weeks if you need a man tutorial.

hey you're nothing but a big meanie. I don't need your manscaping tutorial.

I'm an expert

Look past the charming wit and answer the question lol. How's it goin over there.

Porcile

School hasn't started yet, and I've only just moved in so have mostly been sorting out day to day life stuff (well, as much as there is a for an ALT). Close to the city, nice quiet town but with a bunch of amenities. Not too bad so far. Nothing crazy.

I'm an expert

Did you do your anime wall scroll run yet?

Sounds like you overpreped and there's nothing there to surprise you. The fun in the beginning is the micro agression.

Resilient

Sorting out day to day life stuff hey?

sometimes when I'm knee deep in shit mid week, still in the office at 11pm, I think about submitting an app to be an ALT.

I'm an expert

By my math you two should be above jlpt1 level at this point so you can at least get real jobs.

Porcile

Did you do your anime wall scroll run yet?

Sounds like you overpreped and there's nothing there to surprise you. The fun in the beginning is the micro agression.

I've got to decorate this 5sqm apartment somehow.

I guess, other than being ignored by strangers and the old ass dudes who populate town during the day, the only time I've felt some genuine microaggression was from this old Chinese lady who ran a restaurant I randomly decided to walk into in central Yokohama. To be honest, you said I'd be coddled like a baby, but people really don't speak English round here or even seem to want to try, so I have to communicate with my lame Japanese only and it gets things done one way or the other. You're right though, kind of boring if I think about, wtf. I haven't really chanced my luck in the local pubs though.

Sorting out day to day life stuff hey?

sometimes when I'm knee deep in shit mid week, still in the office at 11pm, I think about submitting an app to be an ALT.

It's not like the financial perks are great, unless you're a JET, but I even had a bunch of money saved from working at my university and doing projects prior, so moving in and buying all the crap I wanted so that I wasn't sleeping in a garbage bag wasn't even hard, so it's not like I can play the miserable, impoverished card either lol

Any tips on making it harder for myself? lol

Resilient

Any tips on making it harder for myself? lol

yeah, if you go out with friends and get knocked back anywhere, just say

たちは全員日本語を喋る。

keep us updated, either ITT or the language one, I like hearing about what you're getting up to (Y)

Porcile

yeah, if you go out with friends and get knocked back anywhere, just say

たちは全員日本語を喋る。

keep us updated, either ITT or the language one, I like hearing about what you're getting up to (Y)

Between the three threads I frequent and all the dumb crap I post, I am surprised anyone cares.

I'd be down for a drink in Tokyo sometime if you're ever down for it.

Sure :) Speaking of which, I haven't actually been up to Tokyo yet. Except vaguely passing through on the way from the airport.

Dingens

[...]To be honest, you said I'd be coddled like a baby, but people really don't speak English round here or even seem to want to try, so I have to communicate with my lame Japanese only and it gets things done one way or the other. You're right though, kind of boring if I think about, wtf. I haven't really chanced my luck in the local pubs though. [...]

who said that? people outside Tokyo generally are much more reluctant to speak English, at least that's the impression I got (which is usually considered a good thing if you want to learn the language).
I lived in Yokohama for quite a while, and not once have I been approached in English, so you'd better not expect that.
btw, if you look for bars (and if you are also into jazz) try Noge (or if you don't mind taking a small trip go to Zushi)! there are a LOT great places around that area! well minus the love hotels I guess. Kamakura is also fairly easy to reach from Yokohama and offers a few nice laid back cafes apart from the usual tourist crap.

also, enjoy your stay, Yokohama is a pretty great place! (and vastly different from Tokyo in pretty much all regards)

Resilient

I just wanna make a written record and say that post 3512 was a joke and should not be taken seriously

Porcile stop beating yourself up, you're a young go getter, you got a dream. Believe in yourself you pussy

Darksol

There's a place near me that sells this amazing 黒糖山椒唐揚げ. I'm pretty sure I can find the cane sugar but I've had no luck in finding the particular type of pepper. I'd love to try making it myself.

I'm an expert

Wtf.. I feel like it's been years talking about you doing CIR. How long is that shit.

Anyway where should I live while I look for places to build.. feel like Musashikoyama is the hot spot.

Gacha-pin

There's a place near me that sells this amazing 黒糖山椒唐揚げ. I'm pretty sure I can find the cane sugar but I've had no luck in finding the particular type of pepper. I'd love to try making it myself.
That's power of dried 山椒魚(サンショウウオ), don't know what it's called in English :p It suits anything, うどん、そば、湯豆腐、親子丼、みそ汁、焼き鳥...etc
食べ物のこと書いてたら腹減ってきた。少し早いけど昼飯に行ってくるノシ

Darksol

That's power of dried 山椒魚(サンショウウオ), don't know what it's called in English :p It suits anything, うどん、そば、湯豆腐、親子丼、みそ汁、焼き鳥...etc
食べ物のこと書いてたら腹減ってきた。少し早いけど昼飯に行ってくるノシ

Yeah I only know its botanical name in English. I just look for the kanji :p Thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye out for it. I hadn't considered using it on tofu!

It may be early, but it's still delicious. Best of luck on your hunger quest :p

Also where are everyone's corny hanami pics.

Here's one from Ikebukuro :p

CfhF7_9XEAU6IFI.jpg

Porcile

Dumbass gaijin question, but anyone know shops besides Uniqlo to buy super basic stuff like very plain v-neck sweaters and crew neck sweaters? Even some online shopping links would be totally daijoubu desu yo. Wearing a suit at the school just makes me feel weird as shit considering how the school itself is pretty chill and how casual some of the teachers dress, but I still want to keep it reasonably professional. I guess I'm going for that dapper look lol. I live in the Yokohama area for reference.

urfe

What's wrong with Uniqlo?

There's also GU, but it's the same company.

I honestly rarely buy clothes, so that's all I know. I like a skate shop in Shibuya called Stormy, but that's a little different.

Porcile

What's wrong with Uniqlo?

There's also GU, but it's the same company.

I honestly rarely buy clothes, so that's all I know. I like a skate shop in Shibuya called Stormy, but that's a little different.

Nothing, but the one I go to didn't have what I wanted in my size.

Resilient

I don't get the size thing. I've got a decent gym build and have never had issues when I buy clothes in Japan. Weird? I wear Uniqlo shirts frequently too..cheap and effective 💪

Darksol

I'm in Saitama prefecture so I felt absolutely nothing. Seems like it was quite a doozy though. Hopefully everyone is alright.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Another 6+ at 0:03. I hope everyone there is okay, since every big one is a hit for the buildings.

Dingens

Dumbass gaijin question, but anyone know shops besides Uniqlo to buy super basic stuff like very plain v-neck sweaters and crew neck sweaters? Even some online shopping links would be totally daijoubu desu yo. Wearing a suit at the school just makes me feel weird as shit considering how the school itself is pretty chill and how casual some of the teachers dress, but I still want to keep it reasonably professional. I guess I'm going for that dapper look lol. I live in the Yokohama area for reference.

In which district do you live?

the easiest would be Minato Mirai obviously, either Landmark Plaza or Queen’s Square. There are lots of other shopping centres around like Pacifico, World Porters and the Akarenga Warehouses.

For a start, I'd stick with Landmark Plaza (Negishi Line Sakuragicho Station or Minatomirai Line Minato Mirai Station) as that's the most easily accessible. also because it's connected to a few smaller centres like the former mentioned Queens Square Pacifico and MARK IS.
There is hardly anything else there besides clothing and food, so you should be fine.
If you don't like Uniqlo, there is also a big H&M in there!

Mik2121

That was a lot of quakes last night, huh. Obviously nothing here in Osaka, and apparently while it was quite bad in Kumamoto, it wasn't nearly as bad everywhere else in Kyushu.
With a 10km depth, some people argue Mt. Aso could erupt, but I hope that doesn't happen.

bluethree

It's affecting my company a bit too (in yokohama but it was founded in kyushu and they have a lot of factories there, some damage but thankfully no injuries). One of my students had to suddenly cancel to take care of something there.

Felt it pretty decently in Kagoshima. Nothing bad thankfully but certainly made getting to sleep earlier a bit more difficult. Felt a few aftershocks big enough for the auto alert on the phones to go off.

Getting a bit of aftershocks now too. A bit of wobble about an hour ago, nothing serious but could sort of feel it.

Other than that, anyone else's town/city doing campaigning. Gawd it's been all day for 2 weeks now. 50 something different campaigners riding around in loudspeaker cars from 9am to fucking 9pm. At the schools, in between, and since I live in the middle of the city I can't escape them at home either.

Aubergine

Neo Member
Longtime GAF lurker, first time poster.

I just recently got a job teaching English in Ise, Mie and I've been finding it pretty exciting so far. It's my first time in Japan and I remembered GAF has an OT for everything, so I wanted to introduce myself and get down to mingling with the other gaffers over here.

Mie is a bit off the beaten path, but if anyone has any suggestions/advice on the area I'd major preesh.

Also, if there's a good rundown post or anything with advice for a first time life in Japan, please let me know where that might be. I've got some of the major stuff figured out like a portable wifi hotspot and phone access stuff.

Heard about the Kumamoto quake last night on the radio, hope everyone's alright over there.

Kevtones

Tokyo in two weeks…

Best dive bar recommendations?
Best place to meet cool women?
Is Sushi Bar Yasuda totally worth it?
Any other suggestions?

Aizo

Banned
Tokyo in two weeks…

Best dive bar recommendations?
Best place to meet cool women?
Is Sushi Bar Yasuda totally worth it?
Any other suggestions?
Are you moving here or just visiting?

Definitely go to Kabukicho and just walk around till some Nigerian guys offer to introduce you to cool girls. They typically have sweet deals for foreigners.

Kevtones

Definitely go to Kabukicho and just walk around till some Nigerian guys offer to introduce you to cool girls. They typically have sweet deals for foreigners.

Visiting with two friends. And what do you mean… deals? Lol.

Darksol

笑

Other than that, anyone else's town/city doing campaigning. Gawd it's been all day for 2 weeks now. 50 something different campaigners riding around in loudspeaker cars from 9am to fucking 9pm. At the schools, in between, and since I live in the middle of the city I can't escape them at home either.

I only get one every couple of days or so. But anytime I join my girlfriend on her campus, we encounter a lot. It's not campaigning though - there's an embassy near the school, so they get regular xenophobic dudes with loudspeakers.

Darksol

Thank you btw.

I think they were messing with you. While Kabukichō and Roppongi are both popular with foreign visitors looking to get laid, you definitely don't want to follow any of the guys standing outside of clubs or offering to help you meet women :p It's a common scam to get foreigners into a seedy bar and then charge them outrageous drink prices, among other things.

Kevtones

I think they were messing with you. While Kabukichō and Roppongi are both popular with foreign visitors looking to get laid, you definitely don't want to follow any of the guys standing outside of clubs or offering to help you meet women :p It's a common scam to get foreigners into a seedy bar and then charge them outrageous drink prices, among other things.

Yeah lol. Nigerian gave it a way. Saying thanks to any actual help :)

Not looking to just 'get laid' but friends and I want to meet some people. Suppose I can just go for it at the bars.

Dingens

[...] It's not campaigning though - there's an embassy near the school, so they get regular xenophobic dudes with loudspeakers.

Tell me about it...
I used to live next to the South Korean Embassy for a few weeks. That was the absolute worst! every other day, one of those dreaded black vans drove through the street spouting racist and nationalist bullshit. accompanied by the worst music you'll ever here. I thought I may get used to it but nope. I had to move after 5 Weeks because this was just unbearable - especially on Sundays!

Top Bottom