• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Rolling into Osaka this evening for the weekend, anyone got recommended places to visit? Only want to hit like 2 places for sure lol, Kofun and freaking NMB48 theater haha. Everything else is just "lets see what happens"

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Does anyone know the cheapest way for me to ship something from Tokyo to my city in Ibaraki like 50min away? Can I just go to kuroneko and onegai them?

I want to buy a bike on craigslist since it's the best option available but I can't really bring it on a train unless I take it apart, which I could do I guess.

Alternatively, one of you drive me :^)

urfe

Does anyone know the cheapest way for me to ship something from Tokyo to my city in Ibaraki like 50min away? Can I just go to kuroneko and onegai them?

I want to buy a bike on craigslist since it's the best option available but I can't really bring it on a train unless I take it apart, which I could do I guess.

Not too be too obvious, but you could ride it?

From Matsudo onwards it should be beautiful!

Ayumi

According to Google, you can bring a bike on the train if you fold it, or remove the front wheel and put it all in one of those bike bags. The bags are like ¥4,000円〜 though.

Darksol

Anywhere recommended in Tokyo to get tennis shoes for big foreigner feet? I generally only wear dress shoes or a pair of sneakers if I'm feeling lazy, but it appears I may need a pair.

Should I just look at H&M and Uniqlo?

Resilient

Anywhere recommended in Tokyo to get tennis shoes for big foreigner feet? I generally only wear dress shoes or a pair of sneakers if I'm feeling lazy, but it appears I may need a pair.

Should I just look at H&M and Uniqlo?

ABC?

what size are you feet? 14 US? can't imagine you'd fine tennis shoes for playing tennis in any H&M or Uniqlo store in the world lol.

Mik2121

I assume this is a national store so... maybe try ABC Mart? Or just go directly to an Adidas, Nike or whatever brand store. I usually buy all my stuff at the Adidas store nearby, though I think my feet size isn't that big.

Darksol

ABC?

what size are you feet? 14 US? can't imagine you'd fine tennis shoes for playing tennis in any H&M or Uniqlo store in the world lol.

Nothing crazy, just well outside the Japanese norm :p

I assume this is a national store so... maybe try ABC Mart? Or just go directly to an Adidas, Nike or whatever brand store. I usually buy all my stuff at the Adidas store nearby, though I think my feet size isn't that big.

Okie dokie. I'll give that a shot.

Ayumi

i'm a US 12 and it's super hard to find stuff, almost everywhere stops at 10 or 11 max.
I feel you. On the bright side, I've probably saved some (a lot of) cash on shoes I wanted but could never buy since the max size is way below mine.

Btw, be careful shopping shoes online. I've found most shoe size convertion charts to be extremely inaccurate. I'm a EU 39/40, and if you convert to JP and back, it says I'm anywhere between 36 and 38. ( ._.)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Buying shoes online sounds kind of crazy, since situations where 3 pairs should fit size-wise but only one does are common.

Regarding buying shoes, I had no problems with finding sport shoes my size (45-46 European) in ABC, I think.

Resilient

can't you just exchange them if they're too big?

The point is gong off the website you know they have the shoes and sizes you're after at least

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
can't you just exchange them if they're too big?

The point is gong off the website you know they have the shoes and sizes you're after at least

Well the point is you can't trust the online sizes much and you really would need to try them on to be sure since most people are dealing with multiple systems. Trying to recall, I don't think I've ever bought any shoes in Japan.. maybe Nike's once? In Osaka? I just buy them when overseas and never even think about it. I think like 10 years ago I was in Kobe trying to get a new pair of Tims and it didn't end well. Now if I want a pair of Ferragamo's I'd just buy them when back in Europe or the States.

Resilient

true true. you can't go wrong with ABC Mart. if i managed to go in, try a pair, ask for a bigger size and be redirected to another store with said size...you should be able to as well Darksol.

urfe

I'm size 28, so I've never had any issues, but you see larger shoes every now and then. My casual shoes are usually skate shoes and those usually have had bigger sizes as well if I recent correctly.

Mik2121

Nothing crazy, just well outside the Japanese norm :p

Okie dokie. I'll give that a shot.
Sweet. Hopefully you find what you needed!
I'm size 28, so I've never had any issues, but you see larger shoes every now and then. My casual shoes are usually skate shoes and those usually have had bigger sizes as well if I recent correctly.
Same here. I'm also a 28 to 28.5 (depending on the shoes) and have never had any issues. What I have issues with is finding neat t-shirts with a good slim fit that I like. Found some, but end up going to some overseas sites that I have purchased from before and know their fits are what I want, for some of them.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not too be too obvious, but you could ride it?

From Matsudo onwards it should be beautiful!

If it was like 3 years ago I could, but I haven't owned a bike since I moved here and I don't know about doing 70km ride right off the bat :v

According to Google, you can bring a bike on the train if you fold it, or remove the front wheel and put it all in one of those bike bags. The bags are like ¥4,000円〜 though.

Yeah as a last resort I was thinking of just taking it apart and bringing it then building it here but kind of annoying. Oh well.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
If it was like 3 years ago I could, but I haven't owned a bike since I moved here and I don't know about doing 70km ride right off the bat :v

Yeah as a last resort I was thinking of just taking it apart and bringing it then building it here but kind of annoying. Oh well.

You can always go to kuroneko and ask...

I sent a microwave (around 4kg) to inside Tokyo.. and was around ¥1000

Or you can consult it online.

http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/links/#link01

Sweet. Hopefully you find what you needed!

Same here. I'm also a 28 to 28.5 (depending on the shoes) and have never had any issues. What I have issues with is finding neat t-shirts with a good slim fit that I like. Found some, but end up going to some overseas sites that I have purchased from before and know their fits are what I want, for some of them.

28 is the most common stopping point for most shoes at most stores, including ABC Mart in my experience. I had to go to specialty stores to find anything in US 12/Japanese 30, and even then the store would have like one pair of Nikes one pair of Adidas in size 30, and they would be hideously ugly.. I think the store was Kutsu no Hikari in Shinjuku? Maybe Ten?

Resilient

da fuck. trying to make an account on qm.nintendo.co.jp, and it's not letting me make a password. keeps saying アルファベットだけや数字だけのパスワードは禁止されています。 great. i can't use alphabet characters or numbers. only kana? except i can't make the IME keyboard input kana in the password field. and i can't copy and paste kana into the password field because it just appears as an asterisks. am i shit out of luck here? happens on iPhone too. even tho my iphone is set to Japanese, and i've got the eng and JP keyboard enabled..

edit: MMMM dake, what does that mean again? oh yeah, it means only. leaving this here as a mark of shame. i'm wearing it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
da fuck. trying to make an account on qm.nintendo.co.jp, and it's not letting me make a password. keeps saying アルファベットだけや数字だけのパスワードは禁止されています。 great. i can't use alphabet characters or numbers. only kana? except i can't make the IME keyboard input kana in the password field. and i can't copy and paste kana into the password field because it just appears as an asterisks. am i shit out of luck here? happens on iPhone too. even tho my iphone is set to Japanese, and i've got the eng and JP keyboard enabled..
Doesn't that mean that you can't have a password which has only letters or only numbers?
Nothing in that message sounds like a mixed letter/number password wouldn't work.

Resilient

Hasemo, you would be correct. the dumbass that I am read it as, alphabet passwords and number passwords are prohibited, meaning you gotta use JPN. but, i have never learned the word だけ so i had to look it up in my 辞書 and now i've added it to my writing list.

now excuse me while i go kick my own 尻。

also, thanks for your reply :p

Mik2121

28 is the most common stopping point for most shoes at most stores, including ABC Mart in my experience. I had to go to specialty stores to find anything in US 12/Japanese 30, and even then the store would have like one pair of Nikes one pair of Adidas in size 30, and they would be hideously ugly.. I think the store was Kutsu no Hikari in Shinjuku? Maybe Ten?
I see. Never had to ask for anything above 28.5 so I didn't really know :p
And even then I just go to the Adidas shop most of the time, where I know they at least always have 29 also.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Hey guys, I've just got a quick question. The MEXT Research applications opened up yesterday and I was wondering if there was a list available online of universities that have Computer Science departments?

Fritz

Hey JapanGAF. Has anyone here been to the oedo onsen monogatari in odaiba, Tokyo? Good experience? I have been to an onsen before and lived it. This looks a bit gaudi though.

Also where would you go to see a kabuki performance in Tokyo? Kabukiza?

RM8

Okay I actually felt this one :x It was pretty brief, though, thankfully. Edit: ah, so it was actually long? I only felt it for like 4 seconds, I think.

BTW hi guys! I've been in Tokyo for ~1 month now. Are there GAF meetups? :p

I'm staying in Tokyo at the moment and that was my first earthquake. Felt like, dunno, "wobbling." I wouldn't call it shaking, but it was an eerie feeling.

Crayolan

That was my first earthquake (while awake) too. Kind of weird to actually experience, over here in Tokyo it was pretty weak but I still felt a noticeable rumble from below.

SKINNER!

Banned
I was once listening to a CD at Tsutaya in Shibuya so I had them headphones on in front of a CD shelf and I notice that it was slightly wobbling. My first reaction was like "who the hell is pushing against this CD shelf? It's shaking quite a bit" and only when I looked around and realised that people were calmly next to walls that I took off my headphones and noticed that we might be going through a mild quake. Only lasted like a couple of seconds mind you but it was my first time experiencing one. Quite surreal.

Darksol

Anyone use Transferwise for sending wire transfers from Japan to back home? A Japanese friend of mine recommended it. Apparently made by the same people who made Skype. The transfer fee seems much lower than my bank's (¥750 yen for under 50,000 / 1.5% if above 50,000).

Ayumi

Anyone use Transferwise for sending wire transfers from Japan to back home? A Japanese friend of mine recommended it. Apparently made by the same people who made Skype. The transfer fee seems much lower than my bank's (¥750 yen for under 50,000 / 1.5% if above 50,000).
Yup, used it last week. Took 3 days or so. I didn't know about it until a friend of mine who works there said told me about it.

Just remember that you still have to pay for the Japanese bank tranfer fee, although that isn't much, and certainly not as much as it would if you did a direct international bank transfer. I did that twice and I cried both times.

Darksol

Yup, used it last week. Took 3 days or so. I didn't know about it until a friend of mine who works there said told me about it.

Just remember that you still have to pay for the Japanese bank tranfer fee, although that isn't much, and certainly not as much as it would if you did a direct international bank transfer. I did that twice and I cried both times.

Okie dokie. Yeah, this still seems like a much better alternative for my occasional transfers back home. My girlfriend got slammed with pretty steep fees when she did a direct international bank transfer too. I'm glad to hear that this is legit! I think I'll test it out on my end of June paycheck.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
so , i've done the Yamathon a few times before but at a previous firm where we, basically, walked the course. The Yamathon : you have to visit each station on the Yamanote line and take a photo of your 3-4 person team infront of the station sign.

The firm i'm with now had a walking and a running team and i ended up in the running team.

7 hours, 42.7km. And not a cloud in the sky.

A lot of fun but christ. I'm walking like John Wayne.

Dingens

so , i've done the Yamathon a few times before but at a previous firm where we, basically, walked the course. The Yamathon : you have to visit each station on the Yamanote line and take a photo of your 3-4 person team infront of the station sign.

The firm i'm with now had a walking and a running team and i ended up in the running team.

7 hours, 42.7km. And not a cloud in the sky.

A lot of fun but christ. I'm walking like John Wayne.

that sounds somewhat awesome... I should do that the next time I'm in the area (so far I've only managed to walk from Gotanda to Shinjuku once...)

But daylight + summer doesn't sound very appealing...

you could also use the post office! recently I had about a million yen transferred to my European account and the fee was only around 2k yen?

AllenShrz

I did walk the Yamathon two years ago. It was fun.

BTW The amount police patrolling the steerts and stations is unprecedented to me. G7 maybe is the cause.

Ayumi

Hiya, anyone ever been to Comiket? Seems pretty cool. If you've been, what's it like?
Packed, sweaty, too crowded and sweaty. Hot as fuck in the summer, cold in the winter. I went twice, but never looked back. It you want a fun experience, I recommend you go to Wonder Festival instead. A lot less people, but with more interesting items and events, imo. Comiket has doujin and artwork you can usually buy online, and if you want to buy stuff from industry booths, you have to line up from pretty much the night before to even get the chance.

Wonfes has a lot of cool stuff. It's nice if you like figures/nendoroids, and other stuff. I don't collect figures but I really enjoy looking at them, and they also sell tons of (vintage, new) second-hand items that you may not be able to find anywhere else. It's crowded too, but it's way better for walking around and looking.

urfe

I'm going to look into getting a gaming PC in Japan.
Anyone has any experience doing so? Any sites/shops people recommend?

Top Bottom