• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
come come now - our house is 320m2 + and insulation of that sort of building is a royal pain in the arse.

The more obvious solution for the moment is just to invest in aircon/heaters - which we did because we KNOW we are going to have to tear this place down at some point.

By default - there is no insulation - that is a genuine obvious niggle. Having people who have been here for more than a year fix it isn't a solution - it has to be a fundamental change in house building.

I'm talking buying new or building, no one of my rank rents used. I wouldn't expect you to retrofit your place, just knock it down and rebuild. I'm going to have to start building this summer.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
A friend of mine working at a large firm in Aichi has told me his company is looking for a new translator to start in May at their office in Kakamigahara, Gifu. This job is very secure (defense clearance) and the translator will be trained, so having no experience is okay (experienced translators are also welcome to apply).

He describes the job as ideal for someone looking to settle down into a career of translation. The pay is good, normal holidays and moving costs can be negotiated for those living at a distance. Standard 9 to 6, but they also have flexi-time.

Required skills: Native English, Fluent Japanese (JLPTn1 or equivalent).
Education: Bachelor’s Degree minimum.
Desired skills: Trados, Acrobat and Office skills. Programming, networking and PC troubleshooting skills are a plus.

If anyone is interested, please send a PM and I will put you in touch with him for more information.

Thank you!

jerry1594

Are there any local archaeology publications in Japan? Or some other science? Recently I became interested in reading these kind of things in their respective languages and even though it will be a while until I can read even decently I am really interested in this sort of thing.

Ayumi

Just tried Taco Bell in Shibuya. I don't know what I expected.. Certainly not real Mexican, of course, but this was way more bland and boring than I imagined.

How does it compare to US Taco Bell?
I ate there once but it was 6 years ago, so I don't remember.

matt360

Has there been an official DVD/Blu-Ray release date set for Force Awakens? I assumed it would be April 5th, just like the states, but someone told me that it hasn't been announced yet.

AllenShrz

Just tried Taco Bell in Shibuya. I don't know what I expected.. Certainly not real Mexican, of course, but this was way more bland and boring than I imagined.

Go to Salsita or Fonda de la Madrugada for the real deal.

Ayumi

I know.

Do share, I'm listening.

Madurugada is pretty great, I agree! Never tried Salsita though.
This might be kinda frowned upon, but I really like El Torito in Shinjuku.

There's one I went to a few years ago, probably one of the best I've been to, unfortunately I don't remember the name or where it was located (too much tequila). I'll dig through my photos later to see if I can find it. :3

zeromcd73

Arrived in Kyoto at my apartment yesterday morning. Was absolutely miserable the entire day since I got no sleep, had no food to eat (strict gym diet, thinking now I should have just eaten even if it wasn't super healthy), and had a runny noise and sore eyes from 花粉症.

But today was much better! Can't believe the local conbini and drug stores sell alcohol. That was a surprise. Also damn, even packaged doughnuts in the sweets section exist. It seems that Japan manages to pretty much pack anything in a wrapper.

Really liking it so far though. Kinda sad that I couldn't find rolled oats anywhere no matter how much I looked. I just ordered them from Amazon.jp since it's my staple breakfast.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

It's pretty bland. The best thing on the menu is the fajita queasdilla, get it with chicken and hot sauce

Guru-Guru

Banned
None of the variety of Tokyo, none of the charm and character of other smaller major cities in Japan (Osaka, Fukuoka, etc). It's just...there.
This is a REALLY accurate description. Nothing to do there that you can't do (and have more fun doing) in another city. Most of my friends who live there want to get the hell out.

RoKKeR

Hey all. Wasn't sure whether to put this in this or the travel thread, but I'm headed to Tokyo on Wednesday for a 4 month long semester abroad. Getting excited, but have done very little packing as I've been caught up with work.

Long story short... do you guys have any suggestions for me? Any must-have items? Apps? Clothes? Gifts to bring to my host family? Just trying to get a handle on the most important things before I really start my packing.

If this is better suited in the travel thread let me know.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hey all. Wasn't sure whether to put this in this or the travel thread, but I'm headed to Tokyo on Wednesday for a 4 month long semester abroad. Getting excited, but have done very little packing as I've been caught up with work.

Long story short... do you guys have any suggestions for me? Any must-have items? Apps? Clothes? Gifts to bring to my host family? Just trying to get a handle on the most important things before I really start my packing.

If this is better suited in the travel thread let me know.
Apps? Navitime, Google Maps, Line, weathernews.
Gifts? Food from wherever you are.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Hey Japan Gaf, anyone here own/build a house? Please to give me all the advices.

Were looking at 一条工務店, but was wondering if anyone had any protips.

Jijidasu

So... tell me about Nagoya.

Nagoya isn't that bad - I've lived here for a long time (with a decent chunk living in a ward of Nagoya), but I now live a bit north and will be building a house in nearby Tajimi city.

Nagoya is a small dose of everything else the big cities offer. It is smaller, after all. It has all the main outlets you would expect, but also totes a slight "country" style in terms of the atmosphere here. I prefer it over Tokyo where I lived for years when I was a student.

@Sprsk - Haven't got much to offer in terms of house building/buying tips but my wife and I are looking at justnoie.com to build our place soon. Going with smaller companies seems to be the best bet so far (from our research and consultations).

Porcile

What's the latest Sagawa Express deliver? I've been waiting around for a large Amazon delivery all day, and now I need to buy some dinner but don't want to miss the delivery.

Gacha-pin

What's the latest Sagawa Express deliver? I've been waiting around for a large Amazon delivery all day, and now I need to buy some dinner but don't want to miss the delivery.
You can get a driver's phone number on sagawa's site. Call & tell your coonvenient time.

RoKKeR

Random question... is trail mix sold anywhere in this country? I've been looking around for some but have yet to find any. Do some huge supermarkets have an American section I could go to?

Dingens

Random question... is trail mix sold anywhere in this country? I've been looking around for some but have yet to find any. Do some huge supermarkets have an American section I could go to?

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for in particular, but there are a few smaller and bigger stores who focus exclusively on imported stuff. I'm sure that you should find it at other stores as well, maybe

If you're in Tokyo, there is Nissin in Higashi Azabu, http://www.nissin-world-delicatessen.jp/
If you are in Kanto, there should be a 成城石井 (seijouishii) near you http://www.seijoishii.co.jp/ (If you're in Kansai or Kyuushuu you're out of luck)
and than there is also Kaldi http://www.kaldi.co.jp/ . I've seen a few of them around, but they are usually pretty small.
And if you're a member, you could always try costco ofc

So... tell me about Nagoya.
for what it's worth, I've been told that they got "funny" or "strange" food there... so if you're into that, maybe it's the right city for you
I guess you could argue that it's location is convenient if you have to go to Tokyo AND Osaka regularly

I'd like to do squats and dead lifts at a gym when I'm there - does Anytime Fitness have power racks or squat racks? Specifically the one near ShinOkubo/Okubo, since I'll be staying there.

Sakura

While I'm waiting for the gas guy to come... does any one know where you get curtains to fit on these?
dsc_0094b6peu.jpg
will any old curtains from the store work? You can see right inside my room from outside

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
those are just holes for the curtain pegs to go through - any curtains will work, you just need the pegs (you know, the generic white plastic things)

Sakura

those are just holes for the curtain pegs to go through - any curtains will work, you just need the pegs (you know, the generic white plastic things)

Ah I see thanks. I ordered some curtains off Amazon, if they don't come with pegs I will just go look at the dollar store or something.

Sakura

Sorry to double post here but I found out I need a black suit and dress shoes for the entrance ceremony. Does anyone know of a place to get cheap suits? Are the prices at Aoyama good? I don't have a ton of cash so it is disappointing to learn I need to spend money on this.

Ayumi

Sorry to double post here but I found out I need a black suit and dress shoes for the entrance ceremony. Does anyone know of a place to get cheap suits? Are the prices at Aoyama good? I don't have a ton of cash so it is disappointing to learn I need to spend money on this.

Aoyama isn't exactly considered a "cheap area", so I can't imagine they would have cheap suits. Aren't suits always expensive though?

Have you tried at Uniqlo? I don't even know if they sell suits there, but it sounds like they would. And would probably be cheaper than a suit company.

Sakura

Aoyama isn't exactly considered a "cheap area", so I can't imagine they would have cheap suits. Aren't suits always expensive though?

Have you tried at Uniqlo? I don't even know if they sell suits there, but it sounds like they would. And would probably be cheaper than a suit company.
Thanks, I know suits aren't cheap, but still if I could save 10,000 or 20,000 yen then that can make a big difference.
I'll try uniqlo on the weekend, it looks like they have some suit-ish jackets, then I'd just need the pants and shoes.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thanks, I know suits aren't cheap, but still if I could save 10,000 or 20,000 yen then that can make a big difference.
I'll try uniqlo on the weekend, it looks like they have some suit-ish jackets, then I'd just need the pants and shoes.
You can get shoes for 3-4k at a donki. They aren't very comfortable but will do the trick if it's just a one time thing.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

lol, I think Sakura meant the business suit store Aoyama and not the neighbourhood.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Well I can only fit so much into my suitcase, and it was never mentioned to me beforehand that a suit was required for a Japanese language school.
I'm with you. I brought a suit with me for my scholarship but if it wasn't for job hunting I'd have used it twice during that year.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
99% of Tokyo's population went to Nakameguro; I'm pretty sure all the photos would be identical. :v

Babby's First Hanami (good shopping tho)

It's nice but too crowded. Nice and slightly less crowded is Inokashira Park in Kichijoji if anyone wants to go.

Top Bottom