• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Gets World's Steepest Roller Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik2121

Lebron said:
No amount of culo could get me to go on that thing.
d45818d69ef5954c3fb91b92ac03e9cd.gif

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Fucking love rollercoasters. The adrenaline high is amazing. My ultimate dream is to be riding the Millennium Force whilst chomping on a cigar, with my arm around an amazingly cute sexy girl in the seat next to me. We would make out and take turns on the cigar, and Roundabout by Yes along with their entire discography would be blasting throughout the park on repeat while we proceed to ride the fuck out of every other coaster at Cedar Point too. We would have the park to ourselves and would be accompanied by all my bros and their girls too, and copious amounts of beer and pizza would be provided.

This will never happen. Sadfrog.jpg

Minamu

Damn, I want to ride that so bad :( Had a day pass as a kid on a school trip and we rode a coaster 17 times in a row xD Good times! As soon as we got off, we just ran back and got right back in line again.

the japanese coaster in question:
takabisha.png

Takabisha1.jpg

maverick at cedar point is 'steeper than steep' - it uses mag to shoot you up the lift hill (regular-esque hill) and then you dive under it.
Cedar%20Point%20Maverick.jpg

dare devil dive at six flags geogia has a hill like this at the start -vertical climb up, over the top, bends under itself coming back down.
dare_devil_dive_area.jpg

both are fun, this one in japan is just...steeper, and puts the hill in the middle. personally i'd prefer more like millennium force with a "steeper than 90" drop with the twists and turns.

and everyone talks about kingda ka....top thirll dragster at cedar point is the same type, only it only goes 120 and only 420 feet up, not quite the 460 ft at 128 mph of kingda ka, but same idea.
top-thrill-dragster.jpg

yay coaster innovation!

Goldrusher

Every year, some park orders one with a drop another degree steeper.

Pretty stupid if you ask me. The towers/drops only get uglier and ever since S&S designed their Screamin' Squirrel ride (with 180° drops), it's pointless to even claim a record, even if that particular ride brakes the cars significantly, it's still gravity powered...

mysterious_23_536.jpg

-> video

Goldrusher said:

Pretty stupid if you ask me. The towers/drops only get uglier and ever since S&S designed their Screamin' Squirrel ride (with 180° drops), it's pointless to even claim a record, even if that particular ride brakes the cars significantly, it's still gravity powered...

-> video

that looks like the shadiest roller coaster...complete and total disrepair.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Goldrusher said:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/mysterious_23_536.jpg

-> video

That thing looks like it could break any minute. D:

Hate rollercoasters.

Angry Fork

Nitro at Great Adventure has something like this too, not as much though. It's scary edging over like that but this coaster doesn't look that tall so it's not as intimidating imo as Nitro/Kingda Ka.

Fuck I'm dead inside, that did nothing for me. I miss feeling excited.

Still haven't got over missing Top thrill Dragster. We saved it for the end and I when we got to the front it started raining :( :( : (

Futureman said:
Steel rollercoasters are the most unscary thing ever. Thrilling, yea. They aren't scary at all though. What do you think is going to happen? The car is going to fly off the tracks?

I'll ride the biggest baddest roller coasters without thinking twice, but I can't stand to set foot on most carnival rides precisely for that reason. Anything with a cage that spins upside down like the zipper scares the shit out of me. I am worried about the POS ride breaking and launching me to my death.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but given the level of restraint in modern coasters, I just don't get the thrill I get from the basic, wooden rollercoaster. At the PNE in Vancouver there's 50 year old (or more, too lazy to google) coaster.

slit

ManDudeChild said:
I don't know, maybe it's just me but given the level of restraint in modern coasters, I just don't get the thrill I get from the basic, wooden rollercoaster. At the PNE in Vancouver there's 50 year old (or more, too lazy to google) coaster.

ltd99-58.jpg

Actually the above is the oldest operating coaster in the world. It's located in Pennsylvania. I've been on it and and it's very charming. It has an that old rickety feeling that's so great. Kennywood near Pittsburgh also has quite a few of those old wooden classics that are so good. I agree there's a certain feeling you get from old wooden coasters that modern coasters can't match.

slit said:
ltd99-58.jpg

Actually the above is the oldest operating coaster in the world. It's located in Pennsylvania. I've been on it and and it's very charming. It has an that old rickety feeling that's so great. Kennywood near Pittsburgh also has quite a few of those old wooden classics that are so good. I agree there's a certain feeling you get from old wooden coasters that modern coasters can't match.

Not sure why you said actually....but that that's exactly what I like about the older rides. You don't feel like there's a reason to be thrilled if you can handle high speeds because you're snug in your seat with modern, well maintained (usually) equipment and the odds are better on winning the lottery than actually having some horrible accident.

milanbaros

Member?
Just because its annoying me I'll post again that once you go past vertical it is getting less steep not more. Just because you are upside down doesn't make it more steep.

If 91' is steeper than 90' then 180' would be even steeper which is ridiculous as that is horizontal.

I don't know why its pissing me off seing so many people misunterstand but it is :/

Carry on ignoring me.

slit

milanbaros said:
Just because its annoying me I'll post again that once you go past vertical it is getting less steep not more. Just because you are upside down doesn't make it more steep.

If 91' is steeper than 90' then 180' would be even steeper which is risdiculous as that is horizontal.

I don't know why its pissing me off seing so many people misunterstand but it is :/

Carry on ignoring me.

it's just a tag to get people to come to the park. Going for a "record" gets attention. Although I agree, in this case no record was broken.

ManDudeChild said:
Not sure why you said actually....but that that's exactly what I like about the older rides. You don't feel like there's a reason to be thrilled if you can handle high speeds because you're snug in your seat with modern, well maintained (usually) equipment and the odds are better on winning the lottery than actually having some horrible accident.

I was just agreeing with you. There is definitely a kind of thrill you get from the old classics that you dont get from more modern coasters.

Husker86

ManDudeChild said:

Your thrill from roller coasters comes from thinking there's a decent chance you might fly off and die?

Futureman said:
Steel rollercoasters are the most unscary thing ever. Thrilling, yea. They aren't scary at all though. What do you think is going to happen? The car is going to fly off the tracks?

I've always had thoughts about the safety bars not locking or something bizarre but I'm still eager and excited to ride them.

big_z

For me the scariest coaster is the mindbender at west Edmonton mall only because it's come off the track before and I remember being at the mall shortly after when they had the crash areas wrapped in brown tarps. There's a YouTube video about it.

According to wiki they added anti rollback equipment to prevent such events on the first lift. Funny this wouldn't be there from the start considering I've seen it happen before.

Shocked at how fast it is, especially how fast the climb before the (bullshit) steepest drop is.

Haven't bothered with theme parks in a few years, the climbs used to take a fairly long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom