• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is no more the third largest videogame market in the world

Izzy

Banned
Not really. Close, but no cigar.

In the six year period from 1997 to 2003, according to the research, the videogame software market in the UK grew by 100 per cent - compared with growth in cinema box office revenues of 30 per cent, VHS and DVD rental growth of 14 per cent, and a decline of 4.5 per cent in music retail sales.

This growth has helped to sustain the UK's position as the largest territory in Western Europe for games, with a market larger than France and Germany combined, and as the third largest market in the world after the USA and Japan.

Link

AirBrian

I'm confused...

Topic said:
Japan is no more the third largest videogame market in the world
This growth has helped to sustain the UK's position as the largest territory in Western Europe for games, with a market larger than France and Germany combined, and as the third largest market in the world after the USA and Japan.
So...

1 - US
2 - Japan
3 - UK

...?

wazoo

I never understood why UK is always trying to differentiate from Europe. They share the same PAL standard. They should be counted as a part of Europe as for videogaming is concerned.

cja

wazoo said:
I never understood why UK is always trying to differentiate from Europe. They share the same PAL standard. They should be counted as a part of Europe as for videogaming is concerned.
So Australia, Brazil, Hong Kong and Qatar are part of Europe while the French, Bulgarians and Greeks who use Secam are not. The US and Japan should be considered the same market because they use NTSC. :)

HooDoo

Does Norton count as a video game ? If not I guess the UK is like the 3rd world of gaming, Norton saves the Queen.

wazoo

cja said:
So Australia, Brazil, Hong Kong and Qatar are part of Europe while the French, Bulgarians and Greeks who use Secam are not. The US and Japan should be considered the same market because they use NTSC. :)

FYI, Secam TV are PAL compatible. Brazil PAL is not compatible with Euro PAL. US and Japanese software are region locked.

I never went to Qatat to ckeck :(

UK is in Europe geographically and marketwise. They do depend from NOE/SCEE or MS Europe from their sales. So why not count them as part of Europe in the end ??

Top Bottom