• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan sales: DS top 100

Sega

Top 50: 1
Top 100: 9
Total sales : 789,385
Mean Sales : 87,709
Median sales: 74,218

interesting to see how things for Sega changed after Love & Berry release:

Total sales: 1.214.765
Mean sales: 121.476

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Moor-Angol said:

that would actually be a mean of 110,433.

will be interesting to see how this data changes once we get famitsu numbers including dec 2006. I suspect Nintendo will get an even larger portion of the pie

Firestorm said:
I actually entered this thread thinking that it was an all-console top 100 and that the "DS top 100" was a joke.

:lol Same.

Some mighty impressive numbers there, although I'll never forgive the Japanese for giving Ouendan the cold shoulder.

MrSardonic said:
will be interesting to see how this data changes once we get famitsu numbers including dec 2006. I suspect Nintendo will get an even larger portion of the pie

uhm... i'm not so sure about it, besides Love & Berry there are 2 other 3rd party games which will sell a lot, DQM:J and Fushigi no Dungeon.
The only Nintendo title which is selling high at the moment is Common Sense Training (except Pokemon of course!), but probably both Mario and AC will have a jump due to holiday season.

MrSardonic

Moor-Angol said:
uhm... i'm not so sure about it.

From last week's Media Create top 20:

7. (DS, Nintendo) Pokemon Diamond - 70,190 / 1,897,417
8. (DS, Nintendo) JUMP ULTIMATE STARS - 66,269 / 216,572
10. (DS, Sega) Love and Berry DS Collection - 60,041 / 481,268
11. (DS, Nintendo) Pokemon Pearl
12. (DS, Nintendo) Common Knowledge Training
13. (DS, Nintendo) Kirby Squeek Squad
14. (DS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Brothers
15. (DS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing Wild World
17. (DS, Nintendo) More Brain Age

Nintendo, even before the boom in sales we'll see over the next 3 weeks, are already selling a shitload of DS software (probably ~400k this week). The Famitsu data also doesn't include the last 4 weeks of Pokemon, Common Knowledge Training, NSMB, ACWW and BT2 sales.

As long as Nintendo's software sales continue to account for 80% of more of the DS' total software sales each week, then it looks likely that Nintendo will account for an even larger piece of the pie by end 2006.

Deku

Banned
Absolutely stunning how much they've returned to lording over the industry. It prints money etc etc.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
MrSardonic said:

Nintendo took an absolutely massive proportion of all DS software sales, largely dominating the top 50. It's obvious that Nintendo are themselves responsible for the massive surge in software and hardware sales for DSL and that 3rd parties, although not doing badly, have not worked out how to consistently produce software that appeals to the new demographic.

Thanks for the numbers, but one thing people aren't mentioning is that Nintendo publishes a crapload of games. A much bigger percentage. So while Nintendo is getting a large share of the sales, they're also publishing a giant portion of the games, too.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
BobFromPikeCreek said:

Some mighty impressive numbers there, although I'll never forgive the Japanese for giving Ouendan the cold shoulder.
Did you really believe Reggie's comment about 120K sold in the US so far for EBA? :lol

:(

BobFromPikeCreek said:

I'm so sorry. GAF convinced me to buy Ouendan. At least I convinced one of my friends its worth buying.

cvxfreak

Moor-Angol said:

Continued sales from Love and Berry, as well as Shiren should increase their average even more.

apujanata

Moor-Angol said:
http://moorangol.altervista.org/ds.html
I usually take data from Famitsu every week, so the chart should me more accurate and also last update was a week ago, but mainly last big update was the first half 2006 chart posted in early July. I think it will get new update in February when Famitsu will release top100 for 2006.
Anyway, LTD are higher than the chart coming from Dengeki (i think it's LTD from 2005)

I'm sorry if this can be interpreted as spam, but i didn't get anything from these pages, i make them just for the love of sales data and usually i don't make links, if someone is interested just bookmark it :)

Really nice chart. How long have you been collecting those data ? I see that you even have 1996 data.

If only you also have H/W data, then it will be perfect :).

If I may make a suggestion to you, you might think about adding a column, stating when was the last data (total sales LTD) was last updated. The position of the column is in the right most. It is not really important, but it might give people some sense in how many months has elapsed between the release date and the latest data update.

Futureman

Fuzzy said:
Did you really believe Reggie's comment about 120K sold in the US so far for EBA? :lol

:(

How much has it sold in the U.S.? 120K was a lie?

I just beat Jumping Jack Flash on Sweatin' mode and damn, this is one of my favorite games ever. So good. I can't believe how poorly it did in Japan.

donny2112

ethelred said:
NoA switched to a shipped-not-sold position.

Which is even more frustrating, because that means that there are only 120K copies out there for people to buy in the first place. Reggie said he was hoping for 300K, and that would've made it much more likely to be available to anyone who wants it
I'm looking at everyone there, whether you know it or not

MrSardonic

jarrod said:
Wonderful work but... uh, shouldn't the Pokemon Company technically be counted seperately from Nintendo?

never!

published by Nintendo = included in my Nintendo category

jarrod

Banned
MrSardonic said:
never!

published by Nintendo = included in my Nintendo category
Sure... but in Japan these games are published by The Pokemon Company. Nintendo still handles distribution, but they're not the publisher (similar to the Konami/Hudson setup).

MrSardonic

jarrod said:
Sure... but in Japan these games are published by The Pokemon Company. Nintendo still handles distribution, but they're not the publisher (similar to the Konami/Hudson setup).

So why does (Nintendo) follow the Pokemon name in this data? What's the deal with TPC if they aren't part of Nintendo?

jarrod

Banned
MrSardonic said:
So why does (Nintendo) follow the Pokemon name in this data? What's the deal with TPC if they aren't part of Nintendo?
They're majority owned by Nintendo... again similar to Konami and Hudson.

TPC is it's own entitiy though, they handle mainly Pokemon merchandising and licensing, but they're still the official game publisher too (in Japan at least). Pokemon Mini was lso technically their system and not Nintendo's. They're not exactly a 3rd party... but they're not technically Nintendo either.

ziran

MrSardonic said:
jarrod's right. however, where is becomes really complicated is nintendo wholly owns the pokémon brand.

the pokémon company was set up by nintendo to handle all things pokémon, for ease, tax advantages, and to give people like satoshi tajiri, junichi masuda, tsunekazu ishihara and the other people involved in the original game a financial stake in the pokémon franchise.

imo, to all intents and purposes, the pokémon company is part of nintendo.

MrSardonic

Wikipedia lists TPC as under "Nintendo divisions and subsidiaries" while also calling it an affiliate of Nintendo.

I understand that they are a separate company but did Nintendo set up TPC in 1995 simply to deal with the development, mechandise, marketing, etc of all Pokemon-related products? Or did Nintendo simply buy into a pre-existing company?

edit:

ziran said:
the pokémon company was set up by nintendo to handle all things pokémon, for ease, tax advantages, and to give people like satoshi tajiri, junichi masuda, tsunekazu ishihara and the other people involved in the original game a financial stake in the pokémon franchise.

imo, to all intents and purposes, the pokémon company is part of nintendo.

right, thanks. Given those fact, I'll keep it as part of the Nintendo data I think

jarrod

Banned
MrSardonic said:
right, thanks. Given those fact, I'll keep it as part of the Nintendo data I think
In fairness, then you should probably lump Hudson in with Konami, considering the have basically the exact same distribution/ownership setup. Also, Atlus/Takara/Tomy are basically one company now (with 2 brands, "Atlus" and "Takara Tomy"). Dunno if that shifts anything or not though?

MrSardonic

jarrod said:
In fairness, then you should probably lump Hudson in with Konami, considering the have basically the exact same distribution/ownership setup. Also, Atlus/Takara/Tomy are basically one company now (with 2 brands, "Atlus" and "Takara Tomy"). Dunno if that shifts anything or not though?

arrghggh!

ok, once we get the full 2006 data, I'll combine Hudson with Konami.

donny2112

jarrod said:
Uh... sort of. Except that TPC doesn't make games. :p

Konami owns part of Hudson. Konami makes games. Hudson makes games.
Sony owns part of Square-Enix. Sony makes games. Square-Enix makes games.
Nintendo owns part of TPC. Nintendo makes games. TPC doesn't make video games.

For the record, I think it should be broken down by Publisher which means TPC should be separate from Nintendo. ;)

jarrod

Banned
donny2112 said:
Konami owns part of Hudson. Konami makes games. Hudson makes games.
Sony owns part of Square-Enix. Sony makes games. Square-Enix makes games.
Nintendo owns part of TPC. Nintendo makes games. TPC doesn't make video games.

For the record, I think it should be broken down by Publisher which means TPC should be separate from Nintendo. ;)
Well, the differences there is that Nintendo and Konami own majority/controlling stakes why Sony has basically no say with Squeenix. Clearly going by that certain other thread. :lol

Nintendo and Konami are also acting as distributors for TPC and Hudson respectively... which makes it a little different versus other comparable invested relationships (like Square Enix and Taito for example).

Top Bottom