• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

NaviLink

The exchange rate at 7-11 is the one set by Visa, MasterCard or whoever else card you got. Your bank might also take a % and/or some other fee, you'll need to check with your bank how much. The maximum limit is the one decided by your bank or 100K JPY, whichever is lower.

This is why I usually change money before the trip, the bank commission and the card fees when you're abroad are usually quite high. In my experience the best rates are with direct currency exchange over the counter.

I'll check the rate and fees with my current bank, maybe I'm wrong.

It depends on what you've planned. For example, if you get a JR pass, you don't need money to get into the city.

I would bring some emergency cash, but there's no way I would plan to exchange the bulk of my money at the very beginning of the trip.

I'll get a 2 week JR pass but I won't activate it right away I think. Or I get a 3 week one, but I have to check if the difference is worth it.

Like I said, I usually change the bulk of my money before going, because CC fees abroad are a killer most of the time. And despite ATMs becoming more common, I've been told several times that cash is still king in Japan.

I don't recall any extra fees when I withdrew money in Japan. Just the normal ATM fee. Conversely when I exchanged USD for Yen at the airport I got hit by a fee in addition to the exchange rate.

inafking

I don't recall any extra fees when I withdrew money in Japan. Just the normal ATM fee. Conversely when I exchanged USD for Yen at the airport I got hit by a fee in addition to the exchange rate.

Me too. By contrast, along with the usual conversion rate (of course favorable to the bank) when using a credit card you get charged the interest for being credit instead of debit.

I'd go for debit cards on ATM's on any time, at least in my case. The only con is that you may have a limited amount to witdraw from the machine (in my case is about 37000 JPY)

At the very least, make sure you call up your bank prior to leaving and let them know you'll be out of the country so they don't freeze your card accidentally.

inafking

Yeah, I've to remember that. Both my debit and credit cards. (BTW, I'm going with my nephew who's 26 years old because there's some age difference with my bigger sister: I'm 33 and my bigger sister is 46)

On a different note, the most expensive place where I'm staying is in Tokyo at Sakura Hotel Jimbocho between Aug/26 and Sep/07 and between Oct 7th and Oct 16th andwith a price per night of about 7800 JPY a night for a twin room (2 beds) with a shared bathroom and shared (but individual, one person at a time) shower. It's located very close to Jimbocho Station

In Nagoya I'll be staying at Nagoya Traveller's Hostel between Sep 7th and Sept 13th for 5800 JPY a night for a room with a bunk bed and the same bathroom and shower conditions as above. It's about 10 minutes from Sakae station

In Osaka I'm staying at Hotel Chuo between Sept 13th and Sept 26th in a twin room for 5200 JPY a night with the same bathroom and shower conditions as Sakura Hotel Jimbocho. The hotel is a few steps from Doubutsuen-mae station.

In Kyoto I'm staying at Kyoto Hostel Ryokan between Sept 26th and Oct 7th in a room with a bunk bed with the same bathroom and shower conditions as Sakura Hostel Jimbocho for 7500 JPY a night. The station is about 5 minutes from Jujo subway station.

I don't know if I made a good deal with those in terms of price and location (close to subway stations), since August is still peak season. I didn't want to spend in a private bathroom and shower since the prices skyrocket, but I also didn't want to share the shower with another people at the same time (like those public baths but inside a hostel)

At least to me, those factors (twin room or room with bunk beds, modern restroom, individual shower and being close to a subway/train station) are the most important when staying in a hotel.

I hope those all who are planning to travel there have a great time there!

Recently "newer" 7-Banks have started appearing at 7-11s in Tokyo, or better said it seems they were just given a firmware update or something :p

I saw a bunch of 7-banks and the logo colors are the same as 7-eleven but I didn't know what it was exactly, didn't go inside.

As for Credit Cards, I ended up paying cash for everything when I was there. It's very much a cash based society and it's safe to carry around loads of money due to the low crime rate. I know my CC charges an extra % for international purchases so might as well just go cash.

Zoe

All Capital One cards have no foreign transaction fees.

You just need to make sure to put a travel alert on it and keep some backup cash on hand in case things don't work out. I believe Visa might be the most accepted?

Like I said, I usually change the bulk of my money before going, because CC fees abroad are a killer most of the time. And despite ATMs becoming more common, I've been told several times that cash is still king in Japan.

Well there are two reasons I wouldn't transfer the bulk at the beginning: #1 - Security, because there's no recourse to recovering lost cash, and #2 - Ending under budget, which would mean having to pay exchange fees twice to get your money back.

sfedai0

Banned
You guys should look in to cards that dont charge ATM fees or any other type of fees. I have a Charles Schwab debit card that reimburses any fees I incur, so I can use any ATM from any bank without worries. Helps immensely when traveling,

This is why I usually change money before the trip, the bank commission and the card fees when you're abroad are usually quite high. In my experience the best rates are with direct currency exchange over the counter.

I'll check the rate and fees with my current bank, maybe I'm wrong.

You guys should look in to cards that dont charge ATM fees or any other type of fees. I have a Charles Schwab debit card that reimburses any fees I incur, so I can use any ATM from any bank without worries. Helps immensely when traveling,

The best one I can get here in Norway is with 1.75% foreign transaction fee and with no ATM fees. And even with that 1.75% it's cheaper than exchanging NOK at either airport.

All Capital One cards have no foreign transaction fees.

You just need to make sure to put a travel alert on it and keep some backup cash on hand in case things don't work out. I believe Visa might be the most accepted?

Yeah, Visa and then MasterCard second. Seems like they've still not completely fixed problems with Maestro branded IC chip cards though. Works at 7-11 and AEON, but not in post offices.

Me too. By contrast, along with the usual conversion rate (of course favorable to the bank) when using a credit card you get charged the interest for being credit instead of debit.

I'd go for debit cards on ATM's on any time, at least in my case. The only con is that you may have a limited amount to witdraw from the machine (in my case is about 37000 JPY)

I just add funds to my credit card account before I travel. Then I don't get charged any interest.

NaviLink

I've looked into the fees at my bank and they have three separate ones. The main one is about 3%, plus 1.5% with a maximum, and another 1.5%, but I'm not sure how or if they stack up. And given the exchange rate from banks is usually not so good, it seems to me changing money before going is the most bang for my buck?

I would need to find out what kind of exchange rate 7-eleven does.

At the very least, make sure you call up your bank prior to leaving and let them know you'll be out of the country so they don't freeze your card accidentally.

Great suggestion, I will have to go there and warn them.

inafking

According to that Master Card site, 1 chilean peso is 9.89e-40 pounds, or the other way around, 1 pound is 1.01e39 chilean pesos.

If 1 chilean peso is 0.001542 USD, then 1 pound (GBP) is about 1.56e36 bucks (about 1 and a half undecillions)

The display format for those number must be wrong, since they're padding with trailing zeros.

Thriller

So, here's a small update. We went to Kyoto and had a blast. We saw so many things, took a train ride to a mountain near Kyoto and we did some hiking, all very nice.
Our previous couchsurfing host took us to some places and was nice and chatty but our host in Kyoto didn't, which was a shame. We slept on the floor at his house (for which we are very grateful) but that was that.
Now we have moved on to Okayama and our new host waited for us on the platform, took us to a sake brewing factory, a hotspring near a giant Dam, went out eating in the afternoon and eating and drinking jn the evening. The room that we are in is as japanese as it gets. The doors, tatami mats, futons and those hard little pillows. There's even a little shrine in our bedroom.
Lots of new pictures in the album for those that want to have a look :)

inafking

So, here's a small update. We went to Kyoto and had a blast. We saw so many things, took a train ride to a mountain near Kyoto and we did some hiking, all very nice.
Our previous couchsurfing host took us to some places and was nice and chatty but our host in Kyoto didn't, which was a shame. We slept on the floor at his house (for which we are very grateful) but that was that.
Now we have moved on to Okayama and our new host waited for us on the platform, took us to a sake brewing factory, a hotspring near a giant Dam, went out eating in the afternoon and eating and drinking jn the evening. The room that we are in is as japanese as it gets. The doors, tatami mats, futons and those hard little pillows. There's even a little shrine in our bedroom.

Those are great pictures! I've some questions for you.
1) Which line did you take to go to Nara?
2) If you took the Nara line: Are buses departing from Nara Station no Todaiji temple?
3) If you took the Kintetsu line: You've to commute from Kintetu Limited Express to Kintetsu Nara line at Yamatosaidaiji Station, don't you?
4) Are buses departing to Todaiji Temple at Kintetsu Nara station? (only answer if you took the Kintetsu Nara line)

I hope all these questions are not so bothersome for you.
I'm glad you're having a good time there!

Thriller

Those are great pictures! I've some questions for you.
1) Which line did you take to go to Nara?
2) If you took the Nara line: Are buses departing from Nara Station no Todaiji temple?
3) If you took the Kintetsu line: You've to commute from Kintetu Limited Express to Kintetsu Nara line at Yamatosaidaiji Station, don't you?
4) Are buses departing to Todaiji Temple at Kintetsu Nara station? (only answer if you took the Kintetsu Nara line)

I hope all these questions are not so bothersome for you.
I'm glad you're having a good time there!

1 : we tooo a single express train to Nara from Kyoto, it tooo us about 45 minutes or something. I dont really know which line it was exactly but i do know that it was an express train because it only stopped a couple of times.
2 : I cant help out on any of the bus questions because we didnt use those at all going to/from Nara or in/around Nara.
If you want to know anything else please let me know

inafking

1 : we tooo a single express train to Nara from Kyoto, it tooo us about 45 minutes or something. I dont really know which line it was exactly but i do know that it was an express train because it only stopped a couple of times.
2 : I cant help out on any of the bus questions because we didnt use those at all going to/from Nara or in/around Nara.
If you want to know anything else please let me know

So you basically arrived at Nara Station I guess. Then you went to Todaiji Temple on foot, didn't you?

By the way, the Todaiji Temple is the one where's a large Buddha statue and there are deers wandering around there, I don't know if you went to that place.

I'm just asking because I'm planning to go there too.
Greets! And thanks for your answers!

Thriller

So you basically arrived at Nara Station I guess. Then you went to Todaiji Temple on foot, didn't you?

By the way, the Todaiji Temple is the one where's a large Buddha statue and there are deers wandering around there, I don't know if you went to that place.

I'm just asking because I'm planning to go there too.
Greets! And thanks for your answers!

Yes that's right. We went to Todaiji on foot (which was easy but it was incredibly hot) and you encounter deer pretty fast when you find the five storied pagoda. I thought the Buddha temple was worth it but we only looked at it this time because I entered it two years ago already.
I loved the place for the second time so I am sure you will too!

Darksol

I see you went to Ginkakuji and Kinkakuji. Wonderful places :)

Rydeen

So I'm putting together plans for a two week Japan trip in late Spetember through early October, so far my tentative plan is to initially stay with a friend in Kariya in the Aichi prefecture, and use it as an opportunity to visit Nagoya, but only for a few days. The rest of the time would be in Tokyo. My question to you guys is:

1. Is it cheaper to fly into Chubu Centrair International right outside of Nagoya, or cheaper to fly into Narita / Haneda? If it's the latter, should I flip my plans and spend a week and a half in Tokyo, then a few days in Nagoya / Kariya? Also, what should I be looking for for a one way railway pass to one city or the other?

2. Since I don't have a connection in Tokyo, what are the cheapest options for hostels? Preferably ones I won't feel I'll be robbed while staying, and ones that have baths / showers. Want to do this on the cheap to save money on goods.

Thanks for your input!

1. Is it cheaper to fly into Chubu Centrair International right outside of Nagoya, or cheaper to fly into Narita / Haneda? If it's the latter, should I flip my plans and spend a week and a half in Tokyo, then a few days in Nagoya / Kariya? Also, what should I be looking for for a one way railway pass to one city or the other?

2. Since I don't have a connection in Tokyo, what are the cheapest options for hostels? Preferably ones I won't feel I'll be robbed while staying, and ones that have baths / showers. Want to do this on the cheap to save money on goods.

Thanks for your input!

1. You'll need to search for flights and check prices yourself. There's no telling what it'll be for whatever dates you're going and where your traveling from.

A JR Pass will most likely not be worth it. You could get a Platt Kodama ticket: http://www.jrtours.co.jp/kodama/en/ - I'll be the slowest Shinkansen train though, and you need to buy it at least 1 day in advance. Maybe your friend could help you get one? If not, then just buy a normal Shinkansen ticket.

2. Search hostelworld.com. Khaosan and K's House are usually good options.

inafking

You could get this one at the airport with the 2.2G plan:
http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/en/index.html

Or this one lost of places:
https://t.iijmio.jp/en/index.html

Hey Mike, what I don't get for the first option is that there aren't prices for the SIM card itself but there are prices only for the recharges.

In so-net japanese page it says the price is "open" and the 1GB recharge costs about 2800 JPY without tax (it'd be about 3000 JPY with tax included). That means to have the 2GB plan you've to pay for 2 recharges initially? That'd be about 6000 JPY which is more expensive than the price for a 2GB card in Yodobashi Akiba (about 4000 JPY)

Do you have any information about about so-net card prices?
Greets!

kubus

Hey Mike, what I don't get for the first option is that there aren't prices for the SIM card itself but there are prices only for the recharges.

In so-net japanese page it says the price is "open" and the 1GB recharge costs about 2800 JPY without tax (it'd be about 3000 JPY with tax included). That means to have the 2GB plan you've to pay for 2 recharges initially? That'd be about 6000 JPY which is more expensive than the price for a 2GB card in Yodobashi Akiba (about 4000 JPY)

Do you have any information about about so-net card prices?
Greets!
I actually literally just recharged my So-net data sim so I think I can answer for you :p

The website is a bit confusing because it doesn't mention any prices for the data sim itself. There are three versions, explained under the header "Service Plans" on the website. I take it you want two months (I did as well). You need to buy this card first, which I did at amazon Japan for 4,700 yen. Prices in stores, at the airport etc. will probably be different which is most likely why there are no prices shown on the website.

Once you get your card, you can find your personal log in details on the included sim card. You use this to log in at So-net's website and fill in your credit card details and contact information and activate your card. Then you pop in the sim card into your phone and bam, you have internet. Be aware that you need internet first to activate your card so make sure you know a place with wi-fi somewhere.

Once you use up the 60 days or the 3GB of data you can recharge your data sim through their website, and the costs for that are displayed on the website which you already found (for example the 2,838 yen for +1GB/60 days).

The website is completely in English and there are also English instuctions included with the card. Just make sure you choose the right type! Not just the service plan, but also the sim card type!

inafking

Oh, I see. Thanks a lot!

I don't know if it's less of a fuss to just buy an Iijmio at Yodobashi Akiba. 4,700 yen still a reasonable price for 3GB over 60 days so I might give it a try. I've seen the 3GB/3 months SIM card at the Yodobashi site for 5,000 yen. I hope it costs about the same at Narita Airport shops/machines.

At least we're going to be better prepared than the last time we went to Japan (August 2014), because at that time we bought a data plan in my country (Chile) which had very little MB and was more expensive (it used roaming IIRC).

I just think that it would be cool to tell one's relatives that I've arrived safely at Japan when I've just landed at the airport.

What you can do online (in Japanese websites) is quite limited if you don't have a Japanese phone number.

Goddamn.

What makes this more infuriating is that the company that sent me here didn't give us Japanese phones (we're on roaming). Then talking to a fellow countrymen who's permanently living/working here (same company, different division), he mentions that there's a lot of unused phones in their office. orz

And to make things more ironic, my company's clients are the telecom networks here (DoCoMo and Softbank. Can't remember if KDDI AU also is).

I wish I could have known earlier.

dani_dc

Oh, I see. Thanks a lot!

I don't know if it's less of a fuss to just buy an Iijmio at Yodobashi Akiba. 4,700 yen still a reasonable price for 3GB over 60 days so I might give it a try. I've seen the 3GB/3 months SIM card at the Yodobashi site for 5,000 yen. I hope it costs about the same at Narita Airport shops/machines.

At least we're going to be better prepared than the last time we went to Japan (August 2014), because at that time we bought a data plan in my country (Chile) which had very little MB and was more expensive (it used roaming IIRC).

I just think that it would be cool to tell one's relatives that I've arrived safely at Japan when I've just landed at the airport.

Not sure if they still have it, but a few months ago Yodobashi had a 3GB for 60 days for just under 4000 yen (before taxes I believe).

Edit: Yeah they still have it (in Akiba at least), 3980 yen already with taxes for 3GB/60 days.

inafking

Not sure if they still have it, but a few months ago Yodobashi had a 3GB for 60 days for just under 4000 yen (before taxes I believe).

Edit: Yeah they still have it (in Akiba at least), 3980 yen already with taxes for 3GB/60 days.

Can you please tell me which brand is it? (Link if possible (^_^;) ) EDIT: Is it this? Can't find a normal SIM data card at that price tough -_-

Also, on a different note, anyone knows cheap hostels (up to 8000 JPY a night for a twin room / bunk bed room) in Nagoya close to a subway station?

I know sometimes there are options that don't show up in hostel search engines (Booking.com, Agoda, etc.).

Greets! (^_-)~✰

inafking

I've found a Normal SIM of the same brand that I found before I read the kanji and it's only for 30 days (3GB/30日タイプ), what a bummer (︶︹︺)

I don't know about any reviews on that card though, I guess I'll have to crawl over the net for info.

If anyone has an answer about this please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Also, on a different note, anyone knows cheap hostels (up to 8000 JPY a night for a twin room / bunk bed room) in Nagoya close to a subway station?

So has anyone been out to Fukui? Going to be heading out there for the Dino museum. I don't know if I'm going to get much time there before I need to catch the train back to Osaka. Planning on spending 5 hours at the Museum, travelling back to Fukui and spending around a few hours checking the place out before heading back to Osaka.

dani_dc

I've found a Normal SIM of the same brand that I found before I read the kanji and it's only for 30 days (3GB/30日タイプ), what a bummer (︶︹︺)

I don't know about any reviews on that card though, I guess I'll have to crawl over the net for info.

If anyone has an answer about this please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Ah sorry, I somehow missed that you had said "normal" sim card!
You could get a sim card adaptor for 400 yen in Akiba, but at that point you might as well just get a Iijmio travel card (particularly after seeing the reviews of the card I linked you to).

So has anyone been out to Fukui? Going to be heading out there for the Dino museum. I don't know if I'm going to get much time there before I need to catch the train back to Osaka. Planning on spending 5 hours at the Museum, travelling back to Fukui and spending around a few hours checking the place out before heading back to Osaka.

Never been, but it looks like they have a guidebook in English on their website at least:
http://www.city.fukui.lg.jp/foreign/english/p008207.html

And here's the English website for Katsuyama city, where the dinosaur museum is:
http://www.city.katsuyama.fukui.jp/tourism/lang/english.html

inafking

Ah sorry, I somehow missed that you had said "normal" sim card!
You could get a sim card adaptor for 400 yen in Akiba, but at that point you might as well just get a Iijmio travel card (particularly after seeing the reviews of the card I linked you to).

Yeah, I guess I'll have to resort to Iijmio or SO-NET cards since those last for 2 months which is enough for the time I'm gonna spend in Japan (1 and a half months).

There are very few SIM cards that last that long, even worse, they're in the 5000 yen level, but I guess it's a fair price (3GB/3 for months for 1GB for 5000 yens = 1667 yen a month for 1GB). We have about the same prices for data plans here in my country (but minimum wage in Japan is almost 3 times the minimum wage here in Chile T_T).

About the Nagoya hostels question, I just cancelled my reservation on Nagoya Travellers Hostel for a twin room in Sun Hotel Nagoya Via Shirakawa. I ended paying about $70 a night (about 8700 JPY) but it's a hotel instead of a hostel and that means we have a private bathroom! And we're about 5-6 minutes from a subway station (Fushimi station) (^_^)

Zyzyxxz

Aww shit there's two ramen museums in Yokohama? I wish I had known that when I last visited!

Well another reason to visit Yokohama again.

Never been, but it looks like they have a guidebook in English on their website at least:
http://www.city.fukui.lg.jp/foreign/english/p008207.html

And here's the English website for Katsuyama city, where the dinosaur museum is:
http://www.city.katsuyama.fukui.jp/tourism/lang/english.html
From what I can see there is a fair deal of historic sites out that way, the issue is going to be what time I get to the Dinosaur Museum and what time I leave. If I leave Osaka at 5:30 I can be there by 9. Then leave the Dinosaur museum at 2 or 3 and be back in Fukui by 4, hopefully be able to see at least one or 2 of the historic sites before they close for the day (not sure on what time places like that stay open till).

sfedai0

Banned
Aww shit there's two ramen museums in Yokohama? I wish I had known that when I last visited!

Well another reason to visit Yokohama again.

Where the other one? The one I went to was a bit underwhelming. Great experience for first timers, but better ramen can be found in the city,

I'm going back! I visited Kyoto and Osaka in 2001, but this time I'll be in Tokyo with a friend (his first time) for the entire duration. The plan is to have plenty of things to pick from but basically have a lot of spare time to just take in the sights and chill. We're going in April.

We're planning to find a decent hotel to stay for the duration and then try to get a classier ryokan style place for the last two days, with possibly another two friends joining up. Is there any special area that's a good starting point for a nerd? I'm thinking of just finding somewhere in Shinjuku or so, near a subway line. According to hotels.com, there are plenty of places that go for around $50-60 a night with a small private room which is fine for me.

Gonna go for Robot Restaurant, Ghibli Museum and such. One thing I haven't seen mentioned while browsing around here is garage kit shops. I like to browse Yahoo Auctions for older, rare figures since I like painting and often want figures that aren't mass produced (like Darkstalkers and VF stuff). Is Akihabara the place to look for that kind of shop? As for games, as long as I find a Super Potato I'll probably have enough to buy right there.

Not for a while, going to be opening up some new businesses and unless I can go again before summer I wouldn't want to bother going during the hot months.

Ah, yeah. Summer is terrible :p

We're planning to find a decent hotel to stay for the duration and then try to get a classier ryokan style place for the last two days, with possibly another two friends joining up. Is there any special area that's a good starting point for a nerd? I'm thinking of just finding somewhere in Shinjuku or so, near a subway line. According to hotels.com, there are plenty of places that go for around $50-60 a night with a small private room which is fine for me.

Asakusa/Ueno is close to Akihabara if you want to stay near there, and there's some business hotels in Ochanomizu that's just across the river from Akihabara as well. Ochanomizu hotels got quick access to both the JR Yamanote and Chuo line + the Chiyoda, Marunouchi and Shinjuku subway lines.

inafking

Is there a panda currently in Ueno Zoo? I know I've seen a Panda Statue in pictures but I don't know if those pictures are too old.

I'm planning to visit it to see species that we don't have in our local zoo's.

Greets!

Is there a panda currently in Ueno Zoo? I know I've seen a Panda Statue in pictures but I don't know if those pictures are too old.

I'm planning to visit it to see species that we don't have in our local zoo's.

Greets!

There are photos that have been uploaded to the Tripadvisor page for the Ueno Zoo about a week ago of the Panda's there so I would say they are most certainly there ^_^

So one of the other big things I've wanted to see while I'm in Japan is some New Japan Pro Wrestling. The just updated their upcoming shows page with a show in Tokyo on the 12th of October, 3 days after I leave Tokyo ._. Really hoping they update with some early October shows, would love to see them live.

Thriller

So.. The holiday in Japan is coming to a close.
Tomorrow will be our last day in Tokyo and we will take it easy. Well fly home on Sunday and I had a blast up till now.

The picasa album has been updated a couple of minutes ago (had problems with the internet connection somehow) and soon I'll have to upload the final picture ;)

Id like to thank everyone in this thread for suggesting great places and for giving me information. I appreciate it very much!

hwalker84

Tomorrow will be our last day in Tokyo and we will take it easy. Well fly home on Sunday and I had a blast up till now.

The picasa album has been updated a couple of minutes ago (had problems with the internet connection somehow) and soon I'll have to upload the final picture ;)

Id like to thank everyone in this thread for suggesting great places and for giving me information. I appreciate it very much!
No problem. That's why we're here. I'll check out the album shortly.

So, when are you planning to go back? ;p

Evangelion Shinkansen. I bet JR pass riders wont be eligible to ride it :(.

I'll try to go next year!

Zoe

Does anybody know if there are dedicated stores for (pop) sheet music, or do you just look in bookstores?

Top Bottom