• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Yea sorry, didn't want to give out an address as it's someone's place, but it's in Tanimachi if that's more specific! Apparently it's a fifteen minute walk from Osaka Castle. hahaha if it's 120$ taxi isn't an option, that's too bad :p

How long are you staying in Japan? Are you going to go back from KIX as well, or some other airport?

Cedric

How long are you staying in Japan? Are you going to go back from KIX as well, or some other airport?

I'll be in Japan for three weeks, after that I'm leaving from Tokyo to go to Busan in South Korea. I won't be saying long in Osaka though, just three days and after that I'm off to Kyoto.

I'll be in Japan for three weeks, after that I'm leaving from Tokyo to go to Busan in South Korea. I won't be saying long in Osaka though, just three days and after that I'm off to Kyoto.

Ok. Get the one way ICOCA & HARUKA package:
http://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/pass/icoca-haruka/

Then take the Haruka train from KIX to Tennoji and switch to the Tanimachi Line subway and then get off at either Tanimachi Kyuchome, Tanimachi Rokuchome or Tanimachi Yonchome station. Dunno which one is closer to where you're going.

J-Fr

Hello! I'm going to spend a few days in Tokyo next week! :)

Does anyone have tips on fireworks viewing there? I would like to see the Tokyo bay fireworks on the 8th of august but I don't know any good spot. (I read that the viewing spots in the surrounding parks are not free)
Thanks.

Getting a little confused w/ the valid bullet trains for the JR Pass. I understand that JR pass holders can ride all bullet trains except the Nozomi and Mizuo trains. Is the train described below a Tokaido/Sanyo train or a Nozomi train?

"Tokaido / Sanyo Shinkansen Nozomi 124のぞみtowards Tokyo"

Darksol

Getting a little confused w/ the valid bullet trains for the JR Pass. I understand that JR pass holders can ride all bullet trains except the Nozomi and Mizuo trains. Is the train described below a Tokaido/Sanyo train or a Nozomi train?

That train you listed is a Nozomi class shinkansen.

I'm going to be staying in Tokyo from September to December, and I'm wondering if I can get some advice about the weather--specifically in regard to traveling around Japan. My girlfriend and I will be working online out of the city, but we'd like to make at least a few (relatively inexpensive, we hope) trips to other spots around the country. Which places make the most sense during those months? Which don't? When is a particularly bad time to go to Okinawa?

Edit: any advice in regard to packing clothes for the weather would also be extremely helpful!

I'd love an answer to this!

And another question: is this a decent guide for Tokyo if I'm going sans cell phone data?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1568364458/?tag=neogaf0e-20

A good friend recommended it, but I thought I'd get a second opinion before pulling the trigger.

That train you listed is a Nozomi class shinkansen.

Yup. The Tokaido / Sanyo part is the line name, and Nozomi is the train name.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/about_jrp.html

JAPAN RAIL PASS cannot be used for travel on NOZOMI and MIZUHO trains on the Tokaido, Sanyo, and Kyushu Shinkansen lines.

And another question: is this a decent guide for Tokyo if I'm going sans cell phone data?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1568364458/?tag=neogaf0e-20

A good friend recommended it, but I thought I'd get a second opinion before pulling the trigger.

Hm... That guide is 3 years old by now. A bit outdated? I used the offline TripAdvisor Tokyo app + a physical copy of this free guide book they have at various tourist information places in Tokyo on my first trip to Japan:
http://www.gotokyo.org/book/0001-030-en/

Better to just rent a mobile wifi device like this though:
http://wifi.tocoo.jp/en/

@Mike Hatsu,

According to Google maps, all bullet trains from Osaka to Tokyo are the ones that aren't valid with the JR pass. Do I have to go to Kyoto first before I can take a Tokyo train covered by the JR-pass? Thanks.

@Mike Hatsu,

According to Google maps, all bullet trains from Osaka to Tokyo are the ones that aren't valid with the JR pass. Do I have to go to Kyoto first before I can take a Tokyo train covered by the JR-pass? Thanks.

Nah. There's should be some Hikari trains that goes directly from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo. Which day/time are you looking at?

Try searching on the Hyperdia website:
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Under more options, un-check everything except Bullet Train and Japan Railway

Darksol

@Mike Hatsu,

There are definitely shinkansen from Osaka to Tokyo. I know, because I used the JR pass to get to Osaka from Tokyo and back on the shinkansen. If I'm not mistaken, the shinkansen will take you from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka station (or rather, from Shin-Osaka station to Tokyo, if you're leaving from Osaka).

I think I was on the Hikari? I can't remember. But yeah, it's definitely doable.

There are definitely shinkansen from Osaka to Tokyo. I know, because I used the JR pass to get to Osaka from Tokyo and back on the shinkansen. If I'm not mistaken, the shinkansen will take you from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka station.

I think I was on the Hikari? I can't remember. But yeah, it's definitely doable.

Looks like Google Maps got some problems right now with displaying Shinkansen trains.

Darksol

Looks like Google Maps got some problems right now with displaying Shinkansen trains.

Weird.

Oh, but to the person asking, here's my definitive proof that you can use JR. This was my shinkansen ticket. I never paid a penny beyond the initial cost of the JR pass.

zWlF0wh.jpg

Looking at hotels now. There is a really cheap one in Ikebukuro but I don't know if that's where we want to be. A bit seedy too (although that could be fun). Edit: Too remote.

Then there's two east of the river but near Akihabara, one is a bit further BUT it has both laundry, microwave and fridge available which could be really useful for 12 nights stay. Edit: First one doesn't have separate bathrooms so that's out.

And finally a place in Shinjuku, apparently rather near Robot Restaurant (although that's only useful once), very near a station, has fridge and there's no smoker option which should mean better air.

Gonna ask my friend which one to pick, but all should be fairly good options, and less than about $65 per night.

We've decided to spend the last two nights with two other friends at a classier ryokan style place, but we're booking that elsewhere.

Darksol

Still visiting in Kyoto right now, but I just had the most traumatizing experience in Nara.

Do not buy the deer food. They are vicious, soulless creatures that will literally attack you if you are holding those deceptively harmless crackers.

They know four moves- bite, headbutt, trample, and kick. They are like wild Pokemon that cannot be tamed.

I think I have PTSD. :(

Some of them bow :p

But yes, those fuckers will get the food, with or without your help!

Taking lots of pictures?

hwalker84

Still visiting in Kyoto right now, but I just had the most traumatizing experience in Nara.

Do not buy the deer food. They are vicious, soulless creatures that will literally attack you if you are holding those deceptively harmless crackers.

They know four moves- bite, headbutt, trample, and kick. They are like wild Pokemon that cannot be tamed.

They somehow respond to commands like if you put both hands up they'll stop attacking you. Be the dominate male. They'll also bow. Try to get the food on the sly if all else fails.

it was a bit scary at first especially when they crowd you, my tactic was to walk away if I was done at the moment. They'll follow but not for long. Kind of a jerk move but walk towards people who are actively feeding and they'll ditch you for them

SKINNER!

Banned
DON'T BE FOOLED.

(These were super tame. The males with the antlers were the really scary ones. My bf's shirt has holes[a deer was pulling him for attention] and I have a enormous bruise on my back from when a huge one with antlers nipped me super hard.)

As previously mentioned, you gotta be the dominant one. I always buy the crackers and feed them with little to no problems. Always carrying one at a time and just standing my ground. Really nothing to it and got lots of pics of me chilling with the awesome animals. The only inconvenient things I got was a small nip and a crazy amount of deer saliva on my shirt.

inafking

Anyone know of any shops in and around Tokyo that might be good for retro PC stuff. Like MSX or X68000?

IIRC, there's one in Akihabara in Chuo dori (street). In think the name's written in katakana, like レトロ or something.

EDIT: I think this is the shop you're looking for
B0Xnuye.jpg

So, it seems that both hotels I was looking at are on JR lines, one is on JR Yamanote Line and the other is on JR Line. Does that mean that I will need two cards to travel on this and the regular subway system? Or will a Suica card cover them both? Or is there a 14 day card that covers both? Yamanote seems to bring me around all the major areas, but it will probably take a lot of time to hike around.

Edit: Hotel MyStays Kameido felt like the better option. Booked now for 12 days. We got separate rooms with fridge, microwave and baths. Then we can take the JR line directly into the center of Tokyo.

inafking

So, it seems that both hotels I was looking at are on JR lines, one is on JR Yamanote Line and the other is on JR Line. Does that mean that I will need two cards to travel on this and the regular subway system? Or will a Suica card cover them both? Or is there a 14 day card that covers both? Yamanote seems to bring me around all the major areas, but it will probably take a lot of time to hike around.

Edit: Hotel MyStays Kameido felt like the better option. Booked now for 12 days. We got separate rooms with fridge, microwave and baths. Then we can take the JR line directly into the center of Tokyo.

A suica will mork for almost 99% percent of transportation in Tokyo.

JR, Tokyo Metro Subway, Toei Subway, Keisei Lines, Odakyu Lines...all lines that extend beyond the normal route of most subways.

EDIT: JR Line? Which one of them?...there are lots of it (JR Keihin-Tohoku, JR Chuo, JR Sobu, JR Joban, JR Musashino, JR Saikyo, etc.)

EDIT 2: I always try to look for a hotel/hostel that's close to both Tokyo Metro subway, Toei Subway and JR lines so you don't need to transfer to a different railway company since that means an additional charge.

A suica will mork for almost 99% percent of transportation in Tokyo.

JR, Tokyo Metro Subway, Toei Subway, Keisei Lines, Odakyu Lines...all lines that extend beyond the normal route of most subways.

EDIT: JR Line? Which one of them?...there are lots of it (JR Keihin-Tohoku, JR Chuo, JR Sobu, JR Joban, JR Musashino, JR Saikyo, etc.)

JR Sobu.

The Suica is a debit card, right? How much can we prepare to spend, going from Koto to, say, Akihabara?

IIRC, there's one in Akihabara in Chuo dori (street). In think the name's written in katakana, like レトロ or something.

EDIT: I think this is the shop you're looking for
B0Xnuye.jpg

I remember that place from the last time we visited. I can't remember if they had retro pc stuff or not because I wasn't in the market then but I wouldn't be surprised. It was one of the most crowded places I saw there. I also figure that Super Potato and the Traders will be good places to look as well.

JR Sobu.

The Suica is a debit card, right? How much can we prepare to spend, going from Koto to, say, Akihabara?

You preload your SUICA card and tap it on a reader to get into the stations. I don't know anything about Koto but you can get to most places in Tokyo for a few hundred yen in my experience.

inafking

JR Sobu.

Yeah, it works like that, You pay 2000 yens for a suica, from which 500 yens is the cost of the card and 1500 yens is for travel (your balance).

A trip from Kameido Station to Akihabara costs 160 yens

In case you need to need to return your suica, you'll be refunded those 500 yens and the balance that's left minus a 220 yen charge.

IDK how many yens they give you for a buck. It's just a matter to do the math.
Greets! (^_^)~✰

EDIT: Late response! In any case, you need to tap the card into the IC reader while both getting in and out of the station. The cost of the travel depends on the distance of your trip and wheter you commute to a different railway company.

Wow, sounds Akihabara will be the place to go. I plan to spend a few days there at least, just endless browsing game stores. Oh heaven.

But yeah, we'll hit all the major areas and take in everything.

inafking

Wow, sounds Akihabara will be the place to go. I plan to spend a few days there at least, just endless browsing game stores. Oh heaven.

Yeah it's both heaven (for our likes) and hell (for our wallet) (;^_^)

I'm glad you could book a hotel that's close to a station and that has a direct connection to Akihabara station (by Sobu line).

You can reach also Shibuya by going to Akihabara on Sobu line and then taking the Yamanote line. There's the Mugiwara Store (One Piece) in Shibuya Parco in the upper floors, just in case you're interested.

There's J-World in Ikebukuro which you can also reach doing the Sobu line / Yamanote line but taking the Yamanote line the other way.

I remember that place from the last time we visited. I can't remember if they had retro pc stuff or not because I wasn't in the market then but I wouldn't be surprised. It was one of the most crowded places I saw there. I also figure that Super Potato and the Traders will be good places to look as well.

It's one of the more expensive places to buy retro stuff though.

You should check out Nakano Broadway too. Can take the JR Sobu line directly there as well.

Would it be better to wait until I get to Osaka before I do much serious retro game shopping out of interest? I've heard Denden town is meant to be quite awesome for all of that.

I am planning on hitting up Akihabara on my second day to scope things out and then visit on my last day in Tokyo to buy anything that caught my interest. Also need to go to a place that does Video capture mods for 3DS and Vita, going to drop my Vita and PAL New 3DS off to get them done and plan to pick up on the last day.

Do have alot of DS games in mind I want to hunt for as well as some Game Boy stuff, hoping as handhelds are my main interest the Retro shopping won't totally kill me.

Also looking like I'm going to be able to go out on the trip with $6,000 Australian for spending money which should give me more than enough to cover the whole trip (including Singapore and Bali once I leave Japan). Budgeting on around 10,000 Yen a day in Japan, so hoping I'll be fine.

Also just looking for some more advice, so I'm staying at the Sakura Hotel in Ikebukuro, currently have a single bed selected, but worried about the bed size. I mean I'm 6 foot 4 and abit over weight, the bed isn't going to be too small for me is it, thinking of spending an extra 33,500 Yen on upgrading to a Double room for the week in Tokyo. Fairly certain I'm going to be fine in Nagoya & Osaka.

Also, 8 more weeks to go, getting HYPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guide is helpful if you're gonna look for retro games in Akihabara:
www.usgamer.net/articles/the-classic-gamers-tokyo-shopping-guide

There's also a Book-Off underneat the rail tracks to the south of Akihabara station.
Edit: Map here, also with a Sofmap store:
www.kotaku.com/a-gamer-buyers-guide-to-otaku-mecca-akihabara-1581892976

Check out Nakano Broadway as well that's mentioned in that guide above. Goes well with a Ghibli Museum visit since it's on the way.

And they'll probably have some stuff in the Tokyo stores that's not in Den Den Town and vice versa so if you see something you like, then you should get it.

You could try mailing the hotel and ask how big the bed is in a single room?

Haha, I actually have a file saved on my Onedrive of useful links and stuff for the trip, stuff like official pages for places I'm going as well as tips and tricks while I'm over there, eating guides and so on. That guide from USGamer has been on it since day one ^_^

Awesome idea, didn't think about that. Its more the length I'm worried about, would rather my legs not be hanging over the edge so as lone as the bed is around 200 cm long I should be fine.

Haha, I actually have a file saved on my Onedrive of useful links and stuff for the trip, stuff like official pages for places I'm going as well as tips and tricks while I'm over there, eating guides and so on. That guide from USGamer has been on it since day one ^_^

Hehe. Note that they have more games on that other floor in Friends now as well. Lots of PlayStation and newer last time I were there.

Hehe. Note that they have more games on that other floor in Friends now as well. Lots of PlayStation and newer last time I were there.
What about places for newer games? I need to pick up a Japanese 3DS and a bunch of games that aren't going to get localised (EX Troopers and the Dragon Quest games), are they all in the same general area or would I be fine with stores near were I'm staying. I've got the Sunshine City Mall like 10 mins walk from my hotel, hoping there is some good stuff to buy there gaming wise.

EDIT:
Actually the more I look into Sunshine City there more awesome stuff there seems to be there, think I'm going to have to stop by there on my first day. Current plan for day 1 is to after I've gotten up walk down to the Square Enix cafe for lunch and then walk back and just explore. I think part of that will be stopping at Sunshine City and seeing a tonne of stuff there, aquarium, Pokemon Centre and other stuff. Shame the Observatory seems to be closed at the moment, that would have been great to check out.

There's also a Book-Off underneat the rail tracks to the south of Akihabara station.
Edit: Map here, also with a Sofmap store:
www.kotaku.com/a-gamer-buyers-guide-to-otaku-mecca-akihabara-1581892976

Check out Nakano Broadway as well that's mentioned in that guide above. Goes well with a Ghibli Museum visit since it's on the way.

And they'll probably have some stuff in the Tokyo stores that's not in Den Den Town and vice versa so if you see something you like, then you should get it.

Looks like I need to make sure I find Friends. I definitely missed it the last time I was around and the USGamer guide says they have computers. I can't find X68k stuff on their site but they do have MSX and FM-Towns so they're a must.

I am planning on hitting up Akihabara on my second day to scope things out and then visit on my last day in Tokyo to buy anything that caught my interest. Also need to go to a place that does Video capture mods for 3DS and Vita, going to drop my Vita and PAL New 3DS off to get them done and plan to pick up on the last day.

My advise to you from personal experience is don't "scope". If you see anything that catches your eye, buy it immediately because you won't find it again even if you go back an hour later.

What about places for newer games? I need to pick up a Japanese 3DS and a bunch of games that aren't going to get localised (EX Troopers and the Dragon Quest games), are they all in the same general area or would I be fine with stores near were I'm staying. I've got the Sunshine City Mall like 10 mins walk from my hotel, hoping there is some good stuff to buy there gaming wise.

Just go to any electronics/gaming store that sells games if you want a brand new 3DS. If you're fine with a used one, then go to Book Off I guess.

Not sure about EX Troopers and Dragon Quest specifically, but those places should have 3DS games as well.

My advise to you from personal experience is don't "scope". If you see anything that catches your eye, buy it immediately because you won't find it again even if you go back an hour later.
I think the way I'm going to go into it is a list of games I really do want, a few rare Japanese DS and Game Boy games plus a few others, will get them as soon as I see them. Anything else will be on the maybe pile.
Just go to any electronics/gaming store that sells games if you want a brand new 3DS. If you're fine with a used one, then go to Book Off I guess.

Not sure about EX Troopers and Dragon Quest specifically, but those places should have 3DS games as well.
Sweet, I think I'll hunt around for those in Sunshine City on my first day then.

Thinking for Day one the plan will be walk down from Hotel to the Square Enix Cafe, and then walk over to the Imperial Palace and see some sights there and then make my way up to Sunshine City to finish off the day (and raid the Pokemon Store there ^_^). Good way to take things easy and soak in alot of the sights.

SKINNER!

Banned

On one hand you are correct but the number of times I picked up stuff the second I saw it and then found it for less money somewhere has been a bit frequent. If the item you're looking for in Akiba is rare/retro and definitely hard to find then yes, pounce on it like a cheetah. Otherwise, check out other stores in other areas and then come back later on in the day. For hardware, I recommend checking out second-hand goods if you're looking for a bargain. Japan knows how to maintain, refurbish and resell second hand goods.

As mentioned earlier, check out Book-Off if you're looking for dirt cheap Famicom and Super-Famicom consoles. I saw plenty at the one in Shibuya.

flonty

Hey guys
I am thinking about a spontaneous trip for about a week to Tokyo.
Now I would like to ask those of you with experience in Japan travel, wether this idea of mine is stupid/waste of time/money.

I thoght about booking the flight and the hotel/hostel myself without a travel agency.
I can not speak a single word japanes nor can I read Kana/Kanji. How lost would I be without a travel guide and the language barrier? My goal would it be to mostly visit Tokyo City.

What do you guys think about it?

I thoght about booking the flight and the hotel/hostel myself without a travel agency.
I can not speak a single word japanes nor can I read Kana/Kanji. How lost would I be without a travel guide and the language barrier? My goal would it be to mostly visit Tokyo City.

That's what I did on my first trip to Japan and it went fine. Most signs in train/subway stations are in English, same with announcements on the trains and a lot of eating places got pictures of the food, so you can point at the pictures of what you want even if it's in Japanese. A few also got English menus.

Have a look at this free PDF guidebook though, it got useful maps and train/subway line info:
http://www.gotokyo.org/book/0001-030-en/book.pdf

Hey guys
I am thinking about a spontaneous trip for about a week to Tokyo.
Now I would like to ask those of you with experience in Japan travel, wether this idea of mine is stupid/waste of time/money.

You'll be fine, bring along a phrasebook / dictionary for the basics just in case. I found that a lot of people there speak english decently enough, especially Hostel employees.

Do plan out your itinerary beforehand though, things can be a bit overwhelming if you don't have any sort of solid planning to fall back on.

(or just spend most of your time in Akiba like me during the tokyo portion of my trip, hurr durr)

flonty

That's what I did on my first trip to Japan and it went fine. Most signs in train/subway stations are in English, same with announcements on the trains and a lot of eating places got pictures of the food, so you can point at the pictures of what you want even if it's in Japanese. A few also got English menus.

Have a look at this free PDF guidebook though, it got useful maps and train/subway line info:
http://www.gotokyo.org/book/0001-030-en/book.pdf

You'll be fine, bring along a phrasebook / dictionary for the basics just in case. I found that a lot of people there speak english decently enough, especially Hostel employees.

Do plan out your itinerary beforehand though, things can be a bit overwhelming if you don't have any sort of solid planning to fall back on.

(or just spend most of your time in Akiba like me during the tokyo portion of my trip, hurr durr)

Thank you :)
I am glad that this is not a hopeless/stupid Idea. Will look into the PDF.

Well guys, after thinking about it... planning then putting it off...

...I've just booked my trip to Japan!

I'm super excited, and I can't wait to finally go (again!). This time it's for 2 weeks.

It's more "motorsports" oriented as I'm going to the Toyko Auto Salon, and visiting a bunch of car shops, and a few tracks.

I'll be following this thread and posting random questions.

Right now I'm just too excited to think of any!

inafking

Well guys, after thinking about it... planning then putting it off...

...I've just booked my trip to Japan!

I'm super excited, and I can't wait to finally go (again!). This time it's for 2 weeks.

It's more "motorsports" oriented as I'm going to the Toyko Auto Salon, and visiting a bunch of car shops, and a few tracks.

I'll be following this thread and posting random questions.

Right now I'm just too excited to think of any!

You can book a visit to Toyota's plant if you're gonna spend time in Nagoya.

Close to Tokyo, you could also see Kawasaki Good Times museum. Too bad I spoiled myself by looking at Street View pictures (-‸ლ)

Top Bottom