• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Waldek

Neo Member
I'll be visiting Tokyo in October. I'm planning to pickup few art books (some examples of the kind of the books below) So far the shops I know about are Super Potato, Book Off and Tsutaya Books. But I don't know if those are the best places to check out. If any one could suggest more I would appreciate it, Thanks

artbooks.jpg

I'll be visiting Tokyo in October. I'm planning to pickup few art books (some examples of the kind of the books below) So far the shops I know about are Super Potato, Book Off and Tsutaya Books. But I don't know if those are the best places to check out. If any one could suggest more I would appreciate it, Thanks

Go to book town:
http://en.japantravel.com/view/book-town-in-jimbocho

If you're interested in anime/game art books, then you should check out the various stores in Nakano Broadway as well.

Stuart444

Hey guys :D

So been working out a reasonable cost (hopefully) trip that me and my SO can afford to go to Japan from Glasgow. I don't have much questions just now about travel/accommodation since we're not booking the flights until we get our passports (we're applying for them within the week and they are our first 'adult' passports so lots of work involved :( ).

But I did want to ask, what are good dates to go around Sakura time next year? So Aprilish time I guess. Ideally it'd be a 2 week stay but this is pretty near golden week so yeah, thought it'd be helpful to ask so we can research flight costs and other stuff.

Hey guys :D

So been working out a reasonable cost (hopefully) trip that me and my SO can afford to go to Japan from Glasgow. I don't have much questions just now about travel/accommodation since we're not booking the flights until we get our passports (we're applying for them within the week and they are our first 'adult' passports so lots of work involved :( ).

But I did want to ask, what are good dates to go around Sakura time next year? So Aprilish time I guess. Ideally it'd be a 2 week stay but this is pretty near golden week so yeah, thought it'd be helpful to ask so we can research flight costs and other stuff.

First week of April most likely. So a trip in week 13+14 would probably be the best time.

I'm going to be staying in Tokyo from September to December, and I'm wondering if I can get some advice about the weather--specifically in regard to traveling around Japan. My girlfriend and I will be working online out of the city, but we'd like to make at least a few (relatively inexpensive, we hope) trips to other spots around the country. Which places make the most sense during those months? Which don't? When is a particularly bad time to go to Okinawa?

Edit: any advice in regard to packing clothes for the weather would also be extremely helpful!

Gritesh

Just booked my plane tickets this morning.
Its a ways away but me and my wife are going March 16-31 I would like to have gone longer but we aren't bringing our son with us and we don't want to be away from him for much longer than two weeks. We already picked out our hotels etc now that the tickets are booked we can reserve those too.

Question though how far in advance should I get my transit passes?

Zoe

Question though how far in advance should I get my transit passes?

The rail pass order is only good for three months, so you'd want to start look at the exchange rate around the end/beginning of the year. If you're waiting till near the end, just be sure to give yourself enough time to receive it.

Gritesh

The rail pass order is only good for three months, so you'd want to start look at the exchange rate around the end/beginning of the year. If you're waiting till near the end, just be sure to give yourself enough time to receive it.
Ty

This will be our first time going we are pretty excited!!

inafking

おはよう!

I find that it's very annoying for the pass to pay off since you've to stay at most 2 days in a city and then use the shinkansen to another far away city (Or travel like crazy ONLY on JR trains). If you use subways or private railways you're screwed.

You end up being as tired as you were working, and you end up knowing very little about each city.

Well, it's each one decision. That's my two cents.

Gritesh

Yes we are going from Tokyo to Kyoto and then to Hiroshima and then back to Tokyo.

Should we only spend one night in Hiroshima? Currently on our trip plan we have two nights there.
Or should we forgo the night in Hiroshima for a night in miyajima

Yes we are going from Tokyo to Kyoto and then to Hiroshima and then back to Tokyo.

Should we only spend one night in Hiroshima? Currently on our trip plan we have two nights there.
Or should we forgo the night in Hiroshima for a night in miyajima

It was just an example I used. Feel free to stay longer.

If I'm trying to book tickets through Lawson online, do I need to live in Japan to do so?

Yes.

Damn :(.

There's some space for Eorzea on the date and time I want, but I can't book it until I fly in I guess.

Oh well :D. Guess I'll visit a Lawson or 7/11 first thing after I land!

Thanks Mike :D

Could try asking somebody who's living in Japan to help you though, if you want to secure yourself some tickets right now.

Dandte

Question reagarding tap water / bottled water.
Iirc you can drink water right off the faucet but it has a lot of chlorine in it. Does bottles water pay off? Here in Germany we pay for premium brands around 75 Yen per bottle and for diecunter brands around 26 Yen. While traveling the US i always bought a 32er 0.5l and threw it in my truck and was good for a week. Is this also possible nad is bottled water affordable or would it cost me a fortune?

inafking

Question reagarding tap water / bottled water.
Iirc you can drink water right off the faucet but it has a lot of chlorine in it. Does bottles water pay off? Here in Germany we pay for premium brands around 75 Yen per bottle and for diecunter brands around 26 Yen. While traveling the US i always bought a 32er 0.5l and threw it in my truck and was good for a week. Is this also possible nad is bottled water affordable or would it cost me a fortune?

Is that price for 1 gallon bottles? Or is it for 0.5 liter ones?

In Chile we pay about 110 yen for 0.5 liter still mineral water bottles of diecunter brands.

Our tap water have too many minerals and it's worst in the north part of the country. People there only have bottled water.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
If I'm trying to book tickets through Lawson online, do I need to live in Japan to do so?

I'm trying to book for EORZEA but I'm getting a page that wants me to enter my prefecture and it's required. I'm not sure what it means :(

I can access lawson machines,

What do you need?

when you say Eorzea do you mean the cafe?

just let me know dates and i will get the reservation for you. :)

PowerTaxi

Banned
Yay,flights booked. I'll be there from the 29th of September for 10 days.

Now I just have to find time to organise stuff while I'm meant to be studying >_>

I'm visiting Japan for the first time next week with my GF.

We land on Osaka, spend 2 nights there, another night in Koyasan, another in Nara, three in Kyoto, one in Hiroshima and then we activate the JRP to get to Tokyo and spend there 6 nights.

I've had numerous advices from friends that have been there but would like to hear from more people.

My main concerns are about Osaka and Kyoto. We have planned to visit Nikko, Fuji, Himeji, 5 lakes and Kamamura while we're staying at Tokyo.

What do you guys advice to visit in Osaka and Kyoto?

Well, as I said in the thread you made, it depends on what you're interested in.

Wouldn't it be better to visit Himeji while in Kyoto/Osaka?

Are you planning to climb Mt. Fuji?

Well, as I said in the thread you made, it depends on what you're interested in.

Wouldn't it be better to visit Himeji while in Kyoto/Osaka?

Are you planning to climb Mt. Fuji?

We have to check maps, but we were adviced to get to Himeji while staying in Tokyo.

Edit. Oh, I see, right, we shoudl visit Himeji while we are at Osaka or Kyoto.

No climbing lol, just the area of Fuji.

https://www.google.es/maps/place/Fu...2!3m1!1s0x601bd58c03ba4d0d:0x2ce032261dce3289

Well, what does your current itinerary look like and what sights are you planning to see? Are you flying out from Osaka?

Madrid-Osaka (Kansai International Airport)
Osaka-Koyasan
Koyasan-Nara
Nara-Kyoto
Kyoto-Hiroshima
Hiroshima-Tokyo
Tokyo (Narita International Airport)-Madrid

We stay at Tokyo 6 nights and have already picked 3 days to visit 5 Lakes, Kamamura and Nikko since Fuji has been crossed.

Madrid-Osaka (Kansai International Airport)
Osaka-Koyasan
Koyasan-Nara
Nara-Kyoto
Kyoto-Hiroshima
Hiroshima-Tokyo
Tokyo (Narita International Airport)-Madrid

Ok, then it might be better to activate your JR Pass before you go to Hiroshima.

And which days are you planning to go to Nikko, Fuji five lakes and Kamamura?

If you make a more detailed list like this, then we could help you more:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167569139&postcount=4715

So, this is our current plan.

Day 1: Arrival at Osaka at 7pm local time.
Day 2: Visiting Osaka
Day 3: Travel from Osaka to Koyasan early in the morning, visiting Koyasan
Day 4: Travel from Koyasan to Nara early in the morning, visiting Nara
Day 5: Travel from Nara to Kyoto after having lunch.
Day 6: Visiting Kyoto
Day 7: Visiting Kyoto, might check visiting Himeji if possible
Day 8: Travel from Kyoto to Hiroshima early in the morning, activating Rail Pass, visiting Hiroshima/Mijajima
Day 9: Travel from Hiroshima to Tokyo early in the morning, visiting Tokyo for a while
Day 10: Travel to Fuji (discarted) ?????
Day 11: Travel to 5 Lakes early in the morning, get back to Tokyo early in the night
Day 13: Travel to Kamamura early in the morning, get back to Tokyo after lunch, visit Tokyo
Day 14: Travel to Nikko early in the morning, get back to Tokyo after lunch, visit Tokyo
Day 15: Visiting Tokyo
Day 16: Visiting Tokyo, leaving to the airport at night since flight leaves at 10:20 pm

Ayumi

I feel like I might have asked this before, but since the trip is so close I'll ask it again.

I want to pick up (lots) bottles of this for gifts:

51OflYdqNzL.jpg

& also, tons and tons of Shiseido products.

Is there a Japanese equivalent of a Sephora or Nordstroms I can go to for Shiseido?

I heard you can get Una Kowa at the convenience store. I was wondering if I could buy it in bulk somewhere else, too.

I'm not really sure what Sephora is, a drug store, makeup store or a brand?

Either way, I buy my makeup at various drugstores (department stores with shampoo, OTC medicine, makeup). Some have a few brands, others have tons. Matsumoto (located in many areas) is very big on brands so you should be able to find Shiseido there.

If you wanna buy in bulks I think Amazon or directly from Shiseido might be the easiest.

If you can't find Shiseido anywhere, I guess the best would be to visit the Shiseido store itself. But if you are from the US, you have to prepare for much higher prices than where you live... So I don't see why you'd buy it here instead. Brand cosmetics is expensive in Japan. And that's also why Shiseido store is located in Ginza, a very famous upscale shopping district. You could check Shiseido's website + Amazon and compare to where you live.

Where are you transferring to? You might be able to find it super cheap at European duty free stores on your way home.

Dunno about ウナ クール, butI believe they have a webstore too but I would check Amazon.jp. If you order while on vacation you can ship to the nearest konbini.

You're missing day 12 in your list :p

But, ok. On day 1, you should get a one way ICOCA & HARUKA package to get from the airport to Osaka:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/pass/icoca-haruka/

You can use the ICOCA card to take trains/subways while in Tokyo and buses in Nikko and Fuji Five Lakes.

On day 2 you could get a 1-day Osaka Amazing Pass to check out various attractions:
https://www.osaka-info.jp/osp/en/index.html

Day 3-5, get and use that Kansai Thru Pass. If possible, then squeeze in your Himeji trip on day 5, since the Kansai Thru Pass covers that trip.

Day 6-7 get bus passes for 500 JPY and use those. If you didn't go to Himeji on day 5, then activate your JR Pass on day 7 and go to Himeji if you want to.

8-13 (or 14 if you didn't use it for Himeji) use your JR Pass as much as possible. Note that buses in the Fuji Five Lakes and Nikko and subways in Tokyo does not accept the JR Pass, nor does it cover the train betweek Otsuki and Kawaguchiko when going to Fuji Five Lakes.

In Tokyo on day 15, just use the ICOCA card.

When you're going to the airport on the last day, you could take one of the cheap slower trains, or get a Keisei Skyliner e-ticket:
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/e-ticket/en/ticket/91/

For stuff to do in Kyoto:
Kinkakuji and Kiyomizudera as I mentioned earlier. Fushimi Inari Shrine is neat as well.

Check out one of the shopping streets like Nishiki and visit Higashiyama or Gion and see the old buildings.

Maybe check out the monkey park in Arashiyama?

And there's enough to do in Tokyo without going to yet another different city, but if you want you could always check out Yokohama with the ramen museums and Chinatown.

Trace

Banned
What's the best way to get from Narita airport to Asakusa station? I was going to buy a SUICA and then take the Keisei Limited Express, not sure if that's the best bet though.

What's the best way to get from Narita airport to Asakusa station? I was going to buy a SUICA and then take the Keisei Limited Express, not sure if that's the best bet though.

Yeah, that's the cheapest/best. Make sure you get on one going to Oshiage/Asakusa/Haneda and not one for Ueno, or else you need to switch trains at Aoto.

Looking for some cool places to check out in Ikebukuro, any recommendations? We've done things like Super Potato, Namja Town, Sunshine60... a lot of the more common stuff. Going to check out that Shonen Jump place and the Mega Tokyo Pokemon Centre as they didn't exist last time we visited, but having trouble finding much else.

Anything cooler/more obscure than the Kamen Rider cafe? :p Thanks!

Day 1: Arrival at Osaka at 7pm local time.
Day 2: Visiting Osaka
Day 3: Travel from Osaka to Koyasan early in the morning, visiting Koyasan
Day 4: Travel from Koyasan to Nara early in the morning, visiting Nara
Day 5: Travel from Nara to Kyoto after having lunch.
Day 6: Visiting Kyoto
Day 7: Visiting Kyoto, might check visiting Himeji if possible
Day 8: Travel from Kyoto to Hiroshima early in the morning, activating Rail Pass, visiting Hiroshima/Mijajima
Day 9: Travel from Hiroshima to Tokyo early in the morning, visiting Tokyo for a while
Day 10: Travel to Fuji (discarted) ?????
Day 11: Travel to 5 Lakes early in the morning, get back to Tokyo early in the night
Day 13: Travel to Kamamura early in the morning, get back to Tokyo after lunch, visit Tokyo
Day 14: Travel to Nikko early in the morning, get back to Tokyo after lunch, visit Tokyo
Day 15: Visiting Tokyo
Day 16: Visiting Tokyo, leaving to the airport at night since flight leaves at 10:20 pm

I stayed on Koyasan five years ago, it is a lovely place. I'm assuming you'll be staying in a temple for the night? Be sure to visit oku-no-in (the graveyard), it is a really special place, especially as it turns to dusk.

kubus

Looking for some cool places to check out in Ikebukuro, any recommendations? We've done things like Super Potato, Namja Town, Sunshine60... a lot of the more common stuff. Going to check out that Shonen Jump place and the Mega Tokyo Pokemon Centre as they didn't exist last time we visited, but having trouble finding much else.

Anything cooler/more obscure than the Kamen Rider cafe? :p Thanks!
There's an owl cafe in Ikebukuro if I'm not mistaken. Maybe that's worth checking out?

Cedric

Hey yall, I'm going to Osaka next week. I arrive at Kansai International Airport in the afternoon and have to make my way to my apartment in Chuo Ku (?). This will be my first time in Japan, does anyone know the best way to get in that part of town? I'll be very tired, would a taxi be expensive?

Hey yall, I'm going to Osaka next week. I arrive at Kansai International Airport in the afternoon and have to make my way to my apartment in Chuo Ku (?). This will be my first time in Japan, does anyone know the best way to get in that part of town? I'll be very tired, would a taxi be expensive?

Some more detailed address would be good. Chuo-ku is a ward that's 8.88km2 in size.

And a taxi from KIX to Osaka would be $120+ :p

Cedric

Some more detailed address would be good. Chuo-ku is a ward that's 8.88km2 in size.

And a taxi from KIX to Osaka would be $120+ :p

Yea sorry, didn't want to give out an address as it's someone's place, but it's in Tanimachi if that's more specific! Apparently it's a fifteen minute walk from Osaka Castle. hahaha if it's 120$ taxi isn't an option, that's too bad :p

Top Bottom