• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Hello GAF,

I'm staying in Japan for 6 days and would like to visit Hiroshima for the Miyajima shrine, the 5-story pagoda, and ryokan there. I've been eyeing Iwaso for a while, but the price is really steep. Has anyone ever stayed there? How's the experience?

Also, any must-see places in Japan? I enjoy historical landmarks in particular.

matt360

Hello GAF,

I'm staying in Japan for 6 days and would like to visit Hiroshima for the Miyajima shrine, the 5-story pagoda, and ryokan there. I've been eyeing Iwaso for a while, but the price is really steep. Has anyone ever stayed there? How's the experience?

Also, any must-see places in Japan? I enjoy historical landmarks in particular.

Anything on Miyajima is gonna be pricey. My wife's mom works at the Coral Hotel next to the ferry port on the mainland side. Those should be cheaper. It's not a ryokan though.

If you're dead-set on a ryokan on the island, I think Miyarikyuu might be the cheapest.

Thanks for the reply Mike. Definitely gonna get the jr pass. Do you think I'll need it more for the Kyoto/Osaka leg or for when I'm in tokyo?

Going to Osaka mainly for universal studios. What else is there to do in Osaka?

Do you like beer? Take a day trip out to Minoh to hike up to the falls and then visit the brewery back in town. They don't get a lot of foreign visitors, but are very friendly and they make killer craft beer. Wife and I had a blast.

Stuart444

So I've been wondering. Should I get a sick mask (or whatever they are called) when in Japan? I tend to get unexpected colds and such so seems like a good thing to think about.

So I've been wondering. Should I get a sick mask (or whatever they are called) when in Japan? I tend to get unexpected colds and such so seems like a good thing to think about.

From what I've heard they are mostly a placebo unless you are sneezing everywhere and want to reduce fluid flow. Also, I think it's considered weird if a gaijin is wearing one.

matt360

Do you like beer? Take a day trip out to Minoh to hike up to the falls and then visit the brewery back in town. They don't get a lot of foreign visitors, but are very friendly and they make killer craft beer. Wife and I had a blast.

I second this. Minoh is world class. Their stout and imperial stout have been voted best in the world on a few occasions. Their W-IPA is also fantastic. Basically you can't go wrong with them. As far as I know it's still the three sisters who run the place. They inherited the brewery from their father a while back, and who has since passed away. It's got an interesting history and the beer speaks for itself.

Anything on Miyajima is gonna be pricey. My wife's mom works at the Coral Hotel next to the ferry port on the mainland side. Those should be cheaper. It's not a ryokan though.

If you're dead-set on a ryokan on the island, I think Miyarikyuu might be the cheapest.

Thanks for the suggestion. The island's ryokan are definitely expensive, but it's something I wanted to experience, so I'll check out cheaper alternatives like the one you posted. :)

Also, I've found a lot of advice on sightseeing, but not much on food. I'll be visiting Hiroshima, Kyoto, and Tokyo, so if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. I'm interested in the usual Japanese stuff like sushi, ramen, okonomiyaki, but I'm open to everything!

dani_dc

NF929lw.png

Can't I just pay the Fare Fee and then stand the entire trip to avoid paying the seat fee? :p

We got a ryokan! It wasn't that cheap, but it was beautiful.

We went to Makoto. I think it was nice.

Glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward to staying at a ryokan too. Decided on Auberge-Watanabe, read good things about it. Was debating between that or Momiji-so, but my sister didn't like the photos of its rooms, so yeah. :p

matt360

Thanks for the suggestion. The island's ryokan are definitely expensive, but it's something I wanted to experience, so I'll check out cheaper alternatives like the one you posted. :)

Also, I've found a lot of advice on sightseeing, but not much on food. I'll be visiting Hiroshima, Kyoto, and Tokyo, so if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. I'm interested in the usual Japanese stuff like sushi, ramen, okonomiyaki, but I'm open to everything!

I think I've already posted these in this thread somewhere, but for Hiroshima, you've gotta try the following:

rdizRKz.jpg

Hiroshima okonomiyaki. Incredible stuff, but I see you've already mentioned it on your list. I like mine with tuna and cheese. You can get good okonomiyaki basically anywhere in the city except for okonomimura. Be careful of that place, it's a tourist trap.

XCbybu3.jpg

Gaba ramen. Hiroshima's take on Hakata style Tonkotsu. It's better than Ippudo, but not as good as Ichiran. But the side menu items are also fantastic. I recommend the moyashi chashuu or the mentaiko gohan.

pvbAXRW.jpg

If you go to Miyajima, you've gotta try the deep-fried Momiji Manjuu. The regular omiyage versions of these cakes are just so-so. Actually pretty bland to be honest. But the deep-fried custard cream version is heavenly. Also, be sure to try the oysters on Miyajima. Most of Japan's oysters come from the Setouchi Naikai (where Miyajima is located), so oysters are a big deal there.

SrJPxbL.jpg

Not Hiroshima specific, as you can find these all over Japan, but these little chocolate bars might be Japan's greatest gift to humanity. They've also got an ice cream version at certain 7-11s.

Hiroshima also has a pretty great Japanese microbrew bar called Rakubeer. They've got maybe 10 or so taps of nothing but various kinds of Japanese craft beer. The staff is knowledgeable and the selection is usually pretty great. It's also a low-key place for people who really like beer. There's also Golden Garden right around the corner. Fewer taps, but lots of bottles from all over the world. The owner, Fukumoto-san, probably knows more about beer than anyone in Japan.

Stuart444

I am a bit worried I won't like food in Japan because whenever I see pictures of food like those ones, others think they look good, I don't.

That said, I've pretty much promised myself that I'd try anything new (within reason at least) and if I like stuff, great. If not, there is still food I know I'll like (be it western-style food like burgers and stuff or Ramen or whatever.)

matt360

I am a bit worried I won't like food in Japan because whenever I see pictures of food like those ones, others think they look good, I don't.

That said, I've pretty much promised myself that I'd try anything new (within reason at least) and if I like stuff, great. If not, there is still food I know I'll like (be it western-style food like burgers and stuff or Ramen or whatever.)

Yeah, Okonomiyaki isn't the most visually appealing food in the world, but man it's amazing.

Don't worry though, Japan has enough variety to cater to everyone's tastes.

dani_dc

You'll find something you like, at worst you always have Gyudon, which is literally meat on top of rice!

Anyway I basically just ate simple stuff back home, I came here and I started trying things and they're quite nice, in particular I didn't expect to enjoy Sushi, but I did!

I won't lie, Japanese cuisine hasn't made me feel in love (not when I'm eating it for 6 months), but if you're just here for a short period of time then there's plenty of good stuff to try and eat.

Didn't care for Okonomiyaki though, maybe I'll give it another go.

Stuart444

Sushi is one thing I plan on trying. Don't like the idea of raw fish but I promised I'd try anything providing I know I'm not allergic to it or anything.

Oh well, missed out on the tickets to Babymetal :( Kinda bummed as was excited to see them live.

On the plus side just over 3 weeks to go, getting really mega excited ^_^

inafking

Now I'm preparing to move to Nagoya after checking out tomorrow at 11:00 AM at Sakura Hotel Jimbocho.

The hotel I'm staying at Nagoya is Sun Hotel Nagoya via Shirakawa, about 5 minutes from Fushimi Station.

I'll be 6 days in Naogya, then 13 days in Osaka, 11 days in Kyoto and then I'll go back to Tokyo to stay there until October 16.

The most expensive hotel was the Nagoya one where I spent about 75 USD for a twin room (2 beds) with a private bathroom/shower. I'm travelling with my nephew (who's 26 years old).

Did many stuff, like going to a Hatsune Miku concert (Magical Mirai 2015, Friday performance), Robot Restaurant (yeah Mike, my nephew convinced me to go so I'll have to go twice since I've already paid the tickets for October), Kamakura Budha, Yokohama Marinos vs Urawa Red Diamonds soccer match, Yokohama Chinatown, Maid Cafe (home cafe I think it was called), Tokyo/One Piece Tower, J-world, Lock-up restaurant, Odaiba Gundam, Kappabashi, Meiji Jingu, Shinjuku Gyoen and many more stuff I don't remember right now.

In Nagoya we're planning to do the Toyota Tour, visit the SCMaglev/bullet train museum, Sakae, Nagoya castle, a japanese currency museum and another stuff I don't remember at the moment.

In Osaka from what I can remember we're gonna visit Den Den Town, Dotombori, Umeda Building, Osaka Station City, Abeno Harukas, Shinsekai, a Baseball game (yakyuu) in Kyocera dome, a trip to Shirahama in Wakayama prefecture. There's more stuff I can't remember at the moment of course

In kyoto we're visiting many shrines, the monkey park, Gion, etc.

I hope everyone who's visiting Japan right now can have a great time and those who're planning to visit the country have a safe trip and can start enjoying.

Chibi miku hugs for everyone!
Greets!

dani_dc

Now I'm preparing to move to Nagoya after checking out tomorrow at 11:00 AM at Sakura Hotel Jimbocho.

The hotel I'm staying at Nagoya is Sun Hotel Nagoya via Shirakawa, about 5 minutes from Fushimi Station.

I'll be 6 days in Naogya, then 13 days in Osaka, 11 days in Kyoto and then I'll go back to Tokyo to stay there until October 16.

The most expensive hotel was the Nagoya one where I spent about 75 USD for a twin room (2 beds) with a private bathroom/shower. I'm travelling with my nephew (who's 26 years old).

Did many stuff, like going to a Hatsune Miku concert (Magical Mirai 2015, Friday performance)

Jealous!
I didn't expect to be here at this time of the year so I didn't even attempt to buy tickets.
Did went to check the exposition today though, nearly overlooked it.

You're pretty close to me actually, since I work in Jimbocho!
Raining like crazy today though.

Sushi is one thing I plan on trying. Don't like the idea of raw fish but I promised I'd try anything providing I know I'm not allergic to it or anything.

I thought I wouldn't like Sushi but turns out I really like [some of] it!
I even prefer the raw Tuna/Salmon to the (semi?) cooked versions.

Zoe

What kind of stuff do you like?

Stuart444

What kind of stuff do you like?

Too wide of a question for me :p Some meats/steaks/etc I guess? lol.

I love rice and Curry so at least there's that at least.

edit: I should also practice using chopsticks at some point. Not all places offer Fork/Knifes from what I hear.

Too wide of a question for me :p Some meats/steaks/etc I guess? lol.

I love rice and Curry so at least there's that at least.

edit: I should also practice using chopsticks at some point. Not all places offer Fork/Knifes from what I hear.

I'm rather fussy with food, so last time I went I had almost entirely curry and KFC/McD. It was really boring. Next time I'll try more stuff. I know I love yakiniku so that's always an option (recommended, by the way!), but anything that has proper meat and not random stuff off the seafloor should be fine :).

matt360

You'll find something you like, at worst you always have Gyudon, which is literally meat on top of rice!

Anyway I basically just ate simple stuff back home, I came here and I started trying things and they're quite nice, in particular I didn't expect to enjoy Sushi, but I did!

I won't lie, Japanese cuisine hasn't made me feel in love (not when I'm eating it for 6 months), but if you're just here for a short period of time then there's plenty of good stuff to try and eat.

Didn't care for Okonomiyaki though, maybe I'll give it another go.

Osaka or Hiroshima?

I'm rather fussy with food, so last time I went I had almost entirely curry and KFC/McD. It was really boring. Next time I'll try more stuff. I know I love yakiniku so that's always an option (recommended, by the way!), but anything that has proper meat and not random stuff off the seafloor should be fine :).

That's kinda sad. I had a friend visit who was a fussy eater, and all he'd eat was KFC, McDonalds, and Mister Donuts. Tried to get him to eat some yakisoba and he spent the entire meal picking the cabbage out of the noodles.

Personally, I didn't care for most veggies before I came to Japan, but now I love them. Japan's done a lot to help me become a better eater.

I think I've already posted these in this thread somewhere, but for Hiroshima, you've gotta try the following:

Oh gosh, thanks so much for the suggestions! I haven't seen most of them before, so I'll definitely keep these in mind. I'll also be in Tokyo (probably Shinjuku for the most part) so please keep the suggestions coming. ^-^

matt360

Oh, I didn't notice that part, it was somewhere in Tokyo.

If you had it in Tokyo then it was probably Osaka style. Was it like a pancake batter all mixed up that was just poured onto a hot plate?

Hiroshima style is vastly superior. That's not to say Osaka style isn't good, but they're in such a different league that it's not really fair to compare.

dani_dc

If you had it in Tokyo then it was probably Osaka style. Was it like a pancake batter all mixed up that was just poured onto a hot plate?

Hiroshima style is vastly superior. That's not to say Osaka style isn't good, but they're in such a different league that it's not really fair to compare.

Yeah, that's exactly how it was served, so I suppose it was Osaka style.
It just tasted extremely plain, and I recall others that were with me thinking the same (we order different ones).

I'll try to check out the Hiroshima one if I have the chance then.

Stuart444

So still looking at accommodation stuff.

Just wondering, does it matter what area of Tokyo we stay at? Since It's generally pretty easy to get around Tokyo by train.

What about Kyoto/Osaka? I know less about the areas in Kyoto than I do those in Tokyo.

What about Kyoto/Osaka? I know less about the areas in Kyoto than I do those in Tokyo.

For Kyoto look at this map:
http://inst.uno.edu/japan/docs/bus_navi_en.pdf

You'll want to stay close to one of the bus stops with lots of different buses in central Kyoto there. Stay away from the non-flat rate areas at the edges of the map as well (the ones marked with a square symbol instead of a circle)

In Osaka it's probably best to stay near one of the JR Osaka loop line stations if you got a JR Pass .

The Hotel itself looks ok, but it's far from Osaki station (The closest station with Yamanote line), around 40 minutes on foot or even public transportation, even the closest station is some 10 minutes away (has the Keikyu Line).

That's not true. The closest station is Shinagawa Seaside on the Rinkai Line right next to the hotel. It's 2 stops away from JR Osaki Station.

Rinkai is not operated by JR and it's not a subway either though, so you'll need to pay extra if you got some kind of pass.

Stuart444

The Hotel itself looks ok, but it's far from Osaki station (The closest station with Yamanote line), around 40 minutes on foot or even public transportation, even the closest station is some 10 minutes away (has the Keikyu Line).

x.x trying to find a reasonably priced hotel near public transport is hard. Especially since many of the cheaper rooms seem to be stupid semi-doubles.

That's not true. The closest station is Shinagawa Seaside on the Rinkai Line right next to the hotel. It's 2 stops away from JR Osaki Station.

Rinkai is not operated by JR and it's not a subway either though, so you'll need to pay extra if you got some kind of pass.

Huh...

Well, I only planned on getting a JR Pass for the Kyoto segment of the trip so assuming the Suica card works (?), that'd be okay I guess.

Still looking around though. It's annoying when on sites like expedia, it mentions that there is only X number of rooms left, especially if the price is good.

Huh...

Well, I only planned on getting a JR Pass for the Kyoto segment of the trip so assuming the Suica card works (?), that'd be okay I guess.

Yes. The suica card will work fine. A lot of the trains on the Rinkai line also share trains with the JR Saikyō Line, so if you're going to places on the western side (Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, etc) of the Yamanote loop line, then you could usually just take 1 train without changing at Osaki.

Stuart444

Yes. The suica card will work fine. A lot of the trains on the Rinkai line also share trains with the JR Saikyō Line, so if you're going to places on the western side (Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, etc) of the Yamanote loop line, then you could usually just take 1 train without changing.

Huh, ty for the info.

also looking at this place:

http://www.granbellhotel.jp/en/shinjuku/access/

Close to Shinjuku station as well.

Decisions decisions.

dani_dc

Oh, I somehow missed that while looking at the map, my bad!

Stuart444

edit: Ok so I went with the Hotel Villa Fontaine Tamachi:

http://www.hvf.jp/eng/mita.php

Booked through expedia, a little more expensive than I planned but not by too much so we'll see if I can make it up later on.

Booking the final parts (Kyoto/Osaka and back to Tokyo) at the end of the month hopefully.

Can't help but feel nervous when trying to figure out good places to stay and such :/

edit 2: Ok so I didn't want to but I booked my Osaka hotel already since it seems like a lot of the cheaper places seemed to be booked already (ie places I saw last month in Kyoto area). Probably due to the season it is. (April and all)

http://www.u-community.co.jp/english/access/index.html

Only downside is I need to use the subway/train to get to the JR lines. Reviews seem good though. Semi-double bed though but for the price, I can't complain too much.

A few additional questions then:

1. Do Suica card works in Kyoto/Osaka areas as well?

2. Staying in Osaka from the 3rd til the 9th of April, if I put it down to activate the JR pass on the 3rd, it should be fine to get us back to Tokyo on the 9th yeah?

3. If so, because it will be a 7 day one, should it also work on the 10th? Aka a free day of using it in Tokyo.

1. Do Suica card works in Kyoto/Osaka areas as well?

2. Staying in Osaka from the 3rd til the 9th of April, if I put it down to activate the JR pass on the 3rd, it should be fine to get us back to Tokyo on the 9th yeah?

3. If so, because it will be a 7 day one, should it also work on the 10th? Aka a free day of using it in Tokyo.

1. Yes, all transport in Osaka and most in Kyoto, but in Kyoto, you should get bus passes instead. They cost 500 JPY for a 1 day buss pass. A single bus trip costs 230 JPY, so if you take the bus more than 2 times each day, then the buss pass is cheaper:
https://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html#cvcrd

This covers most of the interesting sites in Kyoto.

2. Yes, this should be fine.

3. No. It's valid 7 days from 00:00 till 23:59:59, not 168 hours.

Stuart444

1. Yes, all transport in Osaka and most in Kyoto, but in Kyoto, you should get bus passes instead. They cost 500 JPY for a 1 day buss pass. A single bus trip costs 230 JPY, so if you take the bus more than 2 times each day, then the buss pass is cheaper:
https://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html#cvcrd

This covers most of the interesting sites in Kyoto.

2. Yes, this should be fine.

3. No. It's valid 7 days from 00:00 till 23:59:59, not 168 hours.

Thanks for the link.

At least I can get back to Tokyo in the allotted JR time :D

You're so helpful Mike :)

ilbambino

I'm currently in kyoto with my GF, and we need to get this medicine (ホスミシン500mg, F-08, FOSMICIN500mg), i have been to several drugstores and have gotten a no as a reply. I don't speak Japanese, so I would like to know if I need a prescription for that drug or if anybody knows of a place where I can get it. Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I'm currently in kyoto with my GF, and we need to get this medicine (ホスミシン500mg, F-08, FOSMICIN500mg), i have been to several drugstores and have gotten a no as a reply. I don't speak Japanese, so I would like to know if I need a prescription for that drug or if anybody knows of a place where I can get it. Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Yes, you need prescription for that medicine.

Go to a english speaking doctor, pay the bill and ask for the prescription.

JJN

Hey all,

Going to Osaka/Kyoto Oct 9 - 16. I was wondering how bike-able these cities are? I've heard there are no dedicated bike lanes, but they are relatively flat cities so biking is nice. Any onsens that you've experienced and can recommend in the area?

Also, we are planning to visit a friend in Hiroshima for a day-trip by bullet-train.. we're willing to bite the bullet on paying for the day-trip since it'd be a real shame to visit Japan and not see a good friend. Any must-see things we could fit into a day? The friend will likely take us to see some good stuff since she's local, but what are some specific can't-miss things?

Question about cloths guys, so after my time in Japan, I'm travelling to Singapore and then Bali, both really hot places. So I was planning on packing mainly long shorts that would/should work for if things get cooler.

How cold does it get in the beginning of October in Japan, I had a look at this

http://www.accuweather.com/en/jp/tokyo/226396/october-weather/226396?monyr=10/1/2015

and its saying mid 20's is what I'm looking at while over there which works with what I'm bringing, does this match up to what others have experienced or am I going to be freezing my arse off.

Also, we are planning to visit a friend in Hiroshima for a day-trip by bullet-train.. we're willing to bite the bullet on paying for the day-trip since it'd be a real shame to visit Japan and not see a good friend. Any must-see things we could fit into a day? The friend will likely take us to see some good stuff since she's local, but what are some specific can't-miss things?

You should check out Miyajima Island and Peace Memorial Park.

Nocebo

Hey all,

Going to Osaka/Kyoto Oct 9 - 16. I was wondering how bike-able these cities are? I've heard there are no dedicated bike lanes, but they are relatively flat cities so biking is nice. Any onsens that you've experienced and can recommend in the area?

I rented a bike the last time I was in Kyoto. I'm not sure relative to what Kyoto is flat, though. But we didn't have any problems with going to most places I suppose. There are some bikelanes on the very wide sidewalks but they're not everywhere of course. Overall the experience was pretty good. We biked from the bike rental place to the Gold Temple and the Water temple and stuff. Those places were easily reachable by bike, as in distance and accessibility.

Question about cloths guys, so after my time in Japan, I'm travelling to Singapore and then Bali, both really hot places. So I was planning on packing mainly long shorts that would/should work for if things get cooler.

How cold does it get in the beginning of October in Japan, I had a look at this

http://www.accuweather.com/en/jp/tokyo/226396/october-weather/226396?monyr=10/1/2015

and its saying mid 20's is what I'm looking at while over there which works with what I'm bringing, does this match up to what others have experienced or am I going to be freezing my arse off.

Look at the low as well though, it could be a bit chillier (down to 15 or so) if you stay out at night :p

Top Bottom