• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

inafking

Currently in Toronto in transit to Tokyo. Plane departs in 3 and a half hours.

So you say the Golden Gai is a reliable place? Do you know any other respectable place in Kabukicho where to eat some Yakitori or oden? I'm not in the mood to go to hostess clubs.

It would probably be fun to check out some of those places, but also a bit scary when you hear those type of stories. Maybe it was a good thing we're not staying in Shinjuku itself anyway.

Currently in Toronto in transit to Tokyo. Plane departs in 3 and a half hours.

So you say the Golden Gai is a reliable place? Do you know any other respectable place in Kabukicho where to eat some Yakitori or oden? I'm not in the mood to go to hostess clubs.

I'll be going to Tokyo from Toronto as well. Hope your trip is pleasant! How's their airport?

inafking

I'll be going to Tokyo from Toronto as well. Hope your trip is pleasant! How's their airport?
Pretty neat, they have tables with Ipads connected to Internet. They're fixed to the table though. I'm in transit at Pearson airport.
I've WiFi as well, you just have to connect to the Pearson network and press " no, thank you" to not get charged $

PS: It's a fuss to post on my cellphone/handheld console (android)

Pretty neat, they have tables with Ipads connected to Internet. They're fixed to the table though. I'm in transit at Pearson airport.
I've WiFi as well, you just have to connect to the Pearson network and press " no, thank you" to not get charged $

PS: It's a fuss to post on my cellphone/handheld console (android)

Wait, you're going from Chile to Toronto to Tokyo? That must be a ridiculous amount of flying.

And if you're doing that I assume you're on Air Canada, you should let me know if that flight has Wi-Fi or not.

Edit - I'm guessing the flight doesn't have Wi-Fi or else you'd be posting right now.

So is the robot restaurant worth it? Can I book it now or does it have to be the same day I'm going to visit?

You can book now. We've booked from Veltra:
http://www.veltra.com/en/asia/japan/tokyo/a/109436

i saw that there's a few people with overlapping dates as me (i'm going oct 7-14)
is there any interest in getting together doing a tour of mt fuji?

Not sure about Mt. Fuji, but you could join our Robot Restaurant meetup if you want to:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171744584&postcount=4905

Crayolan

Hey Japan(Travel)GAF, in a little over a week I'll be heading to Japan for university studies and I'll be staying in Tokyo for almost year.

I have zero travel experience (this'll be my first time leaving the US), so I was wondering if you guys had any tips on things I should bring which I might not of thought of or things I should do as soon as I arrive or anything else I should know which might make the transition a little smoother. I'm not completely clueless since I've been studying Japanese language/culture for years in school but I'm definitely not an expert so anything will help.

Hope I posted this in the right thread; wasn't sure if it fit this one or the living in japan thread better.

Danneee

I'm going to Tokyo with a friend in about a month and we thought about going to a sumo wrestling practice. Anyone here know how that works, where to go and so on?

KillGore

Okay, so has anyone used google maps as a way to use the train system in Japan? I have a few examples here I would like you guys to help me with, if possible.

I'm guessing that everything that has the JR symbol means that it's covered by the JR pass right?

ibjzKBaEqmq8u0.png

The letter with the colored circle means it's a subway train that's owned by a different company (I think it was Tokyo Metro?) that the JR Pass does not cover. Meaning I have to pay an additional fee.

iwG59HhvetW0f.png

The ones I don't understand are these ones

iu8eVOZdVul19.png

and

iEdEDTMKEOaBu.png

Are the last two the same principle? Different companies other than JR and Tokyo Metro? or are they like special/different trains? Thanks guys

Stuart444

Okay, so has anyone used google maps as a way to use the train system in Japan? I have a few examples here I would like you guys to help me with, if possible.

I'm guessing that everything that has the JR symbol means that it's covered by the JR pass right?

ibjzKBaEqmq8u0.png

The letter with the colored circle means it's a subway train that's owned by a different company (I think it was Tokyo Metro?) that the JR Pass does not cover. Meaning I have to pay an additional fee.

iwG59HhvetW0f.png

The ones I don't understand are these ones

iu8eVOZdVul19.png

and

iEdEDTMKEOaBu.png

Are the last two the same principle? Different companies other than JR and Tokyo Metro? or are they like special/different trains? Thanks guys

I can't answer your question but in terms of using/figuring out what trains you need, try Hyperdia.com if you haven't tried it before.

also minus links don't work here (on the main site, they might on the mobile one? I don't know). So I rehosted them for ya on imgur:

first two:

second two:

Almost all with the JR symbol are covered by the JR Pass. There are a few exceptions, but you're unlikely to get on those ones on your normal tourist travel.

The circle with the letter in it is different subway lines. Some run by Tokyo Metro and some by Toei. You'll need to pay on those.

The rinkai line is run by another train company that's not JR and you'll need to pay on that one too.

The shinkansen is run by JR and you can use the JR Pass.

KillGore

I can't answer your question but in terms of using/figuring out what trains you need, try Hyperdia.com if you haven't tried it before.

also minus links don't work here (on the main site, they might on the mobile one? I don't know). So I rehosted them for ya on imgur:

first two:

second two:

Thank you!

Almost all with the JR symbol are covered by the JR Pass. There are a few exceptions, but you're unlikely to get on those ones on your normal tourist travel.

The circle with the letter in it is different subway lines. Some run by Tokyo Metro and some by Toei. You'll need to pay on those.

The rinkai line is run by another train company that's not JR and you'll need to pay on that one too.

The shinkansen is run by JR and you can use the JR Pass.

and thank you!

Zatoth

I am thinking of going to Japan over New Year. Specifically 23rd of December - 8th of January.

Is there anything to consider with the Holiday season? Shops closed, public transport not fully available? Stuff like that?

dani_dc

Ok so I'll be visiting a friend in Itawe in the coming weeks.
I'll be going from Tokyo to Morioka to be specific.

Despite being here in Japan for awhile I'm pretty clueless on this topics since I haven't had the chance to travel around.

Shinkansen is way too expensive, so I was considering between a night bus or regular trains.

Any good sites to check for cheap bus tickets?

How about a potential trip by train, should I just check hyperdia?

My friend found a place for under 4000 yen at night which sounds pretty decent, though any recommendations for sites to find cheap places to sleep or discounts would be welcomed!

Hey y'all,

My girlfriend and I will be staying near Meidaimae Station in Tokyo for the next three months, and I'm wondering: to which neighborhood does this station belong? I'm trying to get a feel for what shops/cafes/restaurants are worth checking out in the area.

edit: Looks like Setagaya, but that's huge. I"m wondering about stuff closer to the station itself.

Stuart444

Hey y'all,

My girlfriend and I will be staying near Meidaimae Station in Tokyo for the next three months, and I'm wondering: to which neighborhood does this station belong? I'm trying to get a feel for what shops/cafes/restaurants are worth checking out in the area.

edit: Looks like Setagaya, but that's huge. I"m wondering about stuff closer to the station itself.

https://goo.gl/maps/0LWUX

This looks to be near the station? Might as well use the street view to look around.

Cagey

Banned
Hey all, booked a trip from November for a nice two part stay in Seoul and Tokyo and got some great tips last time I popped in for Tokyo.

We've initially booked (cancel any time) a hotel in the Shinigawa Ward, Tokyo Prefecture with a train stop right next door to the hotel. Google Maps says it's about 18-20 minutes train time to Akihibara, for some context. It was the best hotel with a legitimate fitness center we could find that wasn't prohibitively expensive.

For transportation purposes, is this really far out from city center, or is it like staying in the Upper West Side of Manhattan and wanting to visit Wall Street (as an example)?

I am thinking of going to Japan over New Year. Specifically 23rd of December - 8th of January.

Is there anything to consider with the Holiday season? Shops closed, public transport not fully available? Stuff like that?

January 1st a lot of shops and restaurants closes at least. And various museums are also closed several days in the New Years. Public transport should still be running though. See more details here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html

Despite being here in Japan for awhile I'm pretty clueless on this topics since I haven't had the chance to travel around.

Shinkansen is way too expensive, so I was considering between a night bus or regular trains.

My friend found a place for under 4000 yen at night which sounds pretty decent, though any recommendations for sites to find cheap places to sleep or discounts would be welcomed!

Well, looks like a train trip will take longer than taking a bus and you'd need to transfer half a dozen times, so it's probably better to just take the bus :p

Buses:
http://www.jrbustohoku.co.jp/
http://5931bus.com/
http://willerexpress.com/en/

Hey all, booked a trip from November for a nice two part stay in Seoul and Tokyo and got some great tips last time I popped in for Tokyo.

We've initially booked (cancel any time) a hotel in the Shinigawa Ward, Tokyo Prefecture with a train stop right next door to the hotel. Google Maps says it's about 18-20 minutes train time to Akihibara, for some context. It was the best hotel with a legitimate fitness center we could find that wasn't prohibitively expensive.

For transportation purposes, is this really far out from city center, or is it like staying in the Upper West Side of Manhattan and wanting to visit Wall Street (as an example)?

Shinagawa is in central Tokyo. No worries.

Cagey

Banned
Shinagawa is in central Tokyo. No worries.

Oh jeez. I thought Shinagawa was more centrally located but the reviews for the hotel kept emphasizing "its not as far as it seems!". I guess people were concerned about not being exactly on top of the spots they wanted to visit!

Thanks.

Oh jeez. I thought Shinagawa was more centrally located but the reviews for the hotel kept emphasizing "its not as far as it seems!". I guess people were concerned about not being exactly on top of the spots they wanted to visit!

Thanks.

Well, it all depends on what you're going to do of course, but it shouldn't take more than 40 minutes to get to almost all tourist locations in Tokyo itself. Which train station is it near? If it's close to JR Shinagawa, then it should be even faster.

Cagey

Banned
Well, it all depends on what you're going to do of course, but it shouldn't take more than 40 minutes to get to almost all tourist locations in Tokyo itself. Which train station is it near? If it's close to JR Shinagawa, then it should be even faster.
A block from JR Osaki.

dani_dc

So to answer a few of my own questions, seems like via train there's only Shnkansen, so bus it is.

Regarding Hotels, I went to check Japanican and they seem to have a few promotions as well as a 50% off coupon for hotels in Itawe, does anyone if this type of deals usually stack? Any sites to check?

Well, looks like a train trip will take longer than taking a bus and you'd need to transfer half a dozen times, so it's probably better to just take the bus :p

Buses:
http://www.jrbustohoku.co.jp/
http://5931bus.com/
http://willerexpress.com/en/

Thanks, I'll check them.

Thanks.

Yeah, Tokyo is huge so "central" will depend of what you want to see, but as Mike said, you can easily get anywhere from there very easily.

dani_dc

Planning a trip to Iwate is a lot harder than I anticipated x_X

There are only night buses available, and it seems like they all get to Morioka at 5 am, which would essentially mean I wouldn't sleep that night and wouldn't even have a place to stay until later in the day.

I can understand less popular places having less offer, but they should at least have more deals >.<

Wish they had some kind of Shinkansen discount to Itawe!
Cause at this point I'm pretty sure that's how I'll travel!

Also, thank you for this very useful suggestion Hyperdia!
zrQ3iZY.png

dani_dc

What's my best option for navigating Tokyo? It just (stupidly) occurred to me that I won't have service while I'm there.

You'll want to use trains and subway.

But get a data card or a WiFi max so you have service.

Getting around Tokyo without internet is extremely confusing if you haven't been there before. There are dozens of lines and some stations don't even have english in the maps.

dani_dc

Ok, I settled for going Wednesday night via Shinkansen, I'll be at Iwate before 10pm and I'll sleep three nights there.

Seems like a waste to go visit a friend but waste an entire day because I didn't manage to get any sleep due to Night Bus getting to the destination at 5 am.
I'd be saving money but at the same time it'd be a waste of money to screw up an entire day. So I'll just pay more and make sure I take full advantage of the trip there.

Thanks for the help!

This will be my first "vacations" outside of Tokyo :)

K444WSR

Hi guys. My wife just sprung a surprise on me. She wants to take me to Japan for my 30th in October. She's known its always been my dream to go and thought this is the perfect time (love my wife).

Anyways, we've been thinking of going for between 10-12 days with a 20 hour stopover in Istanbul (we're in london).

Trying to work out an itinerary of what to do and quite overwhelmed to be honest.
We'll be flying into narita and spend about 3 days in tokyo. We're thinking of going Kyoto for 3 days and Osaka for 2 days before coming back to tokyo for 2 more days. We definitely want to visit the theme parks, mt fuji and also experience staying in a ryoken for one night but not sure where to do this. Tokyo or kyoto?

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated as well as any must dos. We're quite flexible with our itinerary and can make adjustments.
Also any halal restaurants if anyone knows any. If not we'll have to do a non meat holiday which is fine. Thanks in advance guys
arrigato

Trying to work out an itinerary of what to do and quite overwhelmed to be honest.
We'll be flying into narita and spend about 3 days in tokyo. We're thinking of going Kyoto for 3 days and Osaka for 2 days before coming back to tokyo for 2 more days. We definitely want to visit the theme parks, mt fuji and also experience staying in a ryoken for one night but not sure where to do this. Tokyo or kyoto?

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated as well as any must dos. We're quite flexible with our itinerary and can make adjustments.
Also any halal restaurants if anyone knows any. If not we'll have to do a non meat holiday which is fine. Thanks in advance guys
arrigato

You should get 7 days JR Passes at least, for your Kyoto/Osaka stay.

And you could try booking a ryokan near Mt Fuji. Check with http://www.japanican.com/en/ and other booking sites.

For food, you should check out this site:
https://www.halalgourmet.jp/

K444WSR

You should get 7 days JR Passes at least, for your Kyoto/Osaka stay.

And you could try booking a ryokan near Mt Fuji. Check with http://www.japanican.com/en/ and other booking sites.

For food, you should check out this site:
https://www.halalgourmet.jp/

Thanks for the reply Mike. Definitely gonna get the jr pass. Do you think I'll need it more for the Kyoto/Osaka leg or for when I'm in tokyo?

Going to Osaka mainly for universal studios. What else is there to do in Osaka?

Thanks for the reply Mike. Definitely gonna get the jr pass. Do you think I'll need it more for the Kyoto/Osaka leg or for when I'm in tokyo?

Going to Osaka mainly for universal studios. What else is there to do in Osaka?

A JR Pass is a waste of money for Tokyo only . It's mostly for taking the shinkansen train between Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka where you get the value. It's also useful for the JR trains while you're in Osaka and possibly for the trip to Mt. Fuji if you decide to go there. Any time left over on those 7 days you can use for the Tokyo part of the trip of course.

Maube check out the Osaka aquarium? There's also the Osaka Castle, but it's all modern, so it might be a better idea to take a few hours and go to Himeji castle instead. You can use the JR Pass to go to Himeji from Osaka.

And there's Dotonbori in Osaka where you can see that big Glico Running Man sign and check out the various shopping, entertainment and food placrs. There's also Nipponbashi if you're interested in anime and gaming goods.

ccbfan

My wife and I are going to be in Tokyo Nov 8 to Nov 10.

Whats a good neighborhood to be in if your main interest is food?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Have you been? I heard they don't even have that much from the U.S. menu. Can you confirm or deny?

No idea,

I passed by a few times, but if i go for me will be the first time there.

So i can't compare with US menu.

Top Bottom