• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Look at the low as well though, it could be a bit chillier (down to 15 or so) if you stay out at night :p

I'll just try to tire myself out so I'm asleep early :p

That said am planning on having 1 or 2 pairs of long pants in case things get cold, hoping 3/4 length shorts will be enough all other times.

matt360

Hey all,

Going to Osaka/Kyoto Oct 9 - 16. I was wondering how bike-able these cities are? I've heard there are no dedicated bike lanes, but they are relatively flat cities so biking is nice. Any onsens that you've experienced and can recommend in the area?

Also, we are planning to visit a friend in Hiroshima for a day-trip by bullet-train.. we're willing to bite the bullet on paying for the day-trip since it'd be a real shame to visit Japan and not see a good friend. Any must-see things we could fit into a day? The friend will likely take us to see some good stuff since she's local, but what are some specific can't-miss things?

As Mike said, Peace Park and Miyajima. If you get an early enough start, you'll be able to hit both. If you're pressed for time, there's actually a boat that'll take you to Miyajima from the Peace Park. That way you can avoid the streetcars and JR, which are inconvenient if you're trying to get to Miyajima from downtown.

Or better yet, take the Shinkansen into Hiroshima Station. Transfer to a JR line and go straight to Miyajima. Spend 2-3 hours on Miyajima, then take a boat directly to the Peace Park. After you do the Peace Park, walk up Hondori, do some shopping, get some grub, then you're just a short bus/streetcar ride away from Hiroshima Station again.

JJN

I rented a bike the last time I was in Kyoto. I'm not sure relative to what Kyoto is flat, though. But we didn't have any problems with going to most places I suppose. There are some bikelanes on the very wide sidewalks but they're not everywhere of course. Overall the experience was pretty good. We biked from the bike rental place to the Gold Temple and the Water temple and stuff. Those places were easily reachable by bike, as in distance and accessibility.

I guess relative to Toronto as the friend giving me this info lives here as well.

Sounds like it was enjoyable i.e. you had a fun time. I'm looking to have a relaxing time cycling and at the same time explore a bit.. If it's hard to maneuver on a bike then if rather just take the bus or something

Anyone know any good record stores in Tokyo? So far, I just know of Disk Union. Obviously, Book Off is another good choice for CDs as well. Looking for something more likely to carry underground stuff than, say, Tower Records.

JJN

As Mike said, Peace Park and Miyajima. If you get an early enough start, you'll be able to hit both. If you're pressed for time, there's actually a boat that'll take you to Miyajima from the Peace Park. That way you can avoid the streetcars and JR, which are inconvenient if you're trying to get to Miyajima from downtown.

Or better yet, take the Shinkansen into Hiroshima Station. Transfer to a JR line and go straight to Miyajima. Spend 2-3 hours on Miyajima, then take a boat directly to the Peace Park. After you do the Peace Park, walk up Hondori, do some shopping, get some grub, then you're just a short bus/streetcar ride away from Hiroshima Station again.

So these are both doable in a day eh? We are going to Miyajima for sure, and I wanted to see the museum but the others might not want to go. The plan for now is to get there around 10am and leave at around 9 so we'd get to have dinner and lunch - two chances for local cuisine. Time is tight for sure but I'm looking forward to this

One other question, is the sanyo shinkansen just the name for the line on the west side? The kansai Hiroshima pass I want to get says it's valid on the sanyo, so I'm hoping that means I can take whatever is the earliest train on the line going west.

So these are both doable in a day eh? We are going to Miyajima for sure, and I wanted to see the museum but the others might not want to go. The plan for now is to get there around 10am and leave at around 9 so we'd get to have dinner and lunch - two chances for local cuisine. Time is tight for sure but I'm looking forward to this

One other question, is the sanyo shinkansen just the name for the line on the west side? The kansai Hiroshima pass I want to get says it's valid on the sanyo, so I'm hoping that means I can take whatever is the earliest train on the line going west.

Managed to do Miyajima, Peace Memorial Park/Museum and Himeji castle in one day myself, so it's definitely doable.

The Kansai Hiroshima pass covers the Sanyo shinkansen between Shin-Osaka and Hiroshima. It does not cover the Sanyo beyond Hiroshima or the Tokaido shinkansen between Shin-Osaka and Tokyo. That means that if you're staying in Kyoto it's not valid between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka.

Would it be possible for me, an American, to extend (or, "reset") my tourist visa? My girlfriend and I will be staying there for the 90-day limit, but our jobs are such that we don't *have* to come back that soon if we don't want to. Would traveling a bit outside of Japan for a week or two suffice to reset the count?

I think I had a friend who would do that when her teaching visa needed to be renewed. That's obviously a very different situation. I'm not sure about a tourist visa but I imagine it might be difficult to find a place to live. Also, from what I've heard, Canada has an agreement with Japan to allow for the sort of situation you're proposing but not the US,

daegan

Really quick q - we're finally about to start booking accommodations, starting with a airbnb in Kyoto. I've never traveled internationally; will customs/immigration want to know where we are staying in every city we travel to? I only ask because I know airbnb is typically not legal, so I wonder what we should tell them about that stop on our trip. Thanks everyone :)

Question guys, what's the etiquette in regards to taking photos and videos at various places? I want to get a lot of photos and also do a kind of Video Journal of my trip, I know some places out right don't let you use cameras (Ghibli Museum) and I'm pretty sure alot of gaming stores are not happy if you do (like Super Potato). But I should be fine for the most part as long as I pay attention to signs and what not right?

sfedai0

Banned
Does anyone have any experience with renting out storage lockers in Tokyo? Are they located in all stations? How big are they and how does one purchase access?

That's not true. The closest station is Shinagawa Seaside on the Rinkai Line right next to the hotel. It's 2 stops away from JR Osaki Station.

Rinkai is not operated by JR and it's not a subway either though, so you'll need to pay extra if you got some kind of pass.

Rinkai is a subway. Just not operated by Tokyo Metro. It's also reeeeally deep, making it pretty annoying to transfer to JR trains on a regular basis. Also, that's not a very fun area to stay in. Mostly just office buildings. So I'm glad that guy didn't pick that hotel.

Question guys, what's the etiquette in regards to taking photos and videos at various places? I want to get a lot of photos and also do a kind of Video Journal of my trip, I know some places out right don't let you use cameras (Ghibli Museum) and I'm pretty sure alot of gaming stores are not happy if you do (like Super Potato). But I should be fine for the most part as long as I pay attention to signs and what not right?

It's best to ask I guess. In the Ghibli Museum you can take pics and videos in the outside areas (the roof with the Castle in the Sky statue, the water well in the middle of the museum and near the cafe), and I've taken pics and videos inside Super Potato (but that was 2 years ago though).

In some stores you'll might not notice the no camera allowed sign since there's lots of other signs that catches your eye faster, so it's better to ask. :p

Does anyone have any experience with renting out storage lockers in Tokyo? Are they located in all stations? How big are they and how does one purchase access?

Check out the coin lockers info on this page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html

Not all stations got them, but all of the big JR ones I've been to in Tokyo had them at least. Note that the large ones sometimes could all be in use though. Had to hunt around a station for 5 minutes for one once, and only got one because I saw somebody who was picking up their own luggage and I waited near them to put my luggage in the locker they left.

Rinkai is a subway. Just not operated by Tokyo Metro. It's also reeeeally deep, making it pretty annoying to transfer to JR trains on a regular basis. Also, that's not a very fun area to stay in. Mostly just office buildings. So I'm glad that guy didn't pick that hotel.

Not a subway in the sense that a Tokyo Tour Ticket, Tokyo Subway Ticket or Common One-day Ticket for Tokyo Metro & Toei Subway discount tickets won't work.

Stuart444

Still probably better than the London subway system. Last year when I went to London... it was hell. ;_;

Also yeah I only considered it because of price + it's next to the river and stuff. :) If I didn't find the Tamachi place, I may have gone for that instead.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
So I'm heading to Japan for the TGS (mostly a pretext, I don't expect anything much for the TGS anymore sadly). We are staying at an airbnb apartment right next to the Sendagi station, 10 minutes walk from Nippori on the Yamanote line. I hear that part of Tokyo is pretty calm and nice, so I'm looking forward to being there :)
I've been to Tokyo many times now, so I'm looking for stuff that's I've not seen before but worth checking out. I've been to basically all the most popular spots for tourists (shibuya, shinjuku, roppongi (meh), asakusa, skytree, yoyogi, ikebukuro, ginza, odaiba, kamakura, ueno, aikiba, takao and maybe others I forgot). I especially like gardens/nature, so anything worth checking in or around tokyo (let's say 90 minutes max from a Yamanote station)?

Still probably better than the London subway system. Last year when I went to London... it was hell. ;_;

Also yeah I only considered it because of price + it's next to the river and stuff. :) If I didn't find the Tamachi place, I may have gone for that instead.

They are very close geographically but Tamachi should be significantly more convenient, and it has a little more to do directly around the station area as well. You should try the Rinkai line once and go to Odaiba though! Just get off at Tokyo Teleport, which is my favorite name out of any train station in Japan.

Stuart444

They are very close geographically but Tamachi should be significantly more convenient, and it has a little more to do directly around the station area as well. You should try the Rinkai line once and go to Odaiba though! Just get off at Tokyo Teleport, which is my favorite name out of any train station in Japan.

Yeah, honestly the Tamachi station is what sealed the deal for me as it seemed easy enough to get to. I mean, I imagine I'll be pretty fucked by the travel/jetlag and stuff so the easier the travel is, the better otherwise I'd probably mess it up due to tiredness or something haha.

Can't wait to check out Odaiba though, Gundam statue and seeing places from Digimon Adventure :D (such as the Ferris Wheel and the Fuji TV building)

Also Tokyo Teleport? Seriously? That's an awesome name haha.

matt360

Managed to do Miyajima, Peace Memorial Park/Museum and Himeji castle in one day myself, so it's definitely doable.

That must've been a hell of a day! I do recommend taking as much time as you can at Miyajima. It really is a special place. You could easily spend an entire day there exploring the back streets, hitting up the aquarium, climbing Mt. Misen, and walking through Momijidani Kouen. Or you could just stay for a couple hours and hit up the main shopping street and see the torii gate and Itsukushima Shrine and then call it a day.

Super Potato didn't care when I took photos of things. Am I a rude gaijin? I mostly just observed signs the last time I was there. I don't remember anyone charging at me making Xs with their arms.

So I'm heading to Japan for the TGS (mostly a pretext, I don't expect anything much for the TGS anymore sadly). We are staying at an airbnb apartment right next to the Sendagi station, 10 minutes walk from Nippori on the Yamanote line. I hear that part of Tokyo is pretty calm and nice, so I'm looking forward to being there :)
I've been to Tokyo many times now, so I'm looking for stuff that's I've not seen before but worth checking out. I've been to basically all the most popular spots for tourists (shibuya, shinjuku, roppongi (meh), asakusa, skytree, yoyogi, ikebukuro, ginza, odaiba, kamakura, ueno, aikiba, takao and maybe others I forgot). I especially like gardens/nature, so anything worth checking in or around tokyo (let's say 90 minutes max from a Yamanote station)?

You might want to look into Kawagoe. I had a good time there. They have a whole section of town that's in traditional style and the remains of the Kawagoe castle that you can explore. All of my Japanese friends seem surprised when I tell them I've been there.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
You might want to look into Kawagoe. I had a good time there. They have a whole section of town that's in traditional style and the remains of the Kawagoe castle that you can explore. All of my Japanese friends seem surprised when I tell them I've been there.

That's an amazing suggestion. I had never heard of this place before, and it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Dandte

Anyone know any good record stores in Tokyo? So far, I just know of Disk Union. Obviously, Book Off is another good choice for CDs as well. Looking for something more likely to carry underground stuff than, say, Tower Records.

Check out shibuya beam. It has a guitar store, and on the 4 th floor iirc is a really good music store. International like bruce or motorhead and oldies and japanese CDs from Rock to indie etc iirc. Pretty close to shibuya Station

Dandte

Btw my six week in Japan will end on monday so i only have 2 nighst to get something (for a broke Student) fancy to eat 3 - 4k is ok, meat preferred. Any recommidations? Im in tokyo currently

Really quick q - we're finally about to start booking accommodations, starting with a airbnb in Kyoto. I've never traveled internationally; will customs/immigration want to know where we are staying in every city we travel to? I only ask because I know airbnb is typically not legal, so I wonder what we should tell them about that stop on our trip. Thanks everyone :)

No. They only want to know the address of the first place you're staying.

They do? Great, need to remember to write down the address before I go.

Yes. You need to fill in a disembarkation card like this that you get while on the plane (+ you get a customs declarations form as well):
KufC7k7.jpg

They stick the embarkation part into your passport and you need to give that to them when you're going back to the UK.

Stuart444

Yes. You need to fill in a disembarkation card like this that you get while on the plane (+ you get a customs declarations form as well):

They stick the embarkation part into your passport and you need to give that to them when you're going back to the UK.

Heh, lovely. Guess I'll save that as a reminder for near the time.

What is the customs declaration form for? Is it for taking items out of Japan or for when we arrive in Japan.

(yeah, probably a stupid question but never had to deal with custom stuff outside of importing stuff on the internet lol)

What is the customs declaration form for? Is it for taking items out of Japan or for when we arrive in Japan.

(yeah, probably a stupid question but never had to deal with custom stuff outside of importing stuff on the internet lol)

For when you arrive. If you got tons of cash, guns or narcotics you gotta declare it :p

My girlfriend and I need to get to Meidaimae station (our apartment is near there) from Narita airport. What's the most convenient way to do this? The host of our apartment says to take the "limousine" bus to Shinjuku West Exit, and take a taxi from there. Will a cab driver know where to go if I show the address in English?

KillGore

Hey GAF, is a 28 inch tall luggage be too big for trains? Especially the shinkansen? I'm thinking of buying one but I'm not sure if that's too big for train travel. Help?

I'm staying two weeks and I'm afraid something smaller won't hold much.

My girlfriend and I need to get to Meidaimae station (our apartment is near there) from Narita airport. What's the most convenient way to do this? The host of our apartment says to take the "limousine" bus to Shinjuku West Exit, and take a taxi from there. Will a cab driver know where to go if I show the address in English?

At what time are you gonna arrive? If it's not during the rush hours, or too late, then you could do the NEX to Shibuya and then take the Keio Inokashira Line from there to Meidaimae.

If not, then you'd better look up the address in Japanese and print it out.

Hey GAF, is a 28 inch tall luggage be too big for trains? Especially the shinkansen? I'm thinking of buying one but I'm not sure if that's too big for train travel. Help?

I'm staying two weeks and I'm afraid something smaller won't hold much.

It depends more on the depth and width than the height if it will fit in the overhead shelf.

At what time are you gonna arrive? If it's not during the rush hours, or too late, then you could do the NEX to Shibuya and then take the Keio Inokashira Line from there to Meidaimae.

We're arriving ~3, so we'll be cutting it very close to rush hour. I'm just worried about taking the (busy) subway with all our luggage. Are the station names listed in English--if so, then we *should* be fine...

I really wish I had thought about this sooner!

We're arriving ~3, so we'll be cutting it very close to rush hour. I'm just worried about taking the (busy) subway with all our luggage. Are the station names listed in English--if so, then we *should* be fine...

I really wish I had thought about this sooner!

It will probably take a bit over 2 hours to go through immigration and get your luggage + taking the NEX to Shibuya, so you'd be there around 5. So, yeah, right at the rush. No worries about crowding on the NEX since it's reserved seats.

The Keio Inokashira Line isn't a subway, but a privately owned railway. They do accept Pasmo and Suica cards though. The station and line names should be in English in the stations at least.

On the train itself it might or might not have a LED display or a light up station chart. I'm not sure since I've not taken trains on that particular line. They do have an easy to use station system though: http://www.keio.co.jp/english/howto/pdf/map.pdf

You need to ride from IN01 to IN08, so if you take a local train it's 7 stops from Shibuya, and if you take an express train it's 2 stops.

It will probably take a bit over 2 hours to go through immigration and get your luggage + taking the NEX to Shibuya, so you'd be there around 5. So, yeah, right at the rush. No worries about crowding on the NEX since it's reserved seats.

The Keio Inokashira Line isn't a subway, but a privately owned railway. They do accept Pasmo and Suica cards though. The station and line names should be in English in the stations at least.

On the train itself it might or might not have a LED display or a light up station chart. I'm not sure since I've not taken trains on that particular line. They do have an easy to use station system though: http://www.keio.co.jp/english/howto/pdf/map.pdf

You need to ride from IN01 to IN08, so if you take a local train it's 7 stops from Shibuya, and if you take an express train it's 2 stops.

You're a lifesaver! Your help is sincerely appreciated.

And when you refer to the NEX as having reserved seating, do you mean to apply that I have to buy my tickets in advance of the trip? Or will it suffice to just get them the day of?

You're a lifesaver! Your help is sincerely appreciated.

And when you refer to the NEX as having reserved seating, do you mean to apply that I have to buy my tickets in advance of the trip? Or will it suffice to just get them the day of?

Just get them on the day. You'll get an assigned car and seat number on your ticket. Make absolutely sure you get into the right car (there should be numbers both on the platform before boarding and on screens in the cars) or you might not end up in Shibuya if you're unlucky.

Stuart444

Just get them on the day. You'll get an assigned car and seat number on your ticket. Make absolutely sure you get into the right car (there should be numbers both on the platform before boarding and on screens in the cars) or you might not end up in Shibuya if you're unlucky.

Do they split the cars up mid-trip or something?

Err, how might I do this? I feel like the solution is obvious, but I can't think of anything.

dani_dc

Yup, it splits at Tokyo Station. One set goes to Shibuya/Shinjuku and the other to Yokohama.

On my way to Morioka they suddenly have a message about how the Shinkansen is going to split into two to go to Akita or Aomori.

It was quite crazy, hadn't considered that possibility at all.

On my way to Morioka they suddenly have a message about how the Shinkansen is going to split into two to go to Akita or Aomori.

It was quite crazy, hadn't considered that possibility at all.

Yeah, maybe one of the reasons why it's the only Shinkansen line with trains that have reserved seats only.

Top Bottom