• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

They are valid on all JR trains and buses, not just the shinkansen. Don't worry too much about what trains are good or not, so long as you know that the Nozumi and the Mizuho shinkansen services are not valid. If you tried to enter a non-JR train line with your pass, the guards wouldn't let you through, so the chances of messing up are quite slim.

JR train stations usually got big JR signs and JR on the station name signs everywhere too, so it's hard to miss if you're in a JR station or not.

Stuart444

Speaking of, is there some sign or something that says if the JR train is going to go through non-JR lines (aka you need to pay part of the way)?

Always been curious about that since I've read about the pass.

Speaking of, is there some sign or something that says if the JR train is going to go through non-JR lines (aka you need to pay part of the way)?

You will usually just pay at the station when you arrive or at the station you're boarding if it's a reserved seat. The normal first-time tourist will most likely not need to take any such trains.

Stuart444

So that is our flights booked. We'll be leaving Glasgow on the 27th of March, stopping over in Amsterdam for a few hours and then heading to Narita from there.

Going with KLM who seem to be good.

First time flying as 'adults', so excited :D

Now we have to plan it out properly. Hoping to book some accommodation by the start of October. The sooner the better due to it being the Sakura season and all.

Piggus

My JR pass exchange orders arrived, and holy crap they shipped faster than anything I've ever bought. They shipped from London on Monday and were at my door (west coast USA) on Tuesday. Dyam!

Also, if Bodacious is lurking, I'd just like to thank him for his awesome PM detailing stuff to do in Hiroshima. Very informative!

My JR pass exchange orders arrived, and holy crap they shipped faster than anything I've ever bought. They shipped from London on Monday and were at my door (west coast USA) on Tuesday. Dyam!

Also, if Bodacious is lurking, I'd just like to thank him for his awesome PM detailing stuff to do in Hiroshima. Very informative!

Hah, mine just came in today as well. Technically they tried to deliver it yesterday but I wasn't home to sign for it. Got a big ole travel booklet as well. They do kind of have to ship that stuff as fast as possible. I remember when I bought concert tickets last year they overnighted the tickets from Tokyo to Chicago. Sometimes its crazy to think about the logistics of such a thing.

if you'll have access to data (I rented a mifi device, A+ will rent every time forever now) what I did was use google maps to tell me what station to get off and on for whatever destination I'm headed to. I then used the Hyperdia app which has a filter to use JR trains only, plug in the start and end stations, win the game. Between both of these apps, you should know in advance if you need to take a non JR

Piggus

Hah, mine just came in today as well. Technically they tried to deliver it yesterday but I wasn't home to sign for it. Got a big ole travel booklet as well. They do kind of have to ship that stuff as fast as possible. I remember when I bought concert tickets last year they overnighted the tickets from Tokyo to Chicago. Sometimes its crazy to think about the logistics of such a thing.

Yeah I wasn't home as well haha. I was thinking "there's no way that's getting delivered today. Must be a mistake." But nope, notice was on the door. I pre-signed for it so it should be waiting for me when I get home.

What service did you order yours from? I'm not sure if mine comes with a book or not.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I'm going to Tokyo for a few days in late September with my girlfriend, and while I lived in Japan for 2 years, I spent very little time in Tokyo (I lived in Nagoya). We plan on staying in Love Hotels, but whats some fun stuff that we can do between nights? I know she wants to go to Tsukiji one morning. Any other fun stuff for couples any locals would recommend? My Japanese is fairly fluent, so should be OK doing with most anything.

Zoe

I'm going to Tokyo for a few days in late September with my girlfriend, and while I lived in Japan for 2 years, I spent very little time in Tokyo (I lived in Nagoya). We plan on staying in Love Hotels, but whats some fun stuff that we can do between nights? I know she wants to go to Tsukiji one morning. Any other fun stuff for couples any locals would recommend? My Japanese is fairly fluent, so should be OK doing with most anything.

Really? Why that over a regular hotel?

I booked off two weeks in October for a possible solo trip. Anyone got any especially good places to visit, not too much a fan of shrines and museums tbh.

I'm in the middle of searching so I thought I'd ask you guys. Anyone of you guys know of a good restaurant around Kawasaki/Kanagawa area? Preferably not that far from trains.

I'm planning to catch up with my friends who are working here in Japan. I know jack shit about food. I'd prefer some place with good fried rice, and karaage, though.

Budget is 3000 JPY per person.

Its a heck of a lot cheaper than the Grand Hyatt or Conrad other nice hotels... And again, its more fun.

$100-110 USD per night is not much for a hotel...

I mean, do what's fun and all, it's your trip, but that's pretty expensive for a Japanese hotel. I'm paying less than 4k yen per night for an apartment in February next year, and the hotel we stayed at last year was less than 7k a night.

Edit: Apartment in Ikebukuro, hotel in Shinjuku

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I mean, do what's fun and all, it's your trip, but that's pretty expensive for a Japanese hotel. I'm paying less than 4k yen per night for an apartment in February next year, and the hotel we stayed at last year was less than 7k a night.

Edit: Apartment in Ikebukuro, hotel in Shinjuku

Ok, so enough about where we want to stay, whats good to do for a couple during the day? We are gonna hit Ginza for some shopping, and Tsukiji one AM for fresh Sashimi/Sushi. I think she wants to see Akihabara as well. But any nice restaurant recommendations or good romantic spots would be appreciated. Neither one of us are the touristy type and would much rather do the "local" thing.

Ok, so enough about where we want to stay, whats good to do for a couple during the day? We are gonna hit Ginza for some shopping, and Tsukiji one AM for fresh Sashimi/Sushi. I think she wants to see Akihabara as well. But any nice restaurant recommendations or good romantic spots would be appreciated. Neither one of us are the touristy type and would much rather do the "local" thing.

Go check out the sky deck at Roppongi Hills at night. Unless there's a special exhibit you can get a couples picture taken with the Tokyo Tower in the background and there's also the Mori Art Museum and lots of restaurants there on the lower floors.

Anony

going to be going to tokyo oct 7-14
last time i went, i went with friends and we got a cheap airbnb place
it was pretty good place, but we had way too many people in the place and it wasnt comfortable sleeping

this time, i'm going alone, i know tokyo is a safe place, and would rather have a hotel to stay at rather than airbnb place
looking to pay like 50-70 cad and doesn't seem like there that many options
all the hotels are capsule or hostel
would rather have a small room where i can be in a quiet environment where i can sleep

any suggestions

I'm staying at a place in Ikebukuro called Kimi Ryokan. It's 4500 yen for a small one person room. I really liked it there when I went a few years ago.

going to be going to tokyo oct 7-14
last time i went, i went with friends and we got a cheap airbnb place
it was pretty good place, but we had way too many people in the place and it wasnt comfortable sleeping

this time, i'm going alone, i know tokyo is a safe place, and would rather have a hotel to stay at rather than airbnb place
would rather have a small room where i can be in a quiet environment where i can sleep

any suggestions

If you want something really cheap then check out either Aizuya Inn or Juyoh Hotel I guess.

If you want something more like a standard hotel, then I guess the Flexstay Inn ones (like Tokiwadai) might be more to your liking.

inafking

I guess the most uncomfortable thing is having shared bathrooms which can be used at the same time by many people, like public bathrooms but inside a hostel.

tR8PlDD.jpg

Sure they can be cheap, but you trade money for privacy.
Also, dormitories are hell as cheap, but they have the same trait.

inafking

All of the hostels I've stayed at so far has had private shower cabins.

Yeah, I guess you've to have terrible bad luck chosing a hostel with one of those baths. At least you can only trust hostels which publish shower cabins in their picture section in accomodation search sites, otherwise it's a gamble.

SteaG

any suggestions
If you stay for 7 nights, maybe the "one week special" offer of the Sakura Hotels could be interesting. For example, at Sakura Hotel Hatagaya (near Shinjuku) : 7 nights for 42,900 yens (single room). The Sakura Hotel at Ikebukuro seems to be more expensive though.

inafking

For me, finding a hotel that's close to both JR and subway stations and having shower cabins is like winning the powerball. That's how I feel after booking Hotel Chuo in Osaka which is close to both Dobutsuenmae and Shin Imamiya Station.

It'd be difficult to find hotels or hostels in Tokyo where you can be close to Tokyo Metro, Toei Metro and JR Stations. Also, those stations are not so common. I know Ichigaya, Iidabashi, Shinjuku Nishiguchi and Okachimachi/Ueno Okachimachi/Ueno Hirokoji/Naka Okachimachi are of that kind.

At least for me both location and at least some privacy in the showers and rooms is my minimum requirements. It's absolutely no problem if the room is just a traditional one with futons or it has bunk beds.

3 days til I start my trip! I just wanna escape this damn cold winter here in Chile!
Hugs for you all that are already in Japan.

PS: This is my itinerary for the month and a half I'm staying just in case someone wants to arrange a meetup!

Tokyo: August 26 - September 6
Nagoya: September 7 - September 12
Osaka: September 13 - September 25
Kyoto: September 26 - October 6
Tokyo (again): October 7 - October 15

Stuart444

So I follow some English Youtubers in Japan and one of them, Sharla posted this really nice video taken in Tohoku:

Geibikei Gorge

Thought I'd post it in case anyone is interested in checking it out in Japan :)

KillGore

How is transportation in Hiroshima? If I buy the JR Pass, I think I read I can use the ferry (to Miyajima Island) and some buses? Not sure if true. If so, are the buses specific buses? are they identifiable?

Is there more than one different ferry that goes to Miyajima? If so, Does the JR Pass work on all of them?

Anony

If you stay for 7 nights, maybe the "one week special" offer of the Sakura Hotels could be interesting. For example, at Sakura Hotel Hatagaya (near Shinjuku) : 7 nights for 42,900 yens (single room). The Sakura Hotel at Ikebukuro seems to be more expensive though.

roughly 62 cad per night, this is definitely going on the top of my list, thanks

How is transportation in Hiroshima? If I buy the JR Pass, I think I read I can use the ferry (to Miyajima Island) and some buses? Not sure if true. If so, are the buses specific buses? are they identifiable?

Is there more than one different ferry that goes to Miyajima? If so, Does the JR Pass work on all of them?

Yes. You can use the JR ferry, but not the Matsudai one to get to Miyajima. You can't use the boats that go from Peace Park and back either.

You can use the Maploop tourist buses: https://www.chugoku-jrbus.co.jp/teikan/meipurupu/en/

You can tell it's a Maploop bus by the colours and the maple leafs all over :p

And you can use the JR trains that go from Hiroshima station to where the ferry to Miyajima is.

Stuff you can't use with the JR Pass is normal buses and the trams.

ilbambino

I will be in japan on the first week of september, i would like to know if i will have any difficulties exchanging 2 500 Euro notes for yen? Any advice is appreciated.

Anony

I will be in japan on the first week of september, i would like to know if i will have any difficulties exchanging 2 500 Euro notes for yen? Any advice is appreciated.

no.. you have a mainstream currency, go to any exchange rate place and they will do it for you
obviously you wouldn't get the best exchange rate
you can probably go to any bank and do this (because, banks)

always exchange your money locally and then bring some extra cash (euros) for emergencies in case you really need to do an exchange

Zoe

Dedicated exchange places will give you the best rate. The airport will give you the worst.

Traveler's checks have better rates than cash.

Stuart444

So been thinking the last few days and need to ask.

How long should we stay in Kyoto area. It's my first thought because how long will help me choose a place to stay sooner.

We're going for 2 weeks like I mentioned, arriving and staying in Tokyo for the first half before going to Kyoto and we want at least 1 - 2 days in Tokyo at the end before we leave Japan.

So I guess what I'm asking is... is 6 days enough (including the day we arrive in Kyoto but not including the day we leave to go back to Tokyo). Enough to explore Osaka/Kyoto and visit Nara/Miyajima/maybe Hiroshima?

So I guess what I'm asking is... is 6 days enough (including the day we arrive in Kyoto but not including the day we leave to go back to Tokyo). Enough to explore Osaka/Kyoto and visit Nara/Miyajima/maybe Hiroshima?

There's never enough time, hence the thread title ;P

But, yeah. 6 days + a leaving day should be good.

Stuart444

There's never enough time, hence the thread title ;P

But, yeah. 6 days + a leaving day should be good.

Haha. I have plans for whenever I visit a second time :p but first things first... my first trip XD.

So:

28th (arrival day) - 3rd: Tokyo area
3rd - 9th (bye bye Kyoto day): Kyoto and nearby areas
9th - 10th: Some relaxing time in Tokyo and any last minute stuff
11th: Goodbye Japan ;_;

I think that looks good?

also bonus question: For anyone who has gone to the Eorzea Cafe, how quickly does it book up? Because depending on how quickly they book up, I might try and book a slot the day before we go (Sat though JST wise, it will probably be noted as Sunday due to time differences) and hopefully pick it up the day we arrive in Japan.

VoxPop

Hey everyone. I'm planning an Asia tour with 2 of my friends with a week in Japan. Most likely will be staying in Tokyo. Can anyone recommend me which districts I should be looking at? I'm looking for something relatively close to night life and all the clubs. Also is the J-Pass (?) worth getting for a week stay? I do want to check out the countryside and a lot of gaming related stuff too if we have the time.

I believe Shinjuku for night life. I'm not a night life person (so I can't really speak from experience) but this is where the clubs, bars, and the most drunk people I saw were. Also Robot Restaurant, make it happen.

Hey everyone. I'm planning an Asia tour with 2 of my friends with a week in Japan. Most likely will be staying in Tokyo. Can anyone recommend me which districts I should be looking at? I'm looking for something relatively close to night life and all the clubs. Also is the J-Pass (?) worth getting for a week stay? I do want to check out the countryside and a lot of gaming related stuff too if we have the time.

Shibuya is worth checking out if you want the nightlife. As for the JR Pass, it's not going to be worth it unless you're taking 2 or more trips on the bullet trains. By the sounds of it, most of the stuff you're after can be done in Tokyo :)

Why does the Aussie dollar have to pick now to crash, right before I'm about to go to Japan, it's at the lowest compared to the Yen that it has been in over 2 years >.<

Just wandering through the area and eating at a Golden Gai place should be fine. Just don't enter some of the more shady establishments :p

Is the Golden Gai still standing? I meant to check it out last time but didn't, and I heard it was being destroyed soon because of the Olympics?

Top Bottom