• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

What are you going for? Just the view, or are you planning to do anything in particular in the area?

The view, some landscape photography and to see whatever is around Lake Kawaguchiko. I understand Mt. Fuji is closed in October, will the highest I be able get is one of the 5th stations?

Anony

The view, some landscape photography and to see whatever is around Lake Kawaguchiko. I understand Mt. Fuji is closed in October, will the highest I be able get is one of the 5th stations?

it's not entirely closed? I wanted to climb mt fuiji too, but said it's closed in october

Rydeen

Can anybody recommend good hostels around downtown Nagoya? I'm going to be there for three days in October before heading to Tokyo for a week and a half.

Hello Japan Travel GAF!!

After a whole year of saving and 3-4 months of planning, I am finally going to Japan to celebrate my birthday!

I have a schedule planned, which you can see HERE. I am doing this solo after a couple friends ditched the idea when emergencies came and money because an issue... Oh well.

Anyways, I have a couple questions if you guys can help:

1. Is all the things I have planned, stupid cramped or doable? I am not afraid of burnout since I enjoy traveling and not having a moment of rest... for the most part.

2. I am a bit insecure about my Trips to Osaka and Kyoto regarding Hostels, is there any hostel you guys would recommend?

3. Am I spending too much time in Osaka? I know Kyoto has some superb shrines, I already made a separate guide on which temples to go to. But I am always open for more must-sees for both Osaka and Kyoto.

4. Disney Hotel/Hostal recommendations? Tips? Its the last leg of my trip and I wouldn't like to miss something...

5. Halloween in Tokyo will mostly spent goofing around in a Lucha Mask, dont have any plans besides hitting some of the bigger streets and join the fun. Any ideas of what else to do?

6. Should I separate each day with addresses and subway lines before I go? Or just follow instinct and general subway/directions?

Finally, if you have any tips or advice about transportation, or what NOT to do in Japan [like avoiding Roppongi Hills at night] I would appreciate it.

Thanks again!!

Its on the far side of the park. Its in the "Children's Zoo" area if you look at this map. I actually didn't realize there was that much over there as well. I remember seeing a schedule of when certain animals were brought out to the petting area, I was too late for the alpacas.

http://www.tokyo-zoo.net/english/pdf/map_ueno_english.pdf

We spent a lot of time right outside of the petting area. I can't believe we missed it. We were probably too distracted by the penguins.

Hello Japan Travel GAF!!

After a whole year of saving and 3-4 months of planning, I am finally going to Japan to celebrate my birthday!

I have a schedule planned, which you can see HERE. I am doing this solo after a couple friends ditched the idea when emergencies came and money because an issue... Oh well.

1. Is all the things I have planned, stupid cramped or doable? I am not afraid of burnout since I enjoy traveling and not having a moment of rest... for the most part.

2. I am a bit insecure about my Trips to Osaka and Kyoto regarding Hostels, is there any hostel you guys would recommend?

3. Am I spending too much time in Osaka? I know Kyoto has some superb shrines, I already made a separate guide on which temples to go to. But I am always open for more must-sees for both Osaka and Kyoto.

4. Disney Hotel/Hostal recommendations? Tips? Its the last leg of my trip and I wouldn't like to miss something...

5. Halloween in Tokyo will mostly spent goofing around in a Lucha Mask, dont have any plans besides hitting some of the bigger streets and join the fun. Any ideas of what else to do?

6. Should I separate each day with addresses and subway lines before I go? Or just follow instinct and general subway/directions?

Finally, if you have any tips or advice about transportation, or what NOT to do in Japan [like avoiding Roppongi Hills at night] I would appreciate it.

Thanks again!!

Your schedule doesn't look too busy. I think you have a good amount of stuff planned while still being able to fit in whatever you find interesting as it comes up. Sunshine City has a pretty cool aquarium as well so you might want to keep that in mind when you spend time there. My recommendation is to familiarize yourself with the train system but to mostly play it by instinct. You'll be less stressed and more likely to find something interesting you didn't know about that way.

it's not entirely closed? I wanted to climb mt fuiji too, but said it's closed in october

You can try to climb it, but there's no one there to help you if you need it and no huts where you can sleep are open nor toilets or anything else. It will probably be snow and ice there by then, so you'll need proper climbing gear as well.

If you're there just to check out the area, then it would probably be enough with a day trip. Make sure to check out the bus schedules if you're going to one of the 5th stations though, since there's less buses running during the off-season.

Two things first. There's no Pokemon Center Kyoto and you got a JR pass for 8 days in your schedule. The JR Pass is only valid for 7 days.

1. Your plans for October 29th seems a bit crowded, other days seems doable enough.

3. I'd maybe do another day in Kyoto, but if you're not, then why stay in Kyoto at all? If you plan to only do 1 day in Kyoto and 1 day in Nara, then you'd might as well book your hostel in Osaka for the whole time. It's just as easy getting to Nara from Osaka as Kyoto.

4. Just stay at K's House for the whole thing. It's less than 1 hour by train to Disney, and it's a better place to be for your last day since you're flying out of Narita early-ish.

6. Since you got quite the packed schedule, then it might be wise to write some stuff down at least if you really don't want to miss anything.

Heya!

Thanks for the quick reply! I have been fixing my itinerary a bit and some people recommend me the same about the 29th. I will follow advice and I think Ill sacrifice an hour of sleep just to get to Disney early (Hotel money saved means I can get some gifts for my SO and family).

A couple more questions, these are easy ones:

1. Is Amerikamura // Dotonbori and Namba worth it? I keep hearing mixed thoughts on this.
2. Should I make space // Take out a day from Osaka and go to Universal Studios? I am interested on both the Harry Potter and Monster Hunter Attractions.

Once again, THANKS A LOT!!!

A couple more questions, these are easy ones:

1. Is Amerikamura // Dotonbori and Namba worth it? I keep hearing mixed thoughts on this.
2. Should I make space // Take out a day from Osaka and go to Universal Studios? I am interested on both the Harry Potter and Monster Hunter Attractions.

Once again, THANKS A LOT!!!

Dotonbori is worth checking out at least. Best at night.

If you're into fashion and stuff then I guess Amerikamura is good.

The rest of the Namba area I dunno...

The Monster Hunter stuff at Universal is no longer there. They got Biohazard: The Real 3 while you're there though.

If you're checking out the Harry Potter stuff, then it would be best to get a fast pass, and it's best to order that online before you go to Japan since they can sell out.

You can try to climb it, but there's no one there to help you if you need it and no huts where you can sleep are open nor toilets or anything else. It will probably be snow and ice there by then, so you'll need proper climbing gear as well.

If you're there just to check out the area, then it would probably be enough with a day trip. Make sure to check out the bus schedules if you're going to one of the 5th stations though, since there's less buses running during the off-season.

I'll probably pass on trying to climb it with the snow and ice, probably just see how far up I can go. I do want to catch a sunrise in the area though. Is it recommended to stay around Fuji itself or will Hakone work? How difficult is it to travel between the two if I use public transit?

I'll probably pass on trying to climb it with the snow and ice, probably just see how far up I can go. I do want to catch a sunrise in the area though. Is it recommended to stay around Fuji itself or will Hakone work? How difficult is it to travel between the two if I use public transit?

It'll take 1.5-2.5 hours by bus each way, depending on where you're staying in Hakone. Make sure you check out timetables because the buses stops running around 19:00-21:00.

Anony

I'm trying to make it a day thing, I dont plan on climbing the entire thing, nothing hard core.
Maybe climb a couple of hours up then a couple of hours down.
It's not steep at the base right?
And I heard there's paths and everything, should be safe; this is more like a hike I'm hoping.

I'm trying to make it a day thing, I dont plan on climbing the entire thing, nothing hard core.
Maybe climb a couple of hours up then a couple of hours down.
It's not steep at the base right?
And I heard there's paths and everything, should be safe; this is more like a hike I'm hoping.

Well, I guess you could climb the lower half of the mountain instead of taking the bus up to one of the 5th stations. If you take the buses up the mountain then you'll already be half way up the mountain.

Going from the 5th Station to the 6th Station probably wouldn't be so bad, part of that is road and part is a wooded trail. And the 6th Station is kind of where the hike "really" begins. After the 6th Station you just start going back and forth as you go up. The 5th to 6th isn't much of an elevation change. But once you get to the 6th is kind of where the trees stop, so you can get a view up the mountain and out from the mountain.

KopYLdO.png

inafking

Hello Japan Travel GAF!!

I have a schedule planned, which you can see HERE....

What are your plans when you wrote Nintendo on your list? AFAIK, you can't just go into the building since it's not touristic attraction. At most you may take pictures from the outside.

The same happened to me when I went to the Konami building in Roppingi.

I hope I'm not a party pooper beacause of this information.
Greets!

Omg GAF!!!! I'm so excited, my wife and I just booked our first trip to Japan for next April 11th-25th. So I want to get some advice about a general itinerary considering we have to be a certain places at certain times.

So we fly in from Aus on the 11th, arriving at 6:30pm to Tokyo (Narita), but seeing as we are meeting up with my sister on the 20th we were going to do the Tokyo leg of the trip last and fly out together. So would it be possible to go straight from the airport to Kyoto?

I'm kind of getting ahead of myself...what would be a general itinerary for first time visitors? We were thinking

Tokyo for 6-7 days
Kyoto 3-4 days
Osaka 3-4 days
?????? 1-2 days

The Japan rail 14day pass would be suited to this trip right? I'm so overwhelmed ATM...

So we fly in from Aus on the 11th, arriving at 6:30pm to Tokyo (Narita), but seeing as we are meeting up with my sister on the 20th we were going to do the Tokyo leg of the trip last and fly out together. So would it be possible to go straight from the airport to Kyoto?

The Japan rail 14day pass would be suited to this trip right? I'm so overwhelmed ATM...

Yeah, you can go straight to Kyoto, but you'll probably arrive there around midnight.

If you can trim down the time you spend in Kyoto/Osaka/??? to 7 days then it would be enough with a 7 day pass.

Yeah, you can go straight to Kyoto, but you'll probably arrive there around midnight.

If you can trim down the time you spend in Kyoto/Osaka/??? to 7 days then it would be enough with a 7 day pass.

Can you use that rail pass in Tokyo though? If we are going for 15 days the pass would allow us to do day trips out from Tokyo?

Edit: what are some suggestions for great places to visit? Open to all suggestions

Using the JR Pass in Tokyo is a waste of money. If you're doing day trips it depends on how far you're going and how many trips you're taking.

Ahhh ok. Well we want to do Mt. Fuji as a number one priority. Other trips would be by recommendation.

Price for the rail pass according to the travel brochure I just got is $306 for the 7 day pass, $488 for the 14. You think I'd save money doing the 7 and then just buying individual tickets?

Ahhh ok. Well we want to do Mt. Fuji as a number one priority. Other trips would be by recommendation.

Price for the rail pass according to the travel brochure I just got is $306 for the 7 day pass, $488 for the 14. You think I'd save money doing the 7 and then just buying individual tickets?

Yes. Shouldn't be more than 600-1500 JPY for transport each day within Tokyo. Oh, and get a Pasmo/Suica IC card for taking trains/subways in Tokyo. So much easier.

Yes. Shouldn't be more than 600-1500 JPY for transport each day within Tokyo. Oh, and get a Pasmo/Suica IC card for taking trains/subways in Tokyo. So much easier.

Just looked at current pricing and with our poor Aussie dollar it's pretty steep... Even for the 7 day pass. I'm looking at the Kansai area pass which is only $85 for 4 consecutive days. We could use those four days to do our 'sightseeing' outside of Kyoto, then spend the other 3 days in Kyoto itself (we decided to just to 7 total in Kyoto area then go to Tokyo area for the other 7-8 days).

Would the Kansai pass be better suited to that? How much would it cost to get from Narita to Kyoto when we first arrive, and the from Kyoto to Tokyo for the second leg of the trip?

Just looked at current pricing and with our poor Aussie dollar it's pretty steep... Even for the 7 day pass. I'm looking at the Kansai area pass which is only $85 for 4 consecutive days. We could use those four days to do our 'sightseeing' outside of Kyoto, then spend the other 3 days in Kyoto itself (we decided to just to 7 total in Kyoto area then go to Tokyo area for the other 7-8 days).

Would the Kansai pass be better suited to that? How much would it cost to get from Narita to Kyoto when we first arrive, and the from Kyoto to Tokyo for the second leg of the trip?

Well... You could get this:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTK1/

The total cost will be 21600 JPY (for the shinkansen return trip) + 3000 JPY (for the NEX train from Narita to Tokyo) + 6300 JPY (for the kansai area pass if you book online here)

So, 30900 total each instead of 29110 JPY for a JR Pass. Better to get the JR Pass :p

Well... You could get this:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTK1/

The total cost will be 21600 JPY (for the shinkansen return trip) + 3000 JPY (for the NEX train from Narita to Tokyo) + 6300 JPY (for the kansai area pass if you book online here)

So, 30900 total each instead of 29110 JPY for a JR Pass. Better to get the JR Pass :p

I really appreciate all the help you're giving me mate.

How about an overnight bus instead? So we arrive at 6:30ish, by the time we get out of the airport and get to Tokyo station it will probably be about 9:30, maybe we could do an overnight bus?

I was researching on the Japan-online site in the op and it linked to here
http://willerexpress.com/st/3/en/pc/buspass/

Could we get that 5 day bus pass and share the tickets between my wife and I? As in use 2 of the tickets for the trip from Tokyo to Kyoto and then another 2 for the trip back after 6-7 in the Kansai region? Or do we just have to do single fairs? Either way that would save us a tonne of money, we wouldn't have to book a room for those nights as well.

Edit: just read you can't share a pass, so we could get the 10,000 yen pass each that gives us 3 days worth of travel.

10 days till I fly out of my little humble city of Perth and into one of the biggest cities in the world o_o

I won't lie, I'm starting to get abit anxious about things (not speaking the language, not having enough money to buy everything, missing out on something I want to do) but oh gosh I am soo freaking excited for it :D

What are your plans when you wrote Nintendo on your list? AFAIK, you can't just go into the building since it's not touristic attraction. At most you may take pictures from the outside.

The same happened to me when I went to the Konami building in Roppingi.

I hope I'm not a party pooper beacause of this information.
Greets!

Heya!
I know that, a friend just asked me for some pictures of the building. I dont think they will let anyone enter just like that. Mostly its a IF YOU HAVE THE TIME kinda thing.

Now, a couple questions:

1. I am about to purchase my JR PASS, is there a website you would recommend me? I am currently looking at this place since it ships to Mexico...

2. I am also gonna get a WiFi Router, and the best deal comes from this place... Would you recommend it or is there a better deal? I am staying for 22 days and I am looking at the LTE model.

3. I am gonna be in Japan for about 22 days, I plan to bring a standard big luggage, but a couple friends also recommended me to bring a second big [35-40L] backpack just in case. Should I do this or just bring either? Im not looking to buy lots of bulky souvenirs, but one never knows [being a Pokemon fan and also looking to stockpile some art supplies, plus some books...]. Of course Ill do this on the last week Ill stay so I can travel freely to Osaka and Kyoto.

4. My Partner suggested me to visit Shinjuku Ni-Chome and just lurk around. He really likes underwear and I plan to find some shops so I can get him some goodies. Is the area like, say, Mexico City's Pink Zone [Zona Rosa] or Toronto's Gay Village? [Lots of LGBT+ bar/clubs, sex shops and others]. Should I avoid the area? Nightlife-wise I know my limits and my street-smartness, but I am willing to listen to whatever you guys also can bring in.

5. Finally, I know where to find really good art supplies, but does anyone knows where I could find artbooks? I collect animation and videogame artbooks and I am looking forward to the Splatoon one! Do you guys recommend any place like this?

Thanks everyone, 29 days to go for me!!!

How about an overnight bus instead? So we arrive at 6:30ish, by the time we get out of the airport and get to Tokyo station it will probably be about 9:30, maybe we could do an overnight bus?

Sure, as long as you think you'll be able to sleep on a bus. If you're only going to use the bus for 2 days then it might be cheaper to not get that pass and you can then order your bus seats further in advance (4-5 months instead of 2). Unless you plan to use the bus to go somewhere else as well of course. And there's the risk of the bus being full, but if you order far enough ahead, then it probably won't be a problem.

Now, a couple questions:

1. That's the site I order from as well.

2. I rented from here: http://wifi.tocoo.jp/en/ Much cheaper, but their order system seems to have been down for a long time now. Not sure what's going on, but you could try mailing them?

3. I have a 25 or so liter backpack as my carry-on and a big suitcase as my checked luggage. You could always try to cram a backpack into your suitcase, just in case you need it. Useful for day trips if you need to bring some stuff or plan to buy anything while out and about as well.

5. I know Super Potato might have some gaming related books, and there's these two places:
Go to book town:
http://en.japantravel.com/view/book-town-in-jimbocho

If you're interested in anime/game art books, then you should check out the various stores in Nakano Broadway as well.

I went to the Meguro Sun Festival today. I had a lot of fun but had a really surreal experience. When I got there, they were handing out pieces of paper and, after I was given one, I was grabbed by a Tokyo Metro government worker who walked me to a table that had pens and made me fill out a quiz about how people in Japan do taxes. I got 4 out of 6 right and was given a bag for my trouble.

5. I know Super Potato might have some gaming related books, and there's these two places:

I got a really awesome Phantasy Star book the last time I came to Japan at Super Potato.

KillGore

10 days till I fly out of my little humble city of Perth and into one of the biggest cities in the world o_o

I won't lie, I'm starting to get abit anxious about things (not speaking the language, not having enough money to buy everything, missing out on something I want to do) but oh gosh I am soo freaking excited for it :D

Not to get you more nervous but if you're going to Tokyo, it's not one of the biggest cities in the world, it IS the biggest city of the world! (population wise).Have fun!

KillGore

Where did you guys buy the JR Pass and wi-fi device? Also, regarding the JR Pass; they send you something that you exchange for the real pass in Japan, right?

Where did you guys buy the JR Pass and wi-fi device? Also, regarding the JR Pass; they send you something that you exchange for the real pass in Japan, right?

There are links to both in the OP. With the JR pass you get mailed a exchange order that you bring to the JR office in the airport. The WiFi device will usually be picked up at the airport as well (post office) or you can have that sent to your hotel.

KillGore

There are links to both in the OP. With the JR pass you get mailed a exchange order that you bring to the JR office in the airport. The WiFi device will usually be picked up at the airport as well (post office) or you can have that sent to your hotel.

whoops. Thank you!

Look 5 posts above yours :p

I'm thinking of doing this itenary.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_10.html

But how do you handle luggage? Do you carry everything with you or do you leave everything in 1/2 places?

Keep you luggage in Tokyo and Kyoto while doing day trips. Try putting it in a locker while exploring Hiroshima/Himeji and then take it with you to the whatever place you're staying in Miyajima.

Oh, and get a 7 day JR Pass, not a 14 day one.

KillGore

Look 5 posts above yours :p

Well that's not embarrassing at all lol

By the way, I'm reading that some hotels have luggage forwarding? (maybe all hotels?). So how does it work? I go up to the counter and ask them to send the luggage to the next hotel? Who do I pay for that service? Does the next hotel store the luggages until I arrive? How much do they charge?

By the way, I'm reading that some hotels have luggage forwarding? (maybe all hotels?). So how does it work? I go up to the counter and ask them to send the luggage to the next hotel? Who do I pay for that service? Does the next hotel store the luggages until I arrive? How much do they charge?

See here:
www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

You pay the place you're sending stuff from. And as it says, make sure to contact the place you're sending the stuff to before sending anything. Both so they know that it'll be arriving and they might have special instructions about certain notes you need to write on the address label. Or in the worst case that they don't accept such arrangements. Some places might also charge a fee for keeping your stuff before you arrive.

KillGore

See here:
www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

You pay the place you're sending stuff from. And as it says, make sure to contact the place you're sending the stuff to before sending anything. Both so they know that it'll be arriving and they might have special instructions about certain notes you need to write on the address label. Or in the worst case that they don't accept such arrangements. Some places might also charge a fee for keeping your stuff before you arrive.

Thanks!

About the JR Pass. Is it the same regardless of what website I buy it? What I mean is, I've read the JR pass also includes one of the ferries that take you to Miyajima and also includes the Haneda monorail, all of these things will be included in whatever exchange order I buy, right?

Resilient

Thanks!

About the JR Pass. Is it the same regardless of what website I buy it? What I mean is, I've read the JR pass also includes one of the ferries that take you to Miyajima and also includes the Haneda monorail, all of these things will be included in whatever exchange order I buy, right?

JR Pass for foreigners is the same for anywhere. You're thinking of JR EAST like passes that start featuring different places for you to travel.

Resilient

Can anyone tell me which of these, if any, is regular-ass detergent?

They're all for washing clothes but you don't need to me to tell you that much..

The first one I can't read the writing too well and my interpretation of strange katakana combinations is shit. It's called Wide Hide EX-power.

The second one is for fashionable clothes..upper-garments, for girls stuff. Maybe it's for delicates?

The third one is definitely for delicates/caring for damaged clothes.

The fourth one...no clue.

Hopefully somebody can clarify..

Not to get you more nervous but if you're going to Tokyo, it's not one of the biggest cities in the world, it IS the biggest city of the world! (population wise).Have fun!
I think its more just travelling to a place like that on my own, I've never really travelled on my own before and am a little worried about getting lost or having issues with the language barrier. I really should have spent the last year learning Japanese :p

I think I've asked this before or its most likely been answered before, but in regards to Universal Studios is there anyway to buy the Express Passes before I get to Universal or are they something I need to line up early to get. It doesn't open till around 9:30 (I think), I was planning on getting in the area at around 8ish so I could get some breakfast first, that should give me plenty of time to line up for an Express Pass if I can't get one online.

Also Disney SEA, any bonus to ordering those tickets online or better to line up on the day.

Anony

ok, got 2 questions.

About mt fuji again, since everything past 5th station will be closed, are there trails below 5th station I can do?
What about going around the five lakes? Is it hard to get around solo with no japanese help?

I want to do biking in tokyo. simple search on google brings this:
tour guide, rent bike, insurance, lunch, 10000 yen
http://www.tokyocycling.jp/program.html
then I see this (just the route?)
http://cycle-tokyo.cycling.jp/course.html
don't see anything about renting a bike or anything, I guess it's just a route people set up

KillGore

I think its more just travelling to a place like that on my own, I've never really travelled on my own before and am a little worried about getting lost or having issues with the language barrier. I really should have spent the last year learning Japanese :p

I think I've asked this before or its most likely been answered before, but in regards to Universal Studios is there anyway to buy the Express Passes before I get to Universal or are they something I need to line up early to get. It doesn't open till around 9:30 (I think), I was planning on getting in the area at around 8ish so I could get some breakfast first, that should give me plenty of time to line up for an Express Pass if I can't get one online.

Also Disney SEA, any bonus to ordering those tickets online or better to line up on the day.

I'll be in your same shoes in November. I'll be traveling alone with my wife but we don't know Japanese, so I'm a bit nervous about it but also excited because we have the freedom to do what we want, when we want it, something I would've missed if I would've taken a tour. You need to tell me how it went, so I'll know what to expect. I'll have so many questions for you when you come back!

They're all for washing clothes but you don't need to me to tell you that much..

The first one I can't read the writing too well and my interpretation of strange katakana combinations is shit. It's called Wide Hide EX-power.

The second one is for fashionable clothes..upper-garments, for girls stuff. Maybe it's for delicates?

The third one is definitely for delicates/caring for damaged clothes.

The fourth one...no clue.

Hopefully somebody can clarify..

That'll do, thanks! I just wanted to make sure that none of them would hurt my clothes, and it sounds like they won't.

You can order online here, that's what I did:
http://www.usj.co.jp/ticket/

Use google translate or something to help you.

If you order the DisneySea tickets online, then you don't need to waste time standing in line to buy tickets.

About mt fuji again, since everything past 5th station will be closed, are there trails below 5th station I can do?

There's a trail that goes partway around the mountain at the Fuji Subaru 5th station:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/spot/natuscen/the5thstationofmtfuji.html

I didn't realize that you need a reservation to go to Akiba Fukuro until we got there today. We made an appointment there for Friday. I hope it's cute.

By the way, my girlfriend has a shellfish allergy and it definitely sucks. We got miso soup and after one sip she starts to turn bright red and get tongue swelling. It turns out, the bottom was filled with clams.

Top Bottom