• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Would you guys recommend Universal Studios Japan? And if so, what/where I should get tickets and those fast passes or similar tickets?

Seeing how the MonHun thing is gone, I am interested on some of the Harry Potter attractions. Besides those, anything I should watch for, or should I skip USJ for something better?

Mike, you are too helpful you know ^_^ You are almost too good for the likes of this thread.

No problem!

Would you guys recommend Universal Studios Japan? And if so, what/where I should get tickets and those fast passes or similar tickets?

Seeing how the MonHun thing is gone, I am interested on some of the Harry Potter attractions. Besides those, anything I should watch for, or should I skip USJ for something better?

Look one post above yours about where to get tickets :p

Take a look at the attractions list and see if it's something for you:
http://www.usj.co.jp/e/attraction/

ccbfan

My wife and I are going to be in Tokyo Nov 8 to Nov 11.

Whats a good neighborhood to be in if your main interest is food?

Darksol

Honestly -- all of them :p

But Shibuya, Shinjuku, and Harajuku are especially popular. Shin-Okubo (near Shinjuku) has a lot of great Korean places too.

KillGore

So does anyone have any experience with airbnb? This is the first time I've actually looked into it and it seems like a very cheap option. Still, not sure how it works or how I feel being in a stranger's home.

Edit: Does the website give only a vague location to where the house is located? All I see is a blue circle but not a specific area

Anony

So does anyone have any experience with airbnb? This is the first time I've actually looked into it and it seems like a very cheap option. Still, not sure how it works or how I feel being in a stranger's home.

Edit: Does the website give only a vague location to where the house is located? All I see is a blue circle but not a specific area

you get the area, when u pay, u will see the exact address

done airbnb twice, once in tokyo, once in montreal, both were nice places
will be my third and fourth time at hong kong and tokyo

of course it's a leap of faith when doing something like this, talk with the user and ask if u have questions

I'm staying in an apartment rented via airbnb, and everything's been fine so far. I'll be here for 3 months.

SKINNER!

Banned
Missing Japan already :( Wanting to go either in Dec or at least in April next year. It's true what they say, you never get bored of the country.

Yeah, all of them. Shinjuku is my personal favourite. Loads of nice places and you got piss alley there. I also recommend Takadanobaba if you're on a budget. It's a student neighborhood with decent places to eat at reasonable prices.

I wonder if I should go to Universal Studios. Not the kind of person to go to an amusement park by myself though. Seems weird.

Depends on what you're going into it for. My GF wanted to go because of Harry Potter world and I tagged along just to see what it's like. Ended up doing all the rides and having a blast. Pretty decent HP merch there too. I mean, it's a theme park so there isn't anything spectacular about it but if you want to have fun riding rollercoasters with your favorite comic and movie characters then you can't go wrong. If you're going to it for the sake of going to a theme park then I'd avoid.

Pro-tips: Spiderman and Harry Potter rides were the most popular so if you are interested in them then I'd recommend you dashing to them first and get it out of the way. You can use your express ticket on Spiderman but not Harry Potter (unless you pay for a better ticket I think). Same might apply to the Jurassic Park ride as that was closed when I visited it. The Back To The Future and Space Fantasy rides queue lines were very short (5 min wait) and I recommend you checking them out. GF and I enjoyed Space Fantasy so much that we went on it 3 times in a row within an hour
and proceeded to feel sick afterwards haha.
Hollywood Dream rollercoaster is worth it but queue lines are the worst (1+ hour wait) so best to use an express ticket for that. Avoid the Terminator 2 3D one as it's merely a theatrical/3D short movie show with Japanese dub. The 3D effects are pretty good though.

SteaG

4. My Partner suggested me to visit Shinjuku Ni-Chome and just lurk around. He really likes underwear and I plan to find some shops so I can get him some goodies. Is the area like, say, Mexico City's Pink Zone [Zona Rosa] or Toronto's Gay Village? [Lots of LGBT+ bar/clubs, sex shops and others]. Should I avoid the area? Nightlife-wise I know my limits and my street-smartness, but I am willing to listen to whatever you guys also can bring in.
Yes, Shinjuku Ni-Chome is an area packed with tons of LGBT bars (most of them very tiny), a few shops, etc. It's a very safe area, quite far from Kabukicho.
If you go to Osaka, you can also consider spending some time in Doyama (which is maybe more like a a mix between Kabukicho and Ni-chome, but still safe).
If you have more questions about Ni-Chome or Doyama, feel free to ask!

Last time we were here, my girlfriend got a nasty sinus cold. This time it was my turn but I nipped it in the bud by taking Stona. That stuff kicks ass.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'm heading to Tokyo and Kyoto in November, with the focus on autumn foliage photography. Obviously Kyoto is very well known for this and I expect crowds to be insane. Anything major I'm missing from this itinerary?

Day 0:
-Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto, arriving around noon probably
-Chill day, will be getting my bearings, planning on burnt ramen, visiting some of the shopping streets like Shinbashi, Pondocho, Shijo, Nishiki Market
-Not sure if it's worth visiting Nijo castle but it'll be in the vicinity
-Evening illuminations: Eikando, Nanenji, Kodaiji, or Chion-in (which is the best?)

Day 1:
Kinkakuji, Ryoan Temple, then Arashiyama to see the bamboo forest, Tenryuji, Togetsukyo Bridge. I know the monkey zoo is in the area but I'm not too interested, will probably skip it
-Evening illuminations: Kitano Tenmangu?

Day 2:
Philosopher's Walk day starting at Ginkakuji and walking south through Honen-in, Eikando, Keage Incline, Yasaka Shrine, Higashiyama streets, Kiyomizu
Evening illuminations: Kiyomizu

Day 3
Fushimi-Inari, Tofukuji, maybe Sanjusangendo and then back to Tokyo

Tokyo isn't as well known for fall foliage but are there good spots there too?

Anony

now that's i've scrapped my mt fuji and biking plans,
I'm planning for real now, this is my base plan:

1 day for ikebukuro
1 day for shinjuku
1 day for odaiba
1 day for shibuya
3 days akiba/asakusa

in no particular order
now i just need to fill up what to do on each day

inafking

You can order online here, that's what I did:
http://www.usj.co.jp/ticket/

Use google translate or something to help you.

If you order the DisneySea tickets online, then you don't need to waste time standing in line to buy tickets.

Hi Mike, I've a question: Is the Royal Studio Pass the one that lets you ride on all attractions without waits including the Harry Potter ones? (ロイヤル・スタジオ・パス, it costs 20760 JPY, oof!)

I've read that there are express passes for certain attractions, like the Harry Potter and Halloween ones, but I don't know if I also need to buy some sort of admission ticket apart from these. (The 1 day studio pass one is the admission ticket, right?)

Also, I read that express passes are not available for Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays and public holidays, right?

I hope you can help me with these doubts!
Thanks in advance!

I'm heading to Tokyo and Kyoto in November, with the focus on autumn foliage photography. Obviously Kyoto is very well known for this and I expect crowds to be insane. Anything major I'm missing from this itinerary?

Day 0:
-Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto, arriving around noon probably
-Chill day, will be getting my bearings, planning on burnt ramen, visiting some of the shopping streets like Shinbashi, Pondocho, Shijo, Nishiki Market
-Not sure if it's worth visiting Nijo castle but it'll be in the vicinity
-Evening illuminations: Eikando, Nanenji, Kodaiji, or Chion-in (which is the best?)

Day 1:
Kinkakuji, Ryoan Temple, then Arashiyama to see the bamboo forest, Tenryuji, Togetsukyo Bridge. I know the monkey zoo is in the area but I'm not too interested, will probably skip it
-Evening illuminations: Kitano Tenmangu?

Day 2:
Philosopher's Walk day starting at Ginkakuji and walking south through Honen-in, Eikando, Keage Incline, Yasaka Shrine, Higashiyama streets, Kiyomizu
Evening illuminations: Kiyomizu

Day 3
Fushimi-Inari, Tofukuji, maybe Sanjusangendo and then back to Tokyo

Tokyo isn't as well known for fall foliage but are there good spots there too?

Tokyo itself no but plenty of places doable as day trips from Tokyo will have some nice trees. Mt. Takao as already suggested, plus Nikko and I think Hakone too.

Hi Mike, I've a question: Is the Royal Studio Pass the one that lets you ride on all attractions without waits including the Harry Potter ones? (ロイヤル・スタジオ・パス, it costs 20760 JPY, oof!)

I've read that there are express passes for certain attractions, like the Harry Potter and Halloween ones, but I don't know if I also need to buy some sort of admission ticket apart from these. (The 1 day studio pass one is the admission ticket, right?)

Also, I read that express passes are not available for Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays and public holidays, right?

I hope you can help me with these doubts!
Thanks in advance!

It will let you ride all the normal attractions including Harry Potter, but not the Halloween ones.

The Royal Studio Pass includes a 1 day pass. The other express passes does not.

Express passes are sold for every day. You'll have to choose a day from a calendar and you'll see right there and then if they're sold out or it's a blackout date.

You can order online here, that's what I did:
http://www.usj.co.jp/ticket/

Use google translate or something to help you.

If you order the DisneySea tickets online, then you don't need to waste time standing in line to buy tickets.
Hey Mike, just checking with the Universal one, its asking for a Japanese address, I'm going to be ok if I just fudge it with a fake address or is there some way to put in a non Japanese address?

Hey Mike, just checking with the Universal one, its asking for a Japanese address, I'm going to be ok if I just fudge it with a fake address or is there some way to put in a non Japanese address?

Just use your hotels address or something. As long as you order the QR code tickets it shouldn't be a problem since you get a QR code pdf you just print out (or bring on your smartphone). Ordering the park exchange should be fine too, but then you'd need to stand in line to pick up your tickets at the park when you get there which is a waste of time. Just don't choose the home delivery option, cause then you'd be screwed :p

Darksol

哲学の道 (tetsugaku no michi) is awesome. I'm happy to see that's on your list of things to do! If you get lucky, there's an old man that frequently draws local Kyoto landscapes around that area. You can buy postcard sized prints or even some of his original work.

If you keep following the path there's also a few shops. The walk itself is lovely -- you can follow a waterline down most of the path.

As for Ginkakuji, it's absolutely beautiful. Also, there's a ton of forests and trees nearby, so you'll definitely be able to get some nice shots.

Just use your hotels address or something. As long as you order the QR code tickets it shouldn't be a problem since you get a QR code pdf you just print out (or bring on your smartphone). Ordering the park exchange should be fine too, but then you'd need to stand in line to pick up your tickets at the park when you get there which is a waste of time. Just don't choose the home delivery option, cause then you'd be screwed :p
Awesomely awesome ^_^

KillGore

What sites are you using for purchasing a JR Pass? I'm afraid of buying it from a fake site. The list shown in the OP doesn't work well for me. None of them ship to Puerto Rico...so yeah.

Stuart444

I only found out about that site because it appeared in the adverts at the top of GAF after a few hours of searching Japan-related things haha.

KillGore

$1400? How the hell is it that much?

As for whether they're legit, they sent me stuff and they look pretty legit.

Oh, it'll be four of us. So we need 4 JR tickets. They are one per person, right?

I only found out about that site because it appeared in the adverts at the top of GAF after a few hours of searching Japan-related things haha.

Every single site I use only has JR Pass ads now lol

Edit: Thanks mike!

At OSL airport now. Going on my 4th trip to Japan!

CP0mw-EU8AADyWj.jpg

KillGore

At OSL airport now. Going on my 4th trip to Japan!

CP0mw-EU8AADyWj.jpg

Have a great trip. Thanks for all your help.

I'm sure you guys already know about this site, but I found it while searching on google. Trip Hobo is a site that can create travel plans for you, the important thing is that it shows how long a certain attraction takes you. I think it's really helpful.

First of all, THANK YOU EVERYONE for the help I have been getting these past weeks to make this itinerary... I have been reading left and right across all topics and ideas and I think that this is pretty much final unless you guys can suggest something else in this schedule.

Here is the Schedule: http://i.imgur.com/e4ZOzaC.png
And here is the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zBE4tV1qHJD4.kjEJGfIotbzg&usp=sharing

So let me know if theres anything else I should add or see while I am there [Looking forward to the halloween events!].

Anony

First of all, THANK YOU EVERYONE for the help I have been getting these past weeks to make this itinerary... I have been reading left and right across all topics and ideas and I think that this is pretty much final unless you guys can suggest something else in this schedule.

Here is the Schedule: http://i.imgur.com/e4ZOzaC.png
And here is the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zBE4tV1qHJD4.kjEJGfIotbzg&usp=sharing

So let me know if theres anything else I should add or see while I am there [Looking forward to the halloween events!].

how'd you do this on google maps, i should make one myself

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
1) Any English websites that are like Yelp for Japanese city restaurant reviews (particularly Tokyo)? I realize Yelp itself has some Japan content but it's not as well populated compared to U.S. cities

2) Will I get into trouble if I fly a drone / quadcopter in Tokyo? Obviously I'll be following good practice guidelines, not fly above a crowd of people, etc. I have been able to find some Tokyo footage so hopefully it's not entirely forbidden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrEvSVFafWs

dani_dc

2) Will I get into trouble if I fly a drone / quadcopter in Tokyo? Obviously I'll be following good practice guidelines, not fly above a crowd of people, etc. I have been able to find some Tokyo footage so hopefully it's not entirely forbidden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrEvSVFafWs

Flying a drone is forbidden in Japan without proper authorization, and getting authorization is not trivial.

We've worked with drones at my work and this has been a roadblock to test any applications we try to create for drones.

Hey folks :) Does anyone know when the Cassiopeia sleeper train stops running? I was hoping it might be an option for going from Tokyo to Sapporo for the snow festival in February as flight prices have already skyrocketed. I have a feeling it'll shut down in the next few months, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Thanks!

posting here since I think it's more appropriate:
So, in a couple of days I'll be leaving for Japan. I'll stay there for 3 weeks, and in the first two I'll do homestay in Ito, near Tokyo. Does anyone here know the place? Is it nice?
I'm really excited but I've never done anything like this before. Also my japanase is rubbish. Any general advice, gaf?
I should also add that it will be my first time in Japan.

Hey folks :) Does anyone know when the Cassiopeia sleeper train stops running? I was hoping it might be an option for going from Tokyo to Sapporo for the snow festival in February as flight prices have already skyrocketed. I have a feeling it'll shut down in the next few months, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Thanks!

It'll be discontinued in March next year. It's really hard to get tickets though, and with it now shutting down February tickets will probably sell out amazingly fast to train enthusiasts that wants to ride it one last time. It also only runs 3 days a week.

It'll be discontinued in March next year. It's really hard to get tickets though, and with it now shutting down February tickets will probably sell out amazingly fast to train enthusiasts that wants to ride it one last time. It also only runs 3 days a week.

Ah well, not this time then :) Should really have flown in/out before and after the snow festival and just stumped up the money for a hotel. Thanks Mike :)

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Flying a drone is forbidden in Japan without proper authorization, and getting authorization is not trivial.

We've worked with drones at my work and this has been a roadblock to test any applications we try to create for drones.

orz

Well, that saves me the trouble of lugging my quadcopter around on my trip

Top Bottom