• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Stuart444

You know it's very hard to find out info on what medication isn't allowed to be taken into Japan. I have quite a few (Tablets for my skin, benadryl for allergies, steroid eye drops, skin cream, etc) and most places just list examples of banned things making me wonder if I'm going to have issues at the airport :/

scarlet

You know it's very hard to find out info on what medication isn't allowed to be taken into Japan. I have quite a few (Tablets for my skin, benadryl for allergies, steroid eye drops, skin cream, etc) and most places just list examples of banned things making me wonder if I'm going to have issues at the airport :/

I always bring a lot of medication and tbh I never checked it, but I never had any problems.

I will need some medicine brought with me, but it doesn't appear to be restricted in my case. Well, I can't bring codeine but I don't need those anymore, luckily.

Hey, I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure this out:

I'm flying into Haneda airport on the Saturday the 19th. I need to get a sim card for my iPhone 5S. It looks like the Haneda airport post office is closed on weekends. As far as i can tell, renting a sim card from SoftBank seems like my best option.

Here's the other thing, I basically need the sim card for like a week as I'm moving to the country. So as far returning the sim card goes, I won't be returning it to the counter in the airport. Instead, I'd be mailing it back to the Tokyo offices as they request on their website.

As a foreigner that has absolutely no experience mailing something in Japan, is this easily done? I was hoping to just drop off the sim card at a local SoftBank store in Odawara when I sign up for an actual Japanese phone plan there, but I guess that's not an option, at least I don't see it as an option on the site.

Some of these questions are probably stupid, but I'd really like to know what I'm doing before hand so that I have less to worry about during my first week. Thanks in advance!

Zatoth

While in Japan I sent some packages home and also one to a friend in Japan. Was never a problem. In the post office in Sapporo nobody spoke English. But I was still able to successfully send my package.

Hey, I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure this out:

I'm flying into Haneda airport on the Saturday the 19th. I need to get a sim card for my iPhone 5S. It looks like the Haneda airport post office is closed on weekends. As far as i can tell, renting a sim card from SoftBank seems like my best option.

Here's the other thing, I basically need the sim card for like a week as I'm moving to the country.
So as far returning the sim card goes, I won't be returning it to the counter in the airport. Instead, I'd be mailing it back to the Tokyo offices as they request on their website.

As a foreigner that has absolutely no experience mailing something in Japan, is this easily done? I was hoping to just drop off the sim card at a local SoftBank store in Odawara when I sign up for an actual Japanese phone plan there, but I guess that's not an option, at least I don't see it as an option on the site.

Some of these questions are probably stupid, but I'd really like to know what I'm doing before hand so that I have less to worry about during my first week. Thanks in advance!

I don't understand what you mean by the bolded.

Can't you just get to a Yodibashi camera and buy a traveler sim to cover your week? That's what I did, seems to work well. Maybe others have better strategies.

OrochiJR

I'll be leaving in two weeks for a two week vacation to Japan. My main stays will be in Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya.

I already visited Tokyo two years ago and checked out Akihabara thoroughly. I got the impression that the Taito Hey arcade was pretty much the best one when it comes to fighting games in Akihabara, is that correct? What would be some other good arcades to check out in Tokyo?

Also, are there still some good gaming shops in Tokyo that are not yet raided empty by tourists? Any recommendations?

As for Osaka I'm covered I think, since I'll be meeting up with a friend who lived there for a while.

Nagoya on the other hand will be a completely new experience for me. I have yet to decide what kind of tourist-y stuff I will be doing in the three days I'm there. Any recommendations on what I should be doing in and around the city?

Also are there any good gaming related places I should visit in Nagoya? Good arcades/ shops?

SKINNER!

Banned
Otaru canal

Yeah, I've been. You could do a day trip to Otaru and check out all the glass works and music boxes they sell there. There's also Noboribetsu where you can check out the hell valley with the volcanic activity and hot springs. If you're just interested in hot springs then Jozankei is closer to Sapporo though. I also went to the Asahiyama Zoo where I checked out the neat penguin glass tunnel on a day trip.

Of other big cities you could check out Hakodate where there's lots of western influenced buildings like Fort Goryokaku, the old British consulate, the old Hakodate public hall (they sometimes have concerts or other music performances there in the weekends) and the Russian orthodox church (didn't visit that one myself though). They also got a reconstruction of the former magistrate office inside Fort Goryokaku if you're more interested in Japanese buildings. And there's a pretty nice night view from Mount Hakodate.

You could also do a stop at Aomori if you want to check out the Nebuta Warasse museum and see some of the paper floats they use for the Nebuta Matsuri festival.

Oh, and check out the pictures I took in the Fall 2015 album in the OP ;P

Cheers guys :D I'll take a look at your pics Mike :)

SKINNER!

Banned
So far, we're planning on spending a night at an airbnb near Narita airport and then take a flight the next morning to Hokkaido and stay there for 2 nights. Coming back, we were thinking of taking the train back and stopping at certain stops on the way.

One problem though :( We were planning on keeping our suitcases in Narita when we fly to Hokkaido but if we come back to Tokyo by train then it'll be a pain to go all the way back to Narita just to pick them up. Can't be bothered carrying luggage around when we arrive there and back. We're considering packing light and then buying a big suitcase when we leave but I dunno...Wish there was an easier solution ha :)

I already visited Tokyo two years ago and checked out Akihabara thoroughly. I got the impression that the Taito Hey arcade was pretty much the best one when it comes to fighting games in Akihabara, is that correct? What would be some other good arcades to check out in Tokyo?

Also, are there still some good gaming shops in Tokyo that are not yet raided empty by tourists? Any recommendations?

Nagoya on the other hand will be a completely new experience for me. I have yet to decide what kind of tourist-y stuff I will be doing in the three days I'm there. Any recommendations on what I should be doing in and around the city?

Check out the arcade guide on mmcafe:
http://www.mmcafe.com/arcadeguide/

Might be slightly outdated though, so make sure to check if the places are still there :p

Could always check out the gaming floor/shop in Mandarake Akihabara/Nakano.

Check out Nagoya castle at least.

Zoe

So far, we're planning on spending a night at an airbnb near Narita airport and then take a flight the next morning to Hokkaido and stay there for 2 nights. Coming back, we were thinking of taking the train back and stopping at certain stops on the way.

One problem though :( We were planning on keeping our suitcases in Narita when we fly to Hokkaido but if we come back to Tokyo by train then it'll be a pain to go all the way back to Narita just to pick them up. Can't be bothered carrying luggage around when we arrive there and back. We're considering packing light and then buying a big suitcase when we leave but I dunno...Wish there was an easier solution ha :)

Look into Yamato Takkyubin. You can have your luggage forwarded to your final destination.

Contact your local consulate if you have any questions about medications and any regulations you'd have to follow in Japan. Some things are considered controlled substances over there that you'd never think of, and require doctor's notes far in advance.

Stuart444

Contact your local consulate if you have any questions about medications and any regulations you'd have to follow in Japan. Some things are considered controlled substances over there that you'd never think of, and require doctor's notes far in advance.

I would but their websites are rather crap (both the general UK one and the Edinburgh one listed on the website) making it hard to find general contact info :/

daegan

I'll be leaving in two weeks for a two week vacation to Japan. My main stays will be in Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya.

As for Osaka I'm covered I think, since I'll be meeting up with a friend who lived there for a while.

Also are there any good gaming related places I should visit in Nagoya? Good arcades/ shops?

Haven't been yet - mytripisnextmonthohmygod - but Chris Kohler, collector and games writer (who posts here as Kobun Heat) wrote this not long ago: http://www.chriskohler.biz/retro-game-shops-japan/

cj_iwakura

Starting to feel like it's do or die in regards to April... I don't feel like it'll ever be cheaper than that. Haven't seen the prices change one iota since that massive spike.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Starting to feel like it's do or die in regards to April... I don't feel like it'll ever be cheaper than that. Haven't seen the prices change one iota since that massive spike.

JAL had a discount for tickets if you purchased between feb 1-16 and did an online survey for trips to the end of may.

aOlafsson

Neo Member
Going to Japan for the first time in 12 days. I am super excited.

Had a couple of questions that I was hoping someone could help me with

1) A friend and I are going there but we are coming from different countries. We both land at Haneda airport within 30 minutes of each other (if the airline sticks to their schedule). I was wondering whether anyone has been to Haneda and knows whether it would be relatively easy for us to meet up either by the exit or near the baggage claim? Or is the airport too big/too many terminals for this to me as simple as saying meet by the exit.

2) We have 1 week JR Passes and are leaving Tokyo from Friday to Friday. Does the pass last only from a Friday to midnight Thursday or would it work for the whole week?

1) A friend and I are going there but we are coming from different countries. We both land at Haneda airport within 30 minutes of each other (if the airline sticks to their schedule). I was wondering whether anyone has been to Haneda and knows whether it would be relatively easy for us to meet up either by the exit or near the baggage claim? Or is the airport too big/too many terminals for this to me as simple as saying meet by the exit.

2) We have 1 week JR Passes and are leaving Tokyo from Friday to Friday. Does the pass last only from a Friday to midnight Thursday or would it work for the whole week?

1 There's 3 terminals, so you need to agree on where to meet in which terminal. At the information booth on a specific floor in whatever terminal you choose might be good (most likely you'll both arrive at the international terminal?). There's a free shuttle bus that goes between the terminals.

2 It lasts until midnight Thursday. (If you're on a train at midnight it lasts till you get off)

u_neek

I landed in Fukuoka last night after having spent just over two weeks in Okinawa. I'm in Kyushu for about a week (4 nights in Fukuoka and 3 in Kagoshima) - any suggestions on day trips and must-see places are much welcome - my current plan is to see Nagasaki, Sasebo and possibly Beppu.

Oh, and if anybody's interested, I will update my Instagram regularly HERE

Same for me !

Me three. :eek:

I've never really travelled before in my life. My friends had discussed a Euro trip this summer but I don't know if it's going to happen. I told myself I had to travel somewhere overseas this year, just to finally destroy that mental block (I wouldn't say it's a full blown fear, but flying definitely gives me nerves), so on a complete whim I've booked a short trip to Tokyo. I'll be there in two weeks and I'm basically trying not to think about it right now haha.

I got a couple quick questions for the thread:

How up to date and reliable is the info in the OP? I'm wondering specifically what my best option will be getting from Narita to Tokyo. Any opinions on N'ex vs Skyliner? I don't see the discount for N'ex mentioned in the OP and they both look to be about the same right now (price, travel time, etc.).

Also, getting online with my phone... I've read a couple things about this. If I grab a sim card from b-mobile, for example, I should have it sent to the airport? Or is it easy enough to just buy something at the airport? And if I'm worried about phone compatibility, should I just get one of those pocket wifi things? (Please note: I'm not very tech savvy.)

How up to date and reliable is the info in the OP? I'm wondering specifically what my best option will be getting from Narita to Tokyo. Any opinions on N'ex vs Skyliner? I don't see the discount for N'ex mentioned in the OP and they both look to be about the same right now (price, travel time, etc.).

Also, getting online with my phone... I've read a couple things about this. If I grab a sim card from b-mobile, for example, I should have it sent to the airport? Or is it easy enough to just buy something at the airport? And if I'm worried about phone compatibility, should I just get one of those pocket wifi things? (Please note: I'm not very tech savvy.)

Not very updated. What train you should take from Narita airport to Tokyo depends on where you're staying, for how long you're there and which airport you'll be leaving from.

Pocket WiFi is much better IMHO. You get much more data, it's in a lot of cases cheaper to rent and you don't need to worry about phone compatibility.

Not very updated. What train you should take from Narita airport to Tokyo depends on where you're staying, for how long you're there and which airport you'll be leaving from.

I'm staying in Roppongi, I'm there for five days, and I'm heading back the way I came via Narita. Advice is appreciated!

Pocket WiFi is much better IMHO. You get much more data, it's in a lot of cases cheaper to rent and you don't need to worry about phone compatibility.

I may do that then, thanks!

I'm staying in Roppongi, I'm there for five days, and I'm heading back the way I came via Narita. Advice is appreciated!

Is Roppongi station the closest station to wherever you're staying? Then the easiest way to get there is with the Skyliner to Ueno and then switch to the Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line there to Roppongi.

Getting this Skyliner Return Trip + 3 day Tokyo Subway package should most likely pay off:
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/value_ticket/subway.php

You need to take the subway more than 6 times in those 3 days for it to pay off.

Stuart444

And that is my currency ordered and should arrive before 1pm tomorrow. Probably way more than I need for a 2 weeks stay (300+k yen) but better safe than sorry.

All I need to do now is contact the embassy which I'll do after I sort out all the medication I am taking so I can run it by them.

And after that, I think we'll be home free and ready to enjoy our holiday :D

PLEASE no cancellation or major 5+ hour flight delays ;_;

hwalker84

I landed in Fukuoka last night after having spent just over two weeks in Okinawa. I'm in Kyushu for about a week (4 nights in Fukuoka and 3 in Kagoshima) - any suggestions on day trips and must-see places are much welcome - my current plan is to see Nagasaki, Sasebo and possibly Beppu.

Go to the Yatai at night in Fukuoka. Make sure to eat a LOT!!! All I do in Fukuoka is party and eat. Maybe that's why it's one of my favorite cities in Japan.

aOlafsson

Neo Member
1 There's 3 terminals, so you need to agree on where to meet in which terminal. At the information booth on a specific floor in whatever terminal you choose might be good (most likely you'll both arrive at the international terminal?). There's a free shuttle bus that goes between the terminals.

2 It lasts until midnight Thursday. (If you're on a train at midnight it lasts till you get off)

Thanks!

Yeah we're both arriving at the international terminal. Guess I'll have to look into that a bit more before we go. Thanks for the note on the JR Pass we'll activate it on saturday in that case, gets the most value doing that.

sCHOCOLATE

Jigoku Megguri. Don't miss it!

SKINNER!

Banned
What's the fastest Pocket WiFi carrier? Do you just leave it on all the time?

I presume so. No idea as I used the docomo data sim card the last time and that was perfect for coverage.

Since this is neogaf and all, does anyone have any recommendations on decent places to buy retro videos? I'm not talking about Super Potato and any tourist spots on Akiba but like lesser known places where good deals can be found. e.g. I was shocked to see that Book-Off in Shibuya were selling old nintendo consoles for dirt cheap. Famicom and Super famicoms. Just had a massive pile of them in a bargain bin. I was hesitant to pick any up as I don't know how to get them to work in the UK but - fuck - do I regret not picking one up now. I'm thinking of hunting for some cool unique gameboy pockets...or possibly a gameboy light if they don't cost like crazy money haha.

So yeah Japan-GAF, know any cool spots in Japan (Kyoto?) to pick up cheap cool video game stuff?

feel free to PM if you don't want to say publicly in case outsiders who lurk this page will expose the place and spoil the fun for everyone.

I presume so. No idea as I used the docomo data sim card the last time and that was perfect for coverage.

Since this is neogaf and all, does anyone have any recommendations on decent places to buy retro videos? I'm not talking about Super Potato and any tourist spots on Akiba but like lesser known places where good deals can be found. e.g. I was shocked to see that Book-Off in Shibuya were selling old nintendo consoles for dirt cheap. Famicom and Super famicoms. Just had a massive pile of them in a bargain bin. I was hesitant to pick any up as I don't know how to get them to work in the UK but - fuck - do I regret not picking one up now. I'm thinking of hunting for some cool unique gameboy pockets...or possibly a gameboy light if they don't cost like crazy money haha.

So yeah Japan-GAF, know any cool spots in Japan (Kyoto?) to pick up cheap cool video game stuff?

feel free to PM if you don't want to say publicly in case outsiders who lurk this page will expose the place and spoil the fun for everyone.

The really good stuff is at recycle shops in the suburbs and exurbs. Places that tourists don't take the time to go to.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Are there posts in this thread that discuss five days in the Kyoto area? I'm looking to spend a day in Osaka and another in Kobe. I'm happy to search the thread since I bet there's tons of info here.

I hope cherry blossoms are there next week.

Are there posts in this thread that discuss five days in the Kyoto area? I'm looking to spend a day in Osaka and another in Kobe. I'm happy to search the thread since I bet there's tons of info here.

I hope cherry blossoms are there next week.

Well, there's plenty of posts with info about what do to and where to go while in Kyoto and Osaka at least.

And some cherry blossoms will probably be there next weekend. Will look better the week after though :p

Gritesh

So me and my wife are here right now it's our second day. We are staying in shinjuku ATM.

Anyways we did some shopping yesterday and everyone in the stores is greating us but I have no idea what they are saying and feel extremely rude for not acknowledging them.

We don't speak Japanese past the basics and whatever they are saying isn't any of the basics.

Can anyone help us out?

So me and my wife are here right now it's our second day. We are staying in shinjuku ATM.

Anyways we did some shopping yesterday and everyone in the stores is greating us but I have no idea what they are saying and feel extremely rude for not acknowledging them.

We don't speak Japanese past the basics and whatever they are saying isn't any of the basics.

Can anyone help us out?

They're saying Irasshaimase I guess? You're not supposed to respond. You could nod at them if they're actually looking at you when saying it.

Gritesh

Yes that's it.

I'm Canadian and while it's a stereotype that we are polite, I really do hold high the value of politeness so I guess the Canadian in me feels terribad when not acknowledging someone who acknowledges me.

Thank you, I should have known that but I just couldn't make out quite what they were saying mostly because it comes out so fast.

Thanks again

Yes that's it.

I'm Canadian and while it's a stereotype that we are polite, I really do hold high the value of politeness so I guess the Canadian in me feels terribad when not acknowledging someone who acknowledges me.

Thank you, I should have known that but I just couldn't make out quite what they were saying mostly because it comes out so fast.

Thanks again

Eh, it's just something people who work in stores are trained to say. If you walk into some convenience stores they just shout it out whenever they hear the door opening sound without even looking. In some cases I've seen 4-5 people shouting it at the same time while they're busy stocking shelves and doing other such stuff.

Top Bottom