• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There better be cherry blossoms in Kyoto this week :/

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Starting opening in 2 days.
Perfect timing. But I guess I won't see them in full bloom. Oh well. Plum blossoms, right? Heh.

I'm excited to eat real ramen again. Finally. I missed it so much. And real kobe beef in Kobe.

cj_iwakura

Congrats! Hopefully you'll still catch the cherry blossoms.

Hopefully. I arrive at Narita at around 2PM Sunday, and my hotel's at Shinagawa(about a block west of the aquarium). Anywhere I should beeline it to? I don't plan on leaving Tokyo, since I only have like five days.
Guess who's luggage didn't make it on to the connecting flight?
That's right, some weirdo that looks like me ;)

This is why I never, EVER check my luggage. I travel light.

Bullza2o

I'm slightly confused with last year's sakura kaika (opening) and mankai (full bloom) trends. It said Kyoto's opening was on 03/27 but the full bloom was on 04/01. This year kaika should be 03/24-25 but mankai is projected to be 04/02. I checked tenki.jp and it seems the temperature will drop for the most part this week --could this cold front be the reason why mankai is later than last year's?

Maybe I'm overanalyzing this, but I'm just worried I might miss full bloom when I visit Arashiyama on 04/04, then Kyoto on 04/06-07. :(

Hopefully. I arrive at Narita at around 2PM Sunday, and my hotel's at Shinagawa(about a block west of the aquarium). Anywhere I should beeline it to? I don't plan on leaving Tokyo, since I only have like five days.
Maybe Shinjuku Gyoen would still have some sakura trees at full bloom. Just take the Yamanote line.

Bboy AJ

Yo this JR Rail pass line in Kansai is ridiculously long.

openrob

Sorry to hear that.
Hopefully you'll get it soon

That's like my worst nightmare

Oh and I just lost my wallet
images

I must have subconsciously anticipated this because this morning I left one of my bank cards where I am staying 'just in case'. Thank goodness I did.

On a plus note, I just had an amazing walk through Yoyogi park/Meji shrine, and currently looking for some cheap grub in Harajuku

scarlet

Conversely, has anybody used Japan-Wireless? It's linked in the OP, I was wondering if anbody has any experience or could compare the two.

I was leaning globaladvanced, but Japan-Wireless seems to have better deals atm.

I used JW 2 years ago. Both were great IMO. But IIRC Japan wireless is cheaper and you don't have to pay for the stamp

Perfect timing. But I guess I won't see them in full bloom. Oh well. Plum blossoms, right? Heh.

I'm excited to eat real ramen again. Finally. I missed it so much. And real kobe beef in Kobe.

Looks like they opened even earlier than expected aka today. So if you're there on Sunday it should be quite good.

Conversely, has anybody used Japan-Wireless? It's linked in the OP, I was wondering if anbody has any experience or could compare the two.

I was leaning globaladvanced, but Japan-Wireless seems to have better deals atm.

I used JW 2 years ago. Both were great IMO. But IIRC Japan wireless is cheaper and you don't have to pay for the stamp

I've used tocoo the last three times I've been since they're cheapest for unlimited data.

Bboy AJ

I can confirm cherry blossoms opened literally today. I can also confirm they were awaiting my arrival before blooming. You're welcome, Kyoto.

Gritesh

Yep me and my wife were out walking about today in Kyoto and can confirm they are blooming today.

Made for a great day of taking photographs.

Fisico

Hi everyone,

I'll be going for my 4th trip in Japan in a few months and this time we decided to go a bit more south visit Kyushu and stay in Fukuoka, however I still need to check what we could do once there so if you have any suggestion that would be welcome

For now we've only planned to go to Huis Ten Bosch which looks pretty fun

Stuart444

Hi everyone,

I'll be going for my 4th trip in Japan in a few months and this time we decided to go a bit more south visit Kyushu and stay in Fukuoka, however I still need to check what we could do once there so if you have any suggestion that would be welcome

For now we've only planned to go to Huis Ten Bosch which looks pretty fun

There is a pretty good Canadian YTer who lives in Fukuoka and has some good videos on her channel which might help:

Her Playlists

Playlist: ALL ABOUT FUKUOKA

Have a look around and see if it helps!

Forkball

Hey guys, I plan on going to Kyushu for twoish weeks this summer. I basically just want to go sightseeing. I've been to Japan a few times, but never Kyushu. I think I'm fairly well prepared, but I just wanted to hear some GAFfer opinions. Any tips or suggestions for getting the most out of the island? Off the path suggestions? Any famous places that should actually be avoided?

cj_iwakura

Any recommended offline map apps? I've been going through the ones on google, and most of them suck. Trying one called 'smart maps offline' now. I wouldn't be too worried, except the area of Shinagawa I'm in seems pretty dense.

openrob

In regards to Internet, has anyone used B Mobile visitor SIM?

¥2,204 = Unlimited (slow) internet for 14 days.

Any recommended offline map apps? I've been going through the ones on google, and most of them suck. Trying one called 'smart maps offline' now. I wouldn't be too worried, except the area of Shinagawa I'm in seems pretty dense.

Just load up Google maps when at WiFi spots. Google maps caches the maps surprisingly well.

Oh and I just lost my wallet

It's been found! Just picked it up :D

openrob

Guess I could do that... google doesn't let you download Japanese maps, :(

Are wifi spots common at most places?

Not particularly, but most Combinis (7-11, Lawson, Family Mart, etc) have free Wi-Fi

P.s. just picked up the B Mobile sim (which the OP wrongly states must be purchased online). I got mine from Yodobashi in Akihabara, and activated it within 5 mins, and as this post demonstrates, works fine!

Could the OP be updated to mention this hwalker84?

Bboy AJ

Speaking of mobile internet, I noticed this my first trip to Japan, but the country that once was a tech pioneer is so old fashioned. It's definitely not a tech power house anymore. Shit is old here.

Bullza2o

I found this app that let's you download maps for offline use. I downloaded Kyoto, and hopefully it works. Let me know how it is if you try it :)
http://maps.me/en/home

cj_iwakura

I found this app that let's you download maps for offline use. I downloaded Kyoto, and hopefully it works. Let me know how it is if you try it :)
http://maps.me/en/home

Looks like a winner! Funny how they highlight the awful ones.

I wish my budget wasn't so tight. :( But I think I'll make the most of it. Do they have trolleys or anything like that for touring the bayshore or the rainbow bridge?

Yup, I got maps.me as well. Seems good, although it has been draining my battery. Then again I won't have it on constantly, and I'll probably make physical backup maps when I get there.

Zatoth

So my friends have been planning out our stay...was wondering if anyone had some input about our choices

April 29
- Stay in Chuo-ku until the 3rd
- Nihonbashi Bridge
- Ikaruga Ramen
- Popeye Bar

April 30 (Ueno Neighborhood)
-Kaminarion Gate Shrine
- Senso Ji Temple
- Ueno Park
- Ueno Zoo (I really dont think we should be going to a Zoo in Japan...)
- Yakitoribunraku
- Tokyo National Museum
- Tokyo Museum of Nature and Science
- Game Bar A

May 1 (Akihabara)
- Kanda Myojin Shrine
- Maid Cafes?
- Sega Arcade
- GiGo
- Super Potato
- Don Quijote
- Mandarake Complex
- Akihabra Gachapon Kaikan
- Kyushu Jangara Ramen

May 2 (Shibuya)
- Shibuya Crossing
- Ghibli Museum
- Inokashira Park
- Tokyo Skytree
- Kareoke Kan

May 3
- Basically move from our first BnB to our next one in Setagaya

May 4 (Nikko)
- Nikko Toshogu Shrine
- Futarasan Shrine
- Lake Chuzenji
- Kegon Falls

May 5
- Shinjuku again?

May 6 (Mt Fuji)
- Possibly go to Lake Ashi

And then we have May 7-10 basically free...

So my friends have been planning out our stay...was wondering if anyone had some input about our choices

April 30 (Ueno Neighborhood)
-Kaminarion Gate Shrine
- Senso Ji Temple
- Ueno Park
- Ueno Zoo (I really dont think we should be going to a Zoo in Japan...)
- Yakitoribunraku
- Tokyo National Museum
- Tokyo Museum of Nature and Science
- Game Bar A

May 1 (Akihabara)
- Kanda Myojin Shrine
- Maid Cafes?
- Sega Arcade
- GiGo
- Super Potato
- Don Quijote
- Mandarake Complex
- Akihabra Gachapon Kaikan
- Kyushu Jangara Ramen

This seems like way too much stuff to do in 2 days. Oh, and Kaminarion Gate is an entrance to Sensoji Temple, not a Shrine.

Stuart444

Finally got our Itinerary sorted. Hopefully none of this will be too much for one day. (many days I'll be getting very early starts though. I am not used to 5 - 6am wake ups haha)

I am SO excited though :D tomorrow packing, Saturday, relax, Sunday, off to Japan! :D

Monday 28th Mar:

Arrive at Narita. Sort out JR Pass, Portable Wifi.
Head to Shibuya for our FFXIV Cafe tickets from Voyagin offices
Waste time in Shibuya or Tamachi until 3pm so we can check into Hotel in Tamachi.
Have something to eat and then Crash probably.

Tuesday 29th Mar:

DisneySea

Wednesday 30th Mar:

Odaiba

Thursday 31st Mar:

Studio Ghibli Museum
Nakano Broadway
Akihabara (including GAF meet up)

Friday 1st Apr:

Ueno (Zoo, view some Cherry Blossoms)
Asakusa: Sensoji Temple, Sumida Park, Look around at shops
Tokyo Sky Tree

Saturday 2nd Apr:

Shinjuku: Look at Shops, Check out Kabukicho, check out Tokyo Gov Building
Shibuya: Hachiko Shrine, Check out Shops (including Tower Records - Thanks Digimon Story: CS)
Akihabara: FFXIV Eorzea Cafe

Sunday 3rd Apr:

Head to Osaka (note: Station we're going to is Kawachi-Kosaka. It's rather out of the way and I almost regret choosing the community hotel near here but it was cheap and there weren't many cheap hotels at the time when we booked it >.>)

Check out Dotonbori or DenDen Town depending on how much time we have

Monday 4th Apr:

Early (Awake at 5am ;_;) start
Miyajima
Hiroshima (Peace Park + Museum. Would also like to check out Shukkeien Garden but probably won't have time)

Tuesday 5th Apr:

Arashiyama: Monkey Park and Bamboo Forest
Gion
Pokemon Center, Kyoto

Wednesday 6th Apr:

Nara (half-day trip probably)
Fushimi Inari Shrine

(not much else planned for this day)

Thursday 7th Apr:

Osaka Aquarium
Wing the rest of the day

Friday 8th Apr:

Osaka Castle
DenDen Town
DotonBori

Last day in Osaka so just relaxing and looking around at shops and stuff.

Saturday 9th Apr:

Head to Shibuya where our hotel is
Check out Hikarigaoka (Saw it in Digimon Adventure, Want to see what it looks like irl lol)

Just relax (nothing planned, maybe buy stuff I didn't pick up earlier)

Sunday 10th Apr:

Sunshine City in Ikebukuro
Revisit some places probably.

Monday 11th Apr:

Goodbye Japan :(

Bullza2o

Finally got our Itinerary sorted. Hopefully none of this will be too much for one day. (many days I'll be getting very early starts though. I am not used to 5 - 6am wake ups haha)

I am SO excited though :D tomorrow packing, Saturday, relax, Sunday, off to Japan! :D
Looks like an awesome well-paced trip! I see we're in Kyoto around the same date range. I really hope we can still see the cherry blossoms in Kyoto when we go there!

No Higashiyama plans?

Stuart444

Looks like an awesome well-paced trip! I see we're in Kyoto around the same date range. I really hope we can still see the cherry blossoms in Kyoto when we go there!

No Higashiyama plans?

Well paced outside of how annoying it is to get from my hotel to other areas :p haha.

Not planned on Higashiyama but it and any other close by places will be considerations if we run out of things to do depending on day and region of course. Cherry Blossoms would be nice but I made sure to check Ueno in Tokyo (besides the Zoo) just because it's meant to be popular for Cherry Blossom viewings. Must get some good pictures of them! Still would love to see some in another area like Kyoto of course

Also on another note, we've went careful on how much money for food each day. 12,500 yen for 2 people each day. Will probably not reach that but it's just incase. (most expensive will probably be stuff like FF Cafe since we don't plan on doing any 'high class' (aka expensive) dining.

if planned correctly, I have around 106k yen for extras (buying stuff like the few games I KNOW I want, arcades, crane machines >.> I also have an addictive personality so hopefully that is enough XD)

I feel restless just typing stuff about this XD

Salamando

Any suggestions on must-eat places in Tokyo and/or Kyoto? I'm going by myself, so won't need anywhere fancy...just good and hopefully not too expensive. If all else fails I plan on sticking to standard traveller's advice of "go where the locals flock to". Or I'll use Gurunavi.

Alright fellas, I'll be getting some good money once my SXSW check rolls in, so I'm gonna start pulling money aside for my vacation next year in Japan.

What's a good amount to shoot for? I know tickets are about $1200 round trip to Japan and the U.S., so am I looking for $2500 to be comfortable??

Zoe

Alright fellas, I'll be getting some good money once my SXSW check rolls in, so I'm gonna start pulling money aside for my vacation next year in Japan.

What's a good amount to shoot for? I know tickets are about $1200 round trip to Japan and the U.S., so am I looking for $2500 to be comfortable??

For how long?

And you should be able to find tickets under $1000 from Austin.

Top Bottom