• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Zoe

2. I know this might sound ridiculous but i cannot stand fish/sushi. other then kobe beef anything else the Japanese are famous for and where can i find this?

Japanese curry. My favorite is chicken katsu curry. Look for a place like Cocoichi Curry.

ankuo

Banned
Thanks for your response.. What about the nightlife i know japan has a huge sex industry i don't need/care about that. But im curious how many Japanese women speak English and how dress code centrik are they and is it easy to pull lol?

shas'la

Thanks to everyone who has contributed in this thread. I leave myself on Wednesday (from UK) and I've been following this for months. I'll have to take a second pass tonight and catch anything I may have missed.

Agreed, it's my 6th trip this month and there are still things that are really useful to me in this thread!

scarlet

The stairs to kiyomizudera! God bless my feet and back.

Apparently there are 2 ghibli shop around here, buy a lot of stuff for me and my friends haha.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
How does travelling in Japan without a Visa work?

I see that I can be there for 90 days without a visa. Ok cool. So does that mean I can just jaunt over to Korea for 24+ hours and re-enter for another 90 days? Surely not? What's the restriction there?

I see that I can be there for 90 days without a visa. Ok cool. So does that mean I can just jaunt over to Korea for 24+ hours and re-enter for another 90 days? Surely not? What's the restriction there?

Not 100% sure but you should be able to get a re-entry permit at the airport when you leave (at least, that's how it works if you are travelling on a visa).

Not 100% sure but you should be able to get a re-entry permit at the airport when you leave (at least, that's how it works if you are travelling on a visa).

That's just for people with visas though, not tourists.

Well... If you're a temporary visitor you're not allowed to work in Japan at least.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

a lot of people in Japan used to use the "go to Korea and come back" as the life-hack to get their 90 days permitted stay back - however, the authorities have gotten a bit wiser to this recently though i suspect as long as you aren't serially abusing it then it shouldn't be an issue.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
a lot of people in Japan used to use the "go to Korea and come back" as the life-hack to get their 90 days permitted stay back - however, the authorities have gotten a bit wiser to this recently though i suspect as long as you aren't serially abusing it then it shouldn't be an issue.

Excellent.... I see it as one "get out of jail free card" just in case (and I legit have people expecting to see me in Korea - just would be nice if it reset my day count once I come back).

mr.rager

A couple of my favorite places to eat in Japan.

BtxeIBD.jpg

Pepper Lunch. they have several locations in the Tokyo area. I eat here all the time after clubbing. Sooo good. Quite cheap too. Cook your own steak and mix it with the rice. The pepper seasoning along with the butter is godly.

Gold Rush's Hamburger Steak. Not as cheap as Pepper Lunch but the food is delicious.

There's also a Ramen joint close by my brother's place in Yokohama. Best Tonkotsu ramen I've ever had.

Pepper Lunch. they have several locations in the Tokyo area. I eat here all the time after clubbing. Sooo good. Quite cheap too. Cook your own steak and mix it with the rice. The pepper seasoning along with the butter is godly.

Gold Rush's Hamburger Steak. Not as cheap as Pepper Lunch but the food is delicious.

There's also a Ramen joint close by my brother's place in Yokohama. Best Tonkotsu ramen I've ever had.

Both of these look so goddamn good. In all honesty, though, when I go to Japan in the summer the first thing I plan on doing is checking into my hotel. But the SECOND thing I plan to do is hit up a Yoshinoya.

Trojan X

Banned
Wow. THis thread went from "I'm getting so excited to go" to "I'm buzzing!" I don't blame you though as that was how I felt when I first visited Japan.

SKINNER!

Banned

YUM!! Lovin the food suggestions guys. Really wanna try out some bizarre and unique dishes in Japan. Maybe I'll create a map of Tokyo where all the great restaurants are. Anyone know a good Shabu Shabu place?

Yeah, I'm on the train from Inari.

Inari while raining was so soothing. Didn't go to the peak, I'm weak :(

Edit:

Nara is so pretty, the park was beautiful, too bad it was raining.

I didn't go to the peak either, mainly cause my fiance's sister was complaining about having to hike all the way and didn't want to do it. It pissed me off, especially after I wasn't able to make it there during my first trip to Japan.

Did you play with the deer?

scarlet

I didn't go to the peak either, mainly cause my fiance's sister was complaining about having to hike all the way and didn't want to do it. It pissed me off, especially after I wasn't able to make it there during my first trip to Japan.

Did you play with the deer?

It was raining, so i was only watching and laughing when the deers chasing people for food lol.

I actually surprised myself, I walked like 5 hours non stop in Nara haha.

It must be so good in sunny day.

SKINNER!

Banned
Looking into seeing if I can get a ticket to a Yakult Swallows games at the Meiji Jingu Stadium. Gutted that most of their games that I can attend is at 6pm so I won't be able to enjoy a game in the sunshine but at least I'll get an hour or two of sun...maybe. There are a few games that start at 2pm at the Tokyo Dome but I remember you guys said that it's an indoor stadium and I'm not sure if it'll be better than Meiji Jingu Stadium. I'm just going for the atmosphere really and don't mind if I go and see the Giants or Swallows play.

Tokyo Dome is an entire modern complex with shops and restaurants, Meiji Jingu Stadium is the exact opposite. But either way if you are looking for atmosphere the most important thing is to sit in the fan cheering section. The tickets are usually have "ouen" like the DS game Ouendan in their name.

SKINNER!

Banned
The tickets are usually have "ouen" like the DS game Ouendan in their name.

I take it they are special tickets? or perhaps a special section I'd have to request for?

Also, is it still possible to visit the Tokyo Dome shopping/restaurant complex without watching a game? I presume you can.

One week to go! Leave next Wednesday night for Haneda. Get in around midnight, capsule hotel until the morning and then shinkansen down to Osaka for the weekend.

edit: Huh, these should've been one post.

Trojan X

Banned
I take it they are special tickets? or perhaps a special section I'd have to request for?

Also, is it still possible to visit the Tokyo Dome shopping/restaurant complex without watching a game? I presume you can.

I haven't been in the dome yet but you can definitely do anything you want in the surrounding area associated with the dome such as the rollercoaster.

mr.rager

Both of these look so goddamn good. In all honesty, though, when I go to Japan in the summer the first thing I plan on doing is checking into my hotel. But the SECOND thing I plan to do is hit up a Yoshinoya.

If you like yoshinoya then you should also try chikara meshi and sukiya. Of the 3, I like chikara meshi the best. they're gyuudon is so good.

So many amazing places to eat in Tokyo, I wish I could list them all lol.

Kohmen has really good ramen, had the tantanmen. Ate at the one in Roppongi last time in Tokyo. They had basil gyoza at the time which were amazing.

It was raining, so i was only watching and laughing when the deers chasing people for food lol.

I actually surprised myself, I walked like 5 hours non stop in Nara haha.

It must be so good in sunny day.

Loved seeing that too, where are you going to be headed next?

Ask for : KOGASHI TAN TAN MEN

It looks like this - it's a mouthgasm

http://highheelgourmet.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/p1020276.jpg

Damn, wish I knew about this. I did have eat at the grill restaurant up there which was pretty good.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
i will be tomorrow in Kyoto, gonna make a friends a tour over Nara.

Fell free to join me :)

scarlet

Loved seeing that too, where are you going to be headed next?

Went to Arashiyama today. Tenryuji Temple by miles is my fave temple, I could spend whole days sitting in front of the garden and pond, so relaxing, must be so pretty in fall.

And just had Gogyo Burnt Ramen for dinner, so good.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
hot easy tip

In Akihabara?
Like Ramen?

then go to Yodobashi and go to the food floor (7th? 8th? floor)
and look for a place called Kohmen

Ask for : KOGASHI TAN TAN MEN

It looks like this - it's a mouthgasm

http://highheelgourmet.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/p1020276.jpg

Ask for the : AGE (AH-GEH) NIN NIKU (fried garlic side order) to take it to an incredible new level

SON YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTS

Looks okay I guess but every place I've eaten at at that Yodobashi has been pretty meh.

Speaking of tourist mode food, went to Toriki the other week. たけえぇぇぇぇ

mrklaw

MrArseFace
one week to go until my trip. Looking forward to visiting Hiroshima and Miyajima, and also have a Gundam Museum visit planned.

The rest of the time will be just at my in-laws house or wherever my wife take the kids. So although I'll be in Japan, I'll be living vicariously through a bunch of you guys as I visit yet another soft-play area :p

Lazlo

one week to go until my trip. Looking forward to visiting Hiroshima and Miyajima, and also have a Gundam Museum visit planned.

The rest of the time will be just at my in-laws house or wherever my wife take the kids. So although I'll be in Japan, I'll be living vicariously through a bunch of you guys as I visit yet another soft-play area :p

Check to see if they've finished the construction at the top of Miyajima before hiking to the very top. When I was there in June last year they hadn't finished the new lookout / whatever they were making up there.

scarlet

Going for day trip to Osaka tomorrow, i think im gonna use the one day pass.

Is it worth it if i just visit the tempozan ferris wheel, osaka castle, santa maria cruise, suminoe spa and the floating garden?

SKINNER!

Banned
Osaka Castle was pretty cool. You can go right to the top of it and see Osaka. There was a baseball field across from it where I spent a good 20 minutes watching a game. Worth it for that alone if you're into observatories/seeing stuff from high places.

HU9uE36.jpg

Top Bottom