• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

scarlet

Osaka Castle was pretty cool. You can go right to the top of it and see Osaka. There was a baseball field across from it where I spent a good 20 minutes watching a game. Worth it for that alone if you're into observatories/seeing stuff from high places.

HU9uE36.jpg

No interest in visiting Den Den Town?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipponbashi

I mean part of the one day pass, they have free admission.

And my last night in Japan will be in osaka too, so I'll be visiting that area at night on my last night.

I mean part of the one day pass, they have free admission.

Oh, right.

Pass = 2000 JPY

Tempozan Ferris Wheel = 700 JPY
Santa Maria = 1600 JPY
Floating Garden Observatory = 700 JPY
Osaka Castle = 600 JPY
Suminoe Spa = 600 JPY
+ transportation with certain railway/subways

So, yes.

matt360

Check to see if they've finished the construction at the top of Miyajima before hiking to the very top. When I was there in June last year they hadn't finished the new lookout / whatever they were making up there.

Oh man that old lookout tower was a death trap. It was like those towers from Far Cry 3. I wonder if someone fell or died up there and that's why they are finally building a new one. I'd imagine it would be done by now though, as they tend to finish those things pretty quickly. The top of Misen was so much better with the monkeys though. It's just not the same without them.

Resilient

go to ichiran

eat it

they're all over japan

i'm telling you guys, do it. just google maps ichiran and you will find one. there's one right in the shopping strip at kyoto...can't remember what the strip is called :< it's near a-cho though.

DO IT.

I am wondering whether I should buy the JR Pass or not. Cost is a problem, plus I'd only use it for day trips to Tokyo and Fukuoka from Osaka. If I didn't get it, I wouldn't go to either, so I'd have more time in Osaka/Kyoto/Nara etc, and more money for food and such.

I am wondering whether I should buy the JR Pass or not. Cost is a problem, plus I'd only use it for day trips to Tokyo and Fukuoka from Osaka. If I didn't get it, I wouldn't go to either, so I'd have more time in Osaka/Kyoto/Nara etc, and more money for food and such.

Eh. Would probably better to just stay in the Kansai region if you're just planning to be there for 8 days IMO.

Unless you're never going back or something.

Eh. Would probably better to just stay in the Kansai region if you're just planning to be there for 8 days IMO.

Unless you're never going back or something.

I think you're right.. I wanted to go to Tokyo for a day or two then Fukuoka for NJPW, but that card looks terrrrible!

Honestly, no idea. I may never return; Japan is on the bucket list, so it being checked off means I probably won't go back for a while.

But yeah, I'll save it for another time. What's my best bet for trans here? I wanted the 2 day Osaka pass and then just winging it with a SUICA card for the rest.. It didn't seem like it saved a ton

I can't imagine a day trip from Osaka to Tokyo. Need to at least stay the night.

I would've decided when I got there but I think it's unwise, especially during Golden Week doom!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Go to Toba instead of Osaka if you're already in Tokyo.

Also lol golden week. No thank you to that Tokyo populace hell. Hiding in Tsukuba for the entire week.

Go to Toba instead of Osaka if you're already in Tokyo.

Also lol golden week. No thank you to that Tokyo populace hell. Hiding in Tsukuba for the entire week.

I'm not there yet naturally; I go at the end of April.

I feel silly for picking Golden Week to go, but it was such a rare shot to go, and it was actually cheaper to go during then!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm not there yet naturally; I go at the end of April.

I feel silly for picking Golden Week to go, but it was such a rare shot to go, and it was actually cheaper to go during then!

Oh, I just meant for me. Didn't know it was cheaper and i'm sure it's an interesting time to go, but even something like omotesando on sunday is sometimes too busy for me. Golden Week is max ponpo hell. It's quiet where I am though, at least.

KtSlime

I rarely go to Akasaka, but when I went yesterday I decided to stop by my embassy (US) but was turned away by a police officer he claimed it was closed on account of possible terrorism, and that I would have to call and make an appointment. Anyone know more about it, I didn't find anything in the news.

I rarely go to Akasaka, but when I went yesterday I decided to stop by my embassy (US) but was turned away by a police officer he claimed it was closed on account of possible terrorism, and that I would have to call and make an appointment. Anyone know more about it, I didn't find anything in the news.

Weird. Nothing in the news about it.

scarlet

Got lost for an hour in osaka hahaha.

Tempozan is closed until 20 april, going to santa maria cruise now from osaka castle. Might end the day at the spa.

But yeah, I'll save it for another time. What's my best bet for trans here? I wanted the 2 day Osaka pass and then just winging it with a SUICA card for the rest.. It didn't seem like it saved a ton

You're arriving at KIX in Osaka right?

You should probably get the ICOCA & HARUKA package:
http://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/pass/icoca-haruka/

ICOCA is the SUICA for the Kansai area. Do note that this will NOT work on buses in Kyoto though.

If you're going to spend full days in Kyoto you could get a Kyoto Sightseeing Pass or the City Bus All-day Pass:
https://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

Note that some remote areas are not covered.

And you could get the Kansai Thru Pass:
http://www.surutto.com/tickets/kansai_thru_english.html

This works on most buses, subways and trains in Kansai EXCEPT JR ones. This would probably be most useful if you want to go to Himeji Castle or Koyasan. Not sure if it's worth it if you're only going to stay in Osaka/Kyoto/Nara/Kobe. Depends on how much you travel around.

And get that Osaka pass too of course.

scarlet

On the train back to Kyoto, haven't eaten anything. Searching for okonomiyaki for an hour, didn't find it.

Going to tokyo tomorrow

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
On the train back to Kyoto, haven't eaten anything. Searching for okonomiyaki for an hour, didn't find it.

Going to tokyo tomorrow

No okonomiyaki? Didn't had you been in Dotombori?

Check to see if they've finished the construction at the top of Miyajima before hiking to the very top. When I was there in June last year they hadn't finished the new lookout / whatever they were making up there.

I was there two days ago: the structure is nearly completed, you can climb all the way to the top floor, but the second floor is closed for "safety reasons". Totally worth it.

Loving Japan so far: Tokyo (+Nikko) , Miyajima and now Kyoto (+Nara). Just a few more days in Osaka and we're heading back.

I can't believe how much time I spent in Yodobashi trying out high-end headphones (Stax, HD800).

Thanks Mike! I think I'll nab that ICOCA + HARUKA pass and the Osaka 2 day pass, then get the Kyoto bus pass when I'm there. That should cover me!

I was there two days ago: the structure is nearly completed, you can climb all the way to the top floor, but the second floor is closed for "safety reasons". Totally worth it.

Loving Japan so far: Tokyo (+Nikko) , Miyajima and now Kyoto (+Nara). Just a few more days in Osaka and we're heading back.

I can't believe how much time I spent in Yodobashi trying out high-end headphones (Stax, HD800).

How far is Miyajima from Osaka? It's on my list for next year.

I probably spent just as much time as you messing around with all the camera and lenses.

Going to tokyo tomorrow

Haven't eaten anything all day!? I don't think there was a time I didn't have some sort of food in my hand..

Oh! I forgotten to share this video to everyone: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153023731160408

Again, for those that are driving, make sure you drive on the Shutokou Highway for some Ridge City like what I did: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152964192175408&set=vb.153278158105662&type=2&theater

Have fun in Japan and if you are driving there for the first time, please be VERY careful and following my advice that I've provided here on this thread.

What other driving advice can you give? I want to rent a car and drive around the next time (if it's not winter) I'm there since I have an international driving permit.

And i barely drink too, my face was so red when i was in the onsen

Need to start living it up and eating all the great food that are available to you. I miss Japan so much and want the food so bad, but it's going to be a while before I go back :(

I have that issue too, I usually take some pepcid AC or something an hour or so before I drink. It helps.

OK, so I really need to sketch out my itinerary now. 6 days, Osaka/Kyoto/Nara/Kobe. How should I proceed?

I figured 3 in Osaka and one day each in the rest, but what are some good model courses to follow? I saw Osaka's tourist site had some so I might follow those...

scarlet

OK, so I really need to sketch out my itinerary now. 6 days, Osaka/Kyoto/Nara/Kobe. How should I proceed?

I figured 3 in Osaka and one day each in the rest, but what are some good model courses to follow? I saw Osaka's tourist site had some so I might follow those...

Make Kyoto 2 nights. You can explore Kobe and Osaka for day trip.

Resilient

I don't rate Dotombori high for Okonomiyaki. It was nice, but I found better at a few places. In Kyoto, try Mr. Little Man. They have a great meal set that was awesome. Also, if you're in Hiroshima, there's an awesome place at the top of the shopping complex near the station. I think it's on the eleventh floor. But I don't think anybody is heading down that far! Haha.

Did you try Ichrian?!?

Ichiran is damn good, especially when you make the last second decision to get a bowl even though you're already running close to the last train out of Shibuya. Plus it's interesting just as a tourist attraction, seeing this quiet place with everyone focused on their noodles and eating in silence in their own private little booth.

mr.rager

Is it wise to plan the first trip to Japan from mid to the end of August?
I read that it is the hottest and of the rainiest months.

Rainy season is during June and July. It will be really humid during August though. April-May and November-December are the best time to go, especially if it's your first time.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Oops!

I'm really looking forward to my trip to Japan. I'm just a bit nervous regarding the language, we have almost no knowledge regarding Japanese. Basic words only.

Don't worry about it.

That's why many places have in the front door "Engrish Menu available" (Yeah i know i misspeled it :) )

scarlet

Oops!

I'm really looking forward to my trip to Japan. I'm just a bit nervous regarding the language, we have almost no knowledge regarding Japanese. Basic words only.

I'm still alive!

Spending my sunday shopping in yodobashi akiba, might go back tomorrow, the earphone is quite cheap here.

openrob

I'm travelling to on my first visit Japan this August as well - but only for a week. Will be keeping an eye on this thread for ideas!

Top Bottom