• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

JulianImp

So you're saying you saved up around $100,000 to use in the course of 3 months? An apartment room costs say 111,000 円 a month, that's around $1,038. A dormitory would land you somewhere close to $500 a month. This via sakura house. 42k for a room seems to be over doing it. Unless they're hidden fees or something I'm not noticing. Just curious since a friend of mine who stayed in Japan for a year spent around 42k back in 2012. Thus I want to confirm that the currency we're talking about is in USD.

Well, I'm actually getting into a Sakura House dormitory tomorrow for ¥42K/month. The deposit fee is ¥30K for first timers, and ¥20K in my case since I've already staid at Sakura House until last week. Once you check out, they deduct ¥10K (regardless of how long your stay was) and you get the rest back in cash.

Also, all my numbers were written in JPY, so I was saying you could survive with about ¥100,000 per month but that'd probably be pushing it, and that anything in the ¥120,000-150,000/month range would be decent.

EDIT: Regarding some basic survival tips for squeezing more value out of your money:
  • Use a Suica/Pasmo card. That way, trains and subways don't round their fare prices up to the nearest multiple of ten, and you end up saving a couple of 1-yen coins every time you travel around the city
  • ¥108 shops are your friend. Bazaar hyakuen shops are particularly nice for office, cleaning or cooking supplies, and Lawson 100 convenience stores are decent for stocking up on basic food
  • Supermarkets and minimarkets often mark some of their items' prices down anywhere from 10% to 40% or even lower. Checking the shops out a short while before their closing time (often 9 PM) will often result in the best prices on boxed lunches, but other stuff such as bread, some sweets, meat and fruits or vegetables tend to get marked down as their expiration date gets closer
  • Walk if you've got the time to spare and the distance isn't something crazy (I walked from Uguisudani to Akihabara and back one day, and I did the trip one-way several times already) Thay way you'll save some money on train fares, you'll exercise a bit and might even get to spot some new shop or exciting place you didn't know about
  • If you miss the last train of the day (at around 12 AM) and have to wait for the next one in the morning, you can always got to family restaurants like Sariseriya, pay for the drink bar, and stay in there until morning for about ¥300 (I did this once with a friend, and we even saw some people sleeping on their tables!)

Okay so, literally just booked flights to go to Japan between December 28th and January 6th. This'll be my 4th time in the country but first time in terms of the season I'm actually going in.

Any advice on the best places to stay for the best prices around this time of year (in Tokyo), and also, would like to know which new year festivals/events I should hit up (doesn't have to be in Tokyo).

What kind of place do you have in mind? Hostel? Proper hotel?

Check hostelworld, but the best hostels are probably booked by now, or do AirBnB. Those are probably the cheapest.

Darksol

Heading to Japan in 2 weeks. This is probably the only time I'll ever have 150,000 in cash on me :p

I'm smuggling Nutella into the country for a girl I met from Philly. Haha.

Bought a good sized stack of Canadian flag post cards to give to random people I meet at bars, the university I'm speaking at, etc.

The wait is unbearable. What did everyone else do to kill the time before their trip, I wonder.

scarlet

Heading to Japan in 2 weeks. This is probably the only time I'll ever have 150,000 in cash on me :p

I'm smuggling Nutella into the country for a girl I met from Philly. Haha.

Bought a good sized stack of Canadian flag post cards to give to random people I meet at bars, the university I'm speaking at, etc.

The wait is unbearable. What did everyone else do to kill the time before their trip, I wonder.

Another trip hehe

Darksol

Work work work. Oh, and looking at Japan Guide every day the first time :p

I killed a few days booking ryokan and printing out google maps walking directions to a variety of places, haha.

Now I too shall take to reading that site constantly!

Another trip hehe

Would if I could!

We have Nutella too! Not common.. But it exists.

Hmmm. Lemme know where if you ever spot it in the wild. She lives in Minato-Ku, but I'm willing to bet she'd go out of her way for more, haha.

Hah, that's basically what I did as well. Such a fantastic source of information.

Aaaaand I'm on the site now...

Ayumi

Hmmm. Lemme know where if you ever spot it in the wild. She lives in Minato-Ku,
"Natural Azabu"! It's a supermarket for foreign food and has lots of amazing stuff, including Nutella. Stuff from many, many countried. Candy, drink, frozen food, cheese, you name it. It's a little expensive though.

I killed a few days booking ryokan and printing out google maps walking directions to a variety of places, haha.

I printed out trains/subway/bus maps as well, so I could know which ones to take where :p

JR Tokyo train map:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/info/map_a4ol.pdf

Tokyo subway map:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/subwaymap/pdf/routemap_en.pdf

Suica/Pasmo valid areas of Tokyo and surrounding areas:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/routemaps/pdf/RouteMap_majorrailsub.pdf

Kyoto bus map:
http://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/img/busnavi_eng__ura.pdf

Osaka train and subway map:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/routemap/pdf/map_osaka.pdf

Darksol

"Natural Azabu"! It's a supermarket for foreign food and has lots of amazing stuff, including Nutella. Stuff from many, many countried. Candy, drink, frozen food, cheese, you name it. It's a little expensive though.

I will pass that info along, after reaping the good guy award for bringing her some :p Thanks for the info!

I printed out trains/subway/bus maps as well, so I could know which ones to take where :p

JR Tokyo train map:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/info/map_a4ol.pdf

Tokyo subway map:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/subwaymap/pdf/routemap_en.pdf

Suica/Pasmo valid areas of Tokyo and surrounding areas:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/routemaps/pdf/RouteMap_majorrailsub.pdf

Kyoto bus map:
http://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/img/busnavi_eng__ura.pdf

Osaka train and subway map:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/routemap/pdf/map_osaka.pdf

Damn, that's some good stuff. I'll be Tokyo based with some excursions to Kyoto and Osaka, so this is all very useful--thanks!

Im back in Tokyo at the end of the month and I am looking to experience some Tokyo Halloween madness,
Where is the best spot to go on the 31st? Certain clubs in Roppongi?

Ayumi

Im back in Tokyo at the end of the month and I am looking to experience some Tokyo Halloween madness,
Where is the best spot to go on the 31st? Certain clubs in Roppongi?

There are a lot of public events, depending on what kind of music you enjoy.

And a lot of places start this Saturday and throw different kind of parties this weekend, some weekdays and the Halloween weekend.

Should be a lot of events in Roppongi you can go to, a lot of them have discounts if you're wearing a costume at the door. Can't really recommend any.. I'm going to Roppongi too (Mori Tower) though.

I would recommend you take a trip down to Shibuya in the day during Halloween, lots of awesome costumes to see. People are basically just hanging out on the street, getting their pictures taken.

Desmond

Not much has happened much since I last posted here. My bad luck continued though.

Got a new MacBook. Arrived on a Sunday. Died due to a leak brought on my the typhoon on the Monday after. :(((

Ayumi

Not much has happened much since I last posted here. My bad luck continued though.

Got a new MacBook. Arrived on a Sunday. Died due to a leak brought on my the typhoon on the Monday after. :(((

Wow, that sounds awful. D:
Any chance you can get it covered by insurance? Doesn't sound very likely.. but Japan's customer service tends to be amazing.

Zyzyxxz

Decided to change my hotel from Shinjuku area to a place near Shibuya thats only a 15min walk from the Shibuya crossing.

Now I'm at less than a month before I leave for my trip, getting a bit anxious can't wait.

Cassovia

Hi everyone,
I'm planning a trip to Tokyo with my friend and I only find this thread now.
Anyway, whats the best hotel quality/price?
Our top candidate is Toshi Center Hotel with breakfast included.
If you find something else as better value, please let me know.

PM me with anything that may come handy.

Thank you :)

Ayumi

Hi everyone,

Hey there, welcome to our kuribbu!

It would be helpful for us if you mentioned where abouts you wanna stay (cheap, quiet, noisy, expensive, central, rural) etc.

A budget on hotels and stuff would be good tok, and what time you're gonna go. :3

Has anyone been to the Robot Restaurant in shinjuku?
It looks like the entire japanese randomness concentrated in one location.

I'm looking for an activity next Saturday evening and it does seem interesting :)

Fletcher

Half way done with my trip and loving it so far. Finished with Kyoto tomorrow and heading to Tokyo to finish out the week /trip. Found my debit card works everywhere so far.

What a beautiful country. I love it here. Wish I didn't have to leave.

Half way done with my trip and loving it so far. Finished with Kyoto tomorrow and heading to Tokyo to finish out the week /trip. Found my debit card works everywhere so far.

What a beautiful country. I love it here. Wish I didn't have to leave.

Do you have an american debit card?

Yes. MasterCard from usaa.

YES! Thanks for the heads up on that. Looks like my card will be A-1 once I head to Japan. :)

How are the girls there, JapanGAF? I'm not a white foreigner but I do believe i'm not that bad looking for a slim hawaiian/african american/filipino guy. Do they take well to that? lol

edit - I really would love to meet new people there, and I have a friend who's bilingual so hopefully that'll help things, right?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Has anyone been to the Robot Restaurant in shinjuku?
It looks like the entire japanese randomness concentrated in one location.

I'm looking for an activity next Saturday evening and it does seem interesting :)

Few things. They have a lot of coupons for a buy 2, get 1.

Second, its a total tourist trap. Not a bad one, but its something that is shoved down at every hostel and hotel. So you'll get a lot of Westerns.

Third, Its in the Red Light District. ^_^

gembel

Few things. They have a lot of coupons for a buy 2, get 1.

can u tell me where I can get these coupons? :)
and will i still be able to book online?

im going this December, contacted them they said they will be open on the 30th but closed on 31st, they told me to book online.
so if we can save 6000yen that will be awesome!

red13th

Hi everyone,

We stayed in Shibuya, near Meiji Jingumae subway station, right between Shibuya and Harajuku, and we'll definitely be staying there again, walking distance to Shibuya, Omotesando and Takeshita Doori, plus three Gold's Gym in the vicinity (was important to my boyfriend - I cared more about harajuku crepes, heh).

Cassovia

It would be helpful for us if you mentioned where abouts you wanna stay (cheap, quiet, noisy, expensive, central, rural) etc.
A budget on hotels and stuff would be good tok, and what time you're gonna go. :3

Well, first of all, let me thank you for a quick reply :)
We are planning a little bit ahead, so our target month is September 2015 (I always want to visit TGS), but I want to reserved it ASAP, because I want to be sure to get a right price and a nice location.

We are from Europe and our budget is 2000e each. It would be good if we can spend like 500e for a hotel (12 - 14 days). We would like to stay in Central Tokyo, with "Minato" and "Shinjuku" nearby.
We are open to all ideas, because we don't know what to expect.

..and we are currently checking the http://www.japanican.com/en/ for potential 2day trip to Kyoto.

Hello GAFfers. I've been following this thread for some time and putting a trip together. I'll be leaving in a little over a month for three weeks and while I have the important things covered (Airfare, Ghibli tickets, Mazda Museum reservation, and JR Pass), I've yet to book my hotels and finish out a few days of my itinerary.
Would some of you enterprising individuals mind suggesting some more things, especially in Tokyo and Osaka? I don't mind "boring" or simply wandering either. Oh, and uh, no clubbing. I'd love to find some more gearhead places to go, but unfortunately racing season's over, and I don't know how many tuners will let me just wander in and take pictures. Naturally, gaming stuff should be easier to find.
I realize I'm spending a fair amount of time in Osaka, but I'm scouting to see how I feel about the country (in real-life vs. what's in my head) to see whether or not I'd like to go there longer-term.
Also, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on what area to stay in while in Tokyo. I'm looking for something around US$75 per night and I'm thinking Shinjuku might be a good base of operations due to the train station, but I also mulled over a nice little business hotel near Sangenjaya station (The b Sangenjaya).
Thanks for all your help!

Itinerary (Shared from OneDrive)

shas'la

Find the Ramen Museum Aqua city in Odaiba, also Diver city is an excellent shopping center (with giant gundam outside)

The Ghibli museum wont take you all day, you could pop to Nakano Broadway on the way back if you like geeky stuff

:)

Would some of you enterprising individuals mind suggesting some more things, especially in Tokyo and Osaka? I don't mind "boring" or simply wandering either. Oh, and uh, no clubbing. I'd love to find some more gearhead places to go, but unfortunately racing season's over, and I don't know how many tuners will let me just wander in and take pictures. Naturally, gaming stuff should be easier to find.

Any interest in temples and stuff? A visit to Asakusa would be good in Tokyo. Could be combined with a trip to the Tokyo Skytree.

In Osaka, you should check out the Osaka Pass:
http://www.osaka-info.jp/osp/en/index.html

Any particular reason why you're booking a hotel in Kyoto? It would be just as easy having the hotel all week in Osaka and then just take train trips that takes less than 1 hour each way to Kyoto (unless you want to experience Kyoto after midnight) instead of messing about for 1 day switching hotels.

Find the Ramen Museum Aqua city in Odaiba, also Diver city is an excellent shopping center (with giant gundam outside)

It might be better to check out these two than the Panasonic Center IMO. And unless you're specifically there for RiSuPia museum part then there's a Panasonic Center in Osaka too.

Hayabusi

Well, I'm actually getting into a Sakura House dormitory tomorrow for ¥42K/month. The deposit fee is ¥30K for first timers, and ¥20K in my case since I've already staid at Sakura House until last week. Once you check out, they deduct ¥10K (regardless of how long your stay was) and you get the rest back in cash.

Also, all my numbers were written in JPY, so I was saying you could survive with about ¥100,000 per month but that'd probably be pushing it, and that anything in the ¥120,000-150,000/month range would be decent.

EDIT: Regarding some basic survival tips for squeezing more value out of your money:
  • Use a Suica/Pasmo card. That way, trains and subways don't round their fare prices up to the nearest multiple of ten, and you end up saving a couple of 1-yen coins every time you travel around the city
  • ¥108 shops are your friend. Bazaar hyakuen shops are particularly nice for office, cleaning or cooking supplies, and Lawson 100 convenience stores are decent for stocking up on basic food
  • Supermarkets and minimarkets often mark some of their items' prices down anywhere from 10% to 40% or even lower. Checking the shops out a short while before their closing time (often 9 PM) will often result in the best prices on boxed lunches, but other stuff such as bread, some sweets, meat and fruits or vegetables tend to get marked down as their expiration date gets closer
  • Walk if you've got the time to spare and the distance isn't something crazy (I walked from Uguisudani to Akihabara and back one day, and I did the trip one-way several times already) Thay way you'll save some money on train fares, you'll exercise a bit and might even get to spot some new shop or exciting place you didn't know about
  • If you miss the last train of the day (at around 12 AM) and have to wait for the next one in the morning, you can always got to family restaurants like Sariseriya, pay for the drink bar, and stay in there until morning for about ¥300 (I did this once with a friend, and we even saw some people sleeping on their tables!)

To add something for longer term stays in one city:
A cheap, used bicycle is also a good way to get around town. A lot of folks got one right away during my exchange semester last year. (I didn't, but I should have in retrospect..)

JulianImp

To add something for longer term stays in one city:
A cheap, used bicycle is also a good way to get around town. A lot of folks got one right away during my exchange semester last year. (I didn't, but I should have in retrospect..)

At least from what my japanese acquaintances told me, you can't buy a bike with a tourist visa, so you've got to mind that kind of stuff. I guess people on student visas might get the chance to own one, though.

The Ghibli museum wont take you all day, you could pop to Nakano Broadway on the way back if you like geeky stuff

:)

Thanks! Most of my stuff won't take a full day, I just felt I'd use them as jumping points for exploring nearby things. I did not know about Nakano Broadway, though. It looks sweet.

Any interest in temples and stuff? A visit to Asakusa would be good in Tokyo. Could be combined with a trip to the Tokyo Skytree.

In Osaka, you should check out the Osaka Pass:
http://www.osaka-info.jp/osp/en/index.html

Any particular reason why you're booking a hotel in Kyoto? It would be just as easy having the hotel all week in Osaka and then just take train trips that takes less than 1 hour each way to Kyoto (unless you want to experience Kyoto after midnight) instead of messing about for 1 day switching hotels.

It might be better to check out these two than the Panasonic Center IMO. And unless you're specifically there for RiSuPia museum part then there's a Panasonic Center in Osaka too.

Thanks a bunch! Yeah, the Panasonic Center was mostly for the RiSuPia, plus there's supposed to be a crappy Nintendo thing there. Having said that, my Odaiba trip is really going to revolve around Toyota Web of all places...

Finally, if anybody knows of any great Live Houses to go to, that'd be awesome. I definitely need to see some great rock shows while I'm there.

Jachaos

I wrote this in the Japan GAF thread thinking it was the travel thread, but I'm asking it here now:

Hey everyone, I have a question about using my phone on a trip.

I'm still far from actually booking my trip (looking to visit next May-June) but I was wondering about what the situation is on that front. I'd visit 2-3 weeks and I checked out the sites in the OP but it was all a bit confusing.

I'm going to get a factory unlocked Sony Xperia Z3 Compact or an iPhone 6 in the coming days (so Micro SIM or Nano SIM depending on the phone, if that matters).

I like to use my phone for Maps, searching for reviews and such a lot while travelling and will be staying at AirBnB places. Are some options out of the question?

Also, I'm from Montréal, Québec, Canada.

Thanks!

I mean, if you just need your phone for internet you should get a pocket WiFi device (info in the OP) and you'll be set. Maps/GPS will work fine.

If you need to ever make a phone call, that might take some more research on your end. I have a Droid Maxx through Verizon and had set up International dialing on my phone (I wanted to call my hotels before the trip to make sure everything was in order), but I ended up needing to call my bank when I was in Japan and it just worked, but obviously there was a decent roaming charge for that.

Jachaos

I mean, if you just need your phone for internet you should get a pocket WiFi device (info in the OP) and you'll be set. Maps/GPS will work fine.

If you need to ever make a phone call, that might take some more research on your end. I have a Droid Maxx through Verizon and had set up International dialing on my phone (I wanted to call my hotels before the trip to make sure everything was in order), but I ended up needing to call my bank when I was in Japan and it just worked, but obviously there was a decent roaming charge for that.

Hm, well, just data would be fine I guess. I'll use apps to text and voice chat in that case. I'll keep this hotspot thing in mind then, seems like a great solution. I'll inquire more if need be in half a year when comes time to order just to make sure I'm doing everything right. Thanks!

Also, I'm from Montréal, Québec, Canada.

Thanks!

Who is your provider? Rogers, or one of them other Canada-land providers? I hope not rogers... their international roaming is ridiculous.

$40.00/31 days
50 minutes
Unlimited Texts Sent
200MB

$80.00/31 days
100 minutes
Unlimited Texts Sent
500MB

International minutes would probably be nice, but at least get that mifi.

Ayumi

Hm, well, just data would be fine I guess. I'll use apps to text and voice chat in that case. I'll keep this hotspot thing in mind then, seems like a great solution. I'll inquire more if need be in half a year when comes time to order just to make sure I'm doing everything right. Thanks!
You can get a pocket device like someone mentioned, or you can try a cheaper option: Pre-paid data-only SIM. There should be some information on the front page to check it (I'm on mobile now so it's kind of a hassle to check + quote). How long are you staying?

Thanks a bunch! Yeah, the Panasonic Center was mostly for the RiSuPia, plus there's supposed to be a crappy Nintendo thing there. Having said that, my Odaiba trip is really going to revolve around Toyota Web of all places...

Finally, if anybody knows of any great Live Houses to go to, that'd be awesome. I definitely need to see some great rock shows while I'm there.

The Nintendo thing is just a Mario statue which you can take pictures with and some 3DS and Wii U consoles set up that you can play some games on. Played Mario 3D World when I was there. Not allowed to take pictures of the other stuff besides the Mario statue either.

Toyota Web and the history garage museum is actually quite good. Make sure you visit both since they're on opposite ends of the Palette Town Venus Fort. There's a free simulator ride in Toyota Web as well.

Darksol

I've stopped trying to figure out the transportation system. I barely know what to select on Hyperdia since it gives me multiple options and I don't know what I need, much less how to follow a bunch of instructions referencing train lines I don't know, places I've never heard of, transferring, etc.

Fuck it, I'm just accepting the fact I'll get lost and get there eventually :)

I have my own permanent Japanese SIM card, I'll just harass friends via text if I get too lost :p

Leave for Japan on Monday. Excited.

LegatoB

I've stopped trying to figure out the transportation system. I barely know what to select on Hyperdia since it gives me multiple options and I don't know what I need, much less how to follow a bunch of instructions referencing train lines I don't know, places I've never heard of, transferring, etc.

I have my own permanent Japanese SIM card, I'll just harass friends via text if I get too lost :p

Google Maps is actually pretty good at telling you how to get to and from various stations, at least in the greater Tokyo area. I almost never bothered with Hyperdia, though I guess maybe it'd be more useful if you were planning long-distance jaunts. After a while you'll start learning more-or-less where major stations you use a lot are, and what lines are available.

sfedai0

Banned

Are you going to be just in Tokyo? Its almost impossible to get lost since the lines are clearly labeled. And the Yamanote Line covers the major portions of the city.

Top Bottom