• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

How's Tokyo during September-November? My girlfriend and I are looking to stay for around 3 months at an Airbnb. We currently live in Manhattan, so prices don't actually seem unreasonable; we've seen places for ~1800 a month. And thankfully, our jobs allow us to work remotely while we're there.

Can y'all recommend any relatively affordable neighborhoods? We don't have to be in the middle of everything. And I know Japan has very fast internet, but should we expect problems when video conferencing with people in America? This is critical for our jobs to work abroad.

Bonus info: I speak *very* little Japanese, but I can read Hiragana/Katakana. We also have a few friends living in the Tokyo area, which might help.

Does this sound like a viable plan?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
First few weeks of September is usually pretty great in Japan. It's the end of summer so it can be still terribly hot, but each time I went there for TGS it was really mild with not much humidity. End of September and the weeks afterwards is typhoon season though, so it can get pretty bad.
As for internet connections, everyone has at least 100 mbits fiber as far as I can tell, and if it comes to worse you can get cheap unlimited 4G hotspots that are amazingly fast too :)
As for neighborhoods, as long as you don't have more than 1 change to reach the Yamanote or Ginza line, you'll be all set in terms of getting somewhere fast. My last TGS we got a house from Airbnb in the far end north eastern part of Shinjuku on the Oedo Line (Ushigomeyanagicho station), it was really nice.

First few weeks of September is usually pretty great in Japan. It's the end of summer so it can be still terribly hot, but each time I went there for TGS it was really mild with not much humidity. End of September and the weeks afterwards is typhoon season though, so it can get pretty bad.
As for internet connections, everyone has at least 100 mbits fiber as far as I can tell, and if it comes to worse you can get cheap unlimited 4G hotspots that are amazingly fast too :)
As for neighborhoods, as long as you don't have more than 1 change to reach the Yamanote or Ginza line, you'll be all set in terms of getting somewhere fast. My last TGS we got a house from Airbnb in the far end north eastern part of Shinjuku on the Oedo Line (Ushigomeyanagicho station), it was really nice.

Ha, typhoon season! What does that typically entail for those living/staying in Tokyo? And thanks for the response. I'm copying this to a Google doc for posterity!

Ayumi

Ha, typhoon season! What does that typically entail for those living/staying in Tokyo? And thanks for the response. I'm copying this to a Google doc for posterity!

Just.. staying inside a lot. Usually a lot of schools get cancelled during the bad days. And some people hoard stuff like toilet paper, water and konbini food.

How's Tokyo during September-November? My girlfriend and I are looking to stay for around 3 months at an Airbnb. We currently live in Manhattan, so prices don't actually seem unreasonable; we've seen places for ~1800 a month. And thankfully, our jobs allow us to work remotely while we're there.

You could check out apartment rental places like Sakura House as well.

so I've been pretty lazy the last few days, figure I'll do a littlw update of what I've done in Kyushu so far.

the weather wasn't the best during my time staying in Kagoshima, but I made the most put of it. went to Kumamoto and hike up some sakura (and cemetery) lined path and up some stairs (a lot of stairs...) to this place to see the statue of Katõ Kiyoamasa. it also has a very nice view of the city too. thou appearantly there are wild boars roaming around?

SkU7CTw.jpg

it started raining when I was up there so I ended up just relaxing at this little pavilion for a while. after the rain died down, I head back down and went to the Kumamoto Castle. it was pretty cool even walking around all the original walls and what not, even thou the castle itself was a reconstruction after it was burnt down during the war back in the 1870's Satsuma Rebellion. stayed there pretty late and got up to the top after night falls.

after that I went to Miyazaki the next day. first took an over a hour bus ride to Udo Shrine. I even took the back road around to get there (not the way back thou since it was getting hot by then). it's located right inside a cave on the shore and it's pretty neat. you get to buy these little charm things (5 for ¥100) and tey to throw them on this rock that resembles a big turtle. if it lands in the circle of the turtle's back, you'll supposedly get good luck. sadly I only came close and didn't stick the landing, oh well. as I was leaving I even discover there is a path that you can take to walk down to where the waves crash onto the rocks and there is another shrine down there too. I wrote it down as something I need to go check out on my next visit since it's getting late.

after that I catch the bus and head up north to Aoshima and check out the Aoshima Shrine, which is located on this little island that's connected to the mainland and is surrounded by these amazing rock formations they call "ogre's (oni really) washboard". you can walk on them and it's just incredible that something like this is made by mother nature. the shrine itself is also pretty cool, part of it is hidden amidst the dense tropical jungle on the island.

I start to head back when the sun starts to setting. going through the mostly empty streets (I guess it's not the busy seasons yet?), I get to this train station and realized I missed the train by 10 minutes and have to wait an hour for the next one... orz oh well, at least it was pretty comfortable and there were almost nobody there.

I do have one question thou. I saw this shop selling lots of locally grown citrus and I even bought a bag. but I also saw that they sell a box of 2 mangos (that's one box with two mangos in it, nothing special just so we're clear) for ¥5500! I forgot to take a picture but what in the world is so special about those mangos!?

anyway, hope this isn't too much of a photo dump. I'll be posting more later on (after I grab a drink with Mailenstein tonight maybe ^_^).

Cyd0nia

Banned
Who is still in Tokyo that want to grab dinner tonight or lunch/dinner tomorrow?

I might be up for that. I'm staying not too far from ueno.

I kind of wasted yesterday and today, this rain is bumming me out a bit. I was considering hitting rappongi tonight on my own but the rain made me cave in and feel overcome with tiredness

Anyone else? Impromptu meet?

hwalker84

I might be up for that. I'm staying not too far from ueno.

I kind of wasted yesterday and today, this rain is bumming me out a bit. I was considering hitting rappongi tonight on my own but the rain made me cave in and feel overcome with tiredness

Anyone else? Impromptu meet?

I'm heading to Shibuya tonight.

Zatoth

No service. Just want to go to a normal strip club and a hostess bar in Japan.

Like I said, I went do TS Music in KabukiChou last year.

But after doing a lot of research I also considered Seventh Heaven in Roppongi. I think that one is more like a "classic" strip club. At least what I would expect from one. Was the first time for me to visit a strip club. But I expected something like you see Al Bundy visiting all the time.

TS Music was not was I imagined. But still a great experience. There were no tables. Just some shitty, plastic seats and one stage. You couldn't even order drinks there. But I think there was a vending machine.

When we entered the show was almost over and when the girl went backstage the men started to form a line in front of the stage. A few minutes later the girl came back and everybody could take pictures with her. No idea if this is something typical in a (Japanese) strip club, but I sure as hell was not expecting it.

dani_dc

Got around going to the Tsukiji Market yesterday.

Arrived there at around 3:15 if I recall, the first group (60 people) was already full so I got into the second group,while the last person allowed in was a bit before 4 am, lots of people trying to get there past that hour, and a few trying to get the guards to allow them inside the action when the group was moving there (they were very clear to not allow any exceptions though).

To be quite honest, I didn't find the event interesting, you see a guy yelling a lot and some huge tunas and that's about it, one of the auctioners sounded like he was singing, which was interesting, but without understanding the language it's pretty impossible to even following the bidding process, I had no idea who was bidding on what or for how much.

Thankfully I had a good night with the people I went with, and I would say that made the venture worth it, if you plan out a night around the area with your friends and then stop by I guess it could be worth it (though still expect 2 hours waiting in a room with nothing to do), but otherwise I really wouldn't recommend doing there. I don't think it's worth the effort just to go there.

You also can't go to the actual market until 9 am, and the auction ends at 5:50 or 6:15 depending if you're the first or second group, thankfully there are a lot of Sushi places near the market, though they were all surprisingly expensive (I usually expect places near markets to be cheaper, but I guess this is a touristic attraction so they take advantage of it).

I did get to eat 498 yen tuna sushi, everyone else had full sets but I didn't feel capable of eating more than one piece of sushi (wasn't feeling too well), so figure I'd make it worth, plus I really have no plans to go back there. Thought it was pretty good, but that might have just been my brain justifying the price I paid for it :p
Also took off my bucket list drinking at a place under the train, where we found out that drunk Japanese guys are very sociable (too much so), and the chance of ruining Rammstein/Queen songs (among others) at a Karaoke.

Probably didn't help that I start having a panick attack at around 4-5 am and couldn't take my emergency medicine because I had been drinking (really not the type of medicine you can mix with alcohol), figures that would happen in one of the very rare occasions where I go out to drink.

So also had the fun experience of finding a doctor near by, was a bit surprised that the police didn't seem to know of any place without looking at a book (though I have to say it's really nice that they have a book with pictures and map, makes it a lot easier for me to figure out the location).

Same with the doctor and nurses when I asked for the direction of a hospital (doctor told me that I could take the medicine at that point since it had been 10+ hours since I had drank my last drink, but to go to a hospital if I didn't get better).

No one knew how to talk English before I got to the nurse/doctor, but thankfully I knew enough basic japanese (in conjunction with gestures) to give an overall view that I was feeling ill and some of the general symptoms so that I pointed me to the right direction of where to go :p

So I guess that soured my experience of the market as well.

Now time to go sleep some more!

that movie is ok at best, just an interesting subject that's all.

as for Akiba, they'll usually have the kanji for "Adult" written on the floor indication thing so just make sure to look out for those and avoid them (or beeline into them, don't worry, I don't judge).

that table flipping game was in one of the Namco Center (or was it Sega? I honestly can't recall at the moment) in Osaka. either in Umeda or Namba. sorry can't be more help at the moment. I'll try to retrace my track for that day later on and let you know.

and don'tbe afraid of wandering around. I think that's part of the fun when you're traveling. just don't go wandering into some yakuza office and you'll be fine lol.

yeah, that's pretty awesome. saw some guy watching his girlfriend play the original SF2 lol

That's annoying to hear.

Yeah, they even have it in english in several store "Adult Doujin", I just didn't bother to look at it at the time, though at this point I know most of the bigger stores well enough that I don't have to read the signs :p

Wish I'd find that game around Tokyo to try it, but not too big of a deal if I can't.

And yes, wandering around is part of the fun, it's one of the things I've been doing the most! Not going to stop that anytime soon.

ah, sorry to hear about the hospital part, hope you're feeling alright. yeah, I imagine the fishmarket won't be THAT fun but at least you can say you've done it now and that's nice
and that sushi looks great. I have no doubt it actually taste good. get better soon and enjoy the rest of your time here.

hwalker84

Got around going to the Tsukiji Market yesterday.

Arrived there at around 3:15 if I recall, the first group (60 people) was already full so I got into the second group,while the last person allowed in was a bit before 4 am, lots of people trying to get there past that hour, and a few trying to get the guards to allow them inside the action when the group was moving there (they were very clear to not allow any exceptions though).

To be quite honest, I didn't find the event interesting, you see a guy yelling a lot and some huge tunas and that's about it, one of the auctioners sounded like he was singing, which was interesting, but without understanding the language it's pretty impossible to even following the bidding process, I had no idea who was bidding on what or for how much.

Thankfully I had a good night with the people I went with, and I would say that made the venture worth it, if you plan out a night around the area with your friends and then stop by I guess it could be worth it (though still expect 2 hours waiting in a room with nothing to do), but otherwise I really wouldn't recommend doing there. I don't think it's worth the effort just to go there.

You also can't go to the actual market until 9 am, and the auction ends at 5:50 or 6:15 depending if you're the first or second group, thankfully there are a lot of Sushi places near the market, though they were all surprisingly expensive (I usually expect places near markets to be cheaper, but I guess this is a touristic attraction so they take advantage of it).

I did get to eat 498 yen tuna sushi, everyone else had full sets but I didn't feel capable of eating more than one piece of sushi (wasn't feeling too well), so figure I'd make it worth, plus I really have no plans to go back there. Thought it was pretty good, but that might have just been my brain justifying the price I paid for it :p

Also took off my bucket list drinking at a place under the train, where we found out that drunk Japanese guys are very sociable (too much so), and the chance of ruining Rammstein/Queen songs (among others) at a Karaoke.

Probably didn't help that I start having a panick attack at around 4-5 am and couldn't take my emergency medicine because I had been drinking (really not the type of medicine you can mix with alcohol), figures that would happen in one of the very rare occasions where I go out to drink.

So also had the fun experience of finding a doctor near by, was a bit surprised that the police didn't seem to know of any place without looking at a book (though I have to say it's really nice that they have a book with pictures and map, makes it a lot easier for me to figure out the location).

Same with the doctor and nurses when I asked for the direction of a hospital (doctor told me that I could take the medicine at that point since it had been 10+ hours since I had drank my last drink, but to go to a hospital if I didn't get better).

No one knew how to talk English before I got to the nurse/doctor, but thankfully I knew enough basic japanese (in conjunction with gestures) to give an overall view that I was feeling ill and some of the general symptoms so that I pointed me to the right direction of where to go :p

That's annoying to hear.

Yeah, they even have it in english in several store "Adult Doujin", I just didn't bother to look at it at the time, though at this point I know most of the bigger stores well enough that I don't have to read the signs :p

Wish I'd find that game around Tokyo to try it, but not too big of a deal if I can't.

And yes, wandering around is part of the fun, it's one of the things I've been doing the most! Not going to stop that anytime soon.

LOL. You were in my group. Do you have any pictures of the group or the waiting area? Time to go to sleep.

lol omg Mailenstein, I just ate one of those taiyakis (the one with matcha and mochi) and good lord it's so good even after a night. thank your better half for me for saving me those please! can't wait to devour the other one on the train later lol

lol omg Mailenstein, I just ate one of those taiyakis (the one with matcha and mochi) and good lord it's so good even after a night. thank your better half for me for saving me those please! can't wait to devour the other one on the train later lol
Haha, glad to hear that. I will let her know lol.
I ate two this morning ( ̄+ー ̄)...

Is it really that bad, I'm going to be in Japan for the first 2 weeks of October, had a look online before I booked everything and seemed that October was a good time to go :/

Cyd0nia

Banned
I bought my tickets for the Robot Restaurant show for the 12th of May, see the rest of you guys there!

I went with my girlfriend on my first night here - its noisy and almost nonsensical, but is hilarious and good fun! You guys are gonna have a ball, wish I was still gonna be around for the meet!

Cedric

Wow, so I discovered this thread by accident, but this is a great coincidence as I'm planning on going to Japan in August with my girlfriend! We decided this quite recently, I have no idea what I'm getting into really, so I'll probably be asking a lot of questions and reading the links provided in the OT in the upcoming weeks.

Out of curiosity, how feasible do you all think it would be to just plan the first week in Tokyo then explore as we go? We're also thinking of going to Korea, but that wouldn't be until the second or third week (we might decide to do just Japan also, haven't talked about it yet). The plan is to be gone for about a month. Anyone who has done a similar trip (staying in hostels, not hotels) could tell me how much I can expect to spend minimum for a month (food, living, activities -excluding plane tickets)?

Cyd0nia

Banned
Wow, so I discovered this thread by accident, but this is a great coincidence as I'm planning on going to Japan in August with my girlfriend! We decided this quite recently, I have no idea what I'm getting into really, so I'll probably be asking a lot of questions and reading the links provided in the OT in the upcoming weeks.

Out of curiosity, how feasible do you all think it would be to just plan the first week in Tokyo then explore as we go? We're also thinking of going to Korea, but that wouldn't be until the second or third week (we might decide to do just Japan also, haven't talked about it yet). The plan is to be gone for about a month. Anyone who has done a similar trip (staying in hostels, not hotels) could tell me how much I can expect to spend minimum for a month (food, living, activities -excluding plane tickets)?

Would you do more of Japan than just Tokyo or just stay there? Seems like there are unending things to do either way.

I'm no expert and I'm being quite frugal but my flights were the single most expensive item and it has surprised me how cheap accommodation can be done if you're willing to put in the research. I'm betting a lot of people who say it's expensive stay in lots of swanky hotels and traditional Japanese style apartments. When we first started looking at Kyoto for example we were getting insane prices and sadly we'd booked too late to get the cheap hostels. We could have written it off but it's a short train ride away from Osaka and Nara so we just stayed there and got the train in.

We've only stayed in one place that was more than say £40-50 a night and that was a spa hotel with onsen / hot spring baths - we've stayed in a fair few places that are way cheaper. The capsule hotel I'm in currently isn't great compared to the other hostels but it's clean, has great amenities and is £11 a night. Its men only by the way, a lot of them are - my girlfriend had to go home before me (work commitments). I haven't totted it up yet but I had to guess it's cost something like £400 for three weeks, plus money on food and days out. Plus a JR pass at circa 250 for 14 days.

You've got a lot of time to save so decide if you need that JR pass and aim for ¥30000 a week minimum would be my suggestion. More if you want to have a really good time.. and/or if you're a nightlife person.

dani_dc

I'm not much of an appreciator of alcohol, but I think I'm starting to fall in love with Umeshu.

ah, sorry to hear about the hospital part, hope you're feeling alright. yeah, I imagine the fishmarket won't be THAT fun but at least you can say you've done it now and that's nice
and that sushi looks great. I have no doubt it actually taste good. get better soon and enjoy the rest of your time here.

@dani_dc Are you okay?! お大事に!

Thank you, fortunately it's nothing that the medicine plus two turns of sleep didn't solve. But always extremely unpleasant, and honestly frightening, when it happens.

Good enough to go to a Bunny coffee and wander a couple hours looking for somewhere to eat.
Ended up in some restaurant with no one else there and no english menu, quite fun to have a bunch of foreigners trying to read a list with the little Kanji they know. Thankfully the food was really good.

LOL. You were in my group. Do you have any pictures of the group or the waiting area? Time to go to sleep.

Ah, that's quite amusing actually.
Unfortunately no pictures of the overall group, only took pictures of the people I was with.

hitsugi

Is it really that bad, I'm going to be in Japan for the first 2 weeks of October, had a look online before I booked everything and seemed that October was a good time to go :/

The last time I went (mid-October, 2013), we just happened to arrive in typhoon weather.. but it is possible to deal with the rain / winds and have a good time - it wasn't that bad most of the time, but occasionally we did opt to stay in our room until things died down. It really didn't have much of an impact on the trip.

From what I know, that was a particularly bad season, but October is usually a great time to go

edit - ah, it was this one: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/16/us-japan-typhoon-idUSBRE99E09H20131016. The worst one in 10 years at the time.

read the OP and check out the links there. it helps a lot.

where are you flying out of (from)? have you travel to other countries before? what's your general budget/bottom line?

if you book you flights early enough (like 3 months before your trip) you should get some pretty good prices. personally I've never been to Korea so I can't tell you how cool it is (thou I heard it's pretty cool). wait you're talking about South Korea, not "Best Korea" (you know, of the "great leader") right lol?

anyway, I suggest you stick with one country for your trip. both of these two countries have a lot of things you can see and places to go, so one would be more then enough even for a month.

assuming you're going to Japan, I imagine you'll need at least $900 per person for flight. a little over $100 for a wifi hotspot device (seriously useful). maybe a JR pass if you don't plan on staying in Tokyo the whole trip (that'll be around $500 gor 21 days). so that'll be $1400 per person already (plus $100+ for one wifi to share between the 2 of you). as for accommodations, OP has a few links like Airbnb and what not so you can start there. if you do the research and plan ahead, you won't have to pay much at all. the rest would be on transportation cost and food. I LOVE eating so I spent a little more on that but if you're fine with just riceballs, beef bowls and ramen, then it won't cost too much either. transportation won't be too bad either for the most part, especially if you already got a JR pass. you can start from these I guess.

I'm not much of an appreciator of alcohol, but I think I'm starting to fall in love with Umeshu.

Good enough to go to a Bunny coffee and wander a couple hours looking for somewhere to eat.
Ended up in some restaurant with no one else there and no english menu, quite fun to have a bunch of foreigners trying to read a list with the little Kanji they know. Thankfully the food was really good.

watch out on the umeshu, those are pretty strong and packs a kick.

bunny cafe huh? that little bunny does look pretty cute, thou I was sort of expecting the other kind of bunny before I saw the picture lol. I missed out on the cat cafe but I heard there's a owl cafe in Hakata, think I'll give that a try before leaving.

The last time I went (mid-October, 2013), we just happened to arrive in typhoon weather.. but it is possible to deal with the rain / winds and have a good time - it wasn't that bad most of the time, but occasionally we did opt to stay in our room until things died down. It really didn't have much of an impact on the trip.

From what I know, that was a particularly bad season, but October is usually a great time to go

edit - ah, it was this one: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/16/us-japan-typhoon-idUSBRE99E09H20131016. The worst one in 10 years at the time.
Ahh ok, hopefully the weather is fine for me, got alot of outdoors stuff planned when I'm there

Phoenix4

Going back to Japan for our honeymoon in the first two weeks of October. Flying in to Osaka on Sep 30, hope the typhoon season will be over by then. Flights and hotel were crazy cheap though (from Europe).

Last time we visited we did a trip from Kyoto to Tokyo through the Alps, this time it's just going to be one week Osaka and one week Tokyo.

We'll use Osaka as a base to visite Kyoto (again), Himeji and maybe Nara. Any tips for these areas? We did most of the major touristic attractions last time in Kyoto and we'd like to rent some bicycles now to explore the lesser known parts.

For Tokyo we're staying in a residential area in Meguro. Also did all of the touristy stuff so any lesser known places to visit would be great.

Going back to Japan for our honeymoon in the first two weeks of October. Flying in to Osaka on Sep 30, hope the typhoon season will be over by then. Flights and hotel were crazy cheap though (from Europe).

Last time we visited we did a trip from Kyoto to Tokyo through the Alps, this time it's just going to be one week Osaka and one week Tokyo.

We'll use Osaka as a base to visite Kyoto (again), Himeji and maybe Nara. Any tips for these areas? We did most of the major touristic attractions last time in Kyoto and we'd like to rent some bicycles now to explore the lesser known parts.

For Tokyo we're staying in a residential area in Meguro. Also did all of the touristy stuff so any lesser known places to visit would be great.

Mike had suggested to someone else before to combine Hemiji with Kobe, and since you'll be going on honeymoon the night view of Kobe from up on top the mountain is one of the 3 best in Japan, so you can maybe consider that.

as for Kyoto, have you checked out Otagi Nenbutsu-ji, Sanjusangen-do, Path of Philosophy or Ginkakuji? there's also the pretty small Seimei Shrine too. and if you like the work out, can go up the Inari Shrine in Fushimi, you can head up the Inari mountain from the back trail like I did too.

Phoenix4

Mike had suggested to someone else before to combine Hemiji with Kobe, and since you'll be going on honeymoon the night view of Kobe from up on top the mountain is one of the 3 best in Japan, so you can maybe consider that.

as for Kyoto, have you checked out Otagi Nenbutsu-ji, Sanjusangen-do, Path of Philosophy or Ginkakuji? there's also the pretty small Seimei Shrine too. and if you like the work out, can go up the Inari Shrine in Fushimi, you can head up the Inari mountain from the back trail like I did too.

Thanks for the tips, Kobe sounds interesting as well. Already did Path of Philosophy and Ginkakuji during the cherry blossom season last time, really amazing. Also visited the Fushimi Inari Shrine but never went to the top or via the back trail. Will look more into that, thanks.

How interesting is Osaka as a city to explore?

Top Bottom