• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Darksol

I was under the impression a SIM with voice and text requires an ID card and a Japanese address. Did you just order it online? Their english site no longer exists it seems =(

I ordered from here

http://www.jqphone.com/e_japansimcards.html

It's worked out nicely for me and accommodated the limited texting and calls I made while in Japan. They required passport info before I could be activated however.

Honestly it's probably overkill unless you plan on visiting often.

When I move to Japan next year I'll probably switch to a plan of some sort.

They didn't require a Japanese address when I ordered in early 2014.

Its very intimidating for a small town kid like me here!

I'm having issues understanding what to do with my JRpass. I'm trying to get to Kyoto from Tokyo, I set the address into google maps, it gives me a JR station, I get to the gate, I swipe my pass... Nothing. People avert their eyes for my lost soul haha.

Am I suppose to purchase tickets from the machine with my pass?

Edit: haha okay as usual I fumbled my way through it

Tabris

this is a weird question but anyone know any bar in Tokyo that would be both open and playing nhl hockey games in the morning / early afternoon?

Tabris

It's so fun being in a country where you don't speak or read the language and trying to figure out things. Was able to get to Narita to Ginza Takaracho pretty easy, only thing I stumbled on for a minute or two was trying to figure out how to exit Tokyo station gates, not realizing I had to use my NEX train ticket to open the gate to exit (used to entry not exits on subways/trains)

Only things I know how to say (spelling each phonetically) are suememasen (excuse me/pardon me), arigato gozai mas (thank you vm), oh na gai she mas (please), eye go hanase masuka (do you speak english?), eekou ra (how much?) and ko neech wa (hello). Pretty surprised how much I've been able to do with that. And everyone is so friendly!

It won't be the same when I meet up with my girl as she speaks Japanese.

hwalker84

It's so fun being in a country where you don't speak or read the language and trying to figure out things. Was able to get to Narita to Ginza Takaracho pretty easy, only thing I stumbled on for a minute or two was trying to figure out how to exit Tokyo station gates, not realizing I had to use my NEX train ticket to open the gate to exit (used to entry not exits on subways/trains)

Only things I know how to say (spelling each phonetically) are suememasen (excuse me/pardon me), arigato gozai mas (thank you vm), oh na gai she mas (please), eye go hanase masuka (do you speak english?), eekou ra (how much?) and ko neech wa (hello). Pretty surprised how much I've been able to do with that. And everyone is so friendly!

It won't be the same when I meet up with my girl as she speaks Japanese.
Phonetically it's Eggo (like the waffles) Hana say masuka

Alright, than. Let me play this game everyone is playing. I'm heading to Japan with my friend May 1-18th and this is a temp itinerary. Looking for thoughts if the places and time frames will be enough for each place:

The biggest issue I have is that I would REALLY like to go to Skirakawa. But I have no idea when that could be possible unless certain items above were removed.

JR Pass looks to be the best option as well for all the traveling, correct? Got lots of traveling.

Already booked the first two nights in Tokyo so all is good there. Just need to figure out where and when we will be to book the rest ahead of time.

Really looking forward to this. Thanks for any thoughts anyone has for us, cheers!!

Missing out on the May 12th Tokyo meetup ;P

Well... You should get a 14 day JR Pass for the days you're not in Tokyo at least.

What are your plans for Kobe? You could probably combine it with a trip to Himeji if you're just going to check out Himeji Castle and not do too much in Kobe.

Skyzard

Banned
Hi guys, just wondering if there is anything like Wagamama in Shinjuku?

Unfortunately I'm a child when it comes to my food pallet and am too afraid to risk sushi.

So I've been eating egg sandwiches the last few days... KFC too lol.

Looking for something familiar like the chicken katsu curry dish, any suggestions?

hwalker84

Unfortunately I'm a child when it comes to my food pallet and am too afraid to risk sushi.

Looking for something familiar like the chicken katsu curry dish, any suggestions?
1299.gif

Ayumi

Maybe try to be a bit more.. open than just that? There is TONS of food you will probably love. Can you give some more examples of what you like to eat/looking for? And stuff you don't want to try/eat?

sfedai0

Banned

WAT. What a waste of the last few days. There are so many great dishes there that I wouldnt even miss sushi. Youre traveling. Why would you not be adventurous??

Skyzard

Banned
I know I should be more open and adventurous with the food but that's never been me, always at a snails pace and extreme caution with new food for some reason. I'll definitely give sushi a go before I leave but didn't realise there was more I was missing out on too.

I think I'm going go hunt for a place that does a curry after checking out the arcade, learn the location and then try sushi another time after just having some curry so I don't worry :/ I think the sushi without fish would go down better maybe if they have something like rice and avocado. That's all I can think of though... Bad..

Any favourite dishes?

I'm limited a bit in that I'm not a huge fan of soup (i mean watery dishes) and have been brought up avoiding Ham and pork. Also veggies are risky.

Damn, this is pretty embarrassing now that I reading it out loud.

I should force myself... Later.

Took a picture of the word mild, just looked up a curry place called c&c, going to go have a look.
Can't buy another egg sandwich from family mart.

Ayumi

If you like chicken, try karage (deep fried chicken) with tartar sauce. So delicious!
Tempura is pretty good too (deep fried shrimp/sea food/other stuff like eggplant).
Like MikeHattsu said, beef bowl is very good. Basically just meat on top of rice.

Don't feel like you MUST try sushi but there are many kinds and you might find something you like.
I honestly don't like sushi that much, but don't tell my family or they will banish me
, but there are a few I like, such as salmon, ebi (shrimp) and unagi (eel). I love sashimi though. So yummy~

More chicken stuff: Yakitori (grilled chicken pieces on sticks)

Tonkatsu: Deep fried pork cutlet in breadcrumbs.

Um.. I love grilled fish, A LOT. You can find many, many kinds. My favorite is kanpachi (also great as sushi). I'm a huge fan of miso soup, but you said you don't wanna eat soup.

Another thing you should try is gyoza (stuffed dumplings). I would recommend more but they'd be mostly "watery dishes". :<

Nezumi

Currently sitting at Tokyo station waiting for our nightbus to Shikoku. Any GAF tips for things to do/see down there? We'll be staying in Takamatsu. Naoshiima is already locked. Not really interested in dogo onsen since we just spent two nights at an onsen hotel.
Also wtf at the Japanese weather. 25°C and sunshine on Monday, 3°C and snow today...

Ayumi

Currently sitting at Tokyo station waiting for our nightbus to Shikoku. Any GAF tips for things to do/see down there? We'll be staying in Takamatsu. Naoshiima is already locked. Not really interested in dogo onsen since we just spent two nights at an onsen hotel.
Also wtf at the Japanese weather. 25°C and sunshine on Monday, 3°C and snow today...

Never been there but perhaps some of these will sound interesting?
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5400.html

I can't imagine there is so much more to do there besides taking photos. lol

Go check out the Naruto whirlpools?

dani_dc

So was I the only one that went to the Kanamara Matsuri?

And a few more embarrassing pics here.

If the pictures are a bit too much I'll edit them out (though a mod said I could post the more embarrassing pics on faceGAF so I figure here would be fine as well)

Jinaar

Missing out on the May 12th Tokyo meetup ;P

Well... You should get a 14 day JR Pass for the days you're not in Tokyo at least.

What are your plans for Kobe? You could probably combine it with a trip to Himeji if you're just going to check out Himeji Castle and not do too much in Kobe.

That's sound advice, combining Kobe and Himeji + going for the 14 day JR Pass. Ya unfortunately will miss the GAF night out but will go to Robot Restaurant still in the end. That place looks intense. Thanks for the input!

Skyzard

Banned
Beef bowl should be a safe choice at least? Hambagu, yakitori, shabu shabu (if you choose beef) and grilled fish as well.

If you go to a curry rice place then it won't be particularly spicy.
Thanks will check those out. Found c&c but even the chicken dishes had pork curry...

Mcds and a kebab :( both cold too.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Thanks will check those out. Found c&c but even the chicken dishes had pork curry...

Mcds and a kebab :( both cold too.

Gyoza is really nice, and while in Osaka I grew quite fond of Okonomiyaki.. there are tons of beef and pork dishes you could have if you like meat.

I went to the Tsujiki fish market today and tried shit I never thought I'd eat in a million years, and enjoyed 99% of it

I am gutted about missing that phallus festival, that's photographers GOLD

JKTrix

You guys talking about snow and coldness 2 weeks away from my trip is scaring me.

In any case, I'm all booked up. Staying in 4 different places overall, all booked by airbnb. The only place that didn't offer 'pocket wifi' was the place I'm staying in Kyoto, but I already ordered my own pocket wifi device for the whole two weeks already. It'll at least save me a little bit of bandwidth there.

I also ordered a JR pass for the whole two weeks, hopefully that form gets to Bermuda soon. I told one of my hosts that I wanted to go to the location helpfully suggested here to do some sakura viewing, and she suggested that I go into Hokkaido since the season might already be over there when I arrive. I guess I'm in for a cold trip, overall :/

I still need to look into things like the Takkyubin and Suica cards. I'm also intending on doing all my tourist planning during the long train rides to Osaka and Kyoto. But for now, I have stars on Google Maps for my major destinations so I can just click it on my tablet and get directions.

Ayumi

You guys talking about snow and coldness 2 weeks away from my trip is scaring me.

In any case, I'm all booked up. Staying in 4 different places overall, all booked by airbnb. The only place that didn't offer 'pocket wifi' was the place I'm staying in Kyoto, but I already ordered my own pocket wifi device for the whole two weeks already. It'll at least save me a little bit of bandwidth there.

I also ordered a JR pass for the whole two weeks, hopefully that form gets to Bermuda soon. I told one of my hosts that I wanted to go to the location helpfully suggested here to do some sakura viewing, and she suggested that I go into Hokkaido since the season might already be over there when I arrive. I guess I'm in for a cold trip, overall :/

I still need to look into things like the Takkyubin and Suica cards. I'm also intending on doing all my tourist planning during the long train rides to Osaka and Kyoto. But for now, I have stars on Google Maps for my major destinations so I can just click it on my tablet and get directions.

Ahh... it isn't snowy weather, don't worry! We had decent 17Cish weather for a while but this week became very cold, just cold enough for some sliiiight snowfall. It didn't even stick so I didn't see any on the ground when I woke up (the ground was already dry).

So don't worry about it. It might happen again this week but in 2 weeks it should be fine.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/jp/tokyo/226396/april-weather/226396

If the pictures are a bit too much I'll edit them out (though a mod said I could post the more embarrassing pics on faceGAF so I figure here would be fine as well)
They're not real.. penises so should be fine? You should ask Gromph (I guess this post will highlight him) to be sure.

Also I was just talking about Teeth (hilarious movie about a girl with vagina dentata) earlier today, which you reminded me of with your &#12363;&#12394;&#12414;&#12425;&#31085;&#12426; pictures. lol

Most locations in Hokkaido aren't expected to start flowering until the very end of April/start of May at this time...

Cyd0nia

Banned
I've just seen my girlfriend off at Tokyo Central bound for Narita so now I'm alone in Tokyo &#128552;

I switch from a comfortable double hotel room to capsules today too! Staying in the Taito area and only here til Monday

Any visitors or JapanGAF got weekend plans?

Also quick question about Akiba... I took a look the other week, it was quite a rainy day, so all I really did there was go to gundam cafe, head into the Sega arcades and visit super potato - does anyone have any recommendations of what should be done there?

I'm kind of aghast at how much of the arcades I've visited have been UFO machines and gambling / pachinko / horse racing / card games / Photoshop booths for groups of ladies. Is that just the way arcades get people in now or are there more traditional gaming haunts to be found? I've played on some cool machines, don't get me wrong - Namco's latest Mario Kart is awesome, I've played a ton of great lightgun / shooter type games too

boy... you missed the thread for a day or two and look at how fast it moved! anyway, bored on the 2 hour ride so figure I'll chip in on the conversation if ya'll don't mind

stuff

has anyone else had the joy of reading this APA hotel nutter's propaganda?

I've been in enough places to know there will always be some sort of unsavory elements in any culture and I know Japan is the same. it's just that for the most part you won't encounter it that often, even if you live put here, so that's good enough for me. still, that's an interesting experience thou.

MAY 2 - Arrive/Stay - Tokyo
MAY 3 - Day In - Tokyo
MAY 4 - Travel To / Stay - Kyoto
MAY 5 - Day In - Kyoto
MAY 6 - Travel To / Stay - Osaka
MAY 7 - Day In - Osaka
MAY 8 - Day Trip - Nara / Stay - Osaka
MAY 9 - Day Trip - Kobe / Stay - Osaka
MAY 10 - Day Trip - Hemiji / Stay - Osaka
MAY 11 - Travel To - Miyajima / Stay - Hiroshima
MAY 12 - Day In - Hiroshima
MAY 13 - Travel/Stay - Tokyo
MAY 14 - Travel/Stay - Hakone (Might be good to do Hakone before Tokyo)
MAY 15 - Travel/Stay - Tokyo
MAY 16 - Day In - Tokyo
MAY 17 - Day In - Tokyo
MAY 18 - Leave - Tokyo

The biggest issue I have is that I would REALLY like to go to Skirakawa. But I have no idea when that could be possible unless certain items above were removed.

hmmm, Mike already got you cover on the whole Hemijo/Kobe thing so that part's done. I do suggest going to Hemiji early and then spend the rest of the day in Kobe after that. can try some real Kobe beef too while you're there. make sure to stay til it's dark and head up the hill (on rope way or bus) to check out the night view of Kobe. very romantic and beautiful up there. you can put that extra day into more time in Kyoto if you've never been there before.

why you want to go to Shikirakawa now? is the snow still there right now? I actually wanted to go there the last time I was here but after some research I decided that since I can't make a last minutes reservation to stay there and the bus takes forever just going one way, I'll rather just carve out 2 or 3 days specifically for that some other time.

Its very intimidating for a small town kid like me here!

I'm having issues understanding what to do with my JRpass. I'm trying to get to Kyoto from Tokyo, I set the address into google maps, it gives me a JR station, I get to the gate, I swipe my pass... Nothing. People avert their eyes for my lost soul haha.

Am I suppose to purchase tickets from the machine with my pass?

Edit: haha okay as usual I fumbled my way through it

I assume you already got it by now, but just in case. you go through the manned window next to the gates and show them the pass and they'll let you in (only JR stations of course, not local stuff). that'll put you in the unreserved section (usually car 1 to 3 it seems). you can go to the ticketing counters (the green lable room) before your departure to get an assigned seat with your pass. it might be a little tricky if you don't speak the language but you can write it down and show to the person and they'll usually understand. something like

Sakura 560
14:40
Kagoshima -> Hakata

would work. and you can download the Shinkansen timetable, both eastbound and westbound, to better plan ahead.

like Mike and Ayumi already suggested, lots of alternative even if you don't like sushi. heck, there's even those cooked (chicken) egg sushi I'm sure you'll like. Japan is also one of the best country when it comes to food safety so you shouldn't have to worry, even if it's raw fish and there are pkenty of cook/roast seafood dishes too. however, being a huge foodie, I really feel like you're missing out on this. part of the fun of travel is to try different things. hell, I've order stuff I have no idea what they are before and it tasted great! is the pork thing due to religious reason? is there any reason you don't like soupy stuff? ramen, pot cooking stuff and a lot of other dishes are just heavenly and it's a real shame if you miss out on it juat because of something trivial. I avoid flooding the thread with food pics but I kinda want to do it now just to see if we can get you to try different things... lol

dani_dc said:
dick pics

GeorgeTakiOhMy.gif

lol didn't even realize it's now or I woulda gone with you. seems pretty fun and just a gold mine of hilarious pictures.

I've just seen my girlfriend off at Tokyo Central bound for Narita so now I'm alone in Tokyo &#128552;

I switch from a comfortable double hotel room to capsules today too! Staying in the Taito area and only here til Monday

Any visitors or JapanGAF got weekend plans?

Also quick question about Akiba... I took a look the other week, it was quite a rainy day, so all I really did there was go to gundam cafe, head into the Sega arcades and visit super potato - does anyone have any recommendations of what should be done there?

I'm kind of aghast at how much of the arcades I've visited have been UFO machines and gambling / pachinko / horse racing / card games / Photoshop booths for groups of ladies. Is that just the way arcades get people in now or are there more traditional gaming haunts to be found? I've played on some cool machines, don't get me wrong - Namco's latest Mario Kart is awesome, I've played a ton of great lightgun / shooter type games too

sadly I'm down in Kyushu right now or I would join you for a drink at least.

as for Akiba... are you interested in any manga/anime stuff? I'm sure you can find book stores there with lots of artbook collections and the more... *cough*... "special interest" books and stuff. if it's before I woulda break the bank and come back with a case full of artbooks and otaku stuff, but times had changed and I only got a few console games and a Hori stick this time. there are of course maid cafe and cat cafe you can go thou. I totally missed the chance to try the car cafe this time (not really interested in the maid stuff) so maybe next time.

as for the arcades, yeah, they changed a lot too from before. I suppose it's just the way it is. the couple arcades I've been to this time all mostly have the latest Gundam Extreme VS as their majority "gaming" machines with a few other fighting games on the side. I did find this action shooter game where you hold a gun and jump around and stuff kinda cool. that and there's some mod version L4D game machines too. oh and I did tried out this game that involves you hitting and flipping the table lol

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

And a few more embarrassing pics here.

I had been there 3 years in a row, but this year it simply slip out from my mind.

I saw the photos and are ok to post it here.

Enjoy

And now is one of my favourite seasons in Japan. (Drunk Sakura)

dani_dc

Also I was just talking about Teeth (hilarious movie about a girl with vagina dentata) earlier today, which you reminded me of with your &#12363;&#12394;&#12414;&#12425;&#31085;&#12426; pictures. lol

That sounds like a really fun premise for a movie, I'll put it on the list to check it out when I have time.

GeorgeTakiOhMy.gif

lol didn't even realize it's now or I woulda gone with you. seems pretty fun and just a gold mine of hilarious pictures.

I wouldn't even have realize it was happening if not for someone at my work *really* wanting to go. The event itself is nothing amazing, but it's plenty of fun if you go with other people.

GeorgeTakiOhMy.gif
as for Akiba... are you interested in any manga/anime stuff? I'm sure you can find book stores there with lots of artbook collections and the more... *cough*... "special interest" books and stuff. if it's before I woulda break the bank and come back with a case full of artbooks and otaku stuff, but times had changed and I only got a few console games and a Hori stick this time. there are of course maid cafe and cat cafe you can go thou. I totally missed the chance to try the car cafe this time (not really interested in the maid stuff) so maybe next time.

as for the arcades, yeah, they changed a lot too from before. I suppose it's just the way it is. the couple arcades I've been to this time all mostly have the latest Gundam Extreme VS as their majority "gaming" machines with a few other fighting games on the side. I did find this action shooter game where you hold a gun and jump around and stuff kinda cool. that and there's some mod version L4D game machines too. oh and I did tried out this game that involves you hitting and flipping the table lol

There's a lot of "special interest" stuff in Akiba, just be careful to not go into a bookstore and then suddenly realize you're in the adult section.

Had that happen to me when I kept going up in a bookstore until suddenly realizes I was in the middle adult "Boy Love" section.

There are a lot of rhythm games in arcades as well, that's honestly my favorite part of the current arcades.
Plus you can even save your progress with cards now a days (Though you have to buy them).

Where did you find that game? Haven't seen it anywhere.

I had been there 3 years in a row, but this year it simply slip out from my mind.

I saw the photos and are ok to post it here.

Enjoy

Good to hear, though at this points I think it's other people are the ones that will enjoy those pics.
.. wait what.

Love walking Shibuya at night.. Messaji (message), blow job? They're aggressive too.

Haven't had anyone be that explicit to me (outside of an old man asking me for sex I guess, but I like to pretend that never happened), though I had a couple guys follow me trying to convince me to go to clubs, once in Kabukicho (I'd be shocked if that didn't happen there though) when I randomly walked into there, and once in Ueno. The one in Ueno was particularly bad, guy followed me for a good 2-3 minutes despite me continuously saying that I wasn't interested, really ruined my mood.

I just realize I have the habit of randomly walking into places I shouldn't.
The only reason I realize I was in Kabukicho was "Oh, this looks *Exactly* like Kamurocho from Yakuza.... that means I must be in Kabukicho!".

Did you check out the small 'arcade' in Super Potato?

3rd and 4th floor of Taito Game Station in Akihabara was good when I went there. Lots of both classic and modern shumps and fighting games.

That sounds like a really fun premise for a movie, I'll put it on the list to check it out when I have time.

There's a lot of "special interest" stuff in Akiba, just be careful to not go into a bookstore and then suddenly realize you're in the adult section.

Had that happen to me when I kept going up in a bookstore until suddenly realizes I was in the middle adult "Boy Love" section.

Where did you find that game? Haven't seen it anywhere.

Haven't had anyone be that explicit to me (outside of an old man asking me for sex I guess, but I like to pretend that never happened), though I had a couple guys follow me trying to convince me to go to clubs, once in Kabukicho (I'd be shocked if that didn't happen there though) when I randomly walked into there, and once in Ueno. The one in Ueno was particularly bad, guy followed me for a good 2-3 minutes despite me continuously saying that I wasn't interested, really ruined my mood.

I just realize I have the habit of randomly walking into places I shouldn't.
The only reason I realize I was in Kabukicho was "Oh, this looks *Exactly* like Kamurocho from Yakuza.... that means I must be in Kabukicho!".

that movie is ok at best, just an interesting subject that's all.

as for Akiba, they'll usually have the kanji for "Adult" written on the floor indication thing so just make sure to look out for those and avoid them (or beeline into them, don't worry, I don't judge).

that table flipping game was in one of the Namco Center (or was it Sega? I honestly can't recall at the moment) in Osaka. either in Umeda or Namba. sorry can't be more help at the moment. I'll try to retrace my track for that day later on and let you know.

and don'tbe afraid of wandering around. I think that's part of the fun when you're traveling. just don't go wandering into some yakuza office and you'll be fine lol.

Did you check out the small 'arcade' in Super Potato?

3rd and 4th floor of Taito Game Station in Akihabara was good when I went there. Lots of both classic and modern shumps and fighting games.

yeah, that's pretty awesome. saw some guy watching his girlfriend play the original SF2 lol

Can't find any decent dragon ball z figurines in Akihabara. Oh well drowning my sorrows at a maid café.

seriously thou, I actually kinda want to try it but I just can't do it in the end, especially since I was coughing nonstop those couple days. I suppose I'll try it next time when I'm in Tokyo again and not coughing my lungs out.

Btw: Where can I find Jin Roh-figures?
When I looked for them in Akihabara, I couldn't find any. And some clerks didn't even know what I was talking about.

hwalker84

seriously thou, I actually kinda want to try it but I just can't do it in the end, especially since I was coughing nonstop those couple days. I suppose I'll try it next time when I'm in Tokyo again and not coughing my lungs out.

Went to @Home Café it wasn't that bad. Kinda cool. The girls where bubbly and delightful. The regulars looked weird and did weird things. The food was the worst from the three Maid Cafe's I've tried. Next on the list is a Gaijin friendly host club and a Japanese Strip Club.

Darksol

Went to @Home Café it wasn't that bad. Kinda cool. The girls where bubbly and delightful. The regulars looked weird and did weird things. The food was the worst from the three Maid Cafe's I've tried. Next on the list is a Gaijin friendly host club and a Japanese Strip Club.

Which strip club?

Quoting for new page:

Tokyo Meetup, May 12th

So, we're having a Tokyo meetup on May 12th, mostly tourists, but anybody living in Japan are welcome to join us too if they want.

Details

1. We meet up a little before 17:30 and get all you can eat shabu-shabu at Mo Mo Paradise (unless it's fully booked, then we find another place).

Map:
    https://goo.gl/maps/T1mDx

2. We go to Robot Restaurant at 19:00 and check out the show at 19:10.

You need to book tickets to the show yourself.
    Here's the Japanican booking link for the correct time, remember to choose May 12th:
    http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/DIN1G1950A/

3. After the show ends at about 21:30 we either go check out an arcade or do karaoke. Depends on how many people wants to join either activity.

People who's shown interest in joining so far:
Axispowers
dani_dc
MikeHattsu (+1)
scogoth
TatteredHat
Zyzyxxz (+1)

Top Bottom