• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

sfedai0

Banned
Is Fukuoka worth a couple days or even a day visit? My plan is to visit Kyoto, Osaka, and Nara. Would it be too much in a 10-11 day span?

Is Fukuoka worth a couple days or even a day visit? My plan is to visit Kyoto, Osaka, and Nara. Would it be too much in a 10-11 day span?

Mailenstein lives there so maybe he can get you a better answer, but I'll be there in 5 days so I can tell you too if you don't mind waiting lol

muu

Are you starting off in Osaka or Tokyo? If the former you could save by skipping the rail pass -- plenty to look around in that region if all you got is 10 days.

I went to Fukuoka w/ my dad 4, 5 yrs ago and most of the things we did were outdoorish -- Aso had a nice view, that one volcano was more or less a mild hike, etc.It felt like it took a while to get to places (which was fine, I was there to visit relatives as 1st priority inc. my dad), so keep that in mind.

Tabris

4 more days until I am in Tokyo!!! :O

I cannot emphasize how little I am prepared haha :)

I got a SIM card, an app on my phone for the subway / train system, and a hotel room. Oh, and travel insurance via my credit card.

EDIT - My girl made a reservation at some ninja restaurant, there's our one reservation.

scogoth

4 more days until I am in Tokyo!!! :O

I cannot emphasize how little I am prepared haha :)

I got a SIM card, an app on my phone for the subway / train system, and a hotel room. Oh, and travel insurance via my credit card.

EDIT - My girl made a reservation at some ninja restaurant, there's our one reservation.

Been to Ninja, fun times. Kinda cheesy but fun cheesy!

Tabris

I decided, even with the great subway advice, I'm just going to take Narita Express to Tokyo Station and then taxi to my hotel. I don't want to haul my luggage around, I don't mind paying an extra 20-30 bucks.

So I know where to buy the Narita Express ticket - Apparently they no longer offer the NEX+Suica package, so my question is - Anywhere I can get and load up a Suica card using a credit card? Since all the vending machines at the stations apparently just take cash.

sfedai0

Banned
Mailenstein lives there so maybe he can get you a better answer, but I'll be there in 5 days so I can tell you too if you don't mind waiting lol

Do tell. Im really just interested in the local food.

Are you starting off in Osaka or Tokyo? If the former you could save by skipping the rail pass -- plenty to look around in that region if all you got is 10 days.

I went to Fukuoka w/ my dad 4, 5 yrs ago and most of the things we did were outdoorish -- Aso had a nice view, that one volcano was more or less a mild hike, etc.It felt like it took a while to get to places (which was fine, I was there to visit relatives as 1st priority inc. my dad), so keep that in mind.

Ill be starting out of Tokyo so will have hte JR pass. Been to Tokyo before so most time will be spent in Kyoto and Osaka, and sneaking in one day visits to places like Nikko or Nara, Just was hoping to hear some awesome things about Fukuoka food that would make justifying a trip out there,

so, that cold of mine sucks and grounded me in the hotel for a little when I'm in Tokyo. I still managed to get around to some places thou. went back to Tsukiji and grabbed a bite, including at the very first Yoshinoya in the world.

nAC92uP.jpg

but I did fail the tuna auction challenge even thou my hotel was like 25 minutes walk from the market... orz just can't get myself up early enough with the cold and all the aching... maybe next time.

I did walk around Tokyo a little thou. went to Shibuya to see people crossing the street.

wander the sakura lined streets.

the little drizzle wasn't that big a problem, even made Tokyo station seem a little romantic.

also get to see Meiji Shrine which is wonderful. if you're going to visit, make sure to do it as early in the morning as you can. I got there close to 10am and there were already a lot of tourist groups starting to flow in there. still, the peace and quiet before they appeared was very nice for such a big city.

the 2 divine trees inside are beautiful too. like something out of a myth.

I even went to Ueno Park to enjoy the sakuras, but even on a weekday afternoon the place is packed. oh well, I did had a drink for you guys too.

oh, I visited the Jiro sushi place too. didn't take any pictures of it directly since they have a sign asking people not to do it, but I did see the old master sitting and chilling through the door lol

and really Japan? you can't think of a better name than Sky Mission?

anyway, I've already been in Kyushu a few days now and I'll update you guys on that later.

dani_dc

so, that cold of mine sucks and grounded me in the hotel for a little when I'm in Tokyo. I still managed to get around to some places thou. went back to Tsukiji and grabbed a bite, including at the very first Yoshinoya in the world.

http://i.imgur.com/nAC92uP.jpg

but I did fail the tuna auction challenge even thou my hotel was like 25 minutes walk from the market... orz just can't get myself up early enough with the cold and all the aching... maybe next time.

I did walk around Tokyo a little thou. went to Shibuya to see people crossing the street.

http://i.imgur.com/lBNCp9o.jpg

wonder the sakura lined streets.

http://i.imgur.com/dcHiw8J.jpg

the little drizzle wasn't that big a problem, even made Tokyo station seem a little romantic.

http://i.imgur.com/aeNWGTn.jpg

also get to see Meiji Shrine which is wonderful. if you're going to visit, make sure to do it as early in the morning as you can. I got there close to 10am and there were already a lot of tourist groups starting to flow in there. still, the peace and quiet before they appeared was very nice for such a big city.

http://i.imgur.com/0Sh6A2k.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WKmkBFF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xRRLRH2.jpg

the 2 divine trees inside are beautiful too. like something out of a myth.

http://i.imgur.com/6eIvlqx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oqvcgCz.jpg

I even went to Ueno Park to enjoy the sakuras, but even on a weekday afternoon the place is packed. oh well, I did had a drink for you guys too.

http://i.imgur.com/LoUchGA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CkCiCYi.jpg

oh, I visited the Jiro sushi place too. didn't take any pictures of it directly since they have a sign asking people not to do it, but I did see the old master sitting and chilling through the door lol

http://i.imgur.com/rWgtswH.jpg

and really Japan? you can't think of a better name than Sky Mission?

http://i.imgur.com/tjR4Sv5.jpg

anyway, I've already been in Kyushu a few days now and I'll update you guys on that later.
How early did you get to the tuna auction?
Some people at my work want to try to check it out this week.

Was on Meiji shrine on Friday as well, though in the afternoon, we weren't too far from each other probably!

Ah.. I hate it when you guys post a bunch of huge photos, it makes scrolling kinda annoying. :<

That's why you usually out big images inside quotes, helps a lot with that.

Ah.. I hate it when you guys post a bunch of huge photos, it makes scrolling kinda annoying. :<

ah, sorry, I'm posting on cell phone (and reading too) so didn't realize how big those pics get. I'll just quote them next time

How early did you get to the tuna auction?
Some people at my work want to try to check it out this week.

from what I read and was told I should be there around 4 to 4:30am. you're suppose to go to this fish information center or something that you sign in for the auction. only about 120 or so space available and they'll let the people go see in 2 batches. I actually got up around 3:20am and was going to head there. but the darn cold just put me back into bed... orz next time I guess...

it's raining cats and dogs out there in Kagoshima today (with occasional thunder and lighting) and after checking, same in Ibusuki where I planned to go today. so today's whole plan became go eat dood, do some shopping and back to hotel.

dani_dc

from what I read and was told I should be there around 4 to 4:30am. you're suppose to go to this fish information center or something that you sign in for the auction. only about 120 or so space available and they'll let the people go see in 2 batches. I actually got up around 3:20am and was going to head there. but the darn cold just put me back into bed... orz next time I guess...

it's raining cats and dogs out there in Kagoshima today (with occasional thunder and lighting) and after checking, same in Ibusuki where I planned to go today. so today's whole plan became go eat dood, do some shopping and back to hotel.

Ah that's good to know, I'm personally not too concerned with going, but I figure it'd might be interesting enough and also a chance to socialize some more.

Sorry to hear about the rain, extremely annoying to have an entire plan go down the drain due to unexpected bad weather =\

lol, you just quoted his entire post with all the photos. Do you hate me that much?! ;___;

Ahah, sorry, at work so was a bit distracted and didn't consider that.

I assure you I don't hate you!

Too much anyway.

Ayumi

Too much anyway.

:3

Even though I hate unquoted photos in the thread, I still enjoy looking at them! You never really get tired of travel photos.. no matter where it is, almost.

Ah that's good to know, I'm personally not too concerned with going, but I figure it'd might be interesting enough and also a chance to socialize some more.

Sorry to hear about the rain, extremely annoying to have an entire plan go down the drain due to unexpected bad weather =

Too much anyway.

yeah, would be an interesting experience had I been able to go, but oh well.

the rain sucks but not much I can do. I don't mind kicking back a little thou. sort out some stuff and post some pictures. going to need to think about how I'll change the plan later on thou.

Even though I hate unquoted photos in the thread, I still enjoy looking at them! You never really get tired of travel photos.. no matter where it is, almost.

haha, sorry about the big pictures again. like I said, been on this thread with my phone so didn't know the pictures are really big. I'll make sure to use quotes instead from now on.

Ayumi

haha, sorry about the big pictures again. like I said, been on this thread with my phone so didn't know the pictures are really big. I'll make sure to use quotes instead from now on.

Don't worry about it! I feel like it would be cool if we made some sort of online collection of everyone's photos (not just linking them in the OP). Perhaps a JapanGAF (for both residents and visitors) collection with folders for each user where we could make groups/collections on everyone's photos?

Hm, I think it's possible to do that on flickr. Dunno how much more organised it would be though.

I need to make a call to my phone company at 306-310-7253 from within Japan, but I can't seem to figure out how to dial internationally. I'll put 010-1306-310-7253, 010-306-310-7253, and every time it tells me to add a plus(0) before the number, which I've done but it still won't go through.

What am I doing wrong? I'm trying to make the call with my Canadian Sim since the issue is getting the correct unlock code for the Japanese Sim.

Tabris

I'm flying today! I got lucky and was able to get free international business class tickets via my air miles so it should be a fun flight experience. Multiple meal service, free drinks for 10hrs (getting drunk then sobering up all in one flight), and a sleep pod seat.

I need to make a call to my phone company at 306-310-7253 from within Japan, but I can't seem to figure out how to dial internationally. I'll put 010-1306-310-7253, 010-306-310-7253, and every time it tells me to add a plus(0) before the number, which I've done but it still won't go through.

What am I doing wrong? I'm trying to make the call with my Canadian Sim since the issue is getting the correct unlock code for the Japanese Sim.

Which phone company network are you connected to in Japan?

Which phone company network are you connected to in Japan?
Sasktel. I actually was able to get in touch with my dad after much stressing who asked the questions for me, the Sim card was asking for 8 digits but sasktel only supplied me with 7. The solution was to place a zero in front of the code I was given.

Thanks though!

OrochiJR

The last time I was in Japan (last year) a friend of mine lent me his Japanese prepaid phone. All I had to do then was go to Softbank and have them charge it up with some credit. That worked perfectly and came in very handy. However as it looks like right now, said friend will undertake a trip to Japan at around the same time I will, and he will most likely take his phone with him.

So last time I checked the consensus was that it's very hard if not impossible for tourists who just visit for a few weeks to get a phone in Japan. I don't suppose this stance has changed over the last year?

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo which in theory should work in Japan, but would probably cause roaming costs out the ass. Is there an affordable way to just like get a prepaid SIM card, or whole prepaid phone for that matter?

Ayumi

The last time I was in Japan (last year) a friend of mine lent me his Japanese prepaid phone. All I had to do then was go to Softbank and have them charge it up with some credit. That worked perfectly and came in very handy. However as it looks like right now, said friend will undertake a trip to Japan at around the same time I will, and he will most likely take his phone with him.

So last time I checked the consensus was that it's very hard if not impossible for tourists who just visit for a few weeks to get a phone in Japan. I don't suppose this stance has changed over the last year?

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo which in theory should work in Japan, but would probably cause roaming costs out the ass. Is there an affordable way to just like get a prepaid SIM card, or whole prepaid phone for that matter?

You can get cheap data SIMs (your phone needs to be unlocked), but if you want voice data, it'll cost you, A LOT. Please check the OP for data SIM/Wi-Fi options.

If you just need data, rent a pocket WiFi. If you need voice/sms, it will cost you a lot more.

hwalker84

I'm flying today! I got lucky and was able to get free international business class tickets via my air miles so it should be a fun flight experience. Multiple meal service, free drinks for 10hrs (getting drunk then sobering up all in one flight), and a sleep pod seat.

I did business as well. It's the only way to fly international.

Darksol

I got a Japanese SIM through Hanacell for like 30 bucks. The Japanese number is forever tied to me and they charge standard texting and local phone call rates while in Japan.

You can't use it for data or international however. And it won't work outside of Japan. But it was great for my short term day to day needs when I last visited.

For data I just got pocket wi-fi, which worked great.

Ayumi

Thanks for the quick reply!! Now I feel stupid for not having checked the OP beforehand... -_-
It's common courtesy on NeoGAF, OPs are usually made in a way to answer basic/important questions so make sure you always check there before asking.

And it has been asked a billion times so you could also have found the answer if you searched the thread.

(Not trying to sound mean btw, just informing you.)

dani_dc

So I found out that the cemetery where I got lost at night on my way home with no umbrella while it was raining was the Yanaka Cemetery.

I guess that's one place I've already visited!

I did go back there by chance a few days later and it had some really beautiful Sakura blossom though:

I should get around organizing the pictures I took, not that great quality since I've been using my phone/tablet (really need to get a cheap decent camera, any suggestions?), but there might be a few nice ones around there.

Don't worry about it! I feel like it would be cool if we made some sort of online collection of everyone's photos (not just linking them in the OP). Perhaps a JapanGAF (for both residents and visitors) collection with folders for each user where we could make groups/collections on everyone's photos?

Hm, I think it's possible to do that on flickr. Dunno how much more organised it would be though.

That would be very nice, but I'm also unsure at how much work that would be, we might need someone to handle the entire thing though.

You could try to use Skype to place the call if it comes to that.

To add to what's in the OP, here's a list of prepaid cards that you can get within Japan.

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Japan

So I found out that the cemetery where I got lost at night on my way home with no umbrella while it was raining was the Yanaka Cemetery.

I guess that's one place I've already visited!

I did go back there by chance a few days later and it had some really beautiful Sakura blossom though:

I should get around organizing the pictures I took, not that great quality since I've been using my phone/tablet (really need to get a cheap decent camera, any suggestions?), but there might be a few nice ones around there.

That would be very nice, but I'm also unsure at how much work that would be, we might need someone to handle the entire thing though

lol why did you go into the cemetery, at night, during rain? have you not seen enough Japanese horror movies? haha, all kiddings aside, I did that before when I was in Kobe, but just during the day and no rain. they are some pretty interesting places in a way for sure.

as for cameras, now a days you can get a pretty decent one for under $200. I got a Samsung one (can't remeber the model name/number right now but it has 21X zoom) last year AFTER the Thanksgiving Black Friday sale and it was only around $150 on Amazon. get yourself and big memory card (32GB is working fine for me ao far) and some extra batteries and I imagine it'll only cost you a little over $200 at most.

and if someone is willing to start the pictures project, I'll also help where I can and provide loads of my pic from both trips.

btw, anyone know if Mailenstein is around? I PM'ed him a couple days ago and didn't get any replies. just want to see if he's there so I can buy him a drink.

What's the pictures project?

Ayumi was talking about it and some of us figure it's a good idea

dani_dc

lol why did you go into the cemetery, at night, during rain? have you not seen enough Japanese horror movies? haha, all kiddings aside, I did that before when I was in Kobe, but just during the day and no rain. they are some pretty interesting places in a way for sure.

as for cameras, now a days you can get a pretty decent one for under $200. I got a Samsung one (can't remeber the model name/number right now but it has 21X zoom) last year AFTER the Thanksgiving Black Friday sale and it was only around $150 on Amazon. get yourself and big memory card (32GB is working fine for me ao far) and some extra batteries and I imagine it'll only cost you a little over $200 at most.

and if someone is willing to start the pictures project, I'll also help where I can and provide loads of my pic from both trips.

I wasn't intending to go to one, I figure I'd look for a new route home (Why I decided to do that while it was raining is something I cannot explain).

Saw a really dark road and another road to the right, went there first but it was dead end road, so I had the option of going back or going to the dark street, so naturally I decided to do the latter.

Eventually I started seeing graves to my left, kept walking and started seeing graves to my right and that was when I realized I had at some point entered a cemetery.

... For whatever reason I figure I'd find a path home via there so I kept going. Which I did!

I actually didn't figure it was a famous spot until reading about it on a book yesterday!

Wasn't as spooky as I'd imagine it being, I guess because my mind doesn't have the same association of Japanese cemeteries that I do with western cemeteries.

I wasn't intending to go to one, I figure I'd look for a new route home (Why I decided to do that while it was raining is something I cannot explain).

Saw a really dark road and another road to the right, went there first but it was dead end road, so I had the option of going back or going to the dark street, so naturally I decided to do the latter.

Eventually I started seeing graves to my left, kept walking and started seeing graves to my right and that was when I realized I had at some point entered a cemetery.

... For whatever reason I figure I'd find a path home via there so I kept going. Which I did!

I actually didn't figure it was a famous spot until reading about it on a book yesterday!

Wasn't as spooky as I'd imagine it being, I guess because my mind doesn't have the same association of Japanese cemeteries that I do with western cemeteries.

lol just let us know if stuff start to crawl out of your TV, particularly long hair Japanese ladies... lol

Cyd0nia

Banned
Thanks for the tips on things to do in Nara. We fed deer and got to see the great Buddha.. since then we've travelled to Hakone and Lake Ashinoko - Fuji cleared up enough for a good view and it was a sunny day too - we were really lucky! Since then it's been naught but rain and humidity!

I'm back in Tokyo again staying at an APA hotel and hoooly shit at the in-room propaganda material. Checked out the Pokemon mega centre in Ikebukuro today and tomorrow I'm going to meander around the Tokyo Bay area.

I saw my first crack in the veneer of Japanese politeness today. We were in Kagurazaka and a group of young Japanese men had stopped a pudgy looking english speaking dude and asked him to pose for them with masks. They themselves wore some kind of mask I can't describe but the mask they asked him to wear was a sort of off white pink flesh coloured pig mask with slightly human features. The ring leader posed behind this guy in his own mask pointing and holding a rope in this guys direction. The guy posed for them so obediently, I was still giving the benefit of the doubt at this stage, maybe they knew each other and this was some in joke I wasn't getting - but the main guy and his friends, after giggling and photographing this compliant tourist on their phones - then asked him in broken English to pose holding the mask and smile. The guy was blushing and just looked really awkward.. I just knew something was wrong and they were taking the piss. This guy was on his own and oblivious but it made me angry and I felt like saying something. I went away regretting that I didn't but there's still a doubt and possibility I just misunderstood the situation. I'm sure people take the piss out of tourists in Japanese all the time, it wouldn't surprise me if in amongst the constant niceness, thank yous and welcomes that I DO understand - if there's been the odd barb or back handed comment. Or if people have been amused at my getting to grips with trying new food that their children eat no problem. Why not. But seeing these guys mock someone in his own own language and in a deceptive sort of way really disheartened me for some reason. I guess its that IF they WERE taking the piss, it was really mean spirited and they'd really be letting the side down. Everyone else is lovely.

I've experienced more lively areas in recent days - where people relax and drink more, I kind of like it but it does feel like it brings out some truth in people... just as it does everywhere else I guess. In our hotel in Hakone we had a full on sex party going on in the next room. What sounded like four or more guys and two girls. I don't think the girls were hired either, it went on all night and there were morning shags too. In Osaka we saw girls proposiitioning guys for business (who were then practically recoiling and running away) near dotonbori. I've seen my first maid cafes and love hotels etc. I was amused that on visiting Cat Cafe Nyanny in Akihabara there's some sort of salon on the floor below that has felt it necessary to declare on its stairwell poster "this is not a sex shop" along with the image of a crying bunny

In a way, it's nice to learn there's a bit of a darker seedier underbelly as there is elsewhere in the world, because my experience other than the above has been one of supreme helpfulness, politeness, adorableness and professionalism that has me respecting this country more than I probably expected it to. I feel like it should be a place where everybody wants to go, yet I'm glad it isn't - it'a quite busy here enough!

has anyone else had the joy of reading this APA hotel nutter's propaganda?

DMB4237

Neo Member
Hi guys

So my trip is almost finalized for this May, but I have an issue. My final destination is Toyama to see my girlfriend, but I'm taking a really roundabout way because it was the cheapest option offered with my dad's points. I'll be flying from Vancouver to Narita Airport on May 1st (May 2nd in Japan). Immediately after I get my bags, I will hop onto a bus and go to Haneda Airport so that I can take a flight to Osaka.

Here is my issue. I land in Osaka Itami Airport at around 8:15 PM. I was originally planning on taking an overnight bus to Toyama that night, but the reservations for buses filled up way too fast (Golden Week and all)! I can't realistically take the last Thunderbird to there because I don't have enough time to catch it (I would also suspect that it will be pretty full). So, now I have to go to Toyama early the next day (May 3rd) instead if I can catch a Thunderbird.

I don't have a place to sleep that night since I believe that Itami airport closes during the night. I do have a reservation for a few days at a hostel that I had in case me and my girlfriend decided to come to Osaka until the end of Golden Week. but they have a minimum 2-night stay rule when I only need one. Does anyone have any good suggestions as to what I should do?

scogoth

I got a Japanese SIM through Hanacell for like 30 bucks. The Japanese number is forever tied to me and they charge standard texting and local phone call rates while in Japan.

You can't use it for data or international however. And it won't work outside of Japan. But it was great for my short term day to day needs when I last visited.

For data I just got pocket wi-fi, which worked great.

I was under the impression a SIM with voice and text requires an ID card and a Japanese address. Did you just order it online? Their english site no longer exists it seems =(

Hi guys

So my trip is almost finalized for this May, but I have an issue. My final destination is Toyama to see my girlfriend, but I'm taking a really roundabout way because it was the cheapest option offered with my dad's points. I'll be flying from Vancouver to Narita Airport on May 1st (May 2nd in Japan). Immediately after I get my bags, I will hop onto a bus and go to Haneda Airport so that I can take a flight to Osaka.

Here is my issue. I land in Osaka Itami Airport at around 8:15 PM. I was originally planning on taking an overnight bus to Toyama that night, but the reservations for buses filled up way too fast (Golden Week and all)! I can't realistically take the last Thunderbird to there because I don't have enough time to catch it (I would also suspect that it will be pretty full). So, now I have to go to Toyama early the next day (May 3rd) instead if I can catch a Thunderbird.

I don't have a place to sleep that night since I believe that Itami airport closes during the night. I do have a reservation for a few days at a hostel that I had in case me and my girlfriend decided to come to Osaka until the end of Golden Week. but they have a minimum 2-night stay rule when I only need one. Does anyone have any good suggestions as to what I should do?

Can you change your flight from Haneda to Osaka to a morning flight on May 3rd? There is a compact hotel at Haneda that has rooms available. I just checked the three hotels at Kansai Airport and they are all booked.

You could always stay at a manga cafe.

I considered this. How realistic is it to book a manga cafe room and find a coin-locker in Osaka station (for my luggage) at the beginning of Golden Week? I'm totally clueless about this.

How much time do you have in Narita? You could just use baggage delivery service instead of lugging it around with you? Unless you really need it with you or something...

Cyd0nia

Banned
I considered this. How realistic is it to book a manga cafe room and find a coin-locker in Osaka station (for my luggage) at the beginning of Golden Week? I'm totally clueless about this.

My girlfriend and I left our bags in coin lockers overnight at Tokyo while we travelled to Hakone as we only needed a change of clothes. Got to say it was a wonderful idea that lightened the load!

They're at most stations but they're most plentiful at stations with Shinkansen terminals, so Shin-Osaka would be a good place to stow bags. You'll pay once for storing the luggage and again for each calendar day afterwards. I believe station staff empty the locker after three days if you haven't been back though. I'd use a proper left luggage option if you plan on using any more than a day or two.

NaviLink

Hello guys & gals. Last year I had a trip planned up to finally go to Japan after wanting it forever. I have a window opening and I was wondering, what's the best period to go to Japan in the near future? I was thinking September/October, for a couple of weeks.

Hello guys & gals. Last year I had a trip planned up to finally go to Japan after wanting it forever. I have a window opening and I was wondering, what's the best period to go to Japan in the near future? I was thinking September/October, for a couple of weeks.

Late October should be good. In September and early October there can be typhoons.

Jinaar

Alright, than. Let me play this game everyone is playing. I'm heading to Japan with my friend May 1-18th and this is a temp itinerary. Looking for thoughts if the places and time frames will be enough for each place:

MAY 2 - Arrive/Stay - Tokyo
MAY 3 - Day In - Tokyo
MAY 4 - Travel To / Stay - Kyoto
MAY 5 - Day In - Kyoto
MAY 6 - Travel To / Stay - Osaka
MAY 7 - Day In - Osaka
MAY 8 - Day Trip - Nara / Stay - Osaka
MAY 9 - Day Trip - Kobe / Stay - Osaka
MAY 10 - Day Trip - Hemiji / Stay - Osaka
MAY 11 - Travel To - Miyajima / Stay - Hiroshima
MAY 12 - Day In - Hiroshima
MAY 13 - Travel/Stay - Tokyo
MAY 14 - Travel/Stay - Hakone (Might be good to do Hakone before Tokyo)
MAY 15 - Travel/Stay - Tokyo
MAY 16 - Day In - Tokyo
MAY 17 - Day In - Tokyo
MAY 18 - Leave - Tokyo

The biggest issue I have is that I would REALLY like to go to Skirakawa. But I have no idea when that could be possible unless certain items above were removed.

JR Pass looks to be the best option as well for all the traveling, correct? Got lots of traveling.

Already booked the first two nights in Tokyo so all is good there. Just need to figure out where and when we will be to book the rest ahead of time.

Really looking forward to this. Thanks for any thoughts anyone has for us, cheers!!

DMB4237

Neo Member
I ended up getting a hotel for the night in Osaka. A little expensive, but I think I will need the rest after the trip. Thanks for the help everyone!

Top Bottom