• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

Malyse

Sadly this will never happen :( As soon as i saw the gameplay i realized i need to replay shadow hearts.

I don't expect it to; Schoolgirl Strikers got an anime on Crunchyroll and DOA DLC outfits and still didn't come. But I didn't think Million Arthur (or the sequel) would come either.

Mashiro Witch: Midnight Marchen isn't coming either but it would be nice if it did.

jengo

Is XFLAG trying to push Fight League as a big esport game or something? I keep trying to watch footage and it just looks so unappealing

Instead I go and watch #compass videos and it basically looks like what Fight League should be. Anybody play? Gonna start the reroll process today maybe

I've been playing a lot more than I thought I would. It's gonna need to speed up new content to keep the drip feed going, but so far I like that I haven't run into huge balance issues with decks. It seems kinda weird they made Tags QR code only though.

What's "#compass"?

I've been playing a lot more than I thought I would. It's gonna need to speed up new content to keep the drip feed going, but so far I like that I haven't run into huge balance issues with decks. It seems kinda weird they made Tags QR code only though.

What's "#compass"?

3v3 arena battler. You win either by capping all five objectives (rare) or by holding a majority of points after 3 minutes. There's heroes with various traits as well as cards of which you bring four into each fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slQPELwEk4w&feature=youtu.be&t=210

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I don't expect it to; Schoolgirl Strikers got an anime on Crunchyroll and DOA DLC outfits and still didn't come. But I didn't think Million Arthur (or the sequel) would come either.

Mashiro Witch: Midnight Marchen isn't coming either but it would be nice if it did.
Madoka is probably coming before Mashiro; will be interesting if it preemptively kills it.

linkent

Hate it when stuff like this happens. If i can't run it on my iphone i won't bother with it. All transactions and premium stuff are server sided, why even bother with jb protection.
not to mention the game is purely single player..

I got memu working through this guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gvd1dUuG2Q

Thanks will try it.
Do you still have that .OVA files?
the server seems to overload that we cant download it anymore.

it works!
found the mirror
https://mega.nz/#!Oo8TjQSA!zT0akTB_pCg1XxzwJ2IahQ-hrDvIebHNgNPbdSCBfEM

just realised OT is up.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1396977

will post there too

jengo

3v3 arena battler. You win either by capping all five objectives (rare) or by holding a majority of points after 3 minutes. There's heroes with various traits as well as cards of which you bring four into each fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slQPELwEk4w&feature=youtu.be&t=210

Oh snap, thanks I'll check it out! Dwango/NicoNico developed/operate it so I guess there's where that e-sports focus comes from.

Fight League's teaser made it look way more accessible to the global market than it is I think. As soon as there's a grid and all these cards, they lose the Western market unfortunately...

Shouta

not to mention the game is purely single player..

Thanks will try it.
Do you still have that .OVA files?
the server seems to overload that we cant download it anymore.

it works!
found the mirror
https://mega.nz/#!Oo8TjQSA!zT0akTB_pCg1XxzwJ2IahQ-hrDvIebHNgNPbdSCBfEM

just realised OT is up.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1396977

will post there too

Just an FYI but if they ever ban accounts, if you played on a rooted/jailbroken phone, they might ban you as a part of the sweep. It's what happened to me when I played JP. You can probably get them to lift your account but I dunno as I didn't bother.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
GOTY 2017 announced
6a14267b5e9ad451b02b4a40681fd1971.jpg

Ephidel

I'm playing Project Tokyo Dolls and I have a really stupid question.
How do I back up my account?
The only option I can find wants me to link it to a Square Enix account, so I set up and activated a Japanese Square Enix account so I would be able to do that. Unfortunately when I try to connect to it in game it tells me I have to wait for an email that never comes.
Is there some other way I'm overlooking?

Malyse

I'm playing Project Tokyo Dolls and I have a really stupid question.
How do I back up my account?
The only option I can find wants me to link it to a Square Enix account, so I set up and activated a Japanese Square Enix account so I would be able to do that. Unfortunately when I try to connect to it in game it tells me I have to wait for an email that never comes.
Is there some other way I'm overlooking?

In theory you can use any of the social accounts. In theory. I pushed through with a Members Account, since I've had a JP one for years now. Check your spam and make sure you are using the japanese members site.

-----

Holy shit the music for Mashiro Witch

your garden
blackstarlight (this is amazing)
冥闇ワルツ
lingering affection
Candy in the dark
nonstandard fiction

Rahk

Is XFLAG trying to push Fight League as a big esport game or something? I keep trying to watch footage and it just looks so unappealing

Instead I go and watch #compass videos and it basically looks like what Fight League should be. Anybody play? Gonna start the reroll process today maybe
I've been playing both #compass and Fight League since they came out.

Really enjoyed #compass at first but it has started to get a bit stale and have dropped off a bit, although the new characters and cards keep it a bit refreshing. The matchmaking is sometimes terrible where you go against characters with cards levelled up way above you so you have no chance, and the only way to level them up above 20 is to get them multiple times from the gacha. It's generally pretty fair and when you're starting out the matchmaking should be fine though. I'd say it's generous with free rewards compared to most gacha games, and while you probably won't get to the top ranks anytime soon being F2P it's still fun. You can buy a Prime bonus which is about 320 Yen per month, and is probably worth it if you play it a lot as you get extra bonuses and rewards. I think the cost of the in-game currency is fairer compared to most other gacha games too, although the gacha may not be quite as rewarding sometimes because of it.

I'm actually really enjoying Fight League, maybe as much as #compass when it first came out. They're really different games so it's not really fair to compare them. FL is more of a turn-based tactical game, whereas #compass is straight up action. If you don't know what's going on it's probably hard to understand what's good about it just watching videos - you need to try it. I feel that there's more depth to it than #compass and I might stick with it longer. All the factions have different styles of play and manage to be fairly balanced. I've been playing Gwent recently and it kind of reminds me of that in some ways. Seems pretty generous with free rewards too, although once all the feats are completed that will probably be reduced a bit. The in-game currency is a complete rip-off, but I guess that's to be expected.

Skrams

So is anyone else playing the new Macross rhythm game currently? It's in closed beta, but that didn't stop anyone from just getting the apk for it on Android.

I've not tried looking very hard, but I've not seen any talk about it or a reddit or anything like that. I mostly just wish someone could do some translating so I could actually understand the ins and outs of these plates or systems. I don't think I'm missing much, but I have no idea. I can navigate the game fine as it's not very complicated and I can read some simple sentences or katakana, but there's still a lot I can't decipher.

I also fucking suck and fail a lot of songs on Very Hard. I like to think I'm ok at Rhythm Games because I can play some Project Diva on Extreme semi competently, but I'm having some johns because it's a touch based phone rhythm game. My phone also just decides to give out and not register my inputs at times due to my disgusting, greasy, sweaty fingers or something.

As a big Macross fan though, it's really cool to see a bunch of these dumb characters send text messages to each other across space and time. I know I could just play Macross 30 or something, but this is a free phone game so eh. The bits I can understand are genuinely super cool or funny scenarios that make sense for the characters.

Also the gacha is really crammed in there with dumb stats from "plates," which are just screenshots from the shows with a few being actual separate art. Some of it's a bit goofy though so it's pretty alright.

Not really bad, but the game is super front loaded with Frontier and some Delta songs mostly. It's making me have to fucking work to get some SDF and 7 which seem to be held super far out of reach. Honestly, I'd rather just buy a Macross Rhythm game on Vita, but they don't want to give me that for some reason. It'd be nice having buttons.

Oh, the dance choreography is also fucking super great. It's been a bit, but it feels like it's on par or better than Persona 4 Dancing All Night honestly. Except you can use any singer here and you aren't restricted to one for a song. It's really good work for a mobile game honestly. Also it destroys my phone because 3D, so I usually have it turned off.

jengo

Really enjoyed #compass at first but it has started to get a bit stale and have dropped off a bit, although the new characters and cards keep it a bit refreshing. The matchmaking is sometimes terrible where you go against characters with cards levelled up way above you so you have no chance, and the only way to level them up above 20 is to get them multiple times from the gacha. It's generally pretty fair and when you're starting out the matchmaking should be fine though. I'd say it's generous with free rewards compared to most gacha games, and while you probably won't get to the top ranks anytime soon being F2P it's still fun. You can buy a Prime bonus which is about 320 Yen per month, and is probably worth it if you play it a lot as you get extra bonuses and rewards. I think the cost of the in-game currency is fairer compared to most other gacha games too, although the gacha may not be quite as rewarding sometimes because of it.

I'm actually really enjoying Fight League, maybe as much as #compass when it first came out. They're really different games so it's not really fair to compare them. FL is more of a turn-based tactical game, whereas #compass is straight up action. If you don't know what's going on it's probably hard to understand what's good about it just watching videos - you need to try it. I feel that there's more depth to it than #compass and I might stick with it longer. All the factions have different styles of play and manage to be fairly balanced. I've been playing Gwent recently and it kind of reminds me of that in some ways. Seems pretty generous with free rewards too, although once all the feats are completed that will probably be reduced a bit. The in-game currency is a complete rip-off, but I guess that's to be expected.

Are you playing Fight League in Japan or in a different country? I wonder if the leagues have already been set up globally, and if they're structured like they are in Japan now (eg: ward/city→province→country)

Rahk

Are you playing Fight League in Japan or in a different country? I wonder if the leagues have already been set up globally, and if they're structured like they are in Japan now (eg: ward/city→province→country)
Playing in Japan, so I'm not sure. I'm curious to know too.

So is anyone else playing the new Macross rhythm game currently? It's in closed beta, but that didn't stop anyone from just getting the apk for it on Android.

I haven't played it, waiting for it on ios, but I've seen a few "leaked" vids and screens and the quality looks better than I was expecting. The lack of details/updates on their site and fact their official youtube channel has the songs muted didn't inspire a lot of hope.

I'm a huge Macross fan as well, especially 7, which looking on the reddit now a days seems to be the black sheep. But when I was 11 Fire Bomber was (is) my Beatles.

I'm looking forward to it now. I've been playing BanG Dream recently to scratch that rhythm game itch, just got my first 4*, woo. Seeing some gameplay and that there are "only" four lanes bolsters me a little. BanDori has 7 and I can only do one or two songs on extreme.

All these Macross ladies and here I am just hoping to draw Basara. BOMBAAAA!

I continue to play Project Tokyo Dolls and it continues to be addicting. I went from hating guns at first to now they are my favorite. Reina4Life. (though I'm warming up to Yuki).

Malyse

I haven't played it, waiting for it on ios, but I've seen a few "leaked" vids and screens and the quality looks better than I was expecting. The lack of details/updates on their site and fact their official youtube channel has the songs muted didn't inspire a lot of hope.

I'm a huge Macross fan as well, especially 7, which looking on the reddit now a days seems to be the black sheep. But when I was 11 Fire Bomber was (is) my Beatles.

I'm looking forward to it now. I've been playing BanG Dream recently to scratch that rhythm game itch, just got my first 4*, woo. Seeing some gameplay and that there are "only" four lanes bolsters me a little. BanDori has 7 and I can only do one or two songs on extreme.

I continue to play Project Tokyo Dolls and it continues to be addicting. I went from hating guns at first to now they are my favorite. Reina4Life. (though I'm warming up to Yuki).

Stay away from my Yuki.

aitakute

Project Tokyo Doll looks interesting but lots of comment on the app store complained that gacha rate is bad (like 1%) and you need to get same copies to limit break to get stronger to clear harder contents. Is that true? The game is getting mixed reviews because of that and... Square Enix?

Malyse

Project Tokyo Doll looks interesting but lots of comment on the app store complained that gacha rate is bad (like 1%) and you need to get same copies to limit break to get stronger to clear harder contents. Is that true? The game is getting mixed reviews because of that and... Square Enix?
You don't get many dupes and you need a pretty wide variety of drops. Also, the game isn't that hard if you have good timing.

In my experience the drops are no worse than any other gacha game. Embrace the SSR.
I'm rolling a team of 3 SSR (four stars) one of each element. I have 5 SSRs in total, and was able to limit break one of them once (max 4). I feel like I'm doing well in the story content and OK with events. Been mostly farming xp potion events.

I've reached the point with gacha games that I'm content being mediocre at the start and if I really like the game I'll stick with it long enough I'll probably get lucky. Tokyo Dolls timing combat is just fun to play and the game is gorgeous. The clothing moves and looks good in the idle animations and the special attacks (even after seeing them 100s of times) are cool.

In the past I've spent entire weeks trying to re-roll in games to get top tier characters but I just don't have it in me anymore to care that badly.
The primary risk is since it's Square it could die within a year if not profitable, but it looks darn good and if School Girl Strikers can go on it's 3rd year I think this has a good chance. In my opinion this is the evolution of that game but way more interesting.

As much as I was hyped and wanted to like SINoALICE it really didn't do anything for me. The premise is cool, Taro's story is interesting and the music is fantastic but the aesthetics and game play don't really do anything for me on top if it taking crazy amount of resources to be successful. Not to mention it's been in maintenance hell since launch which I think is getting better. I'm still logging in to get free stuff and saving my 1000's of stones for the Nier Automata event whenever that happens but not really invested.

aitakute

In my experience the drops are no worse than any other gacha game. Embrace the SSR.
I'm rolling a team of 3 SSR (four stars) one of each element. I have 5 SSRs in total, and was able to limit break one of them once (max 4). I feel like I'm doing well in the story content and OK with events. Been mostly farming xp potion events.

I've reached the point with gacha games that I'm content being mediocre at the start and if I really like the game I'll stick with it long enough I'll probably get lucky. Tokyo Dolls timing combat is just fun to play and the game is gorgeous. The clothing moves and looks good in the idle animations and the special attacks (even after seeing them 100s of times) are cool.

In the past I've spent entire weeks trying to re-roll in games to get top tier characters but I just don't have it in me anymore to care that badly.
The primary risk is since it's Square it could die within a year if not profitable, but it looks darn good and if School Girl Strikers can go on it's 3rd year I think this has a good chance. In my opinion this is the evolution of that game but way more interesting.

As much as I was hyped and wanted to like SINoALICE it really didn't do anything for me. The premise is cool, Taro's story is interesting and the music is fantastic but the aesthetics and game play don't really do anything for me on top if it taking crazy amount of resources to be successful. Not to mention it's been in maintenance hell since launch which I think is getting better. I'm still logging in to get free stuff and saving my 1000's of stones for the Nier Automata event whenever that happens but not really invested.

SSR isn't the highest rank, right? I heard that UR is the rarest and is like 1% rate.

Thanks for the write up. Don't really have room for another gacha game atm though, maybe I'll check out fight league after the game matures a bit.

SSR isn't the highest rank, right? I heard that UR is the rarest and is like 1% rate.

That is right, but 1% isn't unheard of, I think that's what it is in Fate GO which I just started the English version of. I re-rolled in PTD about 5 times with no URs so I stopped when I pulled 2 SSRs and got a 3rd soon after to start me off. Now I have five total. No URs after about 5 11 pulls and a handful of free tickets. Luck in gacha doesn't bother me anymore, if it did I probably wouldn't bother playing any of them.

Yaari

Been playing PTD for a few days. I like it a lot. I rerolled for UR. It's easy now with the fast method using memu. I went for a 2 UR account.

There's a bug currently where each sixth single draw is a guaranteed SSR. They will probably fix this soon.

Gameplay is fun too

Been playing PTD for a few days. I like it a lot. I rerolled for UR. It's easy now with the fast method using memu. I went for a 2 UR account.

There's a bug currently where each sixth single draw is a guaranteed SSR. They will probably fix this soon.

Gameplay is fun too

whaaat

aitakute

I'm trying Project Tokyo Doll. The gameplay is okay so far but the story is just plain bad. Dude met a girl randomly, then monsters appeared nearly killed her. Mysterious woman shown up saying that she's chosen and can choose to live as a doll or die as human. She choose to live and turned into a Doll. Dude is shocked to see that she lost her emotions and memories. Tried to wake her up, woman said it's useless. Suddenly "I know you! I know your memories!" and she woke up. Dude, you just met her like a few minutes ago.

Ephidel

In theory you can use any of the social accounts. In theory. I pushed through with a Members Account, since I've had a JP one for years now. Check your spam and make sure you are using the japanese members site.
Still not having any luck with this. I like my account, I'd feel a lot better if I knew I could restore it if I run into any problems :|

Gameplay is fun too
Ha, I hadn't heard about this, and I wasn't really sure I believed it could be true when I read it, but having given it a go it seems possible.
I'd done a few single pulls before and then decided to save up. I'm assuming I must have done three before, because three pulls into my new run I got SSR Aya, then on my ninth pull I got SSR Yuki. I already had both of those, but they'll be useful for limit breaks. I'll see if I can gather enough crystals to do another set before they fix it. Thanks for the heads up.

jengo

I'm trying Project Tokyo Doll. The gameplay is okay so far but the story is just plain bad. Dude met a girl randomly, then monsters appeared nearly killed her. Mysterious woman shown up saying that she's chosen and can choose to live as a doll or die as human. She choose to live and turned into a Doll. Dude is shocked to see that she lost her emotions and memories. Tried to wake her up, woman said it's useless. Suddenly "I know you! I know your memories!" and she woke up. Dude, you just met her like a few minutes ago.

I don't know what you're talking about. Happens a lot with girls I meet at the idol concerts I go to all the time...

Jeffrey

so is fgo story suppose to be good? Doesn't start out well lol. Localization doesn't help.

but then I've always found Fate vn to age terribly. Was neat in middle school, but now... I can't stand it haha. I did like fate zero though.

chrono01

so is fgo story suppose to be good? Doesn't start out well lol. Localization doesn't help.

but then I've always found Fate vn to age terribly. Was neat in middle school, but now... I can't stand it haha. I did like fate zero though.
I've heard it gets much better as it goes on.

casiopao

It is good for Fate series fan. If you are not a fan, i would suggest stay as far as possible.^_^

Sölf

Nearly making progress in King's Raid. Tomorrow, after the daily reset (since it's 7 PM EU time on the Asian server) I finally get my second 5* character, which will be Cleo. That should open up a few more normal and hard mode quests and allow me to progress a bit more. Aside from that, I am getting to the point where the dragons will start to kill me (level 50+ red, level 40+ Blue/Black). I am glad that I reached these levels though and can kill them, so I get access to T5 weapons and T4 armor/accessoires.

As for the main quest, I am stuck on "Reach Attribute 3 for a skill". 120 normal skillbooks, this will take at least 2 weeks I guess. >_>

Skrams

I've not played much of any rhythm games on a phone before, but I can play some regular ass shit like the Project Diva games fine on Hard/Extreme. This I can easily play shit on Hard, but I struggle at Very Hard a bit. The Extreme difficulty is only available for one song right now as a Miss Macross event. I imagine they'll become more widely available as this shit gets out of Beta.

Also I don't know if it's because it's a beta, but you can't choose Basara currently. At the beginning of the game you're given a choice of every major idol besides Mylene from Macross. So Delta, Frontier, and Minmay. You can choose one and then you unlock the others as you go. If Basara was pickable I would of chosen him from the beginning. The gacha comes from equippable Plates aka screenshots from the show and some art for the 4/5 stars. The main out of reach thing is costumes for the characters. You get the plates with tiny skill trees which help you accumulate points to unlock the costumes. The costumes have some stats to them too. It's a bit weird, but I don't play a ton of gacha so maybe this is normal.

The songs are as you expect except the song snippets are super tiny compared to what you might expect.

And yeah, Macross 7 is great. If you understand that the show is a bit stretched out since it was popular then it's fine. All the bullshit about animation never made sense to me. Besides that, it's just a big, fun, goofy time. I listen to their Re Fire album pretty much daily to weekly. The song Magic Rhapsody clicks with me super well.

But despite all of this, there's only been one song in this game for 7 so far, "Try Again." They're held so fucking far up the level up ladder. There's probably more, but it's just so far out of reach right now.

Malyse

Gameplay is fun too

Probably not. They don't want to get in trouble for making people spend too much.

Also, yes the drop rate for UR is 1% but they only have 9 UR in the entire game. SSR is 9% drop, so an 11 draw should usually net one of the two.

Visceir

Thanks.
Lost Order and Terra Battle 2 are my two most hyped games.
(can't go wrong with Matsuno and Gooch)

If they both release end of summer, free time is absolutely doomed.

Hype on TB2 deflated after I saw the reveal. Now I'm banking on Lost Order being something amazing, haha.

Top Bottom