• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

Uthred

Thanks, I suppose I'll nominally re-roll for Waver, but probably break and take any 5* ;)

As it is, I remain F2P in 99% of the gatcha games I play (I very rarely spend money), but if they had offers such as the one I mentioned that's available in GBF, I'd easily spend monthly purchases to show my support. I find it difficult to spend money as it is now, given the price for in-game currency being as high as it is and no guarantee to fall back on. :/

Absolutely agree, GBF is basically the only gacha game I spend any significant amount of money on with any regularity. The price for in-game currency, to use for what amounts to a gamble with terrible odds, is nuts in most games.

Jeffrey

doesn't matter the price of currency, its all about the rates. 5% minimum for rate ups of the highest rarity, or its hard for me to care about the game lol.

give me a 'fighting chance' at the very least. a bunch of free summoning tickets and currency is pointless if there is like no chance of getting the top things lol.

Absolutely agree, GBF is basically the only gacha game I spend any significant amount of money on with any regularity. The price for in-game currency, to use for what amounts to a gamble with terrible odds, is nuts in most games.
I started playing BanG Dream recently and bought into what I think is an interesting deal to support it. Every month you can buy a rouhly $15 package for 1000 gems up front that count as paid. You then get 80 "free" gems every day for 25 days which adds up to another 2,000. A normal pull is 250 bit once a day you can do a single pull for 60 paid gems. Gives me something to look forward too each day instead of hording for a multipull for weeks just to be disappointed. The game is so far fairly generous too.

Shouta

Concerning gatcha games, I'm genuinely surprised more of them don't adopt Granblue Fantasy's method of selling the occasional ticket for a ten-pull, as well as an additional ticket that let's you choose any currently-available characters in the gatcha, that interests you.

I get why some gatcha companies don't employ this, since it's easier for whales to whale when there's no guarantee, but you'd think they would earn more revenue overall by having a feature such as this, as it would draw in whales as well as dolphins, and soon-to-be dolphins. Honestly, I'd spend a lot more if more had this system in-place, and considering the power creep of many of these gatcha games, it's not as though new characters wouldn't be released shortly after, that would encourage the spenders to continue to spend (either for the aforementioned power creep, or because it's one of your favorite characters).

Quite a few gatcha games sell ten-pull tickets and tickets to pick your preferred character from a pool. I've brought it up a few times in this thread but Hortensia Saga has some very nice gatcha methods like an EX system where whatever units you don't want, you can use them to fill a gauge where it guarantees you one unit from your choice of 8. Real shame that the US release was mishandled.

Guaranteed highest pulls are pretty standard now too as well.

chrono01

Quite a few gatcha games sell ten-pull tickets and tickets to pick your preferred character from a pool. I've brought it up a few times in this thread but Hortensia Saga has some very nice gatcha methods like an EX system where whatever units you don't want, you can use them to fill a gauge where it guarantees you one unit from your choice of 8. Real shame that the US release was mishandled.

Guaranteed highest pulls are pretty standard now too as well.
Sorry, I meant to say localized gatcha games. Granted, GBF isn't localized so much as it offers an English translation, so I'm not so sure I can include that one in my list either. :(

As far as I know, the only Japanese gatcha game, that offers choose-your-own tickets as well as an English translation, is GBF. Even then, since it's essentially a Japanese game with an English language option, you need to go through a few hoops to purchase the coins needed to buy the ticket bundle, assuming you're on iOS and not Android where you can buy them directly from your Google Wallet. I am relieved to see it be a more standard thing though, in the other Japanese offerings. Here's hoping it spreads to further releases, as it's something I definitely support.

And yeah, it's a damn shame how Hortensia Saga was handled. It got an English translation (albeit, a sub-optimal one) and a limited release on iOS before it was cancelled. I only played a bit of it, but I could definitely see the potential it had. Sega just cannot handle their global gatcha games at all. :/

Azusa

Concerning gatcha games, I'm genuinely surprised more of them don't adopt Granblue Fantasy's method of selling the occasional ticket for a ten-pull, as well as an additional ticket that let's you choose any currently-available characters in the gatcha, that interests you.

No need. Unlike granblue you dont need a huge pool of characters to clear all content.

doesn't matter the price of currency, its all about the rates. 5% minimum for rate ups of the highest rarity, or its hard for me to care about the game lol.

I understand this mindset but when you can clear all content easily with mostly 3* and few 4* stars its a bit meaningless. 1% makes 5* special and rare materials to evolve it later also adds a special feel. I'm playing JP ver for almost a year and rolled a lot of 4* and 5*. I'm f2p. I only bought premium currency once to roll on guaranteed 5* gatcha on New Year.

High rates make the game worse. Why? Just because the rate is high developers will make sure that you will need to roll more often otherwise devs wont make money. I dont want to be forced to roll for 5*.

Thanks, I suppose I'll nominally re-roll for Waver, but probably break and take any 5* ;)

Here is the great list of servants guides:

https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/comments/5hc8p5/guide_to_mmm_links_ordered_by_servant_includes/

Also I dont think rolling 5* is a good idea at all. But you can do whatever you want.

Its not good because materials are too hard to get. And for example Jeannu is very weak until you max level her. Her real growth starts after level 60. Its not that easy to farm EXP in the first weeks. Also consider party cost. Any 5* will eat all cost and you will have hard time using other servants in the same party. I think rolling 5* at start is a mistake unless its a Waver :D

I will try to get 5* CE or just few 4*. Or maybe I will get initial roll 4* and play with it until better gatcha.

aitakute

Danmachi let you buy ten-pull + ticket to pick any character too

chrono01

No need. Unlike granblue you dont need a huge pool of characters to clear all content.
It's not so much a "need" for me, but a want. I just enjoy playing with my favorite characters and such, despite not technically being required to beat that particular piece of content.

Really cool to see that strong characters aren't really required for Fate/GO, though. I guess I don't need to really stress over (potentially) not being able to pull a large amount of 5* characters, but I'll definitely re-roll for one (as I do in all of the gatcha games I play, regardless of whether it's needed or not, haha).

Danmachi let you buy ten-pull + ticket to pick any character too
You and your Danmachi!

Man, I'd love to play it, if only it gets an English localization. I know it never will, I've come to terms with this. It's strange enough that such a thing exists in the first place, despite the series it's based off of being a lot of fun.

Uthred

I started playing BanG Dream recently and bought into what I think is an interesting deal to support it. Every month you can buy a rouhly $15 package for 1000 gems up front that count as paid. You then get 80 "free" gems every day for 25 days which adds up to another 2,000. A normal pull is 250 bit once a day you can do a single pull for 60 paid gems. Gives me something to look forward too each day instead of hording for a multipull for weeks just to be disappointed. The game is so far fairly generous too.

Fantasy War Tactics had a similar system where you pay about a fiver per month which felt fairly reasonable.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Why aren't you guys playing Project Tokyo Dolls instead?
VqQFfys.png
Annoying that you gotta change your phone to match Japan time tho. :p

Yu Narukami

I tried the Japanese version of Fate and the loading times were horrible. Is it because it was the Japanese version? I hope the US version won't be as bad for us Europeans.

Azusa

I tried the Japanese version of Fate and the loading times were horrible. Is it because it was the Japanese version? I hope the US version won't be as bad for us Europeans.

Because you didn't use the option to download everything. Thats why the game had to download all assets when you need them.

Jeffrey

I understand this mindset but when you can clear all content easily with mostly 3* and few 4* stars its a bit meaningless. 1% makes 5* special and rare materials to evolve it later also adds a special feel. I'm playing JP ver for almost a year and rolled a lot of 4* and 5*. I'm f2p. I only bought premium currency once to roll on guaranteed 5* gatcha on New Year.

High rates make the game worse. Why? Just because the rate is high developers will make sure that you will need to roll more often otherwise devs wont make money. I dont want to be forced to roll for 5*.

Here is the great list of servants guides:

https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/comments/5hc8p5/guide_to_mmm_links_ordered_by_servant_includes/

Also I dont think rolling 5* is a good idea at all. But you can do whatever you want.

Its not good because materials are too hard to get. And for example Jeannu is very weak until you max level her. Her real growth starts after level 60. Its not that easy to farm EXP in the first weeks. Also consider party cost. Any 5* will eat all cost and you will have hard time using other servants in the same party. I think rolling 5* at start is a mistake unless its a Waver :D

I will try to get 5* CE or just few 4*. Or maybe I will get initial roll 4* and play with it until better gatcha.

Can't live life second rate!

Hmmm does FGO have friends system? Like can a whale friend carry you?

Never been a huge fan of those lol. Main reason I've stopped playing ffbe. Beating hard stuff doesn't feel that great when I'm being carried by whale's lol.

Hmmm does FGO have friends system? Like can a whale friend carry you?

Game is basically balanced around whale friends. Just everybody has at least a handful of 90/90 10/10/10 merlins and/or wavers in their support list.
Sure, plenty of people clear the hardest content without them, to prove a point, but ultimately, it's like those soul level 1 dark souls runs.. it's not normal operation for the game.

I appreciate Fight League having an English translation; if only they did the same with Monster Strike.

Also, Crash Fever global is getting its 8 million downloads update tomorrow with some hatchers that feature rate up on top tier units. As well as giving away a couple of 5 star units. Needless to say it's the best time to start rerolling.

garath

I don't know if I want to reroll in FGO with a 1% 5* rate. :(

I would look for at least a 4* but those lists linked so far weren't good reroll lists. I don't know if having a single 4* it 5* support is better than a damage dealer for example. What makes the most impact in short and mid games. Or is it best to reroll for the long game with such low rates.

Mupod

my only experience with games of this ilk is FE Heroes so this in particular is interesting to see. I definitely tend to prefer strong characters over personal favorites, but I don't have the attachment to FE that I do to Fate or type-moon nonsense in general.

From what I'm seeing here though, the characters I'd really want (caster Tamamo and Shiki) won't be around for a while. Do we have any idea how long it'd be for them to be added to the english release, or is it all unknown still?

Azusa

From what I'm seeing here though, the characters I'd really want (caster Tamamo and Shiki) won't be around for a while. Do we have any idea how long it'd be for them to be added to the english release, or is it all unknown still?

Tamamo was added on Halloween event in the 1st year.

Dandte

anyone knows if a "US" is worth it in Fighter league?

There are only 5 us in the game right now, one for each brand...yeah kinda good. Got kaguya and the beat guy after way to many rerolls on my 3 initial rolls. One reroll had the hero us and a good amount of heros.

Kitoro

I installed Fight League, and I pulled a US Franky The Monster.

Do I want to set him as my "goalie," or is he better served on the field? He seems like his skill activates at entrance, which doesn't seem to take effect if he's in the goalie spot. Pretty sure I answered my own question. :p

I'm not sure how I feel about this game so far. The game moves at a snail's pace, and I wish I could just turn off animations and use 2D art coins instead of this 3D slog.

EDIT: Oh.. it looks like his entrance does 500 damage to ME? I guess he's a good leader after all, haha.

Azusa

NA FGO releases June 25th at 9 pm PDT.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 22, 2017
Fate/Grand Order Summons Fans to Anime Expo 2017
© TYPE-MOON / FGO PROJECT

Aniplex of America to host Launch Celebration for English-language version of acclaimed mobile RPG

LOS ANGELES, CA – June 22, 2017 – Aniplex of America has announced today that it will host a Launch Celebration for the English-language release of Fate/Grand Order at the upcoming Anime Expo in Los Angeles, CA. The event will be held on July 1st at 3:00 pm local time in Petree Hall of the Los Angeles Convention Center, and will open admittance to approximately 2,000 show attendees.

The celebration will include special guest appearances by franchise luminaries including Fate/Grand Order Producer and Aniplex Inc. President Atsuhiro Iwakami, DELiGHTWORKS Creative Director Yosuke Shiokawa, and Fate series voice actor Ayako Kawasumi (Saber). A printed mini-poster with Ms. Kawasumi's signature will be featured as an exclusive giveaway at the Launch Celebration.

The English-language version of Fate/Grand Order will officially launch in North America on June 25th at 9 pm PDT for iOS and Android devices, and will be available for download from the Apple App Store and Google Play.

Source: http://www.aniplexusa.com/pdf/PR_An...d_Order_Launch_Celebration_at_ Anime_Expo.pdf

Tidd

Announcing an exact time for a server-based game, great idea. Can't wait when everyone will try it out and reroll at 9:01 pm.

My bet is that the server will go down within the first 30 minutes!

Faynwulf

A great time for us europeans. I'd be pissed too if I was from the US, though.

I'll just get up early and start rerolling.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Announcing an exact time for a server-based game, great idea. Can't wait when everyone will try it out and reroll at 9:01 pm.

My bet is that the server will go down within the first 30 minutes!

I don't think these games are THAT popular :p

chrono01

You should reroll in fight league, units look so good :D
No Japanese iTunes account, although I could always create one.

Maybe I'll just play it through Nox and see if it's something I'd enjoy or not first. The announcement trailer for it was horrible, though I'm glad to hear that the game is quite different than what you'd expect.

Really not happy about the release time. I have a busy day on Monday, so I was hoping I'd be able to get in a few re-roll sessions on Sunday to see if I could secure my account ASAP. As it is, I guess it'll be Tuesday before I get to play the game at all, but I'm estimating servers crashes/maintenance and such, so that's probably not a bad thing.

Strange they didn't go for an earlier time, though. Friday would have been perfect, to give us all time to play over the weekend, but maybe they didn't want to release going into a weekend, just in-case there are game issues and they need to bring in technical support.

I guess it's a few more days for me. I've waited this long, I can last a couple more.

Tidd

I don't think these games are THAT popular :p

Never underestimate the power of waifus!
But seriously, the game barely got 50k likes on facebook as a "pre-registration". And based on that they will set up their servers. Now include the case that the developer doesn't really expect that all 50k will try out the game at the same time which means they will set up servers for even less people. Then there are people who will reroll with 23948923230 emulator instances (if it's possible to play with one). Maybe I'm just too pessimistic.

Draxal

Never underestimate the power of waifus!
But seriously, the game barely got 50k likes on facebook as a "pre-registration". And based on that they will set up their servers. Now include the case that the developer doesn't really expect that all 50k will try out the game at the same time which means they will set up servers for even less people. Then there are people who will reroll with 23948923230 emulator instances (if it's possible to play with one). Maybe I'm just too pessimistic.

Nobody wants to like this game on their facebook account. If it was twitter the campaign would be much more successful.

MiTYH

9pm PACIFIC?

Come on, that's not the 25th for most of the world. And I'm busy a lot the beginning of next week. I might need someone here to assist with rerolling....

chrono01

How will rerolling work for FGO? Just install/uninstall?
I hope this isn't one of those gatcha games that becomes tied to the iOS device when you start it. Hate those, since it makes re-rolling impossible unless you factory reset your device which, obviously, I'll never do. Thankfully those are rare.

Edit:

Oh Fight League is available on the Canadian iOS app store after all (not available yet in the US, it seems). I guess I'll download and try it out, but I'm doubtful it'll hold my interest with F/GO releasing in a few days.

Top Bottom