• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

There seems to be something... odd with kickstarting a gacha game. Some cognitive dissonance going on.

I was thinking about that earlier this morning. Backing a gatcha so it can later take more money from you through bad rolls.

I don't know how I feel about that to be honest.

Kitoro

I was thinking about that earlier this morning. Backing a gatcha so it can later take more money from you through bad rolls.

I don't know how I feel about that to be honest.

It's really more for marketing purposes, I think. It gets the project in front of lots of eyes.

Truth be told, I'm actually making a gacha game, as well, that should be releasing around November. I'm planning on launching a Kickstarter campaign around September, purely to try and amass some marketing capital, get a stable of passionate closed beta testers, and offering a backer exclusive unit and some pretty generous rewards.

However, my game, unlike most gacha games, doesn't have trash units; all units are equally usable, shining in specific scenarios, but players will want 4 units of each element and class. Thankfully, for players who don't have complete teams, local and online co-op is also available throughout every mode, so players can reach out for help.

It's a mobile game unlike anything before it, and offers live, team-based co-op with MMO-like Tank, DPS, and Healer roles, simplified to look and play smoothly and simply on a touch screen. I'll need all the exposure I can get, so Kickstarter will definitely be helpful to get the word out there.

It's a mobile game unlike anything before it, and offers live, team-based co-op with MMO-like Tank, DPS, and Healer roles, simplified to look and play smoothly and simply on a touch screen. I'll need all the exposure I can get, so Kickstarter will definitely be helpful to get the word out there.
Great art and waifus should always be priority if you want that $$$.
u.u

Kitoro

Great art and waifus should always be priority if you want that $$$.
u.u

Definitely, though I'm prioritizing substance over style, and this is geared more towards being something close friends and families will want to play together; a much needed reprieve from the few other options out there like Heads Up or Spaceteam.

Gone from my game are 1-6*/D-SSS tier units, finite storage space, trash unit fusion, prohibitive energy systems, and overwhelming UI clutter.

It's a big risk, and it swims against the usual gacha current, but I want to bring out a game that anyone can play in a truly co-operative way with friends and family, near and far, without being overwhelmed by monetization mechanics/restrictions and endless upgrade systems.

Visceir

I'd probably be wary of putting time into any gacha game that doesn't set the charts on fire. Putting in time and money into a game just to have the servers be randomly shut down would suck so bad, lol.

Guess Brave Exvius also got me spoiled in the sense that I kinda expect weekly updates and new content, having a kickstarter for your game doesn't exactly instill that kind of confidence in me.

Playing Terra Battle with constant recycled content and getting new stuff maybe every few months felt like being in an abusive relationship compared to FFBE.

Kitoro

I'd probably be wary of putting time into any gacha game that doesn't set the charts on fire. Putting in time and money into a game just to have the servers be randomly shut down would suck so bad, lol.

Guess Brave Exvius also got me spoiled in the sense that I kinda expect weekly updates and new content, having a kickstarter for your game doesn't exactly instill that kind of confidence in me.

Playing Terra Battle with constant recycled content and getting new stuff maybe every few months felt like being in an abusive relationship compared to FFBE.

Definitely valid points all around. I've been thinking similar things on my pros/cons for the campaign, but hearing it from others makes me think I should launch it in a completely organic fashion. Thankfully, as far as my project's been designed, it's easily modifiable to transition to a standard, non-server based game, should it not be viable or feasible to maintain. That said, I think the reason most gacha games shut down rather than switch to offline mode is because they're run by bigger companies that would rather spend their time and resources elsewhere and just abandon the project entirely if it's not something that's bringing in a ton of money.

I wish I could feel the love you feel for FFBE; it's been the most cumbersome slog of a grind for me with the events to get points to get 6* materials, and I really wish it was possible to set Auto Battle Macros to fire off rather than to set up all the basic buffs each battle and shift back to attacks. Sure, harder content would require closer attention and care, but for typical boss battles, it'd be a nice time and effort saver.

Quonny

Yeah, I really hate to say it, but I'm kinda done playing games that aren't attached to big IPs or don't set the charts on fire right out of the gate.

I know that last point is kind of self-defeating, but honestly, investing a bunch of time and money into a game only to have it shut down or worse slowly die with no updates is a major bummer.

Kitoro

Yeah, I really hate to say it, but I'm kinda done playing games that aren't attached to big IPs or don't set the charts on fire right out of the gate.

I know that last point is kind of self-defeating, but honestly, investing a bunch of time and money into a game only to have it shut down or worse slowly die with no updates is a major bummer.

I hear you. That said, while I've been in the same boat as you for a while, I'm tired of how safe the big companies are playing with their games. Almost ever major mobile release now is a Match-3, Auto-Battle, Color Match, Moba-Lite, City Builder, or Tower Defense variant with extremely shallow. often mind-numbing core gameplay mechanics.

I believe there's a lot of room to innovate in uncharted realms that bigger companies don't yet care to. I may not invest much money in an indie-developed gacha at the onset, but I'd say if the game is great, why not enjoy it?

We don't play console games with the idea of, "I shouldn't bother playing through it and enjoying it, because I may not have it one day."

Terra Battle was designed with relatively finite content. I dropped $9.99 on it as a thank you, and enjoyed every stage and challenge until I decided I was done with it, just as I would have with any console or handheld game. Why should this be any different?

I had more finite fun with Terra Battle's campaign in about 40 hours than I did with thousands of hours in Brave Frontier and similar games, because when I think back on my experience with Terra Battle, I think of fun, thoughtful battles, and when I think of Brave Frontier, I think of lots of automated attacks and particles flying all over the place.

It's almost like talking about eating a nice meal at a great restaurant versus spending the entire week living in a Hometown Buffet.

Quonny

We just come at gacha from different directions. To be quite honest, gameplay doesn't really matter that much to me in gacha. It's all about the meta game. Building characters, upgrading, watching numbers go up.

There are console and handheld games for me to scratch any gameplay itch I may have. Whenever I'm grinding in a gacha it's because I have down time and I just want something mindless to do that looks pretty. And looking back on 6+ months of collecting and upgrading gives me joy. I actually bounced off Terra Battle because the gameplay was too demanding.

Malyse

EDIT: They made a moment

https://twitter.com/i/moments/880393072495837184

Five jobs to start, more later.

Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCwyIGNUQAM8-od.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCw0Wf5UIAELG00.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DC1wWD-UIAA5hFa.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DC1xDY7UQAAn1g8.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DC-1WeoUwAky9QL.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DC-2BF8UIAA5c4r.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDUOq-6XcAEMAXy.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDUPEG8WAAIfALc.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDevqMcXoAIVwou.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDev-k5XoAAuzUO.png[/IMG]

This game will be canceled in a year.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I play more JP than Global games, but if you're not charting in the top 200 every day, my days with the game are limited.
iOS 11 might kill this. :p

yuuki

I hear you. That said, while I've been in the same boat as you for a while, I'm tired of how safe the big companies are playing with their games. Almost ever major mobile release now is a Match-3, Auto-Battle, Color Match, Moba-Lite, City Builder, or Tower Defense variant with extremely shallow. often mind-numbing core gameplay mechanics.

I believe there's a lot of room to innovate in uncharted realms that bigger companies don't yet care to. I may not invest much money in an indie-developed gacha at the onset, but I'd say if the game is great, why not enjoy it?

We don't play console games with the idea of, "I shouldn't bother playing through it and enjoying it, because I may not have it one day."

Terra Battle was designed with relatively finite content. I dropped $9.99 on it as a thank you, and enjoyed every stage and challenge until I decided I was done with it, just as I would have with any console or handheld game. Why should this be any different?

I had more finite fun with Terra Battle's campaign in about 40 hours than I did with thousands of hours in Brave Frontier and similar games, because when I think back on my experience with Terra Battle, I think of fun, thoughtful battles, and when I think of Brave Frontier, I think of lots of automated attacks and particles flying all over the place.

It's almost like talking about eating a nice meal at a great restaurant versus spending the entire week living in a Hometown Buffet.
I am really sad rune story got shut down it was really refreshing gameplay wise. I know the japanese version is still up but i cant get into game where everythign is japanese/chinses or any language i dont get.

Orbits legends gets close to but doesnt reach it.

Sölf

Since I now own a tablet, I finally could take a real look at Phantom of the Kill. And man, I've only beaten 1:1:10 so far, so I am not really far, but the game plays more like Fire Emblem than FE Heroes does. That the maps can actually be larger than the screen is one big plus this game has over FE:H. And I even lost units early on, so while not really being hard yet, it's actually harder early on than most other Gachas I've played so far.

Uthred

Hope that Makai Wars is decent, I like the idea of a NIS mobile game, but fear its monetisation. Dont think I'm strong enough to resist Harada's art.

tatsuki

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/eeYtkaP.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jDUhbld.png[/IMG]

AAAHHHH!!

SO, technically this draw was my first without a SSR
because I had an UR

UGH. You even got my fav girl Aya. I've yet to get a UR in this game.
Nice draw btw. That 1% chance is rough.

For those still playing Another Eden, version 1.3 will be released later today with fishing minigame.

1.3 trailer

Free side-story cutie.
chara_shira.png

bjork

I don't think anyone else here plays, but the barrel game is back in Crows x Worst Dynamite. Easy way to get a bunch of free summons without much time investment.

Yaari

Got my third UR in dolls, they all from the same series,from when the game launched. Too bad I dont play it much anymore.

I got Sakura/Aya/Hiyo now. Sadly I dont think the game will live very long.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Got my third UR in dolls, they all from the same series,from when the game launched. Too bad I dont play it much anymore.

I got Sakura/Aya/Hiyo now. Sadly I dont think the game will live very long.
It'll do fine, charting well for new ip. It's not like Samurai Rising lol.

Uthred

Was updating FGO on Qoapp and was rather surprised to see Re:Monster got a mobile game,its wall to wall rape fantasy fulfilment,as in, literally full of depictions of "legitimised rape." Seems like odd source material for a mobage.

Jeffrey

Was updating FGO on Qoapp and was rather surprised to see Re:Monster got a mobile game,its wall to wall rape fantasy fulfilment,as in, literally full of depictions of "legitimised rape." Seems like odd source material for a mobage.
Aren't there quite a few adult gacha games in Korea?

yuuki

its also playable on pc with andapp

Kitoro

Just spent a solid 45 minutes with the Tales game, and lost interest pretty fast. The combat feels stiff and looks rather bland, despite being a battery hog, it's got weapon gacha, which isn't very exciting or alluring to me, no social features to speak of that I can tell, and just feels more like a cheap, basic RPG with cumbersome aspects to encourage plenty of spending. Hopefully it's enjoyed by others here, but definitely not my cup of tea.

Jeffrey

Surprised it has VA and mileena is cute. Gameplay feels stiff like symphonia team games though.

Pretty impressive budget. Feels like an actual tales game in parts lol.

Only action gacha games that feel good are bleach and shironeko :/

chrono01

Playing Tales of the Rays on Nox until it's available on iOS. Is the guy who does Ix's VO the same guy who does 9S in Nier Automata? Definitely sounds like him.

Nice, also has Haruka Terui. I'm watching Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru right now, so I instantly recognized her voice.

MiTYH

Didn't know Rays was coming. Not on iOS so I'll just sit patiently and wait. Guess it'll be up wednesday night at the latest

Rixa

Tales of the Rays seems to be global release(?). I was prepared to dl apk, but there is no need to since its on google play store.

Just spent a solid 45 minutes with the Tales game, and lost interest pretty fast. The combat feels stiff and looks rather bland, despite being a battery hog, it's got weapon gacha, which isn't very exciting or alluring to me, no social features to speak of that I can tell, and just feels more like a cheap, basic RPG with cumbersome aspects to encourage plenty of spending. Hopefully it's enjoyed by others here, but definitely not my cup of tea.

Tried & deleted. Gacha weapon summoning + constantly tapping screen & manually guiding unit thru exploration with touching screen all the time. No thanks, not my style of game at all.

casiopao

We just come at gacha from different directions. To be quite honest, gameplay doesn't really matter that much to me in gacha. It's all about the meta game. Building characters, upgrading, watching numbers go up.

There are console and handheld games for me to scratch any gameplay itch I may have. Whenever I'm grinding in a gacha it's because I have down time and I just want something mindless to do that looks pretty. And looking back on 6+ months of collecting and upgrading gives me joy. I actually bounced off Terra Battle because the gameplay was too demanding.

Join me in Hortensia lol. Tons of meta game.^_^

Top Bottom