• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

chrono01

Tales of the Rays is now available on iOS. I've tried it a bit through an emulator and it seems fun enough, although I couldn't enjoy the combat since I didn't have direct control (mouse pointer and such). I'll see how I enjoy it when I can actually play it on my phone.

The game is in maintenance for a few more hours, however.

Tales of the Rays seems to be global release(?). I was prepared to dl apk, but there is no need to since its on google play store.

Tried & deleted. Gacha weapon summoning + constantly tapping screen & manually guiding unit thru exploration with touching screen all the time. No thanks, not my style of game at all.

Tales of the Rays is now available on iOS. I've tried it a bit through an emulator and it seems fun enough, although I couldn't enjoy the combat since I didn't have direct control (mouse pointer and such). I'll see how I enjoy it when I can actually play it on my phone.

The game is in maintenance for a few more hours, however.
Tales of the Rays seems to be global release(?). I was prepared to dl apk, but there is no need to since its on google play store.

Tried & deleted. Gacha weapon summoning + constantly tapping screen & manually guiding unit thru exploration with touching screen all the time. No thanks, not my style of game at all.
You guys seem to forget these games are targeted towards mobile owners 😋

Not everyone is like us and runs through emulators.

chrono01

You guys seem to forget these games are targeted towards mobile owners 😋

Oh I know, that's why I'm waiting until I play it on my phone before I make any judgements. The core gameplay seems like fun, so I'm definitely interested in seeing how it feels on the mobile side-of-things.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I had negative impressions of the game. If anything, I walked away impressed more than anything else.

Rixa

You guys seem to forget these games are targeted towards mobile owners ��

I did test it with phone. Didnt run it thru emulator.
Not liking games were you need tap all the time phone screen or slide your finger.

ReaperXL7

Tales of the Rays is shit. Damn, I was excited for it, too.

Unfortunately I agree, it doesn't help that it looks real bad in addition to not really playing well either.

Really bothers me that Bamco didn't stick with cel shading for tales games, the 3D style they have used lately just makes the games look bad and dated vs a game that's 9 years old and still looks very good in my opinion.

chrono01

Yeah, I played more of Tales of the Rays and...I'm just not feeling it. I mean, it's "okay", but nothing special that I can see myself playing. I already have Fate/GO, and a couple other gatcha games I enjoy more than this, so my time is already limited. It needs to really grab for me to want to invest, and TotR just ain't doing it for me. Not saying it's not a good game, just not one for me.

Rixa

Is this dungeon dice monsters from Yugioh lol.

They have preregister open now at
https://www.ch.mamogames.com/

Capture.PNG

chrono01

I managed to re-roll Ix's MA in Tales of the Rays, so I gave the game another chance. It better than what I thought originally, especially now that I'm holding the phone with my left thumb over the right screen to move around, and my right thumb over the right to attack/use Artes. I do wish the game was a bit more simple graphics-wise, as while everything looks okay, I would have preferred a 2D/sprite-based option (think, Tales of Destiny) as it would have lowered the battery drain on my phone. It burns through the percentage mater like crazy, and I don't even have to play long. :/

I don't know if I'll stick with it or not, but I'll give it a couple weeks and see how I feel beyond that.

I managed to re-roll Ix's MA in Tales of the Rays, so I gave the game another chance. It better than what I thought originally, especially now that I'm holding the phone with my left thumb over the right screen to move around, and my right thumb over the right to attack/use Artes. I do wish the game was a bit more simple graphics-wise, as while everything looks okay, I would have preferred a 2D/sprite-based option (think, Tales of Destiny) as it would have lowered the battery drain on my phone. It burns through the percentage mater like crazy, and I don't even have to play long. :/

I don't know if I'll stick with it or not, but I'll give it a couple weeks and see how I feel beyond that.
I'm enjoying it so far, though I haven't dug in upper deep. Only just got Sophie and haven't done my first real pulls yet.

chrono01

I'm enjoying it so far, though I haven't dug in upper deep. Only just got Sophie and haven't done my first real pulls yet.
Yeah, there's a lot I don't understand yet either. Learning it a day at a time. At least there's more "game" here when compared to Tales of Links. I didn't particularly enjoy the RNG nature of that one, and the character roster seemed a bit bloated. I still log in regularly, though.

As for your pulls, people recommend doing the discount pull on each of the three available banners and then save for the 4* guaranteed Jude/Tear banner we should be receiving in the next week or so.

Oh, word of warning? Enable Energy Mode in the settings, as without it the battery drains super-fast (at least, on my phone). It just lowers the graphics a bit, which isn't bad considering the screen isn't large enough to really notice. Even with it enabled it drains quickly, but at least it doesn't discharge faster than it can charge when it's plugged in. >_<

chrono01

Man, the more I play Tales of the Rays the more impressed I am with it. When you unlock more of the weapons and fill out your grid a bit, it starts to feel like a real Tales game. Well, a Tales game that's touchscreen-based, anyway. The only thing I wish they'd add is a side-step, which I've heard the developers are considering. I mean, the game is only around 4-5 months old in Japan, so it's still very new. There could be a lot of optimizations they can make, but as it is right now it's pretty solid. I can understand why some people might not be into it, and it does feel a lot like an earlier Tales game, but it's more than serviceable given that it's a mobile game.

I can't emphasize changing the Mode to "Energy" and not "Normal" under the Options menu. It doesn't look quite as crisp and doesn't run quite as fluid, but my phone battery is handling it much better.

If anyone is playing it and wants to add me, feel free. Leading with the Ix MA. If your name differs too much from what's here, just let me know who you are. I have quite a list of Friend Requests to work through. :/

ID: 968704542

If anyone is playing it and wants to add me, feel free. Leading with the Ix MA. If your name differs too much from what's here, just let me know who you are. I have quite a list of Friend Requests to work through. :/

ID: 968704542
I don't mind the battery drain so much as my phone gets great battery life and I only play at home so a charger is always handy. :p
I'll add you! I'm either Dandy or Dandy Croc

Honkai Impact Japanese version was updated to 1.5 recently and added multiplayer bosses and missions. Do we have a group here that would like to add each other?
Some gameplay of one of the bosses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOe1rPUUN_c tried it the other day was pretty smooth not much lag though I was the host.

This looks cool, I'll play with you after setting it up.

ID: 12186057, download is kinda long compared to the Chinese version is
accidentally
installed.

Jeffrey

Man go all these top tier units from the anniversary event in bleach guess I'll play this lol.

You know what's great? 60fps. So annoying how crappy many mobile games run even on top end phones.

Quonny

Just watched a Terra Battle 2 gameplay video.

Again I don't think this game is going to do well. They seem to be missing the point of why people spend money. The entire battle screen is just a bunch of squares with cut-off portraits in them. Attack animations just flash the art that you already see and do some swirls.

People want to see characters doing cool animations, or at the very least see unique sprite art or something.

I fear it's just gonna be another super niche game with good gameplay but nothing to entice people to whale.

tatsuki

Managed to finally land my first UR in Tokyo Dolls. I was hoping that it would have been Aya but Shiori isn't bad either.
Are all the skill animations the same for each girl in the swimsuit set? Shiori rides on a dolphin and punches the enemy during her heavy attack skill.

Tried Tales of Rays....what a shit game. I should reinstall Tales of Link, but I have no self control for spending in that game.....so nah. FFBE will continue to be my only mobile game for now.

chrono01

I was going to post that the Facebook rewards for Tales of the Rays have been (or soon will be, in the case of Yuri's outfit) released, and new accounts get them so now is a great time to re-roll for a Mirage (thanks to the free 1k crystals). But it seems as though everyone here hates the game, so there goes that idea, haha.

I'm enjoying it, at least. Not sure why it's getting such a negative reaction here, but I guess that's personal tastes for ya!

Dandte

I was going to post that the Facebook rewards for Tales of the Rays have been (or soon will be, in the case of Yuri's outfit) released, and new accounts get them so now is a great time to re-roll for a Mirage (thanks to the free 1k crystals). But it seems as though everyone here hates the game, so there goes that idea, haha.

I'm enjoying it, at least. Not sure why it's getting such a negative reaction here, but I guess that's personal tastes for ya!

Yay a new game to share with Brono.

Gaf i need you help.

I rerolled to get an account with xy but got mileenas ma first so i startet with her. Also reroll in ios...urgh

Didn't pulled untill this event. Sadly i didn't got any ma and both of my 4* were the healing staff for the white haired guy, which means the main units are underequiped.

I did a quick reroll and did a multi.

Got edna's ma, a 4* weapon for her and the 4* staff for white haired guy. No weapons for yx or mileena.

I really want to save for milla and equip her well, but atm i can't decide which account i should use.

Pls help me.

Also id for first account is:

ReaperXL7

So this game called lost keeper came out today on IOS (I believe it is also on the play store)

It seems like a visual novel/dungeon crawler gacha. Seems interesting so far but tough to tell if the store is any good considering I just started playing it. I kind of like the art style though.

Dandte

So this game called lost keeper came out today on IOS (I believe it is also on the play store)

It seems like a visual novel/dungeon crawler gacha. Seems interesting so far but tough to tell if the store is any good considering I just started playing it. I kind of like the art style though.

English available or whatever asian language it is only?

Alright, since I didn't give it a true fair shot at first, I'm gonna try Tales of Rays again since I love the series so much. I am sensing it will get better if I play a bit more.....hopefully.

Ephidel

It seems like a visual novel/dungeon crawler gacha.
I didn't know I wanted this. I'm curious at least.

What's the difference between Lostkeeper and Lostkeeper: Expedition?
I see the first is paid with in app purchases whereas the second is free with ads and in app purchases, but is that the only difference?
Trying to find out myself and not having much luck. Does anyone know how obnoxious the ads are?

ReaperXL7

I didn't know I wanted this. I'm curious at least.

What's the difference between Lostkeeper and Lostkeeper: Expedition?
I see the first is paid with in app purchases whereas the second is free with ads and in app purchases, but is that the only difference?
Trying to find out myself and not having much luck. Does anyone know how obnoxious the ads are?

So far as I can tell the only ads that I'm getting with the free version are ads that I have to initiate myself by pushing a button at the top of the screen. I also had to watch a short at to unlock 2x speed, but they haven't pushed any ads onto me yet.

chrono01

Yay a new game to share with Brono.

Gaf i need you help.

I rerolled to get an account with xy but got mileenas ma first so i startet with her. Also reroll in ios...urgh

Didn't pulled untill this event. Sadly i didn't got any ma and both of my 4* were the healing staff for the white haired guy, which means the main units are underequiped.

I did a quick reroll and did a multi.

Got edna's ma, a 4* weapon for her and the 4* staff for white haired guy. No weapons for yx or mileena.

I really want to save for milla and equip her well, but atm i can't decide which account i should use.

Pls help me.

Also id for first account is:

Yay!

Honestly, you really can`t lose with either account. The beauty of having either Ix or Mileena`s MA is that their neutral element meaning you gain a 1.5x multiplier for any/all story/event maps. That means you can bring them to EVERYTHING! It's not as potent as the 2.0x multiplier you'll received if you match the anima type directly, but I'd gladly take the versatility of it. When I re-rolled, I aimed for either Ix or Mileena and got the former first. As for weapons, I wouldn't worry too much since Ix/Mileena's weapons are available on all banners (as are the ones for other story characters), so you'll get them naturally over time as you progress. Personally, I completed the entirety of the story mode so far (up to Chapter 6), with just the weapon Ix came with. It means I basically spammed DEMONG FANG over and over again, but it worked. Granted this probably won't be feasible for more difficult content, but by then I should have more weapons/artes for him (I just got my second weapon for him this morning on the Edna banner, so at least that's two artes I have for him now).

In-regards to Edna, I'm not sure how good she is but, from what I understand, all MA are basically good. The only downside to using an event character as your "main", is that it's more difficult to gear them up since their weapons are only available in their respective banners (this also applies to their MA, of which you already have). You do have one weapon for Edna which is great, and you'll be able to equip her with whatever else for the stat boosts, but you'll only be able to use the arte on her 4* weapon. Banners do return though, and apparently later on they'll incorporate a prism-exchange system where you trade prisms received from doing multi-pulls for weapons, as well as costumes. Also, I believe the Edna/Mikleo event itself will give you a weapon or two (unless I'm mistaken), so it shouldn't be too bad.

As for which account to go for, that's up to you. You can't really lose with either, so just go with whoever you like more. Do note that Mileena's MA changes her MA from a heal to an attack, which can be a good and bad thing. Good, in the sense that you can use her as an attacker (also, the range on her gacha MA is pretty nice) and not as a healer, but bad as you'll probably need a healer for more difficult content (until you manage the MA for another healer, such as Tear).

Whichever account you decide on, just let me know and I'll add you. :)

The art looks pretty nice, but I have a feeling it's going to be extremely grindy. I'm not liking the whole paid/free versions either. From all of the past "free" ones I played, at the start it doesn't seem too intrusive, but as time goes on more ads start to appear and it gets really frustrating.

I'll pass, but definitely interested in hearing the impressions from those that play it!

Alright, since I didn't give it a true fair shot at first, I'm gonna try Tales of Rays again since I love the series so much. I am sensing it will get better if I play a bit more.....hopefully.
The game isn't super-amazing or anything, but it's still better than a lot of the stuff out there for mobile, IMO. It feels about as close to a genuine "Tales of..." game as I think you can get (given the platform), but will feel a bit simplistic early on, due to not having a lot of matching weapons for characters which grant you the use of their artes. At least you can play as every character without the need to open your wallet, so that's nice.

If you're a fan of the series, I'd definitely give it a second try. If you still don't like it, then it's clearly not for you which is totally fine. This style of game can differ greatly from individual to individual, so it's understandable.

jengo

Managed to finally land my first UR in Tokyo Dolls. I was hoping that it would have been Aya but Shiori isn't bad either.
Are all the skill animations the same for each girl in the swimsuit set? Shiori rides on a dolphin and punches the enemy during her heavy attack skill.

I got 2 succubus girls and their animations were the same...but they aren't UR, so I would hope they are unique at that rarity.

Ephidel

Murderbot Slayerdoll Hiyo and Sakura have the same skill attack animation, so I'd assume the Swimsuit dolls do as well.

Dandte

Yay!

Honestly, you really can`t lose with either account. The beauty of having either Ix or Mileena`s MA is that their neutral element meaning you gain a 1.5x multiplier for any/all story/event maps. That means you can bring them to EVERYTHING! It's not as potent as the 2.0x multiplier you'll received if you match the anima type directly, but I'd gladly take the versatility of it. When I re-rolled, I aimed for either Ix or Mileena and got the former first. As for weapons, I wouldn't worry too much since Ix/Mileena's weapons are available on all banners (as are the ones for other story characters), so you'll get them naturally over time as you progress. Personally, I completed the entirety of the story mode so far (up to Chapter 6), with just the weapon Ix came with. It means I basically spammed DEMONG FANG over and over again, but it worked. Granted this probably won't be feasible for more difficult content, but by then I should have more weapons/artes for him (I just got my second weapon for him this morning on the Edna banner, so at least that's two artes I have for him now).

In-regards to Edna, I'm not sure how good she is but, from what I understand, all MA are basically good. The only downside to using an event character as your "main", is that it's more difficult to gear them up since their weapons are only available in their respective banners (this also applies to their MA, of which you already have). You do have one weapon for Edna which is great, and you'll be able to equip her with whatever else for the stat boosts, but you'll only be able to use the arte on her 4* weapon. Banners do return though, and apparently later on they'll incorporate a prism-exchange system where you trade prisms received from doing multi-pulls for weapons, as well as costumes. Also, I believe the Edna/Mikleo event itself will give you a weapon or two (unless I'm mistaken), so it shouldn't be too bad.

As for which account to go for, that's up to you. You can't really lose with either, so just go with whoever you like more. Do note that Mileena's MA changes her MA from a heal to an attack, which can be a good and bad thing. Good, in the sense that you can use her as an attacker (also, the range on her gacha MA is pretty nice) and not as a healer, but bad as you'll probably need a healer for more difficult content (until you manage the MA for another healer, such as Tear).

Whichever account you decide on, just let me know and I'll add you. :)

The art looks pretty nice, but I have a feeling it's going to be extremely grindy. I'm not liking the whole paid/free versions either. From all of the past "free" ones I played, at the start it doesn't seem too intrusive, but as time goes on more ads start to appear and it gets really frustrating.

I'll pass, but definitely interested in hearing the impressions from those that play it!

The game isn't super-amazing or anything, but it's still better than a lot of the stuff out there for mobile, IMO. It feels about as close to a genuine "Tales of..." game as I think you can get (given the platform), but will feel a bit simplistic early on, due to not having a lot of matching weapons for characters which grant you the use of their artes. At least you can play as every character without the need to open your wallet, so that's nice.

If you're a fan of the series, I'd definitely give it a second try. If you still don't like it, then it's clearly not for you which is totally fine. This style of game can differ greatly from individual to individual, so it's understandable.
Thanks for the reply!
Did a second multi pull since milla will take a while...again no ma, again 2 golds...again mikleos healing staff...well fuck. Haha that's was i deserve after a double rainbow in ffbe.

I guess i will go with the mileena account since i put some time into it.

Tales of the Rays is impressing me so far.

It feels like a Tales game which I really like and the localization is actually really good. None of the dialogue reads strangely or has errors.
Plus I've pulled good weapons and mirrages for Sorey and Jude who are two of my favorites!
The event is good so far, too. Lots of easy premium currency to grab as well as an abundance of upgrade mats.

RalchAC

Playing Tales of the Rays too, with my new shiny phone. It's, as other have said, the closest you can get to Tales gameplay on a phone. I'll play more often once I finish Berseria.

Does it have friend codes or...?

Top Bottom