• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

chrono01

Nice. You get more than enough money to do more limit breaks / arte enhancements once you pay for the first one, so I think I should be able to do it.

Once I've cleared 25 times the last stage of Sweetopia, would it be better to grind the EXP / Crystals stage or keeping doing it, get a lot of materials and hope I get some extra dupes? My power level is a bit low for the last few Afterparty stages.

How much can a weapon be LB? 4 times? The Event Missions only reward up to +3.
It can be LB'd four times, you get all of them via the missions (the final of which is for leveling Mikleo/Edna to 30) as well as clearing the final map of each section for the first time.

But yeah, once you clear it, you want to farm the final map on both sections (not the Prologue, the actual event) 25 times, as it gives you currency for doing so. Plus, as you said, there's a potential for 4* weapon drops, and the anima orbs they give out can be really useful.

Anyone still playing Sword Art Online Memory Defrag? I'm still enjoying that game and a guild feature is coming out that may make it more fun to play with friends

Z3M0G

Anyone still playing Sword Art Online Memory Defrag? I'm still enjoying that game and a guild feature is coming out that may make it more fun to play with friends

That game had so much potential... but like so many other Gatcha games, it threw way too much at you too fast... You would have multiple 5 star characters right out of the gate...

It's like if you started a level 1 character in Diablo 3 and got a Legendary drop from the first group of enemies you killed... actually it is MUCH worsts than that... because at least that Legendary item will still only be useful for a short time. It's more like getting Legendary drops constantly...

Kitoro

With Terra Battle 2 closer than I thought it would be, I haven't seen much in the way of solid info outside of the topical aspects and overly dramatic PR spins about how much different and better it will be.

What I really want to know is if co-op is back in at launch, and if it is, will it be for the entire campaign, or just events?

If anyone knows, I'd be more than grateful!

With Terra Battle 2 closer than I thought it would be, I haven't seen much in the way of solid info outside of the topical aspects and overly dramatic PR spins about how much different and better it will be.

What I really want to know is if co-op is back in at launch, and if it is, will it be for the entire campaign, or just events?

If anyone knows, I'd be more than grateful!
The concrete info is hidden on TB forum, streams and JP social media.
There's a closed beta in JP going right now, but behind NDA.

I'm not 100% sure what you want to know.
This is probably the best recent video (in JP) that shows how the story campaign works.

10-man raid segment from latest stream. (timestamped)

The TB1-style CO-OP (2-3 man) hasn't been shown yet.
TB2 will have a friend's recruit system (seen in every mobage).

Kitoro

Aha, thank you!

What's the overall verdict from the community on the jump to a sequel instead of just expanding the original to appease people who have worked hard and spent so much to get the best characters there are?

I'd really only get into the game if my girlfriend and I can play through the story together in some capacity, so I'm hoping co-op is, indeed, a thing come launch!

When you say 10-man Raid, does that mean 10 people playing together online? Also, I heard the game was leaning towards weapon gacha, but I'm pretty sure I saw an SS character gacha pull in the new trailer from today, so I'm thinking there are both now?

Aha, thank you!

What's the overall verdict from the community on the jump to a sequel instead of just expanding the original to appease people who have worked hard and spent so much to get the best characters there are?
Mixed. Diehard grinders hate it. People who found TB1 stale love the fresh start aspect of it.
I'm pro-sequel (1000 days of TB1 here).
Love the idea of starting over in a whole new TB-gameplay world.
Reminds me of TB1 launch.

Note that TB1 isn't closing. They'll still update it.
+ it hasn't even finished delivering the entire Download Starter milestone.

I'd really only get into the game if my girlfriend and I can play through the story together in some capacity, so I'm hoping co-op is, indeed, a thing come launch!
I don't think it'll have full-fledge story co-op like you're expecting.
Probably need to jump on raids (and future co-op battles) for it.

Besides, what latest mobile game has the kind of co-op you're thinking about ?
I doubt I've seen any recently.

When you say 10-man Raid, does that mean 10 people playing together online? Also, I heard the game was leaning towards weapon gacha, but I'm pretty sure I saw an SS character gacha pull in the new trailer from today, so I'm thinking there are both now?
Yes, 10 people playing at same time. It has a join in/out when battle starts and isn't full.

Gacha is (unfortunately) both Guardians and equipment. I know this isn't popular with mobile community, although a lot of recent games seen to embrace it for some reason.

Kitoro

That's great information all around; thank you!

Lastly, it seems like the game's really close to release, but are we looking at a matter of weeks, or months?

jengo

Um.. the way the characters all casually walk towards enemies and then suddenly attack is super creepy and off-putting to me, haha.

Yeah that's the main thing I didn't understand when I started playing. Who thought sauntering into battle was a good idea?

Rixa

I would prereg to TB2, but being EU peasant and not using any mailing software (I use webmail) cant prereg to it. Kinda stupid move to put prereg behind need of mailing software.
Whatever, will download apk when it comes, cause Mistwalker doesn't know where Europe is.

TB2 Release is prolly in August.

Kettch

That game had so much potential... but like so many other Gatcha games, it threw way too much at you too fast... You would have multiple 5 star characters right out of the gate...

It's like if you started a level 1 character in Diablo 3 and got a Legendary drop from the first group of enemies you killed... actually it is MUCH worsts than that... because at least that Legendary item will still only be useful for a short time. It's more like getting Legendary drops constantly...

I really loved the gameplay in Memory Defrag. It was a ton of fun. The game had two big problems for me that killed it though.

Events came way too fast. I spent so many hours perfecting my play on the first competitive event that came out, which was fun...and then they immediately released another one right after that ended. There was no way I could keep up with that. Something like Dokkan Battle's world tournaments are spaced out ideally, one big grind every month or two at most. Not every week.

And then the basic issue of a really nice competitive, skill based gameplay packaged in a gacha game. It just feels so bad to know that you can't compete without spending a shit ton of money. It's not a problem in most gacha games because you don't need any skill to play them, but here I was wondering why I was wasting my time getting better when it wouldn't matter if my pulls went poorly.

chrono01

Thanks, one of my friends is currently wallet deep into this as well.
Haha, my condolences (on the wallet part, not on the playing-the-game mention).

The game can be pretty brutal gacha-wise, but thankfully 5* characters aren't really needed to complete content. A lot of the common 1/2/3* characters can be usable even on later maps, so 5* are more of a luxury than anything else. Even if you do NEED a specific character, that's what Friends are for. :)

RalchAC

Managed to finish the last quest of Edna's Afterparty in Tales of the Rays, despite only having 6200 power level. The previous one felt actually harder, having two bosses and one of them being an arte user.

Guess all that's left is clearing the stage 25 times and raising Mikleo's and Edna's level as much as possible. I'll farm the last stage today and tomorrow, and grind the EXP stage on Zestiria and OG characters day. Hopefully I'll be able to get them to level 35, since I'd like to get those stones for enhancing Mystic Artes.

Visceir

Guess I got to the end of closed beta content for Lost Order. At Rank 13 I got a "to be continued..." story screen.

I'd probably be down to play it for a while if the game gets an established english community, I do hope it'll get a full english release, hope they won't feel obligated to do full english VO.

I would prereg to TB2, but being EU peasant and not using any mailing software (I use webmail) cant prereg to it. Kinda stupid move to put prereg behind need of mailing software.
Whatever, will download apk when it comes, cause Mistwalker doesn't know where Europe is.

TB2 Release is prolly in August.

Think this might actually depend on what you've got set up as your default mailing solution in the browser. On chrome it automatically tossed me to my mailing program while on firefox it prompted a window where I could just pick gmail and it would just toss me into my gmail account.

But yea, I guess it's dumb none the less as I'm sure there are plenty other people like you who get discouraged.

Think this might actually depend on what you've got set up as your default mailing solution in the browser. On chrome it automatically tossed me to my mailing program while on firefox it prompted a window where I could just pick gmail and it would just toss me into my gmail account.
They changed the pre-reg page today. (reached 80k)
You only need to input the Email now.

TB2 pre-reg page

Quonny

Four games come to mind that are popular in japan and have a healthy english community. Granblue Fantasy, Fire Emblem: Heroes, Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle, Fate/Grand Order.

I'd throw in Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius and Summoner's War (not JP).

RalchAC

And One Piece Treasure Cruise. Very F2P friendly, has both JPN and Global but both are on fire with events recently

OPTC is probably the best I've played overall. But after 2 years I honestly didn't have the strength to keep grinding stuff.

But that's on me. The game is totally awesome and they'd been consistently releasing QoL updates since before I dropped it.

Permanently A

Here's an interesting question (to me, anyways)

I often see people complaining about gacha games - sometimes its new players that don't know the score, other times its an entire community in uproar. What I'm curious about is - has it ever worked? Has any boycott or outrage actually caused a developer to respond to it?

Kohak

Neo Member

I often see people complaining about gacha games - sometimes its new players that don't know the score, other times its an entire community in uproar. What I'm curious about is - has it ever worked? Has any boycott or outrage actually caused a developer to respond to it?

I'd probably say something like Granblue's Monkeygate. Refunds were great. Such as beautiful mess.

Visceir

FF Brave Exvius has a Nier collab banner on GL version going on right now, it also got some exclusive GL units. People were in uproar over how shitty one of the new units was from leaked info and once the unit got released that part of the unit was improved.

Previous raid event they made changes to the way raid currency was used for pulls to make them more user friendly and easier, this was also done after plenty of bitching from the community. It definitely feels like the developers are keeping an eye on the community, but I guess there are parts where they should have clearly known better and done things right from the get go and then there are parts where they probably have a planned schedule for the changes and won't do it until they get to that point in the timeline.

For the japanese version of the game the developers have done changes to the rates of events multiple times mid-event.

The game keeps on continually making positive changes to the gacha, but I guess you could assume that was always part of the plan (rainbow rate going from 1% to 3%, a system being introduced where paid currency gets you guaranteed rainbow tickets)

Articalys

Something I was wondering and would like to get the opinions of the people in this thread: which games with an official English release have the best support in terms of timely in-game updates, general translation quality, and overall customer interaction?

Quonny

Something I was wondering and would like to get the opinions of the people in this thread: which games with an official English release have the best support in terms of timely in-game updates, general translation quality, and overall customer interaction?

Ateam is very communicative and are very clear with their messaging and updates. They post to Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, in game, and so on. Valkyrie Connect, Unison League, etc.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Square Enix making a Toji no Miko game for next year (creator of Shimakaze of Kancolle? on it)
011d7df24b44fdafb56e24710fe7f90a.jpg
I wonder how it'll fare against female Touken Ranbu with its great art (surprised nobody plays it here):

Z3M0G

Kritika... so is that a nipple or not?

So, what are the popular gacha games these days?

I prefer games where you pull for gear rather than characters... I'm addicted to collecting and managing loot.

What I have on the go:

Kritika
- Great diablo-style loot system. You can and are encouraged to have many characters on the go. You can later link 3 to a main to boost their power while the others get an XP buff. ARPG gameplay is fun and fast, no story, I prefer to auto-battle and just manage the loot. This is my preferred auto-play game, but it is fun to manually play as well. Lots of costumes to unlock using gems (I have unlocked MANY costumes already in the month or so playing... it's very addictive).

King's Raid - Great characters and fun story. You unlock new characters with "gems" primarily, but the game gave one easy unlock early on, and I'm about to unlock my 2nd using gems. You can unlock other characters slowly over time by starting a relationship with one in the Tavern (will change each day until you select one to stick around). Characters also evolve 2>3>4>5 star level farily easily. I have 2 upgraded to 5-star and the rest are 4-star (9 characters total). I've been playing about a month or so perhaps. You collect lots of loot from missions and pulls, fuse and upgrade them, etc. There are great co-op raids that you can't auto-play and you bid for the loot when done... rewards dragon theme'd gear.

Valiant Force - This game you pull both characters and gear. Primary characters have job trees that you can branch out when you upgrade their star level. You can also pull their higher forms through RNG, which has already happened for me. Combat is JRPG style with a movement grid (not SRPG large grid, but a smaller one for both enemy and party sides). Great FFTactics style graphics and music.

Tales of The Rays - Lots of people here playing this I heard. I only just started. You pull both characters and gear I assume. Feels a lot like playing Sword Art Online mobile game, similar combat controls, but not as demanding. Missions actually have you move through a small area to find chests and fight the 3 battles along the way, which is a very nice touch. (Auto-play option).

Note: I have spent $0 on the above games. Kritika temps you with some nice $5 packages every 5 character levels or so that have been very tempting... but I don't want to have a super weapon so early, and you get gems so fast you really don't need to.

RalchAC

In Rays characters are free. You get them in story chapters and events. Weapons are tied to Gacha, but a lot of awesome artes are tied to 3* weapons which is great.

Pbae

In Rays characters are free. You get them in story chapters and events. Weapons are tied to Gacha, but a lot of awesome artes are tied to 3* weapons which is great.

Surprised their isn't a Tales of Ray OT.

As posted above, nearly all the characters are given to you as you progress but the gacha aspect of it is for mirrages (special moves) or weapons.

It's super generous for F2P and honestly feels like a legit game as opposed to a time waste/sink like other Gacha games.

RalchAC

I dunno, I auto-battled and auto-mapped for two hours straight before quitting.

Auto-mapping means you're missing a lot of chests, the exception being some quests that they expect you to grind. In those all chests are in the auto-run path.

I haven't used auto-battle, not even on "easy" stages. The point is playing a Tales-like game on your phone, it didn't make sense to me to do it TBH. I don't know how reliable it is.

As posted above, nearly all the characters are given to you as you progress but the gacha aspect of it is for mirrages (special moves) or weapons.

It's super generous for F2P and honestly feels like a legit game as opposed to a time waste/sink like other Gacha games.

I'd say there aren't that many Tales fans here in GAF, let alone people that are both Tales fans and interested in a Tales smartphone game.

chrono01

Yeah, it's extremely friendly towards F2P.

It's not so much that they shower us with free gems (although there's still a lot to earn, and each events gives us at least enough to do a multi-pull on the event banner), it's that you don't really need to pull on the banners to make any progress. Mirages are useful, but not really NEEDED, as the ones they give you for free in-game are more than adequate. Normally I'd say you need to pull on banners, in-order to get weapons, but we'll eventually get the weapon exchange that the Japanese version has, where you can exchange prisms for 3* (even 4*) weapons. You get prisms through missions, doing multi-pulls on banners, as well as selling 1/2/3/4* weapons (eventually, they only give us gald right now). As of now, you can only purchase each 4* weapon once before it becomes unavailable, but one is all you need to use that arte. As for whether it'll be replenished every couple of months so you can buy more than one of each, no one knows, but even if it isn't, that's still extremely useful.

I'm not terribly surprised to see not many playing the game, as the Tales series is relatively niche even here. It's a shame, as it's a lot more fun than most give it credit for. I've said it before, but it genuinely feels like a Tales game, which is quite a feat.

I dunno, I auto-battled and auto-mapped for two hours straight before quitting.
There's your problem. :(

Auto Battle is fine for dailies, but if you do it during story missions, you're going to miss a lot of chests (and missions rewards), since oftentimes they're off the beaten path. Also, if you Auto Battle during battle, you're passing on what makes the game feel like a Tales game. The battle system is interesting here, as the timing of your artes give you a bonus to your Mirage meter, allowing you to use that skill earlier. It's fun trying to chain as many artes together as you can, while retaining that bonus.

Honestly, Auto Battle basically makes 99.9% of the gacha games out there seem boring, which is why I rarely use it even when it's there. There are a few situations in games where I will use it, but generally I manually control everything as I feel I get the most of my AP/stamina/etc. this way. Otherwise, it's like I'm not even playing anything.

If you're a Tales fan, I'd recommend giving it another try, if not...we still share interest in Fate/GO anyway, haha. Speaking of, DUMPLINGS SOON!

MiTYH

New Naruto game announced:

http://www.saiyanisland.com/2017/08/naruto-to-boruto-ninja-voltage-announced/

The game has been announced in Shueisha’s Weekly Shonen Jump magazine, which lists Naruto to Boruto: Ninja Voltage as a free-to-play, fortress action ninja battle game for Android and iOS devices with micro-transactions. In it, players will construct a fort and have ninja battles against people across Japan. Players can surprise enemies, protect allies, and defend their fort by placing traps in the game. The magazine, a scan of which can be seen below, is touts Ninja Voltage will have super high-quality character illustrations. Images of Naruto and Hinata are shown.

So maybe clash of clans rather than true gacha? Unsure at this moment

Kakaroach

New Naruto game announced:

http://www.saiyanisland.com/2017/08/naruto-to-boruto-ninja-voltage-announced/

So maybe clash of clans rather than true gacha? Unsure at this moment
If it is like clash of clans then I don't have much interest. The one screenshot there looks like it could be like Bleach Brave Souls? Guess we'll have to wait for more pictures or videos. I had a lot of fun with Ninja Blazing but ultimately they didn't improve the game much besides adding a ton of grinding. Would love to have a good Naruto mobile game.

chrono01

If it is like clash of clans then I don't have much interest. The one screenshot there looks like it could be like Bleach Brave Souls? Guess we'll have to wait for more pictures or videos. I had a lot of fun with Ninja Blazing but ultimately they didn't improve the game much besides adding a ton of grinding. Would love to have a good Naruto mobile game.
There's actually a lot going on right now in UNB. There's Ninja Road, a 20-map endurance run where you earn points to purchase exclusive items, as well as Ninja Clash (PVP against player-controlled opponents), where you gain rank as well as earn coins that can (once again) buy exclusive characters/items. Ninja Clash is in a beta type of thing right now, and is mostly a preview of things to come. It has some issues, such as frequent disconnections, but if they can iron things out, it could be fun. Of course, there's still the grinding of materials and such, but that goes for pretty much every gacha game.

One change I loved is the inventory box, where they separated characters and materials, as well as allowing the materials portion to be stackable (saves up so much space, not needing individual slots for all of the separate ramen/scrolls/crystals/etc. you grind.

So6P Naruto and Rinnegan Sasuke are coming next week, with the former being game-breaking (Sasuke is great as well, but he fills a different niche). If anyone is going to re-roll, the new Naruto is it.

MiTYH

There's actually a lot going on right now in UNB. There's Ninja Road, a 20-map endurance run where you earn points to purchase exclusive items, as well as Ninja Clash (PVP against player-controlled opponents), where you gain rank as well as earn coins that can (once again) buy exclusive characters/items. Ninja Clash is in a beta type of thing right now, and is mostly a preview of things to come. It has some issues, such as frequent disconnections, but if they can iron things out, it could be fun. Of course, there's still the grinding of materials and such, but that goes for pretty much every gacha game.

One change I loved is the inventory box, where they separated characters and materials, as well as allowing the materials portion to be stackable (saves up so much space, not needing individual slots for all of the separate ramen/scrolls/crystals/etc. you grind.

So6P Naruto and Rinnegan Sasuke are coming next week, with the former being game-breaking (Sasuke is great as well, but he fills a different niche). If anyone is going to re-roll, the new Naruto is it.

Inventory was the biggest gamechanger. Stinks for older players who invested in box space, but newer players can save so much. If you start now, you can easily get to 380 pearls which is for a guaranteed Naruto or Sasuke. Or, reroll then and save the gems for the other one (or dupe copy). Game has definitely gotten me back into it, at least for now

If PvP wasn't so buggy I'd love it more (I know it's beta, but the game crashes during it maybe 3/5 times for me)

Kakaroach

More characters is always nice, but has the overall feel of the game changed at all? I always loved the gameplay, so maybe I will give it another shot. I'm looking up some of the characters now and that Body Kakashi looks really good. Pity this game didn't have an account save system when I deleted it 7 months ago.

chrono01

Inventory was the biggest gamechanger. Stinks for older players who invested in box space, but newer players can save so much. If you start now, you can easily get to 380 pearls which is for a guaranteed Naruto or Sasuke. Or, reroll then and save the gems for the other one (or dupe copy). Game has definitely gotten me back into it, at least for now

If PvP wasn't so buggy I'd love it more (I know it's beta, but the game crashes during it maybe 3/5 times for me)
Yeah, the inventory change is amazing. I wish One Piece Treasure Cruise would do this, as when the materials don't stack it just makes everything seem so bloated.

More characters is always nice, but has the overall feel of the game changed at all? I always loved the gameplay, so maybe I will give it another shot. I'm looking up some of the characters now and that Body Kakashi looks really good. Pity this game didn't have an account save system when I deleted it 7 months ago.
There are Sync Skills now, where you get certain buffs/abilities for having certain characters out on the field at the same time. Aside from that, combat is mostly the same. Some abilities push/pull characters around when used, which can take advantage of field areas that are currently in-effect (such as chakra reduction, poison, etc.).

As for the save system, there is a transfer code you can save which never changes (don't need to issue a new one each time you transfer and it doesn't expire). Just send it to your email or keep it in a word document (as well as screenshot it on your phone) and you'll never lose your account. Sorry to hear you lost your previous account, but if you're going to start over, now is a good time to do so.

Get that So6P Naruto!

Kakaroach

There are Sync Skills now, where you get certain buffs/abilities for having certain characters out on the field at the same time. Aside from that, combat is mostly the same. Some abilities push/pull characters around when used, which can take advantage of field areas that are currently in-effect (such as chakra reduction, poison, etc.).

As for the save system, there is a transfer code you can save which never changes (don't need to issue a new one each time you transfer and it doesn't expire). Just send it to your email or keep it in a word document (as well as screenshot it on your phone) and you'll never lose your account. Sorry to hear you lost your previous account, but if you're going to start over, now is a good time to do so.

Get that So6P Naruto!
I remember the thread for it died a while ago so I gotta ask ya questions in here. Is that Body Kakashi or Skill Haku in any of those banners?

Top Bottom