• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Peru

Happy february6!!!

B9JpjvpCAAEl4ko.jpg

Kurita

Other than E.G. Time (which Is super boring), I haven't really bought anything lately. Would anyone care to give me a roundup of significant material?

I will probably pilgrimage to Shibuya Tower Records at the weekend, and load up on stuff.
Good stuff released since January :
KANA-BOON - TIME
SEKAI NO OWARI - Tree
Nothing's Carved In Stone - Gravity
東京カランコロン - UTUTU
BLUE ENCOUNT - もっと光を
back number - ヒロイン
キュウソネコカミ - ハッピーポンコツランド
The Cheserasera - WHATEVER WILL BE, WILL BE
Sugar's Campaign - Friends
GRAPEVINE - Burning tree
LAMP IN TERREN - silver lining
the chef cooks me - RGBとその真ん中
フラワーカンパニーズ - Stayin' Alive
indigo la End - 幸せが溢れたら

My pre-order for Namie's newest 2014 tour is "in shipping process"! Yay!
I've also preordered Koda's new album, the CD+DVD one. I'm hoping this album is a bit better then Bon Voyage, which I enjoyed but not as much as Japonesque.

Zoe

I've also preordered Koda's new album, the CD+DVD one. I'm hoping this album is a bit better then Bon Voyage, which I enjoyed but not as much as Japonesque.

I really want that Fanclub edition--that concert sounded epic. If only it came on BD instead of DVD :(

It's kind of hard swallowing the 2000 yen entry fee + shipping with Tenso though...

I really want that Fanclub edition--that concert sounded epic. If only it came on BD instead of DVD :(

It's kind of hard swallowing the 2000 yen entry fee + shipping with Tenso though...

I really wanted that too!!! I know they had the Halloween concert with Bon Voyage's fanclub edition last year, and she had performed almost all of my favorite songs.
This year's concert, she performed all of her singles in like three days, right? That does sound epic!
I don't think I can pay that much for Tenso either, it's way too much :(

Lucky, I ordered mine so late they haven't dispatched it yet :(

*edit* I'm imagining if 'I'm Not Yours' was Namie's and not Jolin's, she would've performed it on her next tour and had it been epic, sigh.

broz0rs

I have a general question about JPOP boy bands. Are there any Johnnys based groups that are still popular? Or is the boy band scene currently dominated by just the Exile groups?

Zoe

Johnny's is still bigger because they have a presence in pretty much every kind of entertainment.

broz0rs

SMAP and Arashi are still absurdly huge. Arashi especially made a disgusting amount of money in 2014; more than AKB.

edit: 3&4 on that list are Johnny's too.

I didn't realize Arashi was part of Johnnys. Wow, that's really impressive considering Arashi is five members while AKB48 is a bajillion.

I know kis-my-ft2 from watching UTAGE. Every Johnnys member seem so adept at variety shows.

Zoe

I didn't realize Arashi was part of Johnnys. Wow, that's really impressive considering Arashi is five members while AKB48 is a bajillion.

I know kis-my-ft2 from watching UTAGE. Every Johnnys member seem so adept at variety shows.

Man Busaiku ruin so many good songs on that show :(

which is impossible to find lately... Need to increase my google-fu

Kurita

Really addicted to indigo la End's latest album, definitely their best work so far. Not a single dull song on it, lots of different moods, some sick bass lines... I think it'll be in my top 10 this year. 心ふたつ might become my favorite song by the band.

Quick thoughts on other stuff I bought

荒川ケンタウロス - 玉子の王様 (Arakawa Kentauros - Tamago no Ousama)
The band's major debut mini-album. Discovered them last year and immediately fell in love with their sound. It's pretty straight pop and doesn't try to do more, it's simple and that must be why it's so effective. Love them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpE7qIHWAT4

GRAPEVINE - Burning tree
So yeah I bought 8 albums of GRAPEVINE at Book Off this week since there were sales. Also grabbed their new album released last week. Goddamn, why are these guys so good?
Amazing alternative rock band, I have no idea why I've ignored them for so long.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ13MnaGztg

the chef cooks me - RGBとその真ん中 (RGB to sono mannaka)
Discovered them in 2013 when they released their full album 回転体 and became a fan after a few spins. Now I'm looking forward to everything they release. This EP reminds me of their earlier stuff, as synths make a comeback in this release, while 回転体 was quite pop/folk oriented. The 6 minutes long エメラルド is wonderful...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdaqZhW0NEo

I can't stand it. I'd rather listen to 環ROY, Ken the 390 (though he has been bad this past year), Shing02, 鬼, or go old school and listen to Dabo, Zeebra, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGpseYkPza8

I like what I'm listening (kohh, I mean) but I have no idea if this is considered good rap or not cuz I have so little experience with this genre of music.
The closest thing to rap I've listened to is Dragon Ash so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B579fA7Lr0s

Aizo

Banned
I bought three Japanese rap albums today: Backward Decision For Kid Fresino, TOY BOX, and Yacht Club today. Great purchases.
If you think it's good then it's good!
True.
Except when they use excessive autotune

I like what I'm listening (kohh, I mean) but I have no idea if this is considered good rap or not cuz I have so little experience with this genre of music.
The closest thing to rap I've listened to is Dragon Ash so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B579fA7Lr0s
I think Kohh has some good stuff, but I didn't like that song.

Aizo

Banned
I've flogged them a bunch of times, but I will continue to, because Gaki Ranger are my current favorite J-rap group

That's a good one. I did a post about Taco Dance last year, but the MV preview has since been taken down.
http://sparkplugged.net/2014/01/gaki-ranger-taco-dance/
Edit: oh, I remember Victor Entertainment reuploaded it.

Taco Dance! I posted about it on here when the original video came out, too. hahah

Edit 2: I fixed my original post on Sparkplugged haha.

Very true, not gonna lie I like watching their tv shows, they tend to be entertaining groups who can play off each other very naturally which is great. Besides
not like they can sing... #flameshieldforthefans all the male johnny's groups literally sound exactly the same lol
But I love their shows.

Guess it makes sense though, pretty much a waste of time to put too much money in a girl group these days with AKB and like 2 others dominating that side, so double down on the boybands since they always had the foothold on that. They got a million and a half... forget what they are called, junior? members too if I remember right. Even without being a big group they have a loyal legion of elementary and middle school fangirls surprisingly.

Kurita

Very true, not gonna lie I like watching their tv shows, they tend to be entertaining groups who can play off each other very naturally which is great. Besides
not like they can sing... #flameshieldforthefans all the male johnny's groups literally sound exactly the same lol
But I love their shows.

Yeah that's one of Johnny's artists' strong points, they're really fun in variety shows. I love watching VS Arashi because the members have great chemistry (and well I love Arashi haha)
I should try watching Kanjani8's shows someday, they're the only non-Arashi band I listen to as far as Johnny's are concerned. The rest isn't my cup of tea (TOKIO are alright though)...

Peru

Guess it makes sense though, pretty much a waste of time to put too much money in a girl group these days with AKB and like 2 others dominating that side, so double down on the boybands since they always had the foothold on that. T

Not so. The last couple of years have seen a general resurgence in idol girl group popularity. Everyone is getting something out of it - from the weird, off-kilter experimental idol groups to the more traditional. H!P is doing better than ever, MomoClo created a whole new market of batshit energetic craziness followed by Dempagumi, Team Syachihoko, there's Babymetal and the other genre groups, the groups on hipster manouvres, etc.

If you're not Johnnys on the other hand, forget about making cash on boy bands.

yeah, I'll give this to Arashi, they're pretty damn good at hosting variety shows. SMAP seems to target the older audiences, it seems.

Not so. The last couple of years have seen a general resurgence in idol girl group popularity. Everyone is getting something out of it - from the weird, off-kilter experimental idol groups to the more traditional. H!P is doing better than ever, MomoClo created a whole new market of batshit energetic craziness followed by Dempagumi, Team Syachihoko, there's Babymetal and the other genre groups, the groups on hipster manouvres, etc.

Thats exactly what I mean though, ever since the AKB boom there have been girl groups a dozen, for every demographic, hard to imagine any of them are making decent enough money to be around multiple years/ gaining enough interest to move mainstream outside a very small handful vs. the amount that popped up.

Peru

But they are, they're on the top 10 of Oricon every week, even indie groups, selling out Budokan, etc. The market has grown in every direction and made it easier to find success.

broz0rs

Man Busaiku ruin so many good songs on that show :(

which is impossible to find lately... Need to increase my google-fu

I watch UTAGE at this AKB48 video site. It's updated regularly because a few major AKB idols are featured in the show.

http://48video.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-27.html

Actually, I think the highlight of my entertainment show viewing experience, in any language, nowadays is watching the Johnnys gloriously butcher the songs they sing on UTAGE. I've laughed so much that I usually have to put the video on pause to recover lol

Rooster12

This sounds like American rap/rnb(?) with Japanese vocals. Totally not my thing ( ´ ▽ ` )

Sounds more like J-Pop with rapping on it.

KOHH's last album Monochrome is a legit good album. All the songs are "serious", no dumb silly stuff like you see there.

Lucky, I ordered mine so late they haven't dispatched it yet :(

*edit* I'm imagining if 'I'm Not Yours' was Namie's and not Jolin's, she would've performed it on her next tour and had it been epic, sigh.

I would love to see Namie perform that live. I really love that song, I know I read some mix reviews on it, but I was addicted to it for days.

Lately, I've had a huge obsession over Kome Kome Club and Chemistry. I miss Chemistry, they are probably my favorite Japanese duo.

Or EXILE/J Soul Brothers (and whatever else they got), I think they're doing really well.

faridmon

Holyshit, Didin't know that Origa passed away last month.

Her music was an inspiration and actually the reason why I am into Japanese Music.

R.I.P.

Larsa

Another new Daoko album out next month, her major label debut.

Yeah I saw that. I've seen literally no mention of it anywhere other than it showing up for pre-order. Seems strange that there's been no press-release/news or at least a mention on twitter.

faridmon

^ Did she really?! I had no idea.
May she rest in peace.

Edit: she was so young. Fucking cancer.

I was so shocked. Apparently she had a an album in the works while she was battling with cancer, supposedly her unfinished work is coming out later this year.

But man, she was so young as you said.

Slowdive

Banned
I was so shocked. Apparently she had a an album in the works while she was battling with cancer, supposedly her unfinished work is coming out later this year.

But man, she was so young as you said.

According to her Facebook she was able to finish the album.

xxczx

I recently stumbled upon my Amazon music download list and saw LIL albums on there. I've been out of the jpop game for a couple years, so sad to hear that LIL has disabanded.

Anyway, some questions and thoughts:

Why has mini not got world wide recognition for her amazing debut? Where is she hiding and why hasn't she released two more albums?
Glad to see 80kidz is still doing what they... do..
CAPS LOCK needed more Toshiko but will we see the return of Roxanne in Wave Runner?
Is WEAR I AM the only good thing to come out of MEGs little trip to Paris?
Why hasn't School Food Punishment come back?
I can't find anything on Hierophant Green, another one to bite the dust?
SAWA is still a breath of fresh air, love her to bits.
1000say, HaliCali, Star Guitar, Ram Rider, Q;indivi, WISE??????
Why hasn't VERBAL made another solo album?
What the hell happened to Mademoiselle Yulia? Harajuku Wander isn't giving me high hopes but I'll give the album a listen anyway.

m-flo the future is not wow. :( I'm staying in 2012.

Top Bottom