• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

just doing my part in promotion of a band that really deserves it. PENs+ are quietly the most promising emo band in Japan right now. They have zoned in on the perfect combination of twinkly Midwest emo and driving post-hardcore, and I really hope more bands of this style come forward. They're all 20, and the musicianship is just insane. Possibly the best thing out there in this realm now that the cabs are dead. It's not likely this will be made easily available any time soon, so I had to put it up. This is their second release, soccer. Please give it the 13 minutes of your time. Here are some scans I took.

150208_02_zpspdbqlxt0.png

150208_03_zpsrycmm7rf.png

150208_01_zps5ijdozqt.png

check it out here.

the EP was actually given a little review over at Fecking Bahamas. Check out their article and also their whole site really if you wanna learn more about math rock. They have covered Japanese bands a good bit.

for further listening, here's this little guiltars-only demo/rehearsal track from Ariga's SoundCloud that I've repeated like 20 times today. Beautiful and demonstrative emo. If you check out the rest of the SoundCloud, they have a small playlist of iPhone recordings of all new tracks that likely are for an upcoming release.

Kurita

Kinda bummed PENs+'s latest EP isn't on iTunes :/ Hope they'll release an album this year.

HMV shipped my copy of ONE OK ROCK's new album, hyyyyyype

Kurita

Straightener announced their new new single today!
The Place Has No Name will be released on April 22nd. I love their new picture.

Mrs. GREEN APPLE seems to be a pretty promising band. Their music is all over the place and I love it. Synths, the song's tempo that keeps on changing, sometimes it feels like you're listening to Owarikara, sometimes a math band... Great stuff! Also they're pretty young, the oldest member is 23 while the youngest members (vocalist and guitarist) are 18.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzyAw7ajW_s

I do love how many live videos You'll Melt More put up on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNCgZkGI0JI

They can't really sing or dance, but how few fucks they give sometimes really makes them fun. I'll take unscripted goofing around, screwing up lines, and crowdsurfing on a bed over polished performances anyday.

When BiS were breaking up, they had other idol groups submit short videos of themselves doing the Nerve dance, and Ylmlm's has to be the most amusingly shitty of the bunch. Even worse than Bellring's. Oomori's is cute though.

Also Ylmlm uploaded a video of Ano eating 3 cups of instant soup to advertise an upcoming show. I love this stupid group.

Formless

I'm pretty new to Japanese rock. I like the sounds from toe and lite -- any other similar bands people can recommend? Stuff like Unchain but less sappy would be good too.

No, CONTINUE is her best album so far.

I stopped following her years ago. So ditching Nakata was actually the best thing that could have happened for her? Can't say that's a total surprise considering he was giving her his C game.

oh wow, Narasaki was even involved with CONTINUE? I should probably check that out.

I'm pretty new to Japanese rock. I like the sounds from toe and lite -- any other similar bands people can recommend? Stuff like Unchain but less sappy would be good too.

Paging Kurita

Kurita

Brian the Sun kinda remind me of Unchain so you might like them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcLbo7pX_z4

I don't really listen to post-rock aside from LITE and toe so... mudy on the sakuban maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o7_OXsvu7E

But since you're new to J-Rock in general I can give you recommendations that aren't what you're looking for, you might end up finding something you like!
KANA-BOON
the HIATUS
ELLEGARDEN
ONE OK ROCK
Straightener
Nothing's Carved In Stone
KEYTALK
RADWIMPS
9mm Parabellum Bullet
androp
[Alexandros]
ART-SCHOOL
CreepHyp
The Mirraz
Frederic
THE ORAL CIGARETTES
BUMP OF CHICKEN
Kyuso Nekokami
Hitorie
Czecho No Republic
Gesu no Kiwami Otome
go!go!vanillas
SAKANAMON
Kuso Iinkai
Sakanaction
Good Morning America
indigo la End

Slowdive

Banned
I stopped following her years ago. So ditching Nakata was actually the best thing that could have happened for her? Can't say that's a total surprise considering he was giving her his C game.

oh wow, Narasaki was even involved with CONTINUE? I should probably check that out.

Yes, by far. It's also the reason I want to hear some Kyary stuff without him. Nakata only produced one song on WEAR I AM, that's worth listening to as well.

Now, for pure math rock, there's: 3nd, LOW-PASS, MIRROR, How to count one to ten, nuito.

why do these recs look so familiar??? Of this bunch I would recommend the most highly LOW-PASS' trimurti album. Really fantastic. Can't go wrong with any 3nd, MIRROR's first album is their better release, same for How to count one to ten (Blue Building Blocks, not the demo), nuito will fuck your brain up (and if you like that experience, try sajjanu).

other cool stuff, mostly on the post-rock side.

Clean of Core
stereo type
a picture of her
44°+
Lop Abuse On Somebody
folio

Hey if anyone could direct me to somewhere I can buy or order Jrock shirts in America. I would really love to get A RottenGraffty and Maximum the Hormone shirt but I have no luck finding a place to buy shirts plz help Japanese music GAF.

Zoe

Been watching some clips from Namie's latest, and I'm not impressed so far :\ She seems pretty low on energy.

Sucks cause attending (the intended finale of) Live Style in 2011 was AMAZING.

I guess Nakata's most recent gig is producing for Natsume Mito (never heard of her, guess she was a model or something)

anyway, her debut single found its way onto youtube. it's alright. Sounds like he's giving her leftover Kyary tracks, but it's still probably better than that Capsule song.

Been watching some clips from Namie's latest, and I'm not impressed so far :\ She seems pretty low on energy.

Sucks cause attending (the intended finale of) Live Style in 2011 was AMAZING.

She sounded a bit sick during Sweet Kisses and her voice seemed lower than normal during the aired clips, weird, maybe with all what was going on with VF she wasn't her normal self either.

Jealous you got to attend Live Style 11, one of my favourite tours of hers.

Kurita

Pretty sure ONE OK ROCK's new album will get some hate by fans but Jesus, I love it so freaking much <3 As good as the previous one which was my favorite.

In other news, the cover art for Fujifabric's upcoming MVs compilation is the most beautiful thing I've seen in 2015.

New charisma.com single &#12392;&#12435;&#12364;&#12426;&#12516;&#12531;&#12464; is out today. you can buy it or sample it on ototoy. or on itunes if you're a weirdo.

it's not great. Sounds a lot like &#12511;&#12452;&#12521;&#12461;&#12521;&#12540;, but not as good. in fact, this vine is probably more amusing than the song.

Slowdive

Banned
New Charisma.com single is alright, not as good as most of their other songs. I wasn't expecting much from the previews anyway.

faridmon

Charisma.com last album was actually a dissapoinment. Not surprised to see their new material being a mediocre effort. I did enjoy their collaboration Tempura Kidz though. I hope for more crazy collab works.

I have been listening to the new Androp album a lot and its a strange one. I hate it at first, but with each listen it grows on me (although shitty songs like Neko is still shitty) . Its certainly not as good One and Zero, thats for sure.

faridmon

I actually really liked it upon first listen, but that enthusiasm steadily dwindled over time.

I'll support and buy the new single, though.

Actually, now that you mention it, that I did too. I was addicted to it for the first couple of repeats, but then it just... became flat, which sucked.

Their first album is still listenable to this day.

The single with Tempura Kidz was GOAT

YES!!!

One of the best tracks of 2014!

Kazzy

The single with Tempura Kidz was GOAT

Granted.

The thing that bugs me about Charisma.com, at least on a personal level, is that their performances always seem to coincide with my work schedule. It sucks, as I still haven't managed to catch them live.

They're my white whale!

Kurita

Charisma.com last album was actually a dissapoinment. Not surprised to see their new material being a mediocre effort. I did enjoy their collaboration Tempura Kidz though. I hope for more crazy collab works.

I have been listening to the new Androp album a lot and its a strange one. I hate it at first, but with each listen it grows on me (although shitty songs like Neko is still shitty) . Its certainly not as good One and Zero, thats for sure.
Neko is a really funny song dedicated to the vocalist's cat. Just that idea is enough to make me love it :lol
Definitely their best album imo

Aizo

Banned
I need more Japanese New Wave in my life. I love Lillies and Remains, Brixton Academy, some of The Flickers stuff, etc. As much as I love Togawa Jun, I'm not too into Yapoos.
Also, nobody needs to recommend YMO. I'm well aware :p
Edit: I suppose I'm looking for current New Wave bands, so not old stuff by L'Arc~en~Ciel, Spitz, Buck-Tick, Beat Crusaders, the telephones, Supercar, etc.
Also, not a big fan of Polysics.

Top Bottom