• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

news_xlarge_sakuranao_02.jpg
http://natalie.mu/music/news/144070

Nao from Team Syachihoko picked the songs for an episode of Headbanger's Ball

・Pantera「Walk」
・Ministry「Jesus Built My Hot Rod」
・Guns N' Roses「Paradise City」
・Slipknot「Spit It Out」
・Red Hot Chili Peppers「Give It Away」
・Amaranthe「Hunger」
・Cinderella「Shake Me」
・Children Of Bodom「Needled 24/7」
・Machine Head「Imperium」
・Helloween「Kids of Century」

for some reason the inclusion of a Helloween song is cracking me up

--

200x_image.jpg

http://www.billboard-japan.com/d_news/detail/27427/2

...but why?

Aizo

Banned
Holy shit. Gesu no Kiwami Otome is in the new Taiko no Tatsujin for Vita. This is amazing.
Digital Mogura is the song they chose. Mmmm.

They'll also have Gimme Choco by Babymetal haha.

Aizo

Banned
Confirmed songs so far. Should be 80 or more when everything is announced.
Anime

“Crossing Field” (Sword Art Online)
“Ideal White” (Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works)
“Blazing” (Gundam Reconguista in G)
“Only My Railgun” (A Certain Scientific Railgun)
“Star!!” (The Idolmaster: Cinderella Girls)
“Seishun Satsubatsu Ron” (Assassination Classroom)

Vocaloid

“Lost One no Goukoku”
“Ren’nai Saiban”
“Plus Danshi”
“Noushou Sakuretsu Girl”
“Senbonzakura”
“Roku-chou Nen to Ichiya Monogatari”
“Yobanashi Deceive”

Game

“To Make the End of Battle” (Ys I & II Chronicles)
“Ashita he no Kodou” (The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki)
“Let’s Kouken! Koi no Choueki ha 1,000,000-Nen” (Freedom Wars)
“Blood Rage” (God Eater 2: Rage Burst)
“Daddy MULK” (Ninja Warriors)

J-Pop

“Gimme Choco!!”
“Digital Mogra”
“Follow Me”
“Koisuru Fortune COokie”
“RPG”
“Natsu Matsuri”

Variety

“Doughnut Hole”
“Senbonzakura ver. Sachiko Kobayashi”

Aizo

Banned
Sekai no Owari is in a bunch of 'em. RPG is also in the second 3DS one. Whichever song I play on Wii U Tokumori is not so good. I don't mind RPG, though. The game section in this one is starting out strong. It'll probably be better than in the past few Taiko games.

Aizo

Banned
Speaking of Gesu, I didn't see the new music video posted two pages back. I'm LTTP, but the song is really good.

Aizo

Banned
The new Kingdom Hearts Tribute Album has covers by artists including the singer from Suemitsu & The Suemith, the singer from 9mm Parabellum Bullet, jizue, and most importantly, Vampillia. What an interesting album.

Speaking of which, I don't think I've promoted Vampillia enough. I posted when I went to the concert last year, but I don't think I posted my impression afterward? Even if I did, I'm going to copy/paste what I posted about 'em on facebook.
"Holy, holy. That Vampillia show was amazing. The band includes guitars, bass, drums, a synth, a piano, a violin, a female opera singer, a metal growler, and one of the guys raps very rarely.
When it started, they played an intro song with mostly piano and violin. Then, when the music started getting heavier, the singer crawled out of the audience in a yeti costume. He screamed and headbanged until his mask came off, then he jumped back into the crowd. When he returned, he had lost the costume. He climbed back onto the stage, brought a ladder out, and climbed to the top to scream above the audience while popping a giant confetti popper. The show rapped up with Micchi (pictured next to me here) pretending to have a conversation with a member of AKB48 on his phone (they played the conversation over the speakers), and getting her to say "I love you." Such a weird, emotional, funny, brutal show!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH"
I originally had gone to see World's End Girlfriend (and Go-qualia, too, who put on a fantastic set), but I was a bit disappointed with WEG, because he was just playing doom poetry with BOOL (definitely interesting, but not what I had wanted to see). So, I ended up being blown away by Vampillia. They're a really fun, lively, uniquely progressive band. Definitely check them out!

Recommended songs:
Ice Fist
Lilac (Collab with Togawa Jun!!!)
mirror mirror (Collab with BiS)

Edit: Larsa, I wish you posted more. I think we have similar musical tastes.

Kurita

The Flickers and SAKANAMON dropped two amazing albums yesterday.

The Flickers's UNDERGROUND POP is quite impressive.
I just love the atmosphere they created. Raw energy meets electro, "Digital punk rock" as I saw on Twitter :lol The shouts and the innocent voice of the singer when he's not yelling... Beautiful. The instrumentals are also astounding. Definitely their best album so far, 14 perfect songs.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSyrxCNuHR8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmu_0gA0ins
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO9BslGJTl8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gr7HwTb8vE

SAKANAMON's あくたもくた is also astounding.
As good as INSUROCK released last year, if not better. Quirky pop-rock with a few electro beats. Fun and catchy songs as always. Their featuring with YeYe is pretty good this time. They're usually kinda boring but アナログラヴ is a really sweet song. 鳥兎怱怱 is a surprise, didn't expect piano to be part of this album. This song might their most "emotional" one yet due to that instrument, it's a beautiful song. The climax near the end is so good.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x40I9xurXk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsCJSP116lY

Aizo

Banned
Is there really no work-around for buying music digital on Amazon Japan? So crazy that it'll let me buy manga but not music. I do not understand.

Is there really no work-around for buying music digital on Amazon Japan? So crazy that it'll let me buy manga but not music. I do not understand.

There's a workaround but there's a little bit of work involved.

I wrote it up here

but the good news is that you're buying the gift cards directly so there's no reseller markup.

Slowdive

Banned
Vampilla are awesome, my favourite Virgin Babylon band is Mutyumu though, I wish they were more active, they were recording demos for a new album (what feels like) ages ago but nothing's come of it. Their singer does solo stuff so at least that's something.

I'm pretty sure I posted about her when her mini album came out in January but people who like Daoko might like Bonjour Suzuki. Been listening to her album all week, love it, so dreamy.

The guests for ONE OK ROCK's upcoming tour are pretty neat

Negoto, SiM, Takahashi Yu, OKAMOTO'S, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas hnnnnnnngh
Don't really like the others though :lol

Twenty one pilots not a big fan but grates to them for opening for them.
Oh and yes Vampilia is awesome, have yet to see them live though.

Larsa

The new Kingdom Hearts Tribute Album has covers by artists including the singer from Suemitsu & The Suemith, the singer from 9mm Parabellum Bullet, jizue, and most importantly, Vampillia. What an interesting album.

Speaking of which, I don't think I've promoted Vampillia enough. I posted when I went to the concert last year, but I don't think I posted my impression afterward? Even if I did, I'm going to copy/paste what I posted about 'em on facebook.
"Holy, holy. That Vampillia show was amazing. The band includes guitars, bass, drums, a synth, a piano, a violin, a female opera singer, a metal growler, and one of the guys raps very rarely.
When it started, they played an intro song with mostly piano and violin. Then, when the music started getting heavier, the singer crawled out of the audience in a yeti costume. He screamed and headbanged until his mask came off, then he jumped back into the crowd. When he returned, he had lost the costume. He climbed back onto the stage, brought a ladder out, and climbed to the top to scream above the audience while popping a giant confetti popper. The show rapped up with Micchi (pictured next to me here) pretending to have a conversation with a member of AKB48 on his phone (they played the conversation over the speakers), and getting her to say "I love you." Such a weird, emotional, funny, brutal show!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH"
I originally had gone to see World's End Girlfriend (and Go-qualia, too, who put on a fantastic set), but I was a bit disappointed with WEG, because he was just playing doom poetry with BOOL (definitely interesting, but not what I had wanted to see). So, I ended up being blown away by Vampillia. They're a really fun, lively, uniquely progressive band. Definitely check them out!

Recommended songs:
Ice Fist
Lilac (Collab with Togawa Jun!!!)
mirror mirror (Collab with BiS)

Edit: Larsa, I wish you posted more. I think we have similar musical tastes.

I read every post here! But I'm really lazy most of the time, or I start writing something and give up after a few sentences lol.

Vampillia is fucking great. The one-two of The Divine Move and my beautiful twisted nightmares in aurora rainbow darkness early last year was pretty spectular.

Vampilla are awesome, my favourite Virgin Babylon band is Mutyumu though, I wish they were more active, they were recording demos for a new album (what feels like) ages ago but nothing's come of it. Their singer does solo stuff so at least that's something.

I'm pretty sure I posted about her when her mini album came out in January but people who like Daoko might like Bonjour Suzuki. Been listening to her album all week, love it, so dreamy.

Mutyumu is also really great. I checked out the Hatis Noit album, but didn't really like it that much.

The Bonjour Suzuki album is really delightful and was released out of nowhere for me, even though I've been listening to the mini-album pretty regularly since it came out. Missed the announcement, I guess. Whispering, sugar sweet hip hop inspired dreamy pop music is a treasure and is too rare.

Kurita

Beatbox cover of KANA-BOON's hit song ないものねだり
https://youtu.be/ZSDwPw0KZAg
Amazing

Speaking of KANA-BOON, one month left before their new single aaaaaaaaah
Also, I want their new shirts so bad, it's pretty funny and super cute. I love that they're actually doing the designs of their stuff by themselves.

Aizo

Banned
Have you checked out her other project, Magdala? Much easier to listen to than her solo album, which grew on me.
Yes, also good. Virgin Babylon produces bunch of stuff I really like, like Kashiwa Daisuke and World's End Girlfriend, Go-qualia, about tess, 夢中夢. So good.
I read every post here! But I'm really lazy most of the time, or I start writing something and give up after a few sentences lol.

Vampillia is fucking great. The one-two of The Divine Move and my beautiful twisted nightmares in aurora rainbow darkness early last year was pretty spectular.

Do you go to any shows? I should go to your blog again.

Aizo

Banned
Two accounts. Account "A" has my address and credit card info. Account "B" is just an email address basically.

- Buy gift certificate with "A" and have it emailed to "B"
- log into "B" via proxy (you can't buy mp3s without a japanese IP address), redeem gift certificate and purchase the music
- download the music with their MP3 download software, which conveniently doesn't require a jp IP and gives you the option to log in to .jp or .com

It's a hassle but you're literally just converting currency to store credit so there's no markup.

Hahahaha. I just realized that I already figured this out and have another account with 1000 yen. Fuck. I did the wrong account back then, so I guess I'll buy and album, download it, and abandon it. Thank you!
Edit: Dang, still not working. Any free proxies/vpns that work?

Kurita

Good news, Charisma.com are now with Warner. Looking forward to their first major release. The announcement kinda reignited my love for them.

I don't really know if that's the solution to "fix" what's been wrong with their output lately.

not really getting my hopes up, even though going to a major has worked for Oomori and Daoko...

Shiina

I don't really know if that's the solution to "fix" what's been wrong with their output lately.

not really getting my hopes up, even though going to a major has worked for Oomori and Daoko...

Her music has been amazing even before signing with avex, though.

Kurita

There's literally no artists I like that became less good after going major.
"Worst case scenario" they stay the same. Best case scenario their music is even better (which happens almost everytime imo) so heh.
♪(´ε` )

Her music has been amazing even before signing with avex, though.

she's more of a case of worrying that going major would take away a lot of what made me love her, and instead it just gave more reasons to like her

in fact, I kind of have to agree with Kurita and say now that I think about it, there aren't many Japanese artists I like that have been negatively impacted by going major

definitely not the case in the west

Kurita

I don't know how it is in the West when an artist goes major.

But when I look at the reactions of Japanese fans on Twitter and other social networks whenever an artist/band goes major well, 99% of them are enthusiast. Different mentalities I guess. Maybe they're just less hung up about being indie and it simply means less to be with a small label over there.

Top Bottom