• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

Nocchi is getting hotter and hotter jesus.

The Flickers released a new music video for their upcoming full album. This major debut album is going to blow my mind, they're going all in with this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO9BslGJTl8 (Kinda NSFW, naked lady inside)

感覚ピエロ (Kankaku Piero) had a big announcement today : they announced their first CD to get a nationwide release. Really happy to hear that, but the tracklist is just their most famous songs... I hope they'll make their previous stuff easy to get someday...
7T21F7b.jpg

They also revealed the full version of A-Han!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJBtkZxzmUo
Amazing.

Kurita

[Alexandros] finally announced the release date of their 5th album.
ALXD will be released on June 16th. Pretty sure it'll be even better than Me No Karate. which was amazing. The singles they've been releasing recently all blew my mind so HYPE.

Kurita

04 Limited Sazabys secured a spot in my top 10 of the year with their debut album CAVU.
Short, fast-paced pop-punk album, every song is a f'n jam that I can start humming out of nowhere. I've been listening to it at least twice a day since I bought it.
It's soooooo good, they really deserve every bit of hype they're getting. They're the punk band I needed.

Another really good album released this week is nicoten's first full album.
I got into this band like 2 weeks ago and I'm already a fan. Young pop-rock trio with a good range of styles. They can do your typical Japanse pop ballad with さよならは云わない which reminds me of back number, some SAKANAMON-like tunes with アルドレア‥. The variety of this album is a huge plus. The vast majority of the songs send some good vibes so it's a good album to listen to if you want something to cheer you up.
Kinda bummed that Sony isn't really pushing them, I feel like they could be a pretty popular band.

With how much they post about being in the studio, I'd have to imagine they've got something in the works.

and frankly, Itsuka is a good person to have promoting hair care products :D

Namie Amuro's new album title is supposedly _GENIC I'm hoping we get some new info soon, but it looks like it might be a June release.
Yayyyyy! I can't wait!

Namie Amuro's new album title is supposedly _GENIC I'm hoping we get some new info soon, but it looks like it might be a June release.
Yayyyyy! I can't wait!

I was so hyped for this but now people are unsure if the information is correct or not, some are saying it might've been an April fools joke lol. The 10th next week is when the supposed reveal is, so we'll have to wait until then to see if it's true or not.

I was so hyped for this but now people are unsure if the information is correct or not, some are saying it might've been an April fools joke lol. The 10th next week is when the supposed reveal is, so we'll have to wait until then to see if it's true or not.

Damn I keep forgetting about April Fool's!!! Well shit! Lol
I hope the reveal will be true, I was thinking an album announcement should have been coming up pretty soon.

Been listening to Man with a Mission. I like them! I am also loving Kyuso Nekokami

Zoe

I think in an interview way back when, he said he has hundreds of songs in his backlog. They're also having other producers pitch in for the groups other than MM.

Won't be the same without his signature background vocals though :(

broz0rs

That is so sad. A big part of my childhood was watching Tsunku and the original MM in variety shows. I hope he's able to continue his life and still produce music.

Aizo

Banned
I think I'd like the telephones more, if all they were always like this. When I saw that video when it came out, I thought they always looked like that. I liked that so much, but wasn't really into Super High Tension. Lots of dumb, bad English lyrics, especially in songs like Hyper Jump.

Kurita

Dumb lyrics is part of their charm though! Like saying Disco in a lot of songs even though they say they're not into this genre :lol
Their best album is Rock Kingdom imo, maybe you'll like it more. I discovered the band with this album back in 2011, blew my mind.
Please come back soon the telephones. :(

Dumb lyrics is part of their charm though! Like saying Disco in a lot of songs even though they say they're not into this genre :lol
Their best album is Rock Kingdom imo, maybe you'll like it more. I discovered the band with this album back in 2011, blew my mind.
Please come back soon the telephones. :(

They will in May for their final show, which I hope gets recorded and released on Bluray.

Kurita

They'll appear at a few summer festivals, too.
But I want new content. The vocalist said he was working on new songs so that's why I'm even more confused.
Guess this means they'll release new stuff someday.

faridmon

I think I'd like the telephones more, if all they were always like this. When I saw that video when it came out, I thought they always looked like that. I liked that so much, but wasn't really into Super High Tension. Lots of dumb, bad English lyrics, especially in songs like Hyper Jump.

Yeah, I don't like them because they act like a parody band more than anything else. I saw them live in UK (supporting Polysics), and they weren't that good. They were energetic just for the sake of it and never had and coherence in their music.

Too bad, because I think they have the talent to produce some great Dance-Punk music, too bad they take it too far with their bad lyrics and dumb attire.

On another note, the new White Ash album is fucking amazing some of those grooves are just too good. Top 5 best album so far.

Hopes Bright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEimXM-E8O0
Orpheus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7E8pVxUJy0
Teenage Riot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N6pp7Dyga4

Kurita

New KEYTALK album to be released on May 20th!
Another AOTY contender coming. Their recent singles did a great job at showing how varied they can be. MONSTER DANCE was one of the catchiest songs of 2014 and FLAVOR FLAVOR was their take on classic love songs.

on first listen, I'm digging this Billie Idle album. I still think the mixing/mastering is kind of questionable, but I think they've done something kind of fresh here. I really really like the dynamic between the singers.

some pretty good engrish on there too. :)

Aizo

Banned
Yeah, I don't like them because they act like a parody band more than anything else. I saw them live in UK (supporting Polysics), and they weren't that good. They were energetic just for the sake of it and never had and coherence in their music.

Too bad, because I think they have the talent to produce some great Dance-Punk music, too bad they take it too far with their bad lyrics and dumb attire.
My friend saw them at Fuji Rock, and he said they're really annoying live.

Kurita

YMMV I guess, I only get positive feedback (not just from fans, people who discovered them live loved them right away). I also have one of their live shows on DVD, one of the craziest things I've ever seen. Vocalist doing cartwheels, cheerleaders and a monk joining them, super pumped crowd. And they're really nice guys.
But hey, to each his own. the telephones will forever be one of the best Japanese bands in my eyes and a perfect illustration of what I like in music : people having fun by making other people have fun (rolls off the tongue /s)

Quite digging this
まじ娘 - アマデウス (Majiko - Amadeus)
A Nico Nico artist releasing her debut album, and this song was written by Straightener's frontman Horie Atsushi. You can definitely recognize his style.

Last music video ever by SAKEROCK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uNmfLh71TQ
Dem drums.
Goodbye :'( We're losing one of the best instrumental bands.

Digest video of The Flickers's debut full album. Sounds like their most "experimental" album so far. Hype rising.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6bbyFQShig

New Kana Nishino single finally, "もしも運命の人がいるのなら" pretty excited for this, it sounds like Darling part 2 and I'm good with that.

4xw3mL2.jpg

Pretty covers too
http://s9.postimg.org/4rm3abnfz/kn_2.jpg
http://s9.postimg.org/fd5ymbtrj/kn_1.jpg

Damn I keep forgetting about April Fool's!!! Well shit! Lol
I hope the reveal will be true, I was thinking an album announcement should have been coming up pretty soon.

Might not be an April Fools after all?. Rumour is now:

13 songs (all brand new) with 5 PVs
Genres: R&B groove, classic dance pop, 80s & 90s

faridmon

My friend saw them at Fuji Rock, and he said they're really annoying live.

Haha, thats exactly what my friend said after their performance. I suppose he didn't know what to expect and was there because of Polysics, but yeah, I can totally see why would he think that.

Currently listening to old Chiaki Ishikawa albums, damn what a perfect singer she was. Too bad her recent labums/mini-albums turned out to be very boring.

New KEYTALK album to be released on May 20th!
Another AOTY contender coming. Their recent singles did a great job at showing how varied they can be. MONSTER DANCE was one of the catchiest songs of 2014 and FLAVOR FLAVOR was their take on classic love songs.

Yes! I'll be purchasing this. I fell in love with FLAVOR FLAVOR and MONSTER DANCE has seriously been on repeat a few times every day haha

Might not be an April Fools after all?. Rumour is now:

13 songs (all brand new) with 5 PVs
Genres: R&B groove, classic dance pop, 80s & 90s

Holy crap, I would be so freaking ecstatic if it was truly all new songs. That was one of the reasons I was a bit disappointed with uncontrolled, it wasn't a bad album at all, it was just filled with old songs and singles.
I can't wait till more info comes out, I'll be running to CDJapan lol

EDIT: I'm going to have to listen to the new Kana single, Darling is what attracted me to her, and if you say it's Darling Part 2, then I'm there!

EDIT2: I've only heard the telephones from the collab single they did with MiChi, and really loved they're fun sound. I've been wanting to listen to they're best hits album and hear some more.

Kurita

Purchases of the week (THE ORAL CIGARETTES, ストレイテナー and ゲスの極み乙女 are just singles so I won't bother talking about them)

THE TURTLES JAPAN - ELECTRONIC HUMANITY
Welp, that's an accurate title. Really EDM centric, with a good amount rock in there. It's not "flumpool meets EDM" as the rock tunes are pretty, well, rock. 8 songs, they all do a good job at showing what this superband is capable of. It's not THAT varied but still doesn't sound too samey. So yeah, a great mini-album, I hope they'll release more stuff because they sound gooooood.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4xbEKOydOY
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XL2BkHhjBk

Awesome City Club - Awesome City Tracks
Their major debut mini-album.
Such a good surprise. I knew I'd like this after listening to their songs on Soundclound and watching their MVs. It's city pop/pop-rock, most songs on this mini-album are pretty uplifting. It reminds me of the chef cooks me's old songs which a is reaaaaally good thing to say. I'm sure I'll listen to these guys and girls a lot!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x1-e2N59BM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZZCTYu24is

Rhythmic Toy World - BUFFeT
Their first full album after a streak of really solid mini-albums. I wasn't expecting too much from this album but still enjoyed it a lot. Their sound is right up my alley, energetic rock. They're part of KANA-BOON's "entourage" so I think I'm slightly biased :lol But really, it's a damn good album and it's going to grow on me with each spin. Good stuff.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GcTUn7qcRI
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hjDHN7TrEE

Top Bottom