• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kansoku

I mean, the new Kinoko is just the obvious "sequel" to their latest album, so it's not like they changed to become more mainstream.
Also I don't like the idea that they have a new style just because they're becoming "mainstream". Maybe that's what they want to do, without getting told to do so by suits. I often see that comment when artists do some new stuff that people don't like and it just seems silly to me.

The single? Yeah. But there's an enormous difference between their early stuff and their new stuff. There's a big difference in the styles of instrumental and even Sato's voice between, for example, WHIRLPOOL, 夜が明けたら, ユーリカ, 夜鷹 (aka, their old stuff) and 東京, クロノスタシス, You outside my window and Telepathy/Overdrive (aka their new stuff). Long Goodby, while being a little more pop-y (especially パラノイドパレード) still is mostly similar to their old stuff. I would've never guessed Fake World Wonderland would be "the next step" after Long Goodbye.

The fact is, they changed. Whether they actually decided for they change in style (it can happen), or they were influenced to change, it's unknown. But the change happened when they went major, so it makes you think. If this change happened after 3 albums released under a major label (for example), it would be extremely more probable they they changed because they wanted to change.
Anyway, personally, I don't like it. It's not that I think it's bad, and it's not bad by any means, but I think it's definitively worse.

Larsa

The fact is, they changed. Whether they actually decided for they change in style (it can happen), or they were influenced to change, it's unknown. But the change happened when they went major, so it makes you think. If this change happened after 3 albums released under a major label (for example), it would be extremely more probable they they changed because they wanted to change.
Anyway, personally, I don't like it. It's not that I think it's bad, and it's not bad by any means, but I think it's definitively worse.

They were still indie when they released Fake World Wonderland weren't they? Isn't the upcoming single their major debut?

I agree otherwise though. Fake World Wonderland was kinda a let down, I love You outside my window and クロノスタシス for being different in a really good way, but a lot of it was kinda bland.

Kansoku

They were still indie when they released Fake World Wonderland weren't they? Isn't the upcoming single their major debut?

I agree otherwise though. Fake World Wonderland was kinda a let down, I love You outside my window and クロノスタシス for being different in a really good way, but a lot of it was kinda bland.

Huh, you're right. I could swear they announced the major alongside the release of the album. Also, damn, I was misremembering the album release date. Thought it was released later than it was >.<

Nevermind then =P

The point about their sound still stands tho.

Quasar

Happy to see I now have the new Hanakana album shipping. Continued to be annoyed that I have to do this. $40 Australian for a album is crazy.

Kurita

New back number (well, short version, Universal plz)
https://youtu.be/F5lHX8Epzn0

GOOD ON THE REEL also released a short version for the title track of their major debut mini-album, can't wait.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBhcqTK9aLw

This week in "Japanese artists are all buddies" (thanks Arabaki Rock Festival)
KeBrkCj.jpg
Osada, Kawatani and Gocho from indigo la End + Usami from GOOD ON THE REEL + Shuto from KEYTALK

Kurita

Also new KEYTALK and Kinoko Teikoku coming, hype.
April was 2015's busiest month so far, a ton of amazing releases... 04 Limited Sazabys, cinema staff, The Flickers, Awesome City Club, SAKANAMON, THE TURTLES JAPAN, and more, released some fantastic albums.

Kansoku

I was checking out té's site to see if there was any news from them, and decided to check the members twitters; I found this tweet and if I understood it correctly, they have a new album which is now on mixing, and while it's not complete it's turning out nice, and after that they'll choose the art and title (which is still hard).

And I'm pretty excited now. I though that with the drummer leaving temporarily we wouldn't see anything this year. Eagerly awaiting an announcement.

Shiina

I was checking out té's site to see if there was any news from them, and decided to check the members twitters; I found this tweet and if I understood it correctly, they have a new album which is now on mixing, and while it's not complete it's turning out nice, and after that they'll choose the art and title (which is still hard).

And I'm pretty excited now. I though that with the drummer leaving temporarily we wouldn't see anything this year. Eagerly awaiting an announcement.

Ooh, excite! They haven't released anything in several years.

Also new Oomori Seiko single on 7/15!

v aah you're right, I missed that

Larsa

Kurita

Loving the new track. Hope the whole single will be on the French iTunes store tomorrow...

New CreepHyp is GOOOOOOD, can't wait for the full version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MCfLNP100E

Hosomi Takeshi from ELLEGARDEN/the HIATUS unveiled more details about his new project in this month's Rockin'on Japan.
It's a new band, not just a solo thing... My body is not ready to handle more awesomeness from this genius.
I wonder who the members of his band will be, given that the HIATUS was already an allstar line-up with members from toe, Tokyo Jihen, THEE MICHELLE GUN ELEPHANT, ASPARAGUS and FULLSCRATCH....

Kurita

Nai mono nedari is such an awesome cover for the aspiring Japanese rock band that has a lead female vocalist lol
Yeah I don't think there's a lot of guys who can sing like KANA-BOON's vocalist. Which is a bummer, I like male vocalists with high-pitched voices a lot... Well, there's plenty of them in Japan but still.

Kansoku

Listened to &#12365;&#12398;&#12371;&#24093;&#22269; single. Donut is great. The beginning sounds too much like &#12354;&#12427;&#12422;&#12360; (with a different guitar), but I love how for the most time they spend on the crazy instrumental. &#12473;&#12500;&#12459; is ok at best. I get the same feeling of &#26126;&#26085;&#12395;&#12399;&#12377;&#12409;&#12390;&#12364;&#32066;&#12431;&#12427;&#12392;&#12375;&#12390;, a "nice closing track, kinda minimal and mellow", but in this case is more pop-y and have more prevalent lyrics/vocal, which IMO is a little worse than &#26126;&#26085;&#12395;.

Kazzy

I got the new Perfume single delivered today - the box is pretty damn substantial!

I'd never seen the above video, so was surprised at how big the package actually was. There is a comparison with the Cling Cling single in there, just to give you an idea of scale.

Anyone else like Weaver? http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/WEAVER---Kuchizuke-Diamond/053cf3b641c744a963d19a23319fa0e7

Will the new Perfume single be available on itunes in the U.S. tomorrow or do we have to wait?

I think it's usually a week?

I got the new Perfume single delivered today - the box is pretty damn substantial!

I'd never seen the above video, so was surprised at how big the package actually was. There is a comparison with the Cling Cling single in there, just to give you an idea of scale.

Gorgeous, I wish I got in my pre-order before they ran out :'(

Top Bottom