• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Aizo

Banned
I'm convinced it's some kind of bizarre performance art. Apparently that's not even a picture of him (it's another poster)
Hahaha. The user took another user's picture? That's so weird. Just another reason I never use pictures of myself outside of facebook.

Slowdive

Banned
I'm convinced it's some kind of bizarre performance art. Apparently that's not even a picture of him (it's another poster)

Yeah, the first line of the guy's profile is "screaming "Somebody Help"" Pretty weird if it's a real person.

Mariko Goto is in a new film, I wonder if it was filmed after she quit music, hope she's doing okay.

I do too. I've dealt with similar issues my whole adult life and everything about her behavior and her blog posts sounded really uncomfortably familiar. I hope she's getting help, but mental health care in japan is notoriously poor and stigmatized.

I can't even imagine what she'd be like as an actor but I'm interested to find out.

Slowdive

Banned
I can't even imagine what she'd be like as an actor but I'm interested to find out.

I haven't seen either but she's in the film Petal Dance, and she's the main character in Taberu Dake, which is supposed to be good.

Edit: Interesting that in the pregnancy announcement Oomori said she nearly quit music after going major it was that stressful. Seems like a TV show about children partly persuaded her to have one.

forgot there were people in this thread who listen to Envy lol. It's kinda funny I was just on their channel yesterday and only noticed the album trailer posted. Some nifty making-of clips in there. Anyways, very happy these guys are still active. Their endurance is a gift to the world's post-hardcore scene.

yeah that comment took me aback for a minute. I had no idea they were still going. I was super into them in the early 2000s, kind of fell off at one point. kind of cool they're still kicking around.

AdamT

I'm very excited for a new Envy album. I lost track of them over the last year and thought they were on hiatus. This made my day.

Also, glad to see there are so many Perfume fans here. I finally bought the cd for Level3 last month and have the box for the latest single on the way.

Welcome, I think 90% of the thread likes Perfume

of course we're all on JPS. and most are on tumblr. and last.fm. and DG's hometown of the electricmole forums. and perfume-city.

I tend to use different usernames for a lot of things but any of you guys are welcome to PM me if you want to connect elsewhere too. :)

People use JPS forums? I've only used it once when I first signed up. I was super active on perfume-city but stopped about a year back, 'the last post wins' thread was always fun.

Jpop-Central has gotten more and more inactive, it's sad actually.

Slowdive

Banned
People use JPS forums? I've only used it once when I first signed up. I was super active on perfume-city but stopped about a year back, 'the last post wins' thread was always fun.

Jpop-Central has gotten more and more inactive, it's sad actually.

The JPS forums aren't that active, really.

Aizo

Banned
The JPS forums aren't that active, really.
The community isn't super social. I hardly get responses when I PM people.

is it weird that my first instinct was to see how deadgrandma's taking the news?
I was curious, since you mentioned it.
fishpockets said:
deadgrandma, please post if you're okay
no.gif
deadgrandma said:
If she can release so much stuff during her pregnancy, what was Ringo's excuse, lazy biatch

But seriously, good for her. And it's no doubt good for my bank balance too, I'm assuming she will slow down for at least a few months after the child has been born. And I'm sure all the stress of having a kid will make for good songwriting.

God I sound like an asshole :p
Well, there you go.

Kurita

Purchases of the day

THREE LIGHTS DOWN KINGS - ENERGIZER
The band's second full album. Became a fan of these guys a few days ago. I thought they were just Fear, and Loathing In Las Vegas-wannabe at first. They also combine electro/techno/dubstep and hardcore but they have way less shouts than their "sempai". Overall it's less hardcore-oriented, a bit more emo I guess. Anyway, ENERGIZER is a good title cause I'm pumped up when I listen to it. Really really great stuff.
http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/THREE-LIGHTS-DOWN-KINGS---Lost-Melody/f8f381afe0579c4f04ffc39ddbb278ad

フレデリック - OWARASE NIGHT (Frederic - OWARASE NIGHT)
Their third mini-album. I was super hyped for this release as their previous mini-albums were amazing. Not surprising to see that this new one is on the same level, these guys are so damn talented. Catchy, funky, kinda psychedelic. Pretty sure this mini-album will get some exposure. The band already managed to get a lot of attention thanks to their videos lately (their major debut PV has more than 2.8 millions views).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3sigAJXG1E

クリープハイプ - 愛の点滅 (CreepHyp - Ai no Tenmestu)
Honestly there's not much to say, it's your typical CreepHyp single. An addicting title track and 3 solid b-sides. They released like 3 versions of this single though which is kinda annoying. I'm afraid I'll never get to listen to the 4 songs scattered across the other two versions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MCfLNP100E

Sweet, I was looking for this. Even camped out the Jet Set Records page only to see it switch from "Coming soon" to "haha Record Store Day did you really think we'd have these available online GTFO" a few days back when it was supposed to go on sale. Which is a blessing in disguise because seriously I have enough vinyl I don't listen to.

EDIT: aw shit and it's downloadable too. 80MB WAV files, even.

it's Boris. I have every faith they'll appear sooner rather than later

and then Southern Lord or someone will decide to sell it some years from now for way too much money

Kurita

KEYTALK announced their first ever Budokan show! October 18th!
Amazing news, I'm so proud of them. I've been cheering for them ever since their indie debut in 2009, they're like my children :lol

Vard

A reminder/heads up that instrumental rock band toe will be touring the US in July.

http://youtu.be/FOKbcSuCzYk

Toe -- 2015 Tour Dates
Thu. 07-02-15 - Los Angeles, CA @ Echoplex
Fri. 07-03-15 - San Francisco, CA @ The Independent
Sun. 07-05-15 - Portland, OR @ Doug Fir Lounge
Mon. 07-06-15 - Vancouver, BC @ Electric Owl
Tue. 07-07-15 - Seattle, WA@ Neumos
Wed. 07-08-15 - Boise, ID @ Neurolux
Thu. 07-09-15 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Urban Lounge
Fri. 07-10-15 - Denver, CO @ Bluebird Theater
Sat. 07-11-15 - Lincoln, NE @ Vega
Sun. 07-12-15 - Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall
Mon. 07-13-15 - Toronto, ON @ Virgin Mobile Mod Club
Tue. 07-14-15 - Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
Wed. 07-15-15 - Boston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall
Thu. 07-16-15 - New York, NY @ LPR - Le Poisson Rouge
Fri. 07-17-15 - Washington, DC @ U Street Music Hall

AdamT

I remember them! I'll see if I can make the Boston show. I haven't seen any Japanese bands since FACT in Philly the year before and a couple of punk/pop-punk bands in between.

recently picked up 2& (Double And)'s album "Live Idol Artist" and I'm super impressed.

The title is a little misleading because basically it's really solid, catchy, well-produced alt rock, and not so much idol-ish. Her vocals are a little rough live but not on album. I guess it's some kind of poorly kept non-secret that she's also a member of Guso Drop.

--

I kind of adore this Pink Tokarev shirt because it's so hilariously on the nose

A reminder/heads up that instrumental rock band toe will be touring the US in July.

http://youtu.be/FOKbcSuCzYk

Toe -- 2015 Tour Dates
Thu. 07-02-15 - Los Angeles, CA @ Echoplex
Fri. 07-03-15 - San Francisco, CA @ The Independent
Sun. 07-05-15 - Portland, OR @ Doug Fir Lounge
Mon. 07-06-15 - Vancouver, BC @ Electric Owl
Tue. 07-07-15 - Seattle, WA@ Neumos
Wed. 07-08-15 - Boise, ID @ Neurolux
Thu. 07-09-15 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Urban Lounge
Fri. 07-10-15 - Denver, CO @ Bluebird Theater
Sat. 07-11-15 - Lincoln, NE @ Vega
Sun. 07-12-15 - Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall
Mon. 07-13-15 - Toronto, ON @ Virgin Mobile Mod Club
Tue. 07-14-15 - Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
Wed. 07-15-15 - Boston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall
Thu. 07-16-15 - New York, NY @ LPR - Le Poisson Rouge
Fri. 07-17-15 - Washington, DC @ U Street Music Hall

totally spaced this. Seriously considering the San Francisco date.

new sajjanu album out. Digital only atm, CD to follow. HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL MATH ROCK.

Kurita

Radwimps Asian/ Europe tour.
10/09 Seoul - South Korea AX Korea
10/13 Paris - France Le Trabendo
10/15 Cologne - Germany -Stollwerck
10/17 Berlin - Germany C-Club
10/19 London - United KingdomO2 Academy Islington
10/23 Taipei - Taiwan ATT SHOW BOX

http://www.jame-world.com/us/news-115387-radwimps-to-tour-asia-and-europe.html

Already have my ticket for the Paris show.

Mrs. GREEN APPLE released two live videos. Can't wait for their major debut mini-album in July. Pretty sure they'll be the best rookies of the year. The vocalist is only 18 but he already has some presence, I like that a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s6xcRSl600
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyFr4vOCIME

Can my fellow Last.fm users upvote this pic ?
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Mirraz/+images/104739121
Thanks!

Aizo

Banned
Anybody listen to ? Post-rock/Math-rock band that really likes long album and song titles.

Can my fellow Last.fm users upvote this pic ?
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Mirraz/+images/104739121
Thanks!

Do you use last.fm to find new music? I feel like you own so much, so what's the purpose of using it? For me, I have far too many albums I still haven't listened to on my computer, so I haven't used it in years.

Edit: Wasn't somebody talking about wearer recently? What's the latest with them? I've always loved 東京の夜が廻りだす。. Wonderful song.

Kurita

Do you use last.fm to find new music? I feel like you own so much, so what's the purpose of using it? For me, I have far too many albums I still haven't listened to on my computer, so I haven't used it in years.

Edit: Wasn't somebody talking about wearer recently? What's the latest with them? I've always loved 東京の夜が廻りだす。. Wonderful song.

No I just use it to keep track of what I'm listening to. I like stats.
Seems like some people are using me to discover new music though :lol

As for your edit, the member was talking about Weaver (piano/bass/drums trio)
wearer are working on some new material according to the leader's Twitter account.

Kansoku

Anybody listen to ? Post-rock/Math-rock band that really likes long album and song titles.

Yes, love them. I'm pretty exited that they might release something new:

I was checking out té's site to see if there was any news from them, and decided to check the members twitters; I found this tweet and if I understood it correctly, they have a new album which is now on mixing, and while it's not complete it's turning out nice, and after that they'll choose the art and title (which is still hard).

And I'm pretty excited now. I though that with the drummer leaving temporarily we wouldn't see anything this year. Eagerly awaiting an announcement.

Top Bottom