• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Aizo

Banned
Can someone recommend a really heavy band for me?
Surely you already know Maximum the Hormone? Their new stuff is still good. Here's another (stick with it).
Sigh
Vampillia (best band I've ever seen live)
Amüza
(old) Blood Stain Child sounded like Children of Bodom, but I didn't really like them from 2005~2012. They sounded a lot like Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas. Now, they have a new female singer, and they sound like this.
Dazzle Vision

If you like Power Metal, I can give you tons of recommendations, too. I can also give you lots of Visual Kei recs.

Kurita

8sK7NDg.gif

Two words they really like slapped together

Shiina

Sweet! Hopefully it's better than the most recent singles. Those song names are the most Ling Tosite Sigure, only thing that's missing is the word "sadistic" in there somewhere.

They probably have a song name generator somewhere. Also great news, I've been really into them lately.

Aizo

Banned
Is there still no release date for the new Maximum the Hormone DVD set?
夏頃って曖昧なぁ

Kurita

Reading the ro69's live report of ONE OK ROCK's latest show gave me the chiils.
Looks like it was a pretty intense live, Toru left the arena in an ambulance... Damn. Hope they'll release the DVD/BR this year, can't wait to hear the new songs live.

New Large House Satisfaction mini-album on September 9th! SHINE OR BUST.
Cool pic :)

September is starting to look pretty busy (as usual).

Is there still no release date for the new Maximum the Hormone DVD set?
夏頃って曖昧なぁ

Didn't even know they had one coming... Maybe they'll wait a little bit since Nao is pregnant.

Kurita

And last time they performed in France was 2011, my very first concert, I was 16... Aaah the memories. I'm not even a huuuge fan (I'm hyped everytime they release something though) but it was still amazing.

Loved them back in the Gauze / Withering to Death days, but I really haven't cared for them anymore. Nice to see someone finally doing a US tour at least.

Gauze is great. still the only one of theirs I genuinely like. I don't hate them or anything but they just don't do much for me.

I leave my desk for a few minutes and that happens. that's still 3+ minutes short of their longest song, but unsurprisingly it's written by the same guy(s), their producer and the dude from Hakoniwa...

I like that they've now more or less made their collaborators the official Yurumerumo Backing Band. weird idol indie psych collective. still pretty much my favorite thing going these days.

psylah

So Dir en grey is doing a short tour in NA

Might have to go.

Got to see them twice before, once in highschool and once in college, was disappointed in the setlist both times. If this was a part of last year's Gauze tour I might have been interested, but the stuff they play now just isn't the same.

What I wouldn't give for a full pre-Vulgar setlist...

I think it's due in no small part to KOM_I's hustle. she's always out there doing things with pretty big name/influential people, and making friends with some really famous people.

combine that with their style of music hitting pretty big lately (charisma.com's success, daoko was tweeting that her video passed 400k views) and they're positioned pretty well to break out even more

my only real concern is purely selfish in that it's currently really easy to buy their music and merchandise as a foreigner and once someone gets attached to major labels that usually stops being the case.

Kurita

my only real concern is purely selfish in that it's currently really easy to buy their music and merchandise as a foreigner and once someone gets attached to major labels that usually stops being the case.

?
That's usually the opposite in my experience. Like, I had to ask a friend living in Japan to get me Kankaku Piero's CDs because you can only get them on their website, they only deliver in Japan AND you have to pay by making a deposit through an ATM. Like, WTF. Let me give you some money.
And a lot of small bands only sell their stuff during live shows, too. KANA-BOON's pre-2013 (before their indie debut) CDs are unobtainable nowadays. :(

At least when a band goes major I know I'll find their stuff on iTunes/Amazon/HMV.

And a lot of small bands only sell their stuff during live shows, too.

yeah, let me tell you about my experience trying to buy Ucary & the Valentine's new EP.

Physical copies, you're right, but digitally more indie bands are using stuff like ototoy and bandcamp lately and you can buy from both from anywhere. Suiyobi's merch company is/was shipping internationally.

I really don't have issues with buying digital these days and in fact tend to prefer it in a lot of cases, especially with the cost of shipping. you know how much of a hassle it can be to do that though, and that's if they even sell it digitally (the new charisma.com for example isn't)

e: it might be on itunes, I didn't check

ugh I should get a jp itunes account one of these days

Kurita

Oh no, Warner is still a bit behind, there's only androp and Charisma.com afaik (maybe Kyary). Still can't buy stuff by Gesu no Kiwami Otome, indigo la End, Takahashi Yu...

Japanese labels have been putting a lot of stuff in overseas stores lately though... You can now buy a lot of music from Universal, Victor, Amuse... which is great since a huge amount of artists I like are with them.
Sony, Crown, King Records and a few others still hate money unfortunately.

30 seconds of KANA-BOON's next single
https://twitter.com/30music_bot/status/620840257362104321/video/1
Not bad at all but not their most exciting song either. Waiting for the b-sides.
They really have a pattern going on with their singles... Good A-side with amazing b-sides/Amazing A-side with good b-sides/Good A-side with amazing b-sides...

AdamT

Surely you already know Maximum the Hormone? Their new stuff is still good. Here's another (stick with it).
Sigh
Vampillia (best band I've ever seen live)
Amüza
(old) Blood Stain Child sounded like Children of Bodom, but I didn't really like them from 2005~2012. They sounded a lot like Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas. Now, they have a new female singer, and they sound like this.
Dazzle Vision

If you like Power Metal, I can give you tons of recommendations, too. I can also give you lots of Visual Kei recs.

Yeah, I dig Maximum, Amuza was good, Dazzle Vision I've listened to before and like, and I feel like both old and new Blood Stain Child are something I could listen to more of. Not bad.

So, Vampilla is perfect. Those vocals are exactly what I was looking for. The rest of the band is great too hah.

So Dir en grey is doing a short tour in NA

I saw them on their last tour not too long ago. I hope this venue is bigger than last time. The goth lolitas just stood there and it made jumping around unbearable. I may seem them in New York. A bit of a drive/weather sucks around then.

Japanese labels have been putting a lot of stuff in overseas stores lately though... You can now buy a lot of music from Universal, Victor, Amuse... which is great since a huge amount of artists I like are with them.
Sony, Crown, King Records and a few others still hate money unfortunately.

Still no Perfume Blu-Rays in the US either! I know the Wrasse Records UK DVDs of 1st and 2nd are getting a US release end of July, but that's it for the older stuff. I still have no idea how long it'll take for a release of World Tour 3rd and if there's a Blu-Ray.

Kurita

A bit depressing to see LadyBaby buzzing in the West...
I have nothing against them, it's more of a complaint towards media in general.
Always talking about weird/silly things like Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Babymetal, LadyBaby, that boys band composed of old men... like it's the only thing that exists in Japan. It's one of the most diverse scenes in the world :(
Why can't they talk more about stuff like Perfume, Suiyoubi no Campanella, KEYTALK, Gesu no Kiwami Otome, Kyuso Nekokami (who are also silly in their own right), KANA-BOON, Frederic...

It's not just music, everyday you get a "Look how silly Japan is!" article about robot cats or something. /sigh

I wonder if Korean music fans felt the same way when Gangnam Style was everywhere.

brianashcraft.jpg

I feel like a lot of blame should fall on the whole Cool Japan thing too; Ladybaby is basically hand-crafted to further that agenda, and it bizarrely seems to promote the more "obvious" and stereotypical aspects of music and fashion

I could probably say a lot on this topic but I don't have the time. but this is the way it's been forever and will probably continue to be this way for a while more. at least the internet exists for those with the people with the interest to dive into it them(our)selves

I wonder if Korean music fans felt the same way when Gangnam Style was everywhere.

oh yeah, absolutely. there's a large korean population in my area and there was much eyerolling.

Aizo

Banned
I agree with your sentiment, Kurita. Pretty common problem. I hear it all the time—"you lived in Japan?? Was it weird? I hear they have high school girls' used panties in vending machines! Haha!"

yeah, let me tell you about my experience trying to buy Ucary & the Valentine's new EP.

Physical copies, you're right, but digitally more indie bands are using stuff like ototoy and bandcamp lately and you can buy from both from anywhere. Suiyobi's merch company is/was shipping internationally.

I really don't have issues with buying digital these days and in fact tend to prefer it in a lot of cases, especially with the cost of shipping. you know how much of a hassle it can be to do that though, and that's if they even sell it digitally (the new charisma.com for example isn't)

e: it might be on itunes, I didn't check

ugh I should get a jp itunes account one of these days

This is basically how I feel. Smaller bands tend to use Bandcamp/Ototoy/Soundcloud (the Especia RSD vinyl was downloadable via Soundcloud, fer chrissakes), and because I think Bandcamp is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I hate it when artists go major and stop posting their stuff to Bandcamp. iTunes is a poor substitute, not just because of regional differences but because of all the iTunes ecosystem cruft (plus the lack of lossless files).

Meanwhile, I was actually on vacation in Japan when I first heard about Wata Megumi, and I was too dumb to realize there was zero chance of me actually finding her album anywhere but oh god did I try anyways. (Again: thank goodness for Bandcamp.)

faridmon

Guys you should really listen to DYGL. I have been listening to their EP nonstop for the past month or so because its so damn good. You can get it from Bandcamp for less than 5 Bucks and its worth it. Its a side project from the main vocalist of Ykiki Beat as he diverges his sound to a bit Surf/Garage melodies although his Vapor/Chillwave style is still intact. Also,like Ykiki Beat, all of the vocals are sung completely in English and its damn good. Reminds me alot of older Real Estate mixed with some Wavves influence.

Its damn good.

They don't have their pure sound on Youtube, because all of the videos are done acoustically such as those two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp9TcsMbhVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZHFi70FeRw

However you can listen to the EP (and also buy them) on their bandcamp
https://dygl.bandcamp.com/releases

Kurita

Video is posted on their youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9V5aByfeCM

I think the song is good. Not a big fan of the video.
I'm loving the song and the video.
Laid-back US hip-hop SEKAI NO OWARI-style, it's both hilarious and fantastic. Once again they managed to surprise me.

It's even more hilarious when you know that it is the theme song for the Shingeki No Kyojin movie.

P.S : Saori is getting ridiculously hot

Two new Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra PVs, both featuring CreepHyp's vocalist! Didn't expect this collab, wow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUcqb23mMQ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8K9RI5vb2g

Kurita

go!go!vanillas just announced the release of their second single on September 16th.
They also held a live today to introduce their new guitarist, Yagisawa Shintarou! He looks like a cool dude.

Suck a Stew Dry announced a new mini-album which will be released on September 9th, and one of the songs is arranged by Prof Sakamoto!

Kurita

Good news is no one is forcing you to listen to them.

Triple Fire (トリプルファイヤー) announced a new album which will be released on September 15th.
They're pretty a wacky hip-hop (?)/rock band, it's quite funky despite the vocalist's peculiar voice... haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_DiyoLGvKU

Short version for Base Ball Bear's new single
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3QxjoFAJnA
Pretty catchy summer tune!

Sekai no Owari have outshat themselves with this new disaster.

I wasn't going to be the one to say it since so many people seem to enjoy it.

--

the new Recoride is out today. haven't heard it yet but this video straddles the line between "headache" and "awesome," which puts it neatly in my wheelhouse

Kurita

I thought the lyrics were alright, and it fits the Attack on Titan movie. I'm impressed by Fukase's English, glad to see he made progress...
And it's in English because they worked with Dan The Automator methinks
They do want to become an international band though.
Their strategy is a bit dumb imo, they released a few songs with different arrangement on overseas iTunes but it doesn't sound good. They really lack the charm of the original versions. The full english version of Dragon Night isn't too bad, but I still think it's not necessary. Guess they think foreigners can't enjoy songs in Japanese (which in my experience is true, a lot of person I know usually like the music itself but can't really get into it because they don't understand the lyrics)

Aizo

Banned
You're not really into lyrics, though, as I recall you once saying.
They're definitely terrible lyrics, if you really look for good lyrics.

Top Bottom