• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

broz0rs

Avex YouTube channel uploaded a ton of DAI 14th anniversary concert clips. So much nostalgia listening and watching to these performances.

CRvUEoBUAAA5wEy.jpg:large

CRvUEo8UEAEt-8J.jpg:large

still the classiest merch in the biz

but not as cool as psybou kanojo's napalm death tribute shirt

llehuty

Whaaaa. I'm so jealous. Their live shows are expensive. Where do you live??
It was in Paris, at Moshi Moshi Nippon. There were more groups performing, so they did only a 1 hour set, but it was good enough.

Price was actually really cheap (payed 75€ for the 2 day pass with 3 meet&greet) and got to watch World Order, Capsule, Charisma.com, Tempura Kidz and Cheeky Parade.

I don't know if they are performing in the tokyo edition of Moshi Moshi Nippon, but entrance to that is free if you own a non-japanese passport and register online.

Kurita

Looking at my music library and thought "I wonder what got released in 2004"... It was a GREAT year for rock.

-ELLEGARDEN's Pepperoni Quattro.
-Supercar's last album, Answer.
-ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION's classic album ソルファ.
-TRICERATOPS's LICK&ROCKS
-ACIDMAN's equal.
-BRAHMAN's THE MIDDLE WAY
-フジファブリック's major debut album
-ストレイテナー's major first album
-ORANGE RANGE's musiQ (it just went downhill from there even if I still like what they release nowadays!)
-BUMP OF CHICKEN's ユグドラシル.
-syrup16g's Delayedead
-SPARTA LOCALS's Sun Sun Sun

Definitely confirm my thought that the early 2000s were when Japanese rock started to blossom (and it still is in 2015!)

Slowdive

Banned
Kinoko Teikoku's new album cover and tracklist:

01. 猫とアレルギー
02. 怪獣の腕のなか
03. 夏の夜の街
04. 35℃
05. スカルプチャー
06. ドライブ
07. 桜が咲く前に
08. ハッカ
09. ありふれた言葉
10. YOUTHFUL ANGER
11. 名前を呼んで
12. ひとひら

news_header_kinokoteikoku_art201510.jpg

Aizo

Banned
Kinoko Teikoku's new album cover and tracklist:

01. 猫とアレルギー
02. 怪獣の腕のなか
03. 夏の夜の街
04. 35℃
05. スカルプチャー
06. ドライブ
07. 桜が咲く前に
08. ハッカ
09. ありふれた言葉
10. YOUTHFUL ANGER
11. 名前を呼んで
12. ひとひら

news_header_kinokoteikoku_art201510.jpg
Weird. So weird. I've seen them play live. I've stood at the back of another show with the bassist. They look soooo different. So weird. They were one of my favorites. It's like when Johnny Damon went from the Sox to the Yankees and got all cleaned up. It just feels so fake and corporate.

Kurita

Cats are always a good thing to put on an album cover! Can't wait for that release.
I hope we'll get more Supercar-like songs like Telepathy/Overdrive. I was watching this year Rock in Japan and that's the song that got broadcast, it's so good.
Also cool to see that RADWIMPS invited them for their upcoming tour, surely it'll give them some exposure.

Kurita

Talk about no fun allowed...
Can't do a somewhat light-hearted picture that follows the title of the album I guess. Oh well

Aizo

Banned
Talk about no fun allowed...
Can't do a somewhat light-hearted picture that follows the title of the album I guess. Oh well
I love cats. The cats can stay. I'm talking about their appearance. Their haircuts and clothing and everything. They've changed so much. Imagine the opposite. Imagine if Alexandros started getting a more grungy look and started playing Shoegaze. You'd surely be disappointed.

Saw Tricot in Chicago last night for $12. Amazing show in a small bar with great turnout, especially considering it was an 11:30 Tuesday night show (I drove 2 hours from Milwaukee and am now back at work for the morning... worth it!)

They've still got a few more US stops planned and I can's recommend them enough if they are coming to one of your cities: http://www.songkick.com/artists/4651993-tricot

Aizo

Banned
Yeah, why is it being ironic ruled out? The big slice at their shoulders suggests subtext too.
That's an interesting idea that I'd not thought of, but I would doubt that, considering their drastic change to their music and movement towards mainstream success (which is not inherently bad).

Just got home from the Toronto tricot show. Holy SHIT. I was not prepared. I figured they'd be technically proficient, obviously. But it turns out they can work a crowd, too, with tons of energy and even some crowdsurfing. Lee's Palace went insane; I never expected a mosh pit to form, let alone one that filled the entire bottom floor of the venue, but there it was.

It was wild how excited everyone was for tricot, and it was wild how excited tricot seemed just to be there. I'd say if you have the chance to see them during their North American tour and you're even remotely interested, GO. You won't be disappointed. (Unless you want some merch and you're not first in line--they sold out of everything they brought with them. The white vinyl copies of T H E were the first to go, sadly.)

Pictures weren't nearly as good this time but here they are if you're interested. Maybe one day Lee's Palace will actually let me in with a good camera again.

Ah glad to see someone from Gaf went also! yeah i literally rushed to after the show was over to get the THE vinyl and Cosmo vinyl.

amazing show, lmao at that salsa part

Just got home from the Toronto tricot show. Holy SHIT. I was not prepared. I figured they'd be technically proficient, obviously. But it turns out they can work a crowd, too, with tons of energy and even some crowdsurfing. Lee's Palace went insane; I never expected a mosh pit to form, let alone one that filled the entire bottom floor of the venue, but there it was.

It was wild how excited everyone was for tricot, and it was wild how excited tricot seemed just to be there. I'd say if you have the chance to see them during their North American tour and you're even remotely interested, GO. You won't be disappointed. (Unless you want some merch and you're not first in line--they sold out of everything they brought with them. The white vinyl copies of T H E were the first to go, sadly.)

Pictures weren't nearly as good this time but here they are if you're interested. Maybe one day Lee's Palace will actually let me in with a good camera again.
Chicago show was pretty much the same aka awesome. Apparently they ate at Billy Goat prior cuz they were wearing the merch and they kept quoting the "Cheeseburger cheeseburger cheeseburger" skit from SNL. Ikkyu seemed sad that she missed Chicago deep dish pizza though. "Eat Chicago deep dish pizza... This is my dream! How can I do this?"

genjiZERO

Hi, does anyone in here listen to traditional music or study Japanese music theory? If so, I have a few questions if you could help.

1. What are some standard songs that are exemplary of the styles? For example, Sakura, Sakura - but it doesn't have to be that simple. Tokyo Lullaby and Chinsagu no Hana are standards too.

2. Any good resources on Japanese theory from a theoretical perspective. For example, how to articulate what in or yo scales represent their developments, etc. Or what instruments represent. For example, a shou represents the sound of a phoenix or light coming down from heaven.

Anyway, I know this is more of a pop thing (love Supercars!), but I was hoping this might be covered in "all 'dat" as well.

GhaleonQ

Saw Tricot in Chicago last night for $12. Amazing show in a small bar with great turnout, especially considering it was an 11:30 Tuesday night show (I drove 2 hours from Milwaukee and am now back at work for the morning... worth it!)

They've still got a few more US stops planned and I can's recommend them enough if they are coming to one of your cities: http://www.songkick.com/artists/4651993-tricot

Chicago show was pretty much the same aka awesome. Apparently they ate at Billy Goat prior cuz they were wearing the merch and they kept quoting the "Cheeseburger cheeseburger cheeseburger" skit from SNL. Ikkyu seemed sad that she missed Chicago deep dish pizza though. "Eat Chicago deep dish pizza... This is my dream! How can I do this?"

Yes, oh my goodness. I would only add that Detroit 7's drummer is ferocious.
Here are some okay videos of mine if you want to reminisce!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e7V4Di6CLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb8OcFWmLxc

The crew was also incredibly nice about the band staying afterward for as long as possible. I chatted with them as best I could, and they said that since they just have that 1 new song written, they're aiming for late 2016 for the next release (E.P. or L.P.).
12070891_166628363683178_1449498980_n.jpg

12071038_1516453252009259_394064628_n.jpg

12145593_1502971659996410_1266655189_n.jpg

12071017_1476058229368200_1249924686_n.jpg

Infinite

I never really gave Suiyobi no Campella a good listen. Where should I even start with her material? I feel so overwhelmed brehs

Top Bottom