• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

Back in the early 2000s, I heard about new music from watching Hey Hey Hey Music Champ. They would always have countdowns of top songs that week. Music Station does it too.

Recently I've just been on youtube looking up bands I like and checking the side bar and randomly clicking bands I've never heard of with results being a tremendous success.

Awesome City Club, Oral Cigarettes, Frederic, and Gesu no Kiwami Otome just to name a few of the bands I've gotten into recently.

4 bands I love! Good picks ;)
Saw Frederic and THE ORAL CIGARETTES live in Tokyo this summer, it was a blast.

Here, have some more

All these + the four you mentioned are basically the artists I listen to the most right now.

Davedevil

Neo Member
4 bands I love! Good picks ;)
Saw Frederic and THE ORAL CIGARETTES live in Tokyo this summer, it was a blast.

Here, have some more

All these + the four you mentioned are basically the artists I listen to the most right now.

Holy. That's a lot of bands, thanks. I recognize a few bands I like. You and me, got good taste in music haha.

And very jelly, would love to see any of these bands live.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x39sgyd_nogizaka46-ima-hanashitai-dareka-ga-iru_music

There you go. I checked out more of their songs, to my amazement very decent stuff. Hope in jpop and idol groups partially restored. They are going to be first idol group on my playlist.

Jpopsuki.tv is good for mvs but seems it's blocked for Japan.

I'd say Nogi are definitely the best idol group around right now. I get the impression that there's more care put into that group by management than any of the other groups associated with them. There's a consistent level of quality in their music, variety shows etc. that you don't see with the other 48 family groups. And it shows as they've continued to grow in popularity while the other spinoff groups have fluctuated in a big way.

daydream

Banned
i would totally buy a campanella or charisma.com poster if such a thing was available here

no way to get one outside japan, i assume?

i would totally buy a campanella or charisma.com poster if such a thing was available here

usually posters for not-huge acts only really exist as preorder bonuses, stuff like that.

although I saw on twitter that the ladies were signing a bunch of OLest posters, I think they were giving them out when they were in europe.

you can usually find people reselling stuff on yahoo auctions (like this), but it's a pretty huge pain in the ass if you don't live in japan, as you will need to get a forwarding service most of the time.

daydream

Banned
usually posters for not-huge acts only really exist as preorder bonuses, stuff like that.

although I saw on twitter that the ladies were signing a bunch of OLest posters, I think they were giving them out when they were in europe.

you can usually find people reselling stuff on yahoo auctions (like this), but it's a pretty huge pain in the ass if you don't live in japan, as you will need to get a forwarding service most of the time.

yeah, that's why i need them to come to berlin

after paris, everything's possible, right

Kurita

Posters for non-idols artists aren't really a thing to be honest. Like, you almost never see posters sold with the other goods. The only one I got are Nothing's Carved In Stone's Strangers In Heaven one from Tower Records and [Alexandros] from Rockin'on Japan.

Which labels do you think produce the best stuff; what are your favorite Japanese music labels?
I don't know if the label really matters but the ones with the most artists I like are :
Victor (KEYTALK, Kyuso Nekokami, Hoshino Gen, SAKANAMON, Sakanaction, Awesome City Club, go!go!vanillas, SANABAGUN, The Mirraz, Yoru no Honki Dance, THE BACK HORN)

Sony (and especially their Ki/Oon sub-label with KANA-BOON, BLUE ENCOUNT, Scenarioart, ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION, FOLKS, Negoto, NICO Touches the Walls..).

Columbia (Czecho No Republic, 04 Limited Sazabys, Good Morning America)

A-Sketch (ONE OK ROCK, THE ORAL CIGARETTES, Frederic, LAMP IN TERREN, Hello Sleepwalkers, LEGO BIG MORL)

Universal (the HIATUS, MONOEYES, Straightener, 9mm Parabellum Bullet, [Alexandros], GOOD ON THE REEL, HaKU, SiM, Kinoko Teikoku, Base Ball Bear, Mrs. GREEN APPLE, RADWIMPS, Yonezu Kenshi, CreepHyp, back number)

Warner (especially their label unBORDE : androp, indigo la End, Gesu no Kiwami Otome, Takahashi Yu, tofubeats)

llehuty

iTzGlJz.jpg
You should have come to Paris.

huge step up from their last dvd, but there was a certain charm in the clumsiness there

<3 region-free dvds

e: lol at the crowd calling out Hashida's name. everybody knows he's as much a part of the group as anyone at this point

Aizo

Banned
What's in the Bremen CD/DVD? Did you get it, Kurita? I might buy the album today. I can't resist... even without my first paycheck... do I dare?

Edit: 3000 yen just for the album? Damn these J-prices. I always forget how painful they are.

Kurita

What's in the Bremen CD/DVD? Did you get it, Kurita? I might buy the album today. I can't resist... even without my first paycheck... do I dare?

Edit: 3000 yen just for the album? Damn these J-prices. I always forget how painful they are.
I don't know I just bought the digital version
I think the DVD just has the music videos so it's not really interesting.

Honestly I don't think Japanese music is really expensive. I mean an album in France costs like 15-16 euros, the average price of a Japanese album is 2700-2900 yen, around 20 euros (in the long run it makes a big difference I guess). And that's without a discount from Amazon for instance. KANA-BOON's latest album costs 2300 yen on Amazon which is basically the price of an album in my country. I ordered Kyuso Nekokami's new album limited edition that comes with a live DVD, 3000 yen on Amazon, same price as the regular edition thanks to the discount. So yeah if I compare it to an album bought here it's an extra 4 euros but I get a meaty CD+DVD compared to an album in France where stuff is often barebones...

Now if you buy something at Tower Records it's a different story but you often get some cool bonuses so...

Aizo

Banned
I bought the newest Coheed & Cambria album last week for 10 bucks and the newest Dear Hunter album for 9 several weeks ago, so it's quite a jump from what I'm used to.

I've always been into indie/small label stuff, I've never really spent more than $15 AT WORST for western music on cd. 3000+ jpy for a cd album is absurd, but they don't leave us with many options in some cases.

don't even get me started on 8000+ jpy concert dvds/blu-rays

Aizo

Banned
Don't get me started on how much Japanese indie bands' concerts are, and you always add 500 yen on that for the "free" drink ticket.
I've always been into indie/small label stuff, I've never really spent more than $15 AT WORST for western music on cd.
Exactly.

X drink minimums aren't unique to JP though, so it's not that bad in my mind. I understand why they exist.

that YMM! dvd cost 4000jpy but it's also 2.5 hours long and very well produced, I'm ok with that price, even if it's probably at least $10 more than I think is the "right" price. Major label/well selling groups charge hilarious amounts because they can. sigh

Kurita

The 500 yen drink doesn't bother me at all. I know I'll drink something anyway so...
And it's kind of a necessity for the livehouse.

Aizo

Banned
I mean, I never regret having a shot of whiskey, but I'd like to have the choice of whether or not I'm buying a drink.

Kurita

Lockers are waaaay cheaper in Japan though so that's something. Plus most of the time they're individual lockers, not "give your stuff to one person and wait 10 minutes to get your bag/coat back after the show"
Prices in France are nuts, like 2 euros/article. Payed 200 yen for a locker when I went to Shinjuku Loft.

Lockers are waaaay cheaper in Japan though so that's something. Plus most of the time they're individual lockers, not "give your stuff to one person and wait 10 minutes to get your bag/coat back after the show"
Prices in France are nuts, like 2 euros/article. Payed 200 yen for a locker when I went to Shinjuku Loft.

most clubs I've ever been to in the US don't have a coat check or lockers at all. you're stuck holding your clothes and merch the whole damn time

Aizo

Banned
most clubs I've ever been to in the US don't have a coat check or lockers at all. you're stuck holding your clothes and merch the whole damn time
Yupp.
I was surprised to find lockers, but I honestly usually just carry my stuff unless I just came from somewhere with a lot. It's not that expensive, but it's just not worth it sometimes.

FuuPhoenix

Neo Member
Love this thread!

For anybody into experimental/noise rock/Japanoise (I haven't seen these guys mentioned yet) try Nisennenmondai. They are a crazy all-female band along a similar vein of Hella with a mixture of stuff found in bands like Tricot, Ruins, Melt Banana & Boredoms but they sound completely unique. Their live videos on YouTube are absolutely insane! Or give the album Ikkkyokume a try :).

Love this thread!

For anybody into experimental/noise rock/Japanoise (I haven't seen these guys mentioned yet) try Nisennenmondai. They are a crazy all-female band along a similar vein of Hella with a mixture of stuff found in bands like Tricot, Ruins, Melt Banana & Boredoms but they sound completely unique. Their live videos on YouTube are absolutely insane! Or give the album Ikkkyokume a try :).

never heard of them before, this is totally up my alley

LayLa

Love this thread!

love this, very similar to Factory Floor who are <3

Kurita

Received Kyuso Nekokami's new album today and the booklet has some cool drawings by Ishiguro Masakazu, the author of And Yet The Town Moves!

As for the album itself, well, it's Kyuso Nekokami. Wacky, catchy as hell, hilarious lyrics with a nice variety of themes from worried dads to samurais, cats...
Haven't found THE song yet, but their albums are always growers. One day you just say to yourself "Holy shit this song is incredible! How am I only noticing this now?!"
Feels good to finally have a full album, they've been releasing mini-albums for three years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzO04hUbDNc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCex2gTH_cQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZEGUfWSgls

Love this thread!

I thought they were better known but they just released a new album and nobody seemed to notice.

Anyway the new 3776 album is really good. Even though I've heard most of the songs before, the way they're arranged to flow together with all the intervals on the album is pretty interesting and &#27700;&#12391;&#12391;&#12365;&#12390;&#12356;&#12427; takes their late-80s-avant-rock influences to new heights. No prize for guessing how many seconds long the album is.

Don't get me started on how much Japanese indie bands' concerts are, and you always add 500 yen on that for the "free" drink ticket.
Exactly.

yo the concert I went to last week was 4,000 yen only like an hour and a half long, with a `free` drink as long as it was 400 yen or less... eventhough I fell in love with the band that shit is way more expensive than in Georgia where you could get into a show for less than $10. -sigh- oldman/foreigner status I guess. Though they were selling their cd pretty cheap I guess in comparison, only 2,100

Kurita

4000 yens (around 30 euros) is pretty much a standard price in France for a lot of shows, and Japanese artists tend to charge more (which is normal since it's super expensive to bring them to Europe).
Less than 10 dollars for a show though?! The cheapest concert I've ever been to was 18 euros (it was the Brahman/locofrank show in Paris in June)!

<3

from Majisuka Gakuen?

---

tumblr_inline_nwsh7r2RR21qc5o9h_540.jpg

It was announced on the TV show Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai ya Arahende!! that Nakata will be producing the &#8220;debut&#8221; of artist Hamada Bamyu Bamyu, a Kyary parody character portrayed by comedian Hamada Masatoshi. Hamada will also receive a music video with art direction from Masuda Sebastian, one of the members of Kyary&#8217;s creative team.

there's so much snarky bullshit i'm restraining myself from saying

<3

from Majisuka Gakuen?

---

there's so much snarky bullshit i'm restraining myself from saying

On the one hand I love that Nakata would do something like this, but on the other hand this is the sound of me continuing to not give a shit about anything Nakata's done since Level3/Caps Lock.

don't worry Pick Me Up we're still cool

Kurita

More interested in Hamada than Kyary

New &#12501;&#12524;&#12487;&#12522;&#12483;&#12463;!
https://youtu.be/7OO8Egn-R0Y
Song is alright, but I kinda wish they'd picked a different song for the PV. I listened to the previews of the other tunes on iTunes and some of them are catchier than this one.

Man, we were talking about the prices of Japanese discs and all earlier, I have to say that Hoshino Gen's upcoming album is a good investment. The limited edition is only 4000yen on Amazon and you get a bonus DVD (full version of his 2015 Budokan show, where Kashiyuka appeared!), a nice booklet and a bookcase like packaging. Definitely grabbing that!
Good cover on top of that.

Kurita

cinema staff just released a new single/EP today but already announced a new one which will be out on December 16th! Yay!

New &#12464;&#12483;&#12489;&#12514;&#12540;&#12491;&#12531;&#12464;&#12450;&#12513;&#12522;&#12459;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INf1Nb76S10
Bought their album yesterday, it's pretty damn good!

[Alexandros]'s vocalist and bassist have a radio show in English and it can be quite entertaining. Not gonna lie, it's pretty impressive to hear them talking in English, I don't know a lot of people who could host a show in another language.
http://www.sbs.com.au/popasia/blog/2015/09/16/j-rock-sessions-alexandros-episode-3?cid=cxenseab_a

As for Perfume's new single, well, still loving Star Train very very very much. Tokimeki Lights is alright, last song is way too long for what it is.

news_thumb_anna_art201510_01.jpg

Anna is leaving BELLRING Shoujo Heart, continuing the trend of "don't get attached to any members except Mizuho and Ayano"

--

I hope someone recorded that BiSH stream for Momoko's birthday.
complete with Aina bikini fanservice

e: vvv goood. have to look into that later. bless her heart, that little weirdo is one of my favorite people these days

Top Bottom