• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

popyea

lmao at the new Oshiripenpenz single cover. I'm super curious to hear what this stuff sounds like. The title "Saturday Night Beanbag Fever" has a lot of promise.

81aqY62vC2L._SL1256_.jpg

Aizo

Banned
I ended up seeing VELTPUNCH tonight. They were even more awesome than expected. Hidenori crowd surfed while playing a guitar solo, and then gave his guitar to the audience to play. So cool. They also played an unplugged set with guitar, some different drums, and a melodica. It was a one man live show, so they got really into it and played every song I wanted. Really awesome show. I talked with them briefly after the show, and they were really nice—funny, too. If anyone ever has the chance to see them, get close to the stage.

Porcile

On mobile so no link but check out ぼくたちのいるところ

Thanks! I quite like a couple of the songs so far. Going to be hard to top ミドリ and まりこ though. I'm quite liking Hajimetal's solo stuff as well (former ミドリ keyboardist). I will gladly take any other recommendations!

Is it cool to like Oomori Seiko still? ;) I like her live performances more than the recorded music. In general, I am really enjoying Japanese music which mixes things up a little bit and is unpredictable. So anything like that really. I'm not a fan of metal though.

Slowdive

Banned
Thanks! I quite like a couple of the songs so far. Going to be hard to top ミドリ and まりこ though. I'm quite liking Hajimetal's solo stuff as well (former ミドリ keyboardist). I will gladly take any other recommendations!

Is it cool to like Oomori Seiko still? ;) I like her live performances more than the recorded music. In general, I am really enjoying Japanese music which mixes things up a little bit and is unpredictable. So anything like that really. I'm not a fan of metal though.

Of course it's still cool! :p Have you seen her new live DVD/Blu-ray? It's amazing.

You've probably heard them already but if not I think you might like Jun Togawa and her band Yapoos. She's incredible live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9GrFx_Ucr0

Kurita

Just got back from Fear, and Loathing In Las Vegas's show in Paris. Amazing... Their energy is just unreal, I don't know how they manage to go this nuts, most bands can't do half they pull off. One of the vocalists did a perfect cartwheel like it was nothing... Great great setlist, good mix between their hits and the new album. Lost my goddamn mind whey they started playing Party Boys.
Crowd was on fire (even if there were the usual dumbass metalheads), sound was great... Between this and RADWIMPS last tuesday I'm super happy and tired as fuuuuck.

Next stops : ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION in three weeks and ONE OK ROCK in december!

Just got home from the Toronto tricot show. Holy SHIT. I was not prepared. I figured they'd be technically proficient, obviously. But it turns out they can work a crowd, too, with tons of energy and even some crowdsurfing. Lee's Palace went insane; I never expected a mosh pit to form, let alone one that filled the entire bottom floor of the venue, but there it was.

It was wild how excited everyone was for tricot, and it was wild how excited tricot seemed just to be there. I'd say if you have the chance to see them during their North American tour and you're even remotely interested, GO. You won't be disappointed. (Unless you want some merch and you're not first in line--they sold out of everything they brought with them. The white vinyl copies of T H E were the first to go, sadly.)

Pictures weren't nearly as good this time but here they are if you're interested. Maybe one day Lee's Palace will actually let me in with a good camera again.

popyea

I'm still a japan music noob and have only just started listening to Midori after seeing your post, so I don't know the full range of their sound. But from what I heard I recommend Otori, Hyacca and Oshiripenpenz. They all have a similar kind of energy and manic rhythm to them. I like unpredictable stuff as well so if you have any other recommendations as well I'd like to hear them :)

It's all over the place and also really good. That moment when the guy starts screaming out of nowhere on 恋のジュジュカ is the best.

the thing that's surprising to me is that it all works. the album somehow manages to flow and nothing seems out of place. or maybe it's because there's no "place" for any particular song or style to settle into. super neat album.

Porcile

I'm still a japan music noob and have only just started listening to Midori after seeing your post, so I don't know the full range of their sound. But from what I heard I recommend Otori, Hyacca and Oshiripenpenz. They all have a similar kind of energy and manic rhythm to them. I like unpredictable stuff as well so if you have any other recommendations as well I'd like to hear them :)

Cool. I'll give them a listen. I only started listening to Midori recently too, but I really like their sound. There's always Usagi (pre-Midori, they made one album I think) and Mariko Goto and Hajimetal's solo stuff. They seem to deviate more towards pop music, but great when they get going especially if they're playing live. Otherwise, I've not found much which matches that acoustic sound of Midori. I'll just have to dig a little deeper I think.

Otherwise, I always liked P-Model's first album "In A Model Room". Some other great songs on that album like "White Cigarettes", "Art-Mania" and "Kamaeri Pop".

Banana Melt are cool, a little bit grating though. Hikashu make some interesting music. Neither are very acoustic though.

You'll Melt More album details: http://natalie.mu/music/news/163220

17 tracks, looks like about 10 are brand new? lots and lots of Daichi and Hashida songs.

news_xlarge_youaretheworld_web.jpg

01. モモモモモモ!世世世世世世!
[作詞:小林愛 / 作曲:田家大知、松坂康司 / 編曲:松坂康司]

02. 転がれ!!
[作詞:小林愛 / 作曲・編曲:松坂康司]

03. Hamidasumo!
[作詞・作曲・編曲:ハヤシヒロユキ(POLYSICS)]

04. 1!2!かんふー!
[作詞:田家大知、小林愛 / 作曲:田家大知、松坂康司 / 編曲:松坂康司]

05. 難
[作詞:小林愛 / 作曲・編曲:Tamptin]

06. 不意打て!!
[作詞・作曲・編曲:ハヤシヒロユキ(POLYSICS)]

07. 眠たいCITY vs 読書日記
[作詞:小林愛 / 作曲・編曲:マモル(nhhmbase)]

08. 波がない日
[作詞:小林愛 / 作曲・編曲:大星徹]

09. Refresh Your Jewellery Box
[作詞:小林愛 / 作曲:HALIFANIE / 編曲:ゆるめるモ!バックバンド]

10. KAWAIIハードコア銀河
[作詞:小林愛 / 作曲・編曲:田家大知]

11. よいよい
[作詞:小林愛 / 作曲・編曲:ハシダカズマ(箱庭の室内楽)]

12. id アイドル
[作詞・作曲:後藤まりこ / 編曲:後藤まりこ、ハシダカズマ(箱庭の室内楽)]

13. 夢なんて
[作詞・作曲:緑川伸一 / 編曲:ハシダカズマ(箱庭の室内楽)]

14. 私へ
[作詞:小林愛 / 作曲・編曲:大星徹]

15. もっとも美しいもの
[作詞:小林愛 / 作曲・編曲:Koji Nakamura]

16. NNN
[作詞:小林愛 / 作曲・編曲:ハシダカズマ(箱庭の室内楽)]

17. Only You
[作詞:小林愛 / 作曲:田家大知、ハシダカズマ(箱庭の室内楽) / 編曲:ハシダカズマ(箱庭の室内楽)]

a Koji Nakamura song too, that should be pretty good.

e: 8 new songs. also it's funny that the entire Literature & Destroy EP is on this.

llehuty

Guysssssss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OBGxJ11xUk

It's just unreal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EKZVruJmG0

Whole concert.

Praying they do another world tour soon, I need to see them.

Sweet baby jesus, Story. The moment the vocals kick is just amazing.

They also performed Star Train (not included in the full concer cut you linked). Sound quality is awful and high pitched, but is worth watching for the performance.

That rotating shot of them singing with the old clips playing and with the crowd in the background is amazing.

And when they hold hands ;_;

finally getting a chance to sit down with this Oomori blu ray and... fuck

the shots of the crowd politely sitting in their chairs is cracking me up

popyea

Cool. I'll give them a listen. I only started listening to Midori recently too, but I really like their sound. There's always Usagi (pre-Midori, they made one album I think) and Mariko Goto and Hajimetal's solo stuff. They seem to deviate more towards pop music, but great when they get going especially if they're playing live. Otherwise, I've not found much which matches that acoustic sound of Midori. I'll just have to dig a little deeper I think.

Otherwise, I always liked P-Model's first album "In A Model Room". Some other great songs on that album like "White Cigarettes", "Art-Mania" and "Kamaeri Pop".

Banana Melt are cool, a little bit grating though. Hikashu make some interesting music. Neither are very acoustic though.

I'm afraid I didn't hear any acoustic songs from Midori so none of my recommendations really match that. Grating is probably a good word to describe them all though haha.

Aizo

Banned
New 80kidz song with terrible wonderful Engrish lyrics.
I think the song is about clams or something?
The music video would be way better without the lyrics on the screen. I wouldn't have even noticed how awkward they are at first if they didn't put 'em up there.

Soooo... I moved to Kagoshima Thursday... first time in Japan, don't really speak the language and first time living on my own... This place is fucking awesome to say the least. Almost in tears with how happy i've been since this move and its only been 4 days and a few hours.

Made random friends with 3 Japanese people, none of us really speak each others language but we keep bumping into each other in this city. Got taken to an AMAZING show by them with a band called "Awesome City Club" super cute singer and drummer, awesome songs and style. Got to meet them and sort of talk to them as best we could. Super nice people were really happy to know they had a foreigner fan after only hearing one set. Insta bought their cd and got it signed.... super happy haha.

CRmzLw1UEAITwSn.jpg

picture of the two bands at the show lol. Second band was super fun to sing along with, the guy in the underwear lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtEQWhhZMuE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RajV0aqK0C8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cP9HeZS37E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZZCTYu24is

Second/headlining band was called モーモーりりギャバン
Hecka fun show, tons of energy, main singer/drumer preforms in his underwear lol, chick playing synth/keyboard/Gong/electric guitar, and a bassest just going at it. So cool, funny and fun. At the end he threw his underwear into the crowd lol, well actually he acted like he was then threw it a tthe chick in the front row haha.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtaYIjnH6TA

.. just.... I can't believe this is my day 3, and the guy im replacing left after 2 weeks.

Aizo

Banned
Very, very cool. I'm envious.
We don't live super far from each other, but we also don't live super close. haha.
I moved recently, too—today, actually. I was living in Tokyo, then Izumo, Shimane, and then I was in Nagoya and Osaka for the past two weeks, and now I'm living in a pretty small city where no concerts will come through.

At least I saw Veltpunch two nights before I moved here...

Jintor

random youtube link following has led me to ゲスの極み乙女 (Gesu no Kiwami Otome) and I liiiiikeeee themmmmmm

gonna go on an album spree soon I think

Valkie Awesome City is pretty great! I'll listen to more.

Kurita

random youtube link following has led me to ゲスの極み乙女 (Gesu no Kiwami Otome) and I liiiiikeeee themmmmmm

gonna go on an album spree soon I think

Valkie Awesome City is pretty great! I'll listen to more.
I need to give you some recs my dear Jintor
Will do that tonight

Jintor

thanks kurita

god i wish i lived close enough to osaka/kyoto/nagoya i didn't need to find a place to stay the night if i go to a concert

Liking Kana Nishino's album artwork for the b-side collections, seems a cash grab considering the track-lists but eh.

4 new tracks:
- This Is Love
- Unzari
- No.1
- This Is How We Do It
(They aren't country styled praise the lord)

Can listen to all tracks here - http://secret-collection.com/

このままで >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

taopriest

WORLD ORDER ”THE NEXT PHASE”

I guess Genki Sudo's stepping back from the group didn't last long.

This is his last performance.

New Artist Photo

Official Statement:

Chaos has been taking place everywhere in the world now. I believe it is a sign to step into a next phase for the human race. It can be said that such phenomenon might be a positive reaction shifting toward from “Material civilization” to “Civilization with placing more importance on love and care”. I have created this artwork with such sentiment. I also eventually decided to appear in the music video of WORLD ORDER for the last time through this artwork due to moving to the next phase myself. I certainly would like to make a full expression in cooperation with the producers and other members from now on. And please continuously give your support to a new WORLD ORDER as always!

GENKI SUDO

Peru

Getting into the Perfume live footage.. oh my god they did they looking for boyfriend song again. How often do they put non-Nakata songs on the set list? Good to hear some good old singing, they've all got very nice live voices.

Top Bottom