• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

I remember the "BiS After All" documentary which gave me a difficult time. Someone from management harrassing the girls because the tour wasn´t going well, and Uika being restrained from attacking this management guy.

I did the timing for the english fansubs on that thing (and the Road to Budokan doc), which means I ended up watching the whole documentary about 5 times. the argument at the bar and the girls being yelled at in the van got like 10+ plays trying to line everything up. so, uh... yeah it was pretty uncomfortable. it was pretty interesting that they would just straight up publish something that calls out the members for only joining the group as a door to fame. for a group who was known for doing "edgy" things, that somehow strikes me as one of the most subversive things they ever did, since you don't very often see the curtains pulled back on the japanese entertainment biz.

poor Megumon though, that girl just wanted to be a BiS member. at least she's doing well in her new gig.

--

still waiting to hear what the hell BPM15Q's announcement is. Rina's busy posting swimsuit selfies in Hawaii...

Larsa

I love BiS but I think that "unconfortable" is BiS´ second name. I remember the "BiS After All" documentary which gave me a difficult time. Someone from management harrassing the girls because the tour wasn´t going well, and Uika being restrained from attacking this management guy. Or when the girls complain about the constant recording of everything they do, even when they did not know they were filmed. I do think that TenTen or Uipon were really looking forward to the disbandment.

I definitely agree, but the Cannonball documentary just felt like a step too far. I liked the BiS After All documentary even though it's also fucking hard to watch and very mean spirited at times. It at least gives good insight into the state of the group at the time and is emotionally riveting.
In Cannonball, the focus on the sleaziest possible dudes (the guy paired with Saki seemed kinda all right though) trying to score points in the "game" by touching the girls and trying (and failiing) to go further was just gross and ultimately boring. I really don't underestand what entertainment was expected to be gotten from watching a gross guy spend a whole night trying to get Tentenko's permission to jack off on a picture of her. Also Uika was fucking pissed that they pulled this shit during the time of their last concert, even Watanabe seemed kinda remorseful when confronted about it.

--

The new Izumi Makura album is pretty nice even though it's probably too similar to all her other releases. 日々にゆられて is one of my favorite tracks from her in a while and the hook have been stuck in my head the last few days.

Kurita

Oh god I managed to get a ticket to go see KANA-BOON
Legit shook. I'm at loss for words

Aaaaaaand I'm also seeing MONOEYES.
Jeeeeeeeeesus
FYq7M.gif%20

Larsa

fonz

Neo Member
I did the timing for the english fansubs on that thing (and the Road to Budokan doc), which means I ended up watching the whole documentary about 5 times. the argument at the bar and the girls being yelled at in the van got like 10+ plays trying to line everything up. so, uh... yeah it was pretty uncomfortable. it was pretty interesting that they would just straight up publish something that calls out the members for only joining the group as a door to fame. for a group who was known for doing "edgy" things, that somehow strikes me as one of the most subversive things they ever did, since you don't very often see the curtains pulled back on the japanese entertainment biz.

poor Megumon though, that girl just wanted to be a BiS member. at least she's doing well in her new gig.

This is very interesting because I knew about BiS with Stupig, but I fell in love with them with the Odd Future MVs. I loved the sense of intimacy generated by the footage, the feeling of real girls working their assess touring with almost no money (I remember Pour Lui saying they went to Hokkaido with no sleeping bags for winter), they cried, they got pissed, they got angry, they were bored and tired, they had to give away flyers to clearly not interested passers-by. I loved the way of showing this, without embellish things. But when the girls complain about the non-consented filming I felt almost like a voyeur, a little bit guilty, unconfortable. But on the other hand, this way of filming is what made Odd Future and BiS After All so interesting, as you say.

Also, I was always convinced some of the girls were in BiS as a step, Pour Lui started BiS as a step. It´s ok, in the idolworld things go very fast and the girls have to look for their future. The thing that made me twitch was that they were unnecessarily stressing the girls, and I suspect it was because they just wanted to provoke a reaction they could film. The scene is almost surreal, all that tension with those absurd costumes on. But yeah, it´s a very interesting doc about a group disintegrating. At the time I thought that disbanding was a wrong move, but I changed my mind watching this documentary.

By the way, thanks for the translations, founding english subs for BiS After All made me very happy.

This is a bit old but I love it; Kanamiru vs The Fat Guy (2:55):

おやすみホログラム「Machine song」20151209

Wulfric

Lol what, Shiina Ringo is on the record too? I might have to buy a second copy of the CD now, because lord knows we won't get another for like ten years and my CD's gonna wear out by then.

No Vacance (vacancy? vacation?) sounds like the full version of a 90s anime credits song. That's a good thing btw.

Aizo

Banned
The rhythm in the new Yonezu Kenshi song was... lame. I feel like his music has only become less interesting over the past year.

Kurita

New The Mirraz
https://youtu.be/ml143kl0Kkc
Very nice. I wonder if this'll be their last EDM release.

New plenty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhwdiUb4uyw
Really like the new direction they took since 2015

Cover and tracklist for My Hair is Bad's new full album
news_xlarge_myhairisbad_jkt201610_nomal.jpg

01. 告白
02. 接吻とフレンド
03. 音楽家になりたくて
04. グッバイ・マイマリー
05. 戦争を知らない大人たち
06. 恋人ができたんだ
07. mendo_931
08. ワーカーインザダークネス
09. 革命はいつも
10. 沈黙と陳列 幼少は永遠へ
11. 真赤
12. 卒業
13. また来年になっても

I have this drunken 4am twitcast that Real 3ku just did on in the background right now. Their live setup seems to be a case of making do with what they have but it's unique and it works. They also show up a few times as guests on the new Halmens. I don't think anyone posted the new album preview to that yet.

LTTP on this (maybe it already got mentioned?) but this brinq song/video is destroying me at the moment: baby baby (feat. minan of lyrical school)

I don't know if it was mentioned already but I like this song a lot too. The album that just came out is something I would probably buy if it was on OTOTOY, but it isn't so...

Yui from Maison Book Girl is apparently going to undergo throat surgery. their twitter says they're going to keep going without her for a while, but I don't know if that includes the canadian tour. apparently the tour organizer isn't replying to requests for updates yet

currently not feeling too bad about deciding not to take the trip.

I don't think anyone posted the new album preview to that yet.

sounds good. i like the guest list too.

Aizo

Banned
Sitting in Tokyo Dome for a sold out Babymetal show for free. They have a drone taking video footage. Is this common?

AdamT

Embarrassingly, I've never given Shiina Ringo a listen outside of maybe two videos. How's the last album? I thought about picking it up on iTunes.

Top Bottom