• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Zoe

That's pretty cool. I wonder how much of it is choreographed projection-/perspective-mapping versus actually tracking that floating camera and rendering those specific moments dynamically.

I don't think there was any projection, they were dancing on a huge screen.

Yeah, you can really tell in the solo shots. I meant "projection mapping" as the technique of faking perspective.

I feel like it wouldn't be difficult to do motion tracking for the camera and render the scene on the floor/wall screens based on that perspective. Since this is Perfume and this all happened in a closed environment, though, it could also be completely choreographed. My money is on both: camera and dancing are choreographed precisely, scene renders based on camera position for safety (and also because why not at that point, it's probably not that much more difficult if you can get telemetry for the camera).

tumblr_odqy41tFf51spqetho1_540.jpg

you're overthinking it. there's basically multiple semi-transparent screens (including the one they're standing on) that are being back-projected onto

you're overthinking it. there's basically multiple semi-transparent screens (including the one they're standing on) that are being back-projected onto

The screens we get, it's more how they rendered the images on the screens so that they seem to disappear. The images projected onto the floor and wall screens are skewed in such a way that from the camera's perspective, it all appears to be a single surface. Like here, the floor seems to drop out:

Basically, the video equivalent of these pieces of art:

It's an effect that specifically only works if you're viewing the piece from a single position in space; anywhere else and the illusion falls apart. The camera's moving the whole time, though, so the video for each screen have to be taking that into account.

Zoe

Unless they brought in all of their own equipment, they probably just had the cameras on a set track. Occam's razor and all.

Top Bottom