• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

Cover art for KANA-BOON's upcoming single, Fighter (March 1st)
tumblr_oikmkifrn41sb8ygmo1_400.jpg
tumblr_oikmkifrn41sb8ygmo2_400.jpg

One of the coupling tracks, 君を浮かべて, is used for a blood donation ad starring figure skater Hanyu Yuzuru.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQgo-Ab0c9U
Sounds like a sweet song.

----
Details about SHISHAMO's 4th album
news_header_shishamo_art201612.jpg

news_xlarge_shishamo_jkt201702.jpg

01. 好き好き!
02. すれちがいのデート
03. 恋に落ちる音が聞こえたら
04. 終わり
05. 恋
06. 音楽室は秘密基地
07. きっとあの漫画のせい
08. メトロ
09. 夏の恋人
10. 魔法のように
11. 明日も

faridmon

She Her Her Hers
Just teased the release date for their release. Can't wait all their demo tracks have been fantastic and dare I say, their best so far.

Kurita

Trailer for THE ORAL CIGARETTES's third album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGTfiDxdm3g&t=0s
Intriguing to say the least! Sounds like half the songs are relatively calm, which is surprising after FIXION and the singles they've released. Excited to listen to it, I guess it's gonna be quite different from their album released this year.

--
Dunno if there are fans in this thread but WHITE ASH are disbanding in March. Never got into them because of the vocalist, which is shame cause they sound great aside from that crucial point. Oh well.

--
Digging the cover art for The Mirraz's upcoming album. Tracklist has also been revealed.
news_xlarge_themirraz_jkt_bonappetit.jpg

01. ヴァーチャルリアリティワールド
02. 世の中クソ!
03. WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!
04. そして、愛してる
05. ペ・ル・ソ・ナ~邪魔しないでよ~
06. baby
07. Kiss Me Baby
08. 嗚呼。今思いつくのはそれだけだ。
09. B.o.Y.だったのさ
10. eYe
11. 夢見る少年は夢を見るなり
12. 年貢の納め時~僕から見た右は君の左~
Cool to see そして、愛してる included, it's such a great song. The album is said to be a continuation of their EDM sound while also featuring an "edgy band sound". Can't wait, they never disappoint regardless of what they do!

Wulfric

I'm just starting to get into PERFUME because of FLASH

what albums should i listen too

All of them tbqh... here's a few from each album.

Cosmic Explorer (Miracle Worker, Pick Me Up)
LEVEL3 (1mm, Spring of Life single mix)
JPN (VOICE, Natural ni Koishite)
Triangle (Dream Fighter, One Room Disco)
Game (Polyrhythm, Chocolate Disco)
Complete Best (Vitamin Drop, Linear Motor Girl)

I can't believe people hate Complete Best... it's so cheesy, it's actually good.

中田ヤスタカ 「Crazy Crazy (feat. Charli XCX & Kyary Pamyu Pamyu)」 Teaser movie
Really short preview, but I find really interesting that this is a Nakata song featuring KPP, instead of just a KPP song.

This triggered a whole bunch of catching up on recent Nakata developments, like the whole solo career thing and KPP Chapter 2 and whatnot. Also took me to fuckyeahystk.tumblr.com, which hilariously just reads like fuckystk now given all the shade the author(s) throw at him (and kind of rightfully so).

I also didn't realize the other A-side of that single had already dropped. I hope it's not indicative of Kyary's general musical direction, because it basically sounds like EDM-era Capsule with Kyary and some brighter synths on top.

Kansoku

So I had a opportunity to listen to ねごと's アシンメトリ e.p.
While I like all the songs, 天使か悪魔か and school out are sooooo much better than アシンメトリ and holy night. I wish they got on the album instead :(

Kurita

KEYTALK to release their 4th album, PARADISE, on March 15th!

Also, what are y'all favorite albums on the year? Posted mine on Tumblr a few days ago, might as well post the list here too
  • [Alexandros] - EXIST!
  • Ame No Parade (雨のパレード) - New Generation
  • androp - blue
  • ART-SCHOOL - Hello darkness, my dear friend
  • Awesome City Club - Awesome City Tracks 3
  • Bentham - ExP
  • BUMP OF CHICKEN - Butterflies
  • Cider Girl (サイダーガール) - Cinema Outsider (シネアアウトサイダー)
  • Cider Girl - Cinema Insider (シネマインサイダー)
  • cinema staff - eve
  • CreepHyp (クリープハイプ) - Sekaikan (世界観)
  • Czecho No Republic - DREAMS
  • Dramatic Alaska (ドラマチックアラスカ) - Alaska Berries (アラスカ・ベリーズ)
  • Dramatic Alaska (ドラマチックアラスカ) - Rock’n’Roll Dreamers (ロックンロールドリーマーズ)
  • Frederic (フレデリック) - Frederythm (フレデリズム)
  • Gesu no Kiwami Otome (ゲスの極み乙女。) - Ryouseibai (両成敗)
  • go!go!vanillas - Kameleon Lights
  • Good Morning America (グッドモーニングアメリカ) - Namarisora no Stargazer (鉛空のスターゲイザー)
  • the HIATUS - Hands of Gravity
  • Hitorie (ヒトリエ) - DEEPER
  • Hitorie (ヒトリエ) - IKI
  • indigo la End - Aiiro Music (藍色ミュージック)
  • KANA-BOON - Origin
  • Kankaku Piero (感覚ピエロ) - Fukanou Kanouka (不可能可能化)
  • Kinoko Teikoku (きのこ帝国) - Ai no Yukue (愛のゆくえ)
  • LILI LIMIT - a.k.a
  • MAN WITH A MISSION - The World’s On Fire
  • The Mirraz - Soshite, Aishiteru E.P. (そして、愛してる E.P.)
  • Mrs. GREEN APPLE - TWELVE
  • MY FIRST STORY - ANTITHESE
  • My Hair is Bad - woman’s
  • NICO Touches the Walls - Yuuki mo Ai mo nai nante (勇気も愛もないなんて)
  • Nothing’s Carved In Stone - Existence
  • THE ORAL CIGARETTES - FIXION
  • Perfume - COSMIC EXPLORER
  • RADWIMPS - Ningen Kaika (人間開花)
  • Rekishi (レキシ) - V Kishi (Vキシ)
  • SAKANAMON - HOT ATE
  • September Me (セプテンバーミー) - Zettaiteki Mirai Kitan (絶対的未来奇譚)
  • SHISHAMO - SHISHAMO 3
  • SiM - THE BEAUTiFUL PEOPLE
  • Straightener (ストレイテナー) - COLD DISC
  • sumika - Answer Parade (アンサーパレード)
  • Takahashi Yu (高橋優) - Kishikata Yukusue (来し方行く末)
  • UNISON SQUARE GARDEN - Dr. Izzy
  • Yabai T-shirt ya san (ヤバイTシャツ屋さん) - We love Tank-top
  • Yoru no Honki Dance (夜の本気ダンス) - DANCEABLE
  • 04 Limited Sazabys - eureka
  • 9mm Parabellum Bullet - Waltz on Life Line

Damn good year for music, and 2017 is gonna be amazing too! Tons of great stuff coming in January/February already. MONOEYES are also working on an album, hopefully Sakanaction release their album (lol), I guess SEKAI NO OWARI will drop their English album. Pretty sure WANIMA will release another full length as well.

So I had a opportunity to listen to ねごと's アシンメトリ e.p.
While I like all the songs, 天使か悪魔か and school out are sooooo much better than アシンメトリ and holy night. I wish they got on the album instead :(

I haven't listened to it a ton myself but my first impression was that all the songs kind of blurred together for me. Way different from "Z"OOM, where every song had a distinct feel and most of them were killer.

Also, what are y'all favorite albums on the year? Posted mine on Tumblr a few days ago, might as well post the list here too

Posted most of mine as part of my GAF AOTY post:

Yosa - Orion
brinq - Magical brinq Tour
chelmico - chelmico
MCpero - の一人遊び
Sunny Day Service - Dance to You
Charisma.com - 愛泥C
水曜日のカンパネラ - UMA
Especia - CARTA
Shiggy Jr. - ALL ABOUT POP

I'd add Tricot's KABUKU to the list (decided it was too short to bother including) and maybe Especia's Mirage (same reason plus I'm still not totally sold on the new direction). The chelmico and MCpero albums really snuck up on me, didn't even know they existed until a few weeks ago.

Strangely, two of the Japanese albums I discovered and listened to more than most of this year's crop were old: the first Vanilla Beans album and Taeko Ohnuki's Sunshower (which is like four decades old now).

removing non-japanese stuff from the list I posted elsewhere

Hijokaidan x Jun Togawa - TOGAWAKAIDAN LIVE!
Have a Nice Day! - The Manual (How to Sell my Shit)
Hauptharmonie - Herz Uber Kopf
BPM15Q - All Songs
VMO - CATASTROPHIC ANONYMOUS
Fujin Club - Fujin Color
Vampillia With Jun Togawa - Watashi ga Nakou Hototogisu
Iromegane - 37.2℃
yukueshirezutsurezure - Post-Catastrophe
Vampillia - My Heart Will Go On
Bellring Shoujo Heart - Beyond
Koutei Camera Girl Zwei - Night on Verse

there was a mountain of other albums I liked a lot this year but these were the ones that I ended up listening to and loving the most

Kansoku

Excellent:
Cö shu nie - パズル
downy - 第六作品集『無題』
Especia - CARTA
Homecomings - SALE OF BROKEN DREAMS
indigo la End - 藍色ミュジック
LITE - Cubic
THE NOVEMBERS - Hallelujah
Shiggy Jr. - ALL ABOUT POP
tricot - KABUKU EP
ゲスの極み乙女。- 両成敗
ヒトリエ - DEEPER
ヒトリエ - IKI
水曜日のカンパネラ - UMA
赤い公園 - 純情ランドセル
雨のパレード - New generation

Good:
The Florist - Blood Music
LAGITAGIDA - Visibility Good
SHISHAMO - SHISHAMO 3
té -『閾』
カラスは真っ白 - バックトゥザフューチャー
綿めぐみ - ブラインドマン

I am also checking some other stuff that came out this year, like For Tracy Hyde's Film Bleu, D.A.N.'s self titled, siraph's self titled, プルモライト's リインカーネイション, 絶景クジラ's 自撮り, ラブリーサマーちゃん's LSC, CICADA's Formula and world's end girlfriend's LAST WALTZ, and from a quick listen they all seem great.

llehuty

Just a reminder:

Perfume 6th Tour 2016 COSMIC EXPLORER Dome Edition was broadcasted
on WOWOW earlier today, so you know what that
probably means.

Some days ago, Nakata played Atmospheric Entry in a session
Unfortunately the quality is not very good, but it gives an idea of how the different parts are linked. I hope Nakate doesn't
keep the song to himself
It could be this era's Story if they add some vocals to the piano section.

Kurita

Countdown Japan was just amazing yesterday. If you ever have the chance to go to a big music festival in Japan just do it. Soooo many people but you never feel overwhelmed.

Here are the artists I saw :
-Rekishi
I got into him this year so I was excited to see him live! He's super funny and likeable, he did his collab song with Kyuso Nekokami. Great stuff.

-Kyuso Nekokami
Well, they also did the song with Rekishi lol, didn't mind hearing it twice.
Crowd was crazy, basically every song led to moshing lol They're definitely an amazing band to see live. One of the highlights of the day.

-Frederic
Took some time to get out of Earth Stage after Kyuso so when I arrived at Galaxy Stage they were already playing their first song. We could hear the song from outside so we started dancing and singing before being in the venue proper lol Needless to say people were staring hahaha
Anyways, a lot of fun, their songs are the catchiest jams out there.

-Blue Encount
My friend went to see Passepied so I stayed alone for Blue Encount. Great stuff, kinda expected a different setlist though. Oh well, still good. Last Hero and NEVER ENDING STORY are amazing live tunes.

-04 Limited Sazabys
Hands down the craziest set of the day. People were nuts, I fell twice while moshing cause it was just so intense, and I was right in the middle all the time haha (came back with a bloody sock, woops)

I wanted to stay for MY FIRST STORY but I was really tired so I just took a break until [Alexandros]

-[Alexandros]
Well, they're one of the best bands out there so obviously it was great. They played their new song, Snow Sound, beautiful track. They had a weird dancy arrangement for Run Away, it was surprisingly good! They trolled us by playing a very very short part of ワタリドリ, then proceeded to play Dracula La haha
Kawakami ended the set with a very short version of 12/26以降の年末ソング, we all lost our shit cause nobody expected that lol

-Arukara
It's Arukara so it was weird haha Super fun set, the vocalist's MC was hilarious, talking about seeing a movie with Kawakami from [Alexandros] and shit. Great setlist, and a great way to end the day! My friend, who is a huuuuge Arukara fan, took a picture with Japanese fans lol I guess they're not used to seeing an American dude dancing with them.

Anyways, it was my first festival ever and it was memorable. Saw all the bands I wanted to see, danced like a mad man from 12am to 7pm. Crowds were on point. Can't wait for the next festival! Guess I'll go to Metrock next.

Kurita

Nikkan Sports is reporting that Space Shower Music are not going to renew their contract with Gesu no Kiwami when it expires. It's probably based off the trouble Enon has caused.
http://www.nikkansports.com/entertainment/news/1759030.html
Heh, doubt it's a problem for them, I'm sure other agencies will pick them up. And if Warner still want them it's alright.
Or they can even go full indie. They're still super popular despite what happened.
Really hope Gesu and indigo la End will be back next year.

LayLa

I don't think it was posted in here before but NATURE DANGER GANG are going on hiatus (probably done for good) Jan 1st. the world is a worse place without them around :(

their MVs were very entertaining. weird group for me because I have no interest in listening to their music, but would go and see them live in a heartbeat.

-

those AKB group Kouhaku rankings in full, interesting to see who is popular with the general public (Lemon at no. 10!?!)

http://www.nhk.or.jp/kouhaku/topics/topic_161231.html

Slowdive

Banned
【LIVE MV】Lonely lonely Montreal / 校庭カメラガールツヴァイ

ゆるめるモ!(You'll Melt More!)『SWEET ESCAPE(LIQUIDROOM Live Version)』(Official Music Video)

My albums of the year:

Jun Togawa with Vampillia - Watashi ga Nakou Hototogisu
Hijokaidan x Jun Togawa - TOGAWAKAIDAN LIVE!
Seiko Oomori - TOKYO BLACK HOLE
Soutaiseiriron - Tensei Jingle
Bokutachi no iru tokoro.- Gomi
BPM15Q - All Songs
Iromegane - 37.2℃
Fujin Club - Fujin Color
Yukueshirezutsurezure - Post Catastrophe
Mizuki Ohira - TRUE ROMANCE
VMO - Catastrophic Anonymous
Koutei Camera Girl Zwei - Night on Verse

broz0rs

Kasumi Arimura with that Kouhaku MC gig. What a big deal that must be for her.

Ugh.. PPAP with an orchestral choir mashing Beethoven's 9th symphony. I wish I can remove that from my memory.

Edit: man, poor Hikki. That performance was way off

Top Bottom