• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

JEKKI

whooo~!!! another one of my favorite artists! released a new song!!

perhaps more ppl have heard of her... Nami Tamaki!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUFBu5eo1vc

I also have had the privilege of seeing her perform live as well! ^_^

she's been real great ever since she left Sony and has been able to make her own music,

but based on her last 2 songs I thought hew new album was going to be very genre focused, I guess not anymore...

Infinite

whooo~!!! another one of my favorite artists! released a new song!!

perhaps more ppl have heard of her... Nami Tamaki!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUFBu5eo1vc

I also have had the privilege of seeing her perform live as well! ^_^

she's been real great ever since she left Sony and has been able to make her own music,

but based on her last 2 songs I thought hew new album was going to be very genre focused, I guess not anymore...

I posted some of her stuff pages back. Fucking love her she made a pretty huge comeback in my eyes with her last 2 singles Lady Mind and Paradise which is like one of the best songs of last year.

With all that being said I'm very surprised at this new single. I kinda expected it to sound like the 2 previous singles but it does a 180 into pop rock. Not feeling it :/

Peru

MomoClo back to blow away the whole idol scene with one album alone

71440e4f-s.jpg

Infinite

MomoClo back to blow away the whole idol scene with one album alone

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/momoclomatome/imgs/7/1/71440e4f-s.jpg[/QUOTE]

orly? Well they have to top this brand new and amazing single and MV from [b]C-ute[/b] first: [url]http://youtu.be/2pjGkL-VoEc[/url]

faridmon

Her videos are crazy and I am glad she is still doing that. Dat Japanese craze!
I still abhor that typical squeeky (?)[I don't know the right word to describe it] J-pop vocals

My go to J-pop artist recently who right her own music as well as having a major influence in producing them.

tamurapan-201112-600.jpg

Tamurapan

I recently discovered her and I am absolutely loving her songs. She does remind me a lot of CureaL, who haven't been as active as they should.

Peru

Momoiro Clover Z - Neo STARGATE MV http://youtu.be/tiX22vnR-SU

The other 5Th Dimension track to get an MV soon is BIRTHØBIRTH

This song is raw as fkk, likely to weird out the general audience and idol fans specifically.. in other words, just another MomoClo single* that'll outsell their previous ones and make them bigger stars for some magical, glorious reason.

(*Don't actually know if it's a single. Maybe the b-side to BIRTHØBIRTH)

Larsa

New Sakanaction album is fucking amazing. When i listened to it last week on the stream I felt a little underwhelmed, but the second time around with proper sound quality everything clicked.

The album feels a little mellower than DocumentaLy. Heavier on the electronic and less focus on the guitar/rock sound. Early non-single favorites are M, Eiga and Boil.

Without a doubt my favorite band currently active in Japan.

I love it! Parts of it remind me of Radiohead maybe 10 or so years ago but I mean that in a good way! The song that translate to Morning Song (on a PC with no Japanese support) is my favourite.

Kurita

Not a bad album but I do think Documentaly was better. I find it too electronic.
Favorite non-singles songs : Aoi, ボイル and Mellow.

Infinite

Momoiro Clover Z - Neo STARGATE MV http://youtu.be/tiX22vnR-SU

The other 5Th Dimension track to get an MV soon is BIRTHØBIRTH

This song is raw as fkk, likely to weird out the general audience and idol fans specifically.. in other words, just another MomoClo single* that'll outsell their previous ones and make them bigger stars for some magical, glorious reason.

(*Don't actually know if it's a single. Maybe the b-side to BIRTHØBIRTH)

the idol game aint the same no mo'

Looks like Sakanaction are on their way to get their first Oricon number 1. 2nd day sales..
Singles:

01 Yamashita Tomohisa (Ke Sera Sera) - 47,614 + 21,234 = 68,848
02 Nogizaka46 (Kimi no Na wa Kibou) - 204,281 + 16,126 = 220,407
03 Kuwata Keisuke (Yin Yang / Namida wo Buttobase!! / Oishii Himitsu) - x + 13,643
04 SHINee (Fire) - 28,861 + x
05 e-girls (CANDY SMILE)
06 AAA (PARTY IT UP)
07 Arashi (Calling x Breathless) - 13,209 + 2x
08 SHU-I (Achakocha SORRY)
09 Berryz Koubou (Asian Celebration)
10 supercell (The Bravery)

Albums:

01 Sakanaction (sakanaction) - 34,579 + 16,447 = 51,026
02 AAA (Ballad Collection) - 8,347 + 6,869 = 15,216
03 Bon Jovi (What About Now) - 10,802 + 5,101 = 15,903
04 √5 (ROOT FIVE)
05 BREATHE (Lovers' Voices)
06 ONE OK ROCK (JINSEI x BOKU =) - 4,938 + 2x
07 Tohoshinki (TIME) - 4,579 + 2x
08 BIGMAMA (Kimi Omou, Yue ni Ware Ari)
09 150P (Shuen-Re:write)
10 David Bowie (The Next Day)

faridmon

The new Sakanaction Album is dope. I need to listen to it a lot more, but so far, it might top DocumentaLy which is a feat on iits own.

Also, anyone gave listen to the new OGRE YOU ASSHOLE remix album? I... Like it, especially the remix of FLAG.

Larsa

Yep, after listening to the new Sakanaction album a couple of million times I'm getting more and more convinced it's their best one.

XDDX

After a few listens I have to say I love the Sakanaction album. It's better than Documentaly imo. There are a lot of amazing songs. 'M' was a surprise, really loving that song!

kiryogi

Banned
So NEVEN isn't as jarring as Square One was . . . It's definitely a lot more approachable in comparison. It's like the bridging of Cosmicolor and Square One if you had to describe it.

faridmon

Mellow and the last song...love 'em! Their closing songs are always my favourite. I wish they would tour outside of Japan.

I actually think the last song is weakest imo. Its too ballad for me to which isn't hitting me. But Mellow is really the surprise of the bunch, starts slow and the build up is great.

jake71.jpg

OGRE+YOU+ASSHOLE+-+confidential.jpg

Confidential by OGRE YOU ASSHOLE is enjoyable. Whilst I am forcing myself to listen to as I didn't like Homely and 100 Nen go, this album is remixed of their indie output which was before their incredible change of style. So the reason for me grinding through this is because I love their previous output, and listening to them in a newly remixed fashion (more loungy and more Jazz added to it) is great. Reminds me a lot of The Horrors remix album, higher which took the Skying album and made it more psychedelic.

I wish their songs were a lot shorter though. I really dislike long songs that have nothing but fillers.

faridmon

I'll keep on listening to it, that is for sure. Hope its one of those albums that I appreciate the more I listen to. I have high hopes.
I am listening to it as am writing this

Bohoo remains to be an amazing song.

I actually think the last song is weakest imo. Its too ballad for me to which isn't hitting me. But Mellow is really the surprise of the bunch, starts slow and the build up is great.

I think their slower songs might be my fave, for example years is probably my favourite Sakanaction song.

- Yamaguchi says he chose to record the album at his apartment this time as in the studio, there’d be time limits, and extra people other than the band. He didn’t want it to feel like work, and to feel like it’s having fun after getting off school. He also wanted to make music using the speaker that he always listens to.

- He wants to convey both the “front” and “back” of the band properly with this album. Previously, like in the case of kikUUiki, there was only Aruku Around as a “front” song, so the balance is better this time. “Front” = the main single songs, songs with tie-ups (Music, Yoru no Odoriko, Aoi, Boku to Hana). The rest of the songs are the “Back”, which represents the music they really wanted to make as a band.

- Yamaguchi learnt about “the point of view from young people”. When he started doing tie-up songs, different types of users started tweeting him. From there he noticed users who tweeted him had purikura icons or had aliases like “Tohoshinki Love”. Sakanaction had reached even a group of people they didn’t target. These people said “Sakanaction is good”, which made Yamaguchi really happy. Now he’s a regular on the SCHOOL OF LOCK radio program that has many listeners in their teens, he managed to understand more specifically what kind of music teens listen to and what they react to.

- When he made the song (Moment) for SMAP, he actually tried singing it himself and thought, what an good song. But he also thought, it’s not a song that I myself want to sing, it’s embarrassing (**he means it’s embarrassing for someone like himself to sing this kind of song, not that it’s a disgrace of a song). He surprised even himself that he was able to think the song belonged to SMAP even though it was made by himself.

- “Structure” was made from a demo that he made before making “Music”. It was decided that they wanted the first song of the album to be an instrumental and he initially wanted to put “Structure” as that. However, he was told it was a bit weak to be the first song, and he agreed, so they made another instrumental ("INORI").

- Though the first half of the album is very emotional, the second half betrays that with a different kind of feel. It becomes fun to listen to and you can imagine it live.

- He would feel accomplished if by the time they put out a 10th album, the total sales of all releases including singles, DVDs and digital sales, reached 1 million. It would feel like they left some kind of mark on the music scene.

- No matter how many times they’ve appeared on TV, Yamaguchi still kind of dislikes it. Even though he doesn’t want to appear on TV, he sees the significance of it and he wants more people to know about them. And then from there, he wants to think together with the people what kinda of ways there are to listen to music.

- It was intentional that the first half of the album had the more dancey songs and then after “Eiga” it becomes ‘deeper’. “INORI” was actually made slightly faster as it had to flow nicely to “Music”. The first half of the album followed the BPM of “Music” and “Yoru no Odoriko” while the second half followed “Boku to Hana”. They were a bit lost as to where “Boku to Hana” should be put in the track order. Besides “intro”, “INORI”, “Music”, “Structure” and “Asa no Uta”, the rest of the track order was decided by the other members. Yamaguchi would have put “Boku to Hana” after “mellow” instead.

- Yamaguchi loves “Asa no Uta” as it had reduced the number of sounds like never before. Acoustic guitar was used, and Iwadera was just using a shaker (instrument).

- He wants to be able to dance along with his own music. It would be best if at the moment the music starts playing he could go “yay” and start dancing. He wanted to make this sort of music. But he is still unsatisfied and wants to do more, so he wants to immediately make the next piece of work.

- His next plan is to do afrobeat. He’ll fuse the techno feel at current together with afrobeat, and as usual using folk melodies.

- Interviewer asked what the representation of impulse of Yamaguchi Ichiro as an individual was. Yamaguchi replied, because his ears are already in its current state (**deaf in one ear), he wants to be able to directly convey his music. Such as through creating a music TV/radio program, a music TV/radio channel, or his own music label.

- He doesn’t have any intentions of, for example, making a protest song about people throwing bombs and left-wing movements. It is more interesting to him to think about the importance of music.

- Instead of making a balance of what he wants to do as an individual and what he wants to do with the band, he feels Sakanaction’s activities are “things you want to do as five people”, and the individual part is separate. He says “Endless” that was in “DocumentaLy” was overdone. It was solely his own feelings and thoughts in that song and apologizes for it becoming a Sakanaction song.

- Sakanaction will continue to make good things while betraying your expectations in a good way!

Source: http://asamazume.blogspot.no/

LOL Sakanaction and Tohoshinki are my probably my favourite active bands/groups in Japan so the bit about getting messages with that username made me smile.

Kurita

Heh, Endless is one of my favorite songs actually...

Thanks for this btw.
And yeah, I stand my ground, I really like DocumentaLy more than the new album.

Larsa

Yes, Endless is amazing. I saw some video about the making of DocumentaLy where Ichiro said it took 8 months to finish that song.

Top Bottom