• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

faridmon

I think their slower songs might be my fave, for example years is probably my favourite Sakanaction song.

I really liked the slower songs in DocementaLy the most, don't get me wrong and I do think that they can be pretty good creating a catchy yet a slower songs, but this album, IMO, seems to be the exception.

Sakanction > Documentaly. So damn good.!

I liked it but yeah I'm not in love with it.

Yeah, I am in this camp, I think. I was so damn hyped for the album so I don't know if I am let down by it or not.
Will listen to it more.

Kurita

Listened to Arashi's latest single, Calling x Breathless. Quite solid, I really liked the third song, オーライ!!.

They are a pretty likeable band.

gearseven

Neo Member
So I'm hearing that people like Supercar in this thread. Anyone else been listening to LAMA, whose lineup has not only half of Supercar, but also Tabuchi Hisako from Number Girl/toddle/bloodthirsty butchers? I've been finding Modanica, their second album that came out in December, to be pretty much amazing.

"White out"
"Namida no Umi"

Larsa

Yeah I listened to Modanica a few days ago and really liked it. Have been meaning to come back to it, but then the new Sakanaction album dropped and rocked my world. I think I'll listen to it again tomorrow and check out their other album.

Dead

well not really...yet
Modanica is definitely an incredible album, been in constant rotation for me since it came out. Insane improvement from the debut which was good, but a bit aimless and messy. Modanica feels like they figured out what direction they want to go in.

New Sakanaction is pretty good, need to hear it in full a few more times to form a final opinion but I definitely like it. One of the most standout songs for me is "M." I can't get enough of it.

That interview posted on the last page is pretty interesting. Does the band record the songs designed as commercial singles first and then go in and record the rest of the stuff later and figure out how to make an album out of all that material? Is this a common way of making records in Japan?

gearseven

Neo Member
I gotta agree that Modanica definitely comes across as a bit more focused and awesome than New!, but that reminds me that I haven't listened to that first one in quite a while to make sure.

I'll have to check out more Sakanaction, as I've only heard a couple songs.

faridmon

I am honestly enjoying the new OGRE YOU ASSHOLE album, which is a surprise. A shocking one, to boot, since I hated their new direction. Maybe, now that I got that groove going on, I should go back and try Homely again...

Thier main song for this Album ''Confidential'' : Flag (Altarnative ver.)

Check it out and see if you like it.

Vard

I am honestly enjoying the new OGRE YOU ASSHOLE album, which is a surprise. A shocking one, to boot, since I hated their new direction. Maybe, now that I got that groove going on, I should go back and try Homely again...

Thier main song for this Album ''Confidential'' : Flag (Altarnative ver.)

Check it out and see if you like it.
Not sure if you're aware but Confidential is actually just a rearrangement/remix album. So almost by default Homely won't be as good (since the source material for it is better than Homely). There was another new album after Homely too, which I enjoyed much more too.

Kurita

Not sure if you're aware but Confidential is actually just a rearrangement/remix album. So almost by default Homely won't be as good (since the source material for it is better than Homely). There was another new album after Homely too, which I enjoyed much more too.

I genuinely liked Homely. Sure it's different from their other stuff but I thought it was enjoyable.

faridmon

Yeah, I know that much (I made it clear in my previous posts :p) I am just saying that if I can get used to the new style with the old material, maybe that will get my expectation within a reasonable degree enough for me to enjoy Homely.
The album after that (100 nengo) was in the similiar vain of Homely, so I can see, IMO, how one would enjoy over the other unless the quality was upped exponentially.

Dead

well not really...yet
After a few more listens, I think I will agree that the new Sakanactionis better than Documentaly, but I think the best songs on that album trump the best ones on this one.

Vard

Yeah, I know that much (I made it clear in my previous posts :p) I am just saying that if I can get used to the new style with the old material, maybe that will get my expectation within a reasonable degree enough for me to enjoy Homely.
The album after that (100 nengo) was in the similiar vain of Homely, so I can see, IMO, how one would enjoy over the other unless the quality was upped exponentially.

I actually thought 100-nengo was quite a bit different than Homely, but maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. I like 100-nengo and consider it OYA becoming a bit more "laid back" since their early days. In comparison to Homely, which to me felt a bit out of left field with them suddenly getting "experimental" (if you want to call it that) with jazz elements and such. It just didn't work for me, and I'm glad I'm digging their new stuff since. Maybe they didn't think the Homely direction was working out either!

XDDX

The new Sakanaction album is at the top of the Oricon weekly charts and it sold more than Documentaly did in its first week too. Great to see them doing so well!

Still loving the album, can't stop listening to it.

Kisaya

Looks like @utadahikaru will still remain on hiatus, but will host a once-monthly 1 hr music program.

"KUMA POWER HOUR with Utada Hikaru" starts on Tuesday April 16 on InterFM at 22:00 Japan time.

God dammit, Utada still high on Kuma-CUNT. :'(

All right! It's now official!
Asian Kung-Fu Generation is coming to Europe!
London : May 31st
Paris : June 2nd
Cologne : June 3rd

http://www.bishi-bishi.com/en/pages/asian-kung-fu-generation

So hyped.

WOWWWWW, I'm SO jealous right now. They need to come to NYC ;A; Are they that big in Europe?

dat Sakanaction momentum
tumblr_mjyvk16Oim1qmabgno1_1280.png

Kurita

God dammit, Utada still high on Kuma-CUNT. :'(

WOWWWWW, I'm SO jealous right now. They need to come to NYC ;A; Are they that big in Europe?
I think it's safe to say they're one of the most famous Japanese bands thanks to their anime openings.

New Perfume single Magic of Love

BGQ5PJq.jpg

This new single is being described as a song that describes a “life sized girl that is lightly dreaming of the beginning of an ideal love, complete with a sweet and warm melody”. It has been slated for an early summer release.

Furthermore, Perfume will be starring in a new CM by Kanro advertising their “Pure Gummy” range of confectionaries, and it will also feature the new single! This CM will be aired on March 27. A mobile phone version of this new single will be made available on Recohoku and Amuse Mobile on April 1.

Album can't be too far behind, right?

Kurita

JPN came out in 2011, I think it's safe to say that a new album will be released this year.

Unrelated, I've been addicted to Arashi (and Kanjani8 to a lesser extent) lately. Some pretty dope songs on their latest album Popcorn like Face Down.
Gotta love their solos too, like T.A.B.O.O by Sho Sakurai, Gimmick Game by Kazunari Ninomiya...

New Perfume single Magic of Love

BGQ5PJq.jpg

This new single is being described as a song that describes a “life sized girl that is lightly dreaming of the beginning of an ideal love, complete with a sweet and warm melody”. It has been slated for an early summer release.

Furthermore, Perfume will be starring in a new CM by Kanro advertising their “Pure Gummy” range of confectionaries, and it will also feature the new single! This CM will be aired on March 27. A mobile phone version of this new single will be made available on Recohoku and Amuse Mobile on April 1.

Album can't be too far behind, right?

that would be their 4th single so new album around November/ December( just guessing)

oh my godddddd

I guess now would be the time to sign up for PTA global... PTA members are supposed to be able to purchase tickets in advance before they're available to the public, or am I wrong on that?

how much is it? not seeing a fee on their site. Also if are palnning a full US tour and they come near me ill will definitely go.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
how much is it? not seeing a fee on their site. Also if are palnning a full US tour and they come near me ill will definitely go.

1200 yen or about $12.50 US for a year's membership.

Just checked the terms on their site. Unfortunately, even on the WORLD fanclub all they have to offer is Google machine translation of the Japanese.

http://pta-world.com/term/

※2The availability of ticket pre-sales depends on individual performances. Please be aware that WORLD FANCLUB members may not be eligible for pre-sales for all performances. If pre-sales are available, ticket sales will be opened to P.T.A. members first, before being opened to WORLD FANCLUB members.

So it's basically a gamble... still, 12 bucks isn't that much to me for even just the chance of scoring tickets early. I might sign up.

Utada Hikaru's Distance was released 12 years ago today and is till the fastest selling album of all time worldwide (3.2 million in one week), get it! A BEST by Ayumi Hamasaki released on the same day is also still the 2nd fastest selling album (3.1m in one week) of all time.
qXIWjPd.png

(not my picture but listening to both this week)

BluWacky

I picked up Shugo Tokumaru's new cd a couple of weeks ago, it's great! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZmJxkna6Ic

My favourite is definitely Katachi, but it's a lovely album overall. Love the change of pace on Balloon - nice to hear him dial back the quirky instruments to something so bare and simple.

Also, whoever it was that was talking about Sakanaction recently - THANK YOU. I have had Bach no Senritsu on repeat for the past 48 hours. What an ace band!

Kurita

Can't wait for the telephones new album :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLisaEMZsag

Same goes for NICO Touches the Walls :
http://jpopsuki.tv/video/NICO-Touches-the-Walls---Chain-Reaction/7678ee0b1f5f6d07e4ab721beecb38a1
http://jpopsuki.tv/video/NICO-Touches-the-Walls---Mr-ECHO/423fd8e8d0e8485a2ff842a27cb5d3da

And ORANGE RANGE's new single is promising, they dropped the electro-ish style of NEO POP STANDARD and are back to their rock/hip-hop music :
http://jpopsuki.tv/video/ORANGE-RANGE---Oboro-na-Ageha/31c3182ae576ad91697a93fe42c8b8e3

So good.

JEKKI

aw mans... I just found out one of my old favorite groups just broke up, Move:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ZeOYAzXz4

they're one of the few groups I've had the prvilage to being able to follow since their beginning.

on one hand, real sad to see them go.

on the other hand, they're music's been crap for like the later half of their career lol.

shoulda broken up when T-Kimura left,

if not earlier so they would never have had to release Boulder.

that said my only regret is I did not get the chance to see them perform live.

they came to america one time and I did not know about it until after it happened TT_TT

woulda totally gone had I known.

anyways... I'm going to Japan this week!!!

any advice a fellow music appreciator would give to me?

seeing sights, eating food, that's the easy part but I also wanna dance and see a show!!

JEKKI

Utada Hikaru's Distance was released 12 years ago today and is till the fastest selling album of all time worldwide (3.2 million in one week), get it! A BEST by Ayumi Hamasaki released on the same day is also still the 2nd fastest selling album (3.1m in one week) of all time.
qXIWjPd.png

(not my picture but listening to both this week)
ahh I didnt see this!

Distance used to be my favorite jpop album ever!!

For You is just way too good off it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ngVxyoVTxU

it was my favorite album, until 2008 when it was dethroned by Emi Hinouchi - Me...

best jpop album ever!!!

A Best is real good too, but it's missing my 2 favorite songs from Ayu's early work:

Monochrome and Immature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glZjPOvl5NY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2--t3ESKwhQ

I have seen Utada live in concert already, would love to see Ayu and Emi live one day!!

faridmon

goddam the new Dir en Grey ep is trash

They have been trash for a while, so I am not surprised. I still maintain that they haven't topped Vulgar.

The new Sakanction Album is my Album of the year so far. It might end up being my Album of the Year afterall. SOOO GOOD!

Oh damn, the new Diru is out? Is this the one with the new versions of earlier stuff like The Final? I'm actually scared to listen, they've butchered all of their earlier stuff every time they've redone it. Their new direction in the last couple of albums is just all over the place, I find it really hard to enjoy it.

Larsa

The new Sakanction Album is my Album of the year so far. It might end up being my Album of the Year afterall. SOOO GOOD!
Mhmmmm, same here.

I'm really looking forward to the new Rin Toshite Shigure/Ling Tosite Sigure/whatever album in a few days. Been listening to them a whole lot lately.
I found the vocals really grating at first, but one day they suddenly clicked and now they seem perfect for the music. Three really amazing musicians in that band. Any fans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4tA1I0e3PE Here's an older song.

Mhmmmm, same here.

I'm really looking forward to the new Rin Toshite Shigure/Ling Tosite Sigure/whatever album in a few days. Been listening to them a whole lot lately.
I found the vocals really grating at first, but one day they suddenly clicked and now they seem perfect for the music. Three really amazing musicians in that band. Any fans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4tA1I0e3PE Here's an older song.

I am a fan! I've not listened to them for a long time, and I love how they're about to release a new album! haha
Yeah, I remember a few years back I got into them and had my friend listen and she hated it because of the vocals, but they're really good IMO. They've got a really specific sound and style which really works for me.

Ok, new Diru EP

Unraveling - Meandering and boring, like something from their last album, meh. It just feels all over the place.
Karma - I honestly don't even recognise this one :lol It sounds nothing like whatever it used to be, I know that much. It's basically Kyo's noises with a slight semblance of a song in there, really bad.
Kasumi - I was scared putting this track on, the original is stunning. It feels a bit over-produced, which sucks the life out of it, but it's not bad. Why do they insist on layering Kyo's vocals? It bloats the delivery. Original is much better.
Karasu - It's okay, but Kyo insists on singing in that pained/lethargic manner which brings it down, and then there's the wailing through a tube bits - the original was sexy and then punctuated with blasts of noise which really brought it to life.
Bottom of the Death Valley - Again, it's like they've taken the bite out of it, and put a melancholy twist on it. The original was fucking ANGRY, but when Kyo screams these days it just sounds empty. It used to be this slow build up and then explosion, but this version is boring.
Unknown.Despair.Lost - This was originally a track off of their first ever single, this version sounds nothing like it. I didn't care for the original, and this is worse than that.
The Final - It's lost all of its kick, the chorus is sung in a lower key and that makes me sad :( This song was amazing when I saw them play it live, it was electric, this is just eh.

Yeah, Dir en grey have lost it. Everything they do is just like one big wall of lethargic noise that's hard to distinguish between each track. If you want to listen to them at their best, stick with anything between Gauze and The Marrow of a Bone - all of those albums have a tonne of variety and creativity.

xxczx

i dont really follow j-music anymore but has there been any capsule news this year?

i noticed we're due another album, unless ystk has ditched for kyary and perfume :(

i dont really follow j-music anymore but has there been any capsule news this year?

i noticed we're due another album, unless ystk has ditched for kyary and perfume :(

They just released two new BEST albums a few weeks back.

I'm okay with waiting a bit longer, STEREO WORXXX was a bit weak IMO so they should take extra time to create something really special, maybe if we hear about a new album towards the end of the summer will be good :)

faridmon

any advice a fellow music appreciator would give to me?

seeing sights, eating food, that's the easy part but I also wanna dance and see a show!!

There is a COLD KITCHEN gig on the 27th I think, also gigs for Monica Uranglass, She Her Her Hers and Sakanction

Put me in the camp for loving the new Sakanaction album!
I feel like DocumentaLy has more 'stronger' tracks (Identity, Rookie, Bach no Senritsu and Endless, god I fucking love Endless) but it also has more weaker tracks, it's a pretty up and down album and the overall sound isn't too cohesive - with the new album I feel like they've developed a better identity with the music.
Aoi is my favourite track off the album, it's just awesome.

Peru

The first MomoClo album, Battle & Romance, sold 9k on its first day. On the first day of the relase of their second album, Battle & Romance sells 17k! And 5th Dimension, of course, a nice 100k on its first Oricon Daily.

BHe9YdACMAAlw-v.jpg

Needless to say the album is good.

Kurita

Oh boy, Takeshi Hosomi doing an acoustic version of Niji and Make A Wish, songs from his old band Ellegarden.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jkCrA-iw1s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrYvx8dFrT4
I had goosebumps <3 <3 <3

Also, looking forward to THE STARBEMS first single, Toru Hidaka (BEAT CRUSADERS)'s new band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4NjTp_EMM8&list=LL_x5QmMX_hp-4qofmF8j3ZA

Yeah... that's Toru Hidaka for you, sounds like BEAT CRUSADERS, I'm not complaining though.
And I can't wait for NICO Touches the Walls's new album... And the telephones's one. God, so many releases...

Oh, also forgot to mention delofamilia. It's the side project of NAOTO from ORANGE RANGE.
The vocalist of this project is Rie Fu (guess most people know her). It's pretty good, obviously really different from his ORANGE RANGE stuff, more experimental/post-rockish... Their latest album is solid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoF2UQz8TEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPxMZOjxjbI

Top Bottom