• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Aizo

Banned
141452.th.jpg

Has anyone listened to the new Soil & "Pimp" Sessions album?
It's got collaborations with Shīna Ringo, Rhymester, Miyavi, and Bonnie Pink!!
Here's the song with Ringo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOtO_TxQ6iM

Kurita

I realise that more than half of the year has already passed. So tell me, what are your... 10 to 15 favorite albums of the year so far?
You don't have to rank them, this way I guess it's easier to make a list. You can post a link to a song if you want (and if you can find one).

My choices :
ONE OK ROCK - Jinsei x Kimi =
They managed to exceed all my expectations.
I didn't think it could be better than the previous album, and yet I was just blown away... Easily my album of the year.

Nothing's Carved In Stone - Revolt (no videos available, thanks Sony!)
It's a bit different than Silver Sun, their previous album. I don't know if I like it more but still, it's so good.
One of the few bands that just can't produce one bad song.

Sakanaction - Sakanaction
I admit that I was less impressed by this album than by DocumentaLy but I'd lie if I said that I didn't enjoy it.
That's Sakanaction for you I guess.

Takahashi Yu - Break My Silence
Without a doubt the best artist I discovered this year.
I'm more of a "band" guy but man, Takahashi sure is excellent and managed to conquer my heart and my ears.

The Flickers - A Piece of The World
The first full album of this young band was one of my most anticipated releases of the year and they delivered.
Everybody should give them a try.

9mm Parabellum Bullet - Dawning
9mm Parabellum 101. If you don't like them well, this album won't change your mind.
If you're already a fan though, it's a pleasure.

[Champagne] - Me Do No Karate
I don't know how they managed to release an album better than the previous one. Just like ONE OK ROCK I was really impressed.
In my opinion the hottest and best indie band right now.

CreepHyp - Fukikoboreru Hodo no, Ai, Ai
Already talked about it in this thread. It's catchy, it's fun. You just listen to the album and dance.
Their best album so far.

Keytalk - One Shot Wonder
First full album of this promising band that I've been following for a few years now.
Cool melodies, a nice duo of vocalists. Perfect to dance and have fun, ala CreepHyp.

illion - UBU
What happens when the leader of one of the most famous Japanese rock bands goes solo? A really good surprise.
Didn't expect to like it since I'm a fan of Radwimps, and yet I'm totally convinced.

Maximum The Hormone - Yoshu Fukushu
It's Maximum The Hormone, 'nuff said.
We've been waiting for so long, and they filled that big void. You'll have a blast listening to this new album.

the telephones - Laugh,Cry,Sing... And Dance!!!
Not as good Rock Kingdom released in 2011 but still, you can't say no to the telephones.
Another album that'll make you sing along... and dance!

NICO Touches the Walls - Shout to the Walls (no videos available, thanks Sony!)²
Another great surprise. Don't expect something revolutionary or super original. Just like 9mm Parabellum Bullet it won't change your opinion on the band.
Still, lots of catchy songs, an ever top-notch vocalist... Good stuff.

Hoshino Gen - Stranger
This is my Takahashi Yu number 2 of the year. Another solo artist I didn't know before that secured a soft spot in my heart.
The album is a bit slow, but relaxing as hell.

BIGMAMA - Kimi Omou, Yue ni Ware Ari
In my opinion, it's on par with their 2012 album, which was already really solid.
I'll never get tired of their "rock + violin" style.

Infinite

I liked The Flickers' - a piece of the world as well. Pretty solid through and through and quite refreshing somewhat considering Jrock for me has been stagnating.

My favorite stuff Japanese music wise this year so far is

May.e - Mattiola
Soutaiseiriron - Town Age
Her Ghost Friend - Never ending Story
Slow Beach - Lover Lover
Towa Tei - Lucky
Jesse Ruins - A Film
tofubeats - lost decade
ZZZ’s - Magnetica
Annie the Clumsy - Annie the Clumsy Vol 1
Jesse Ruins - A Film
Head on the Sofa - Live with Her Ghost

Pretty much mostly Jindie stuff. I know Cuushe's album is going to be joining this list once it's out and Crypt City's once I hear that.

Larsa

Okay, albums I liked a lot so far this year (oh god it's already August). Somewhat ranked.

Sakanaction - Sakanaction
Hell yes.

Rin Toshite Shigure - i'mperfect
More straightforward then their last release, still a Sigure virigin, but still fucking awesome.

Wakusei Abnormal - Nandemonai Kyouki
Technically a mini-album, but it's so good. Hints of Midori and Shiina Ringo. They are releasing a new mini-album in October and I can't wait.

Soutaiseiriron - Town Age
I love Yakushimaru Etsuko's voice. Very similar to their previous albums, but probably their best yet.

Yakushimaru Etsuko - RADIO ONSEN EUTOPIA
Again, I love Yakushimaru Etsuko's voice.

Kinoko Teikoku - Eureka
Shoegaze goodness.

Aizo

Banned
In no particular order
Haruka to Miyuki - Mayonaka no Kotoba wa Aoi Doku ni Nari, Niburu Sekai ni Hiyari to Sasaru
I'm in love with her voice... It's so raw and badass.
Wakusei Abnormal - Nandemonai Kyoki
The whole album is pretty interesting sounding.
Kinoko Teikoku - Eureka
Mmmmmm. My ears.
Bigmama - Kimi Omou, Yue ni Ware Ari
I love Bigmama. One of my favorite Japanese Indie bands, so no doubt they get a spot.
[Champagne] - Me No Do Karate.
So damn catchy and interesting. They integrated some very cool production techniques.
Galneryus - The Ironhearted Flag Vol.1 Regeneration Side
Covers of some of my favorite Galneryus songs with the new, superior singer. Awesome. (I linked a song from their previous album because they don't have MVs for their new album.)
Gesu no Kiwami Otome. - Dress no Nugikata
Fantastic new band. I'm really diggin' what they're doing. (Thanks, Kurita. Hahaha. It actually took me a while before I noticed.)

Most of the Hip-Hop, Metal, and Electronic albums I've been listening to weren't released this year. I feel like I'm forgetting a lot, so I'll update this later.

Kurita

To each his own I guess, 2013 has been amazing so far for me, maybe even more than 2012.
And there are still a lot a great releases coming.

faridmon

That 3 Split Album by Lillies and Remains, Purple and Sekaitekinaband alone blows everything out this year. In Addition to that BIGAMAM's album was flipping amazing as well as the new albums by Holidays of Seventeen , Ningen OK and MIchi alone top this year. and there are others.

And I am not seeing anything remotely interesting that is coming out later this year.

Keep in mind I am just talking about Japanese music. Western indie music have been fantastic this year. Perhaps the best year ever!

Kurita

New Perfume, Arashi, KANA-BOON, Straightener, Soredemo Sekai ga Tsuzukunara, THE NAMPA BOYS, Tesla Doesn't Know How to Cry, the pillows, Radwimps... I'm sure there a lot of great stuff still unannounced that's coming, too.
But yeah, if you don't like these artists...

faridmon

Well, I just hope there might be one or two that surprises me by the end of the year.

If the rumours are true, then a new RADWIMPS album might drop this year so yeah, I am looking forward to that. Loved the latest one.

Infinite

And I am not seeing anything remotely interesting that is coming out later this year.

Keep in mind I am just talking about Japanese music. Western indie music have been fantastic this year. Perhaps the best year ever!

Well there's been a ton of interesting indie music to come out this year from Japan and my post has is comprised mostly of them. You should check them out.

There's been some disappointments though like with Caucus and She her her hers but also some surprises like with the flickers. But as a whole the stuff from last year blows the commercial stuff from this year out of the water. I was listening to a bunch of hold overs from last year a bunch this year.

I think the out of potential new releases for this year I'm definitely excited for the following:

Cuushe - Butterfly Case
When you make a pretty impressive EP last year and drop a single that sounds and accompanying MV that looks like this you most certainly have my attention. Release is imminent, September 13.

Hyacca
A new album from the Fukuoka based post punk band seems in the cards. Their last album came out in 09 and they have been dropping new material this year. I'm starving for a new album from them hopefully I'll get one before years end.

Miu Mau
One of the surprises I discovered late last year that I only now just began exploring this year. Their EP album News ended up being one of my favorite releases in a while. They are recording new material this year and it's said to have a 60s pop influenced sound instead of the new wave influenced sound News had. Color me interested. If you haven't heard by now check this out and their soundcloud.

Randes Vouz
Discovered this band from a blog I follow and instantly fell in love. I don't know much about them except that they're pretty new, recorded 3 songs and uploaded them to a bandcamp, and they routinely play in shows. I really like their sound and look forward to anything they put out this year or not. Here's that bandcamp page​

Kurita

Anyone heat the new Androp single yet?
Yes, it already leaked. Love it.
Voice is fantastic... I'm going to order their upcoming live DVD, I loved one and zero so much, can't wait to hear the songs live (especially Boohoo, Plug in Head and Party).
Also need Man With A Mission's live DVD at the Budokan, Soredemo Sekai ga Tsuzukunara's major debut album (and their previous indie album), Straightener's new mini-album... So much stuff coming!
Basically, the new releases I need are these :
August : Androp and Man With A Mission's DVDs
September : Soredemo Sekai ga Tsuzukunara's album, Straightener's mini-album, Thee Michelle Gun Elephant's DVD featuring their last concert 10 years ago.
October : CreepHyp and ONE OK ROCK's DVDs, Perfume and KANA-BOON's albums.

And there is some older stuff I want like Straightener's best-of featuring their 10th anniversary live at the Budokan, Ajikan's latest live DVD, Nothing's Carved In Stone's latest DVD...

iavi

I like a lot of the albums you posted about, but didn't recognize this band. Not my kind of music because I am not a proponent of autotune, but I like the masochistic guy at the end.

They sound like an early Girugamesh with a europop bent. Exactly my cup of tea.

So, AKB48's new single sold 1m in its first day. It's the best debut for a non-election single from them. That's not too surprising as it seems to be their first crossover single since Heavy Rotation. A song that's able to reach outside of their usual install base. They hit on two easy points to pull that off since it's catchy and has a simple dance to go along with it.

Anyway, they're now only two away from the record B'z holds for most consecutive million seller singles. It's basically a lock now that they're going to beat it.

faridmon

I like a lot of the albums you posted about, but didn't recognize this band. Not my kind of music because I am not a proponent of autotune, but I like the masochistic guy at the end.

Yeah, its quite funny. The whole video is entertaining.

They don't really on Autotune by the way. That is the only song in the album in which they utilise autotune. They are hardcore/Punk band, and that album is really good if you don't mind that.

They sound like an early Girugamesh with a europop bent. Exactly my cup of tea.

I really don't think Girugamesh and this band has any similiarity, but go for it :)

faridmon

Well there's been a ton of interesting indie music to come out this year from Japan and my post has is comprised mostly of them. You should check them out.

There's been some disappointments though like with Caucus and She her her hers but also some surprises like with the flickers. But as a whole the stuff from last year blows the commercial stuff from this year out of the water. I was listening to a bunch of hold overs from last year a bunch this year.

I think the out of potential new releases for this year I'm definitely excited for the following:

Cuushe - Butterfly Case
When you make a pretty impressive EP last year and drop a single that sounds and accompanying MV that looks like this you most certainly have my attention. Release is imminent, September 13.

Hyacca
A new album from the Fukuoka based post punk band seems in the cards. Their last album came out in 09 and they have been dropping new material this year. I'm starving for a new album from them hopefully I'll get one before years end.

Miu Mau
One of the surprises I discovered late last year that I only now just began exploring this year. Their EP album News ended up being one of my favorite releases in a while. They are recording new material this year and it's said to have a 60s pop influenced sound instead of the new wave influenced sound News had. Color me interested. If you haven't heard by now check this out and their soundcloud.

Randes Vouz
Discovered this band from a blog I follow and instantly fell in love. I don't know much about them except that they're pretty new, recorded 3 songs and uploaded them to a bandcamp, and they routinely play in shows. I really like their sound and look forward to anything they put out this year or not. Here's that bandcamp page​

Those sound good. I have listened to Hyacca before on Tokyo Style album compilation
(have you listen to it?) and they didn't leave with good impression, but I will check them out again if their new record is any good.

Infinite

Those sound good. I have listened to Hyacca before on Tokyo Style album compilation
(have you listen to it?) and they didn't leave with good impression, but I will check them out again if their new record is any good.

I haven't heard their material on the Tokyo Style album collection but their album Hananzo is one of m favs.

faridmon

I haven't heard their material on the Tokyo Style album collection but their album Hananzo is one of m favs.

Oh, man. You should. The line-up includes Lillies and Remains, Sekaitekinaband, Purple, Bo NIngen, PLASTICZOOMZ, Hotel Mexico amongst others and its a bloody amazing collectoin.

Peru

So, AKB48's new single sold 1m in its first day. It's the best debut for a non-election single from them. That's not too surprising as it seems to be their first crossover single since Heavy Rotation. A song that's able to reach outside of their usual install base. They hit on two easy points to pull that off since it's catchy and has a simple dance to go along with it.

Anyway, they're now only two away from the record B'z holds for most consecutive million seller singles. It's basically a lock now that they're going to beat it.

I think that's good, just because Sashihara heads it. Always shook my head at their humongous sales but she's a good example and well the retro disco idol pop thing works well with the whole dance mob thing.

Aizo

Banned
soulkids' new mini-album releasing soon. Not really special, but it's fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQ5gq5Ohd4

I didn't know Japan had this kind of Hip-Hop... This is not a good discovery for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGowI2ez4lE

Why don't we ever talk about Enka? Does nobody listen to it? I'd be interested to see some Enka recommendations. It makes me want to go into a dark bar and drink scotch all night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbap-SE1ToM

I saved the best for last. Arukara's new PV is pretty well produced. I'm diggin' the texture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiu9m5hRaGM#t=41
Their next album, Munimuni no Ki, comes out on September 4th.

Kurita

It's been a while since Soulkids released something, cool to see some new stuff.
And I can't wait for Arukara's new album, they are amazing. Loved their latest release.

Aizo

Banned
I finally got the Jupiter - Blessing of the Future Single.
140110.th.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUUuP0ZFXRY
I feel bad for missing it. It's totally awesome. I'm not worried about this band's future at all without Kamijo because Zin is an excellent singer.

I imagine there aren't many Visual Kei fans in here, but oh well.

faridmon

I saved the best for last. Arukara's new PV is pretty well produced. I'm diggin' the texture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiu9m5hRaGM#t=41
Their next album, Munimuni no Ki, comes out on September 4th.

Arukara have grown up since they first started. They had a very emo feel to them and their music lacked cohesion and purpose and opted to be a very bad prog band. The vocals, I thought, was bad as well. But now they have found their footing and I am more or less interested in their new album.

faridmon

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, my friend decided to pick me up the latest BYEE the ROUND album and now I have all their releases. The first band I have collected all their albums and mini-albums.

Can't wait until I get my hands on it. SOON!

On another note, PLASTOCZOOMS is releasing their third album in October while RADWIMPS is releasing a single on that month as well. Dry as Dust is releasing an EP next month and suddenly I am excited for the rest of the year. Siamese Cats and Turntable Films are doing split EP and the best part of it is; its free. Its dropping in 2 days time.

Does anyone know if Inspire;tion is still active?

ChryZ

Perfume's LEVEL3 album got detailed:

Limited

VsRlgcz.jpg

【初回限定盤】(CD+DVD) UPCP-9005 ¥3,900 (tax in)
3パターン・カラーケース(クリア、蛍光ピンク、蛍光イエロー)
※写真はクリアのケースになります。

Regular

5FzkP8V.jpg

NEW ALBUM『LEVEL3』リリース決定!!
【通常盤】(CD) UPCP-1001 ¥3,059 (tax in)

【収録曲】
<CD>
01. Enter the Sphere
02. Spring of Life (Album-mix)
03. Magic of Love (Album-mix)
04. Clockwork
05. 1mm
06. 未来のミュージアム
07. Party Maker
08. ふりかえるといるよ
09. ポイント
10. だいじょばない
11. Handy Man
12. Sleeping Beauty
13. Spending all my time (Album-mix)
14. Dream Land
※(Album‐mix)はアルバム用にアレンジされたVer.になります。

【Spring of Life】【ポイント】「キリン 氷結」2012年CMソング
【Magic of Love】カンロ「ピュレグミ」CMソング、日本テレビ系「スッキリ!!」5月テーマソング
【未来のミュージアム】「映画ドラえもん のび太のひみつ道具博物館 (ミュージアム)」主題歌
【Party Maker】エーザイ「チョコラBBスパークリング」CMソング

<DVD>
・1mm -Video Clip-
・「ずっと好きだったんじゃけぇ~さすらいの麺カタPerfume FES!!」メモリアル♡
・「Perfumeのただただラジオが好きだからレイディオ!」

【初回限定盤は、スペシャルパッケージ仕様!】
3パターンのカラーケース!(クリア、蛍光ピンク、蛍光イエロー)
※カラーケースの色が異なるだけで、ジャケット絵柄含めその他の仕様はすべて共通です。
※店頭・WEBに関わらず、ご予約時にはカラーケースの色指定は出来ませんのでご了承ください。
※その他の詳細は、随時Perfume オフィシャルサイトでお知らせいたします。

【配信情報】
■「1mm」着うた(R)レコチョク、アミュモバ☆DX、他にて8/27 (火) から先行配信スタート!!
■「Party Maker (CM ver.)」着うた(R)レコチョク、アミュモバ☆DX、他にて配信中!!

http://www.perfume-web.jp/news/individual.php?id=77

Kurita

On one hand I'm happy that the B-sides are included. On the other hand, there aren't that many new songs.
Oh well, at least we know that the album will be great!
And I love the regular edition cover, though why doesn't Kashiyuka have her usual hairstyle on it... :(

Gotta preorder this and ONE OK ROCK's DVD for October.

Kurita

Oh yeah I wasn't expecting more, but my point still stands :p
Though I'm looking forward to the album mixes. The album version of Laser Beam was better than the original imo.

ChryZ

Can't wait to hear the new songs. Too bad that Hurly Burly didn't make the cut, but I can see how Handy Man is probably more popular.

EDIT: I also hoped for the 'Spending all my time' extended version from Cannes/WT2nd. They really need to release that tune in some form.

Top Bottom