• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Aizo

Banned
Did anyone else watch the new Maximum the Hormone music video? I thought the best part, musically, was the last minute and a half. I enjoyed the manga part of the MV a lot. I think if MTH had a manga, the art would be done by Junji Ito.

Kurita

The new Maximum the Hormone album leaked. Crazy that it's 6 years since the last one. Blast from the past.

Thank god we got two singles between the albums :lol (well, even the single Greatest The Hits 2011–2011 came out 3 years after Tsume Tsume Tsume :lol)

Aizo

Banned
I'm really diggin' the new Maximum the Hormone album. Glad that they kept the "Shakin' a baby!" and "Mreh!" at the end of some songs. ビューティー殺シアム is probably my favorite song, followed by え・い・り・あ・ん. 恋のスペルマ is also awesome. What odd titles. "Beauty Kuroshiamu" like Colosseum with murder? "Koi no sperm"? They're so weird.

Stop, stop. Stop, stop the winnie.

Kurita

To the surprise of no one, the new album is amazing. Easily one of the best albums of the years.

Now I'm looking forward to Arashi and Perfume new albums this Fall... (that's quite different from MTH :lol)
Both bands released some really great singles (Endless Game, Calling and Breathless by Arashi are some of my favorite songs of 2013, so are Magic of Love and Handy Man by Perfume) so I'm quite hyped!

Oh and the HIATUS released their new PV : http://youtu.be/L7WWi61LSzo
Needless to say I love it.

Aizo

Banned
Do you all listen to other J-Metal bands? I mostly follow the Japanese Power Metal scene. I've heard some good Progressive and Black Metal, though. No Melodic Death Metal, sadly.

Kurita

Do you all listen to other J-Metal bands? I mostly follow the Japanese Power Metal scene. I've heard some good Progressive and Black Metal, though. No Melodic Death Metal, sadly.

Nope. To be honest MTH is the only metal band I can listen to, I don't really like the genre...

iavi

MTH have a seriously whimsical air to them and their tracks. I'm not surprised to see that somebody would just like them over other metal acts.

Kurita

Yeah that's what I like about them.
I guess they're less... "dark" and "edgy" or something (I sound like an ignorant sorry metal fans haha).

Aizo

Banned
Kurita, this is just for you. A band that dresses in eccentric, Victorian aristocratic attire named Versailles.

There's a lot of Metal that isn't dark. In fact, there are many Metal bands that focus on being uplifting like Galneryus.

If those bands are still too intense, there are bands like Aldious.

JEKKI

any fans of BENI?!?!?!

1d2252c0f8f811e2979b22000a9f4ded_7.jpg

a3ec9eb0f53711e285a622000a1f9e5b_7.jpg

I gotta get it! got gots to get it!!

Hey guys! New Capsule song! It's pretty amazing!
http://fuckyeahystk.tumblr.com/post/56954014074

I like the sound it has, but I think as a standalone track it's neither here nor there, it doesn't really go all in, especially the vocals, which are pretty meandering - and I think it sounds more like it's constructed from parts of other tracks instead of having its own identity.
It'll definitely grow on me though, if they put it on their next album I'll probably consider it more a filler piece than anything.

Infinite

I like the sound it has, but I think as a standalone track it's neither here nor there, it doesn't really go all in, especially the vocals, which are pretty meandering - and I think it sounds more like it's constructed from parts of other tracks instead of having its own identity.
It'll definitely grow on me though, if they put it on their next album I'll probably consider it more a filler piece than anything.

I think he's just exploring several different kinds of dance music in one track which is what I thought was cool about the track. It's the sign of what's to come and it says Nakata actually has time for Capsule now lol

faridmon

Its been a while since I did an introduction and what better way of starting again than seeing one of the most bizarre bands doing a bizarre comeback just because they don't care!

Introduction: Buffalo'3

Buffalo3.jpg

After 3 years of doing fuck all, Buffalo'3 decided it was time to drop another release. Tarantism, they called and its another one that very much inspired by the gritty pop culture that seems to influence their stance in rock and roll. Their image and their mentality in music. This band is very visual band, they operate in darkly fashion that is taken straight from 60s rebel fashion coupled with 80s gothic noir attire. They are always seen with sunglasses, dark denim clothed and happen to smoke a lot. Their image is very mysterious. Very little info about them is available on the internet, and they are people who tends to stay away from media and press. The bassist seem to have changed. From a male bassist that went with eponym Fujita to a female one that goes by the name aYm. The other two are Maeji on the Guitar and the vocals and Sakai on the Drums.

Their music is a reflection of such attitude. They are Post-Punk band that rely deeply on high volumed deep bass lines, screechy guitar and operates in a very dark world of Gothic atmosphere and background noise that is akin to Bauhaus, early The Cure and Killing Joke. Its level, pervasive deep bass leads the dance in the background putting the drums and guitar. they aren't just another Joy Division labelled post-punk wannabes though. Their underlay plays have a very suggestive root in Moorish and Mediterranean folk influence with their use of their guitar in a more vernacular analogue that is both twisted and clever. This Moorish underlay gives their music a more psychedelic feel to it which, on top of the already up-geared Garage, Post-punk drive, results in a very abrasive noise that have some sort of melody to it.

They have released 2 mini-albums ( 6//City and NUMBER ELEVEN ) and are planning to release a single (Tarantism) later this months. It seems that the video was directed by the cult director Katomani who also worked with bands such A Flood of Circle and Sister Jet as well as being produced by Manifest studio who worked on videos of bands such as M'OSOME TOBANDER, The Cigavettes and Veni Vidi Vicious. Their Videos are always stylised to bring out their desired personality to life. Normally shot in 20fps Black and white and being distorted with white noise while being cut a lot is their stable. Over all, this is a band that is surely style over substance and one which I respect. I still can't stop listening to NUMBER ELEVEN despite being on the weaker side and that is because of their attitude.

Their songs that are available on Youtube

NUMBER ELLEVEN - Hattrick - Tarantism

There aren't a whole lot of their songs available. I'll see if I can upload their music on Youtube if there is any demand.

faridmon

By the way, Both of their mini-albums in available in Itunes Worldwide by the way. As an amazon mp3 costumer, though, i am saddened that only NUMBER ELEVEN is available there. its annoying since I have that as CD version of that mini-album. I may cave in for bloody iTunes and buy that second mini-album.

faridmon

Try the first EP ''Silence from Northen Hell'' by Blood Stained Child.

I am not even joking, it the most perfect Melodic Death Metal release I have heard, and I am big fan of the genre.

Oh and ignore the rest of their materials.

Aizo

Banned
Try the first EP ''Silence from Northen Hell'' by Blood Stained Child.

I am not even joking, it the most perfect Melodic Death Metal release I have heard, and I am big fan of the genre.

Oh and ignore the rest of their materials.

I have all Blood Stained Child's albums. I remember when they were Melodic Death Metal. Now they're... rave metalcore? The singer used to sound exactly like Alexi Laiho.

faridmon

I have all Blood Stained Child's albums. I remember when they were Melodic Death Metal. Now they're... rave metalcore? The singer used to sound exactly like Alexi Laiho.

Yeah, don't like how they sound like now, but man, that first EP is bloody amazing.

Mosuqe is not bad, but I really don't want Trance metal rave whatever.

So, I just got into Envy last week. Pretty sure All the Footprints You Ever Left... is going to be one of my favorite albums ever. I don't know how I didn't know about them until so recently.

Kurita

Not a bad review, I kind of agree with it (score included).
To be honest, I thought it was just an okay album. Maybe I would have liked it more if I went in blind, without having listened to the singles, because they ended up being the best songs of the album.

Just an "old man yells at could" thing to add : I can't help thinking that Kyary is overhyped.
I mean, she's cute and fun and all but... that's it.

Infinite

Not a bad review, I kind of agree with it (score included).
To be honest, I thought it was just an okay album. Maybe I would have liked it more if I went in blind, without having listened to the singles, because they ended up being the best songs of the album.

Just an "old man yells at could" thing to add : I can't help thinking that Kyary is overhyped.
I mean, she's cute and fun and all but... that's it.

My thoughts on the album is usually how I feel about the recent perfume albums. "Wow, this is a pretty good single collection. Nice to have these all in one place." I happened to like most of the singles leading up to this album so it was decent and the pitchfork score seemed appropriate. A lot of the new songs didn't do it for me.

That being said it reading the review it was something about it that I didn't like. First of all I don't see why there needs to be a comparison between Kyary and Lady Gaga. Secondly the reviewer tries to examine the cultural context in which the music exists but fails at understanding basic things about the culture. How do you fail to mention Nakata?Like a lot of the misconceptions the reviewer made could have been fixed simply by reading her wikipage. Not to sound like a grumpy weeaboo stereotype here but I was a bit turned off they tried to do that but didn't come correct. idk

faridmon

Czecho no Republic have released another video for their new single which is first for the new female recruit to be the lead vocalist. She does sound nice and fits the band ethos very well. The song is called Fine Day

The problem, the single is exclusive to Tower Record. Why the fuck do indie bands do this? Especially as of late?

Fucking Hell!

Peru

It's a horrible, horribly written review, no redeeming features. Doesn't mention Nakata, makes insane comparisons to western artists / sounds, wildly inaccurate descriptions of sound, of the j-pop scene in general, of her place in it in particular. Everything in that review is bullshit.

Kurita

Quick thoughts on some new releases...

the HIATUS - Horse Riding EP (released on July 31st)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7WWi61LSzo
A really great EP, the lead track, Horse Riding is awesome.
The other two songs are as good, Waiting for The Sun feels a little bit more "experimental" I guess. Overall it still has the same feel as their latest album, A World of Pandemonium, which is by far their best one.

The SALOVERS - Andes no Machi de Konna Yoru wa HOT HOT HOT! (released on July 31st)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imPa016-lus
HOT HOT HOT! is a fun and insanely catchy summer anthem, I can't stop listening to it. It's your classic upbeat Salovers song but man, they sure know how to make you dance.
アンデスの街 is also an upbeat song, though a little bit slower, but still quite good and fun. こんな夜は is the slowest song of the single, and I have to say that it was a good idea to put it in it, as it allows you to take a breather.
Definitely one of the most promising bands out there, I love them.

CreepHyp - Fukikoboreru Hodo no, Ai, Ai (released on July 24th)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipF8Yfxqtw
It was good, really good. Could be the band's best album so far.
If you can get over the singer's voice it's pretty amazing. The music is always awesome and really catchy. They don't have that many slow songs so overall the album is quite danceable. Definitely a great way to get into this band, which keeps on gaining recognition.

Larsa

Sweet! Hope it's on the same level as Fruits Clipper or Sugarless Girl. I'm not the biggest fan of the most recent albums.

Infinite

I am truly excited. Hope this new Capsule album can be better than their last two.

By the way, their new song I posted, Rainbow, is featured on the compilation Asobi Tunes.

ChryZ

Perfume's new album will be out on October 2nd.
http://www.perfume-web.jp/news/individual.php?id=73
The BB Sparkling TVCM stuff is hitting the intrawebtubes, the new song 「Party Maker」 is playing in its background

Perfume CM チョコラBBスパークリング 「キレイ速攻チャージ」
http://youtu.be/roiFsQ8ACV4

Making
http://youtu.be/ipvb6D8_xYk

faridmon

BLwBMn7CYAQ8xI0.jpg

Goddamit is this album bloody amazing! If you like instrumental Post-rock music like Toe and Lite, then you owe yourself listen to this band.

Finally got Yoshu Fukushu and it, predictably, SHREDS (and is insane). I just wish I had any idea of what the heck is going on in the included manga. It looks bugnuts.

Polysics is starting their European tour next month with some dates supported by telephones
September 13, 2013 (Friday) France La Fourmi LIMOGES
<Cast>
POLYSICS

September 14, 2013 (Saturday) France Haguenau Salle Du Millenium
<Cast>
POLYSICS

September 16, 2013 (Mon) Netherlands Amsterdam Paradiso
<Cast>
POLYSICS

September 17, 2013 (Tuesday) Scopitone Nantes France (Festival)
<Cast>
POLYSICS

September 19, 2013 (Thursday) France Nimes Marsatac (Festival)
<Cast>
POLYSICS

September 20, 2013 (Friday) vielle France Route du Son
<Cast>
POLYSICS / the telephones

September 21, 2013 (Saturday) France Agen Le Florida
<Cast>

September 23, 2013 (Mon) France Paris Le divan du monde
<Cast>

September 24, 2013 (Tuesday) Belgium Liege La zone