• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Peru

Also,I've been on an AKB/Idol binge ever since I came back from Japan. They are just everywhere over there. On the radio, TV, convenient stores, vending machines...

My pitch used to be "AKB is wrong on many levels, but even in the j-idol world there's wildly playful, creative stuff like Momoiro Clover"... but you never know where a hero will appear and the Saviour Sashihara has made me throw away old notions of good and bad.

Kurita

Alright, pre-ordered the limited edition of Perfume's new album and ONE OK ROCK's upcoming live DVD. October is going to be good.

Slowdive

Banned
I always believed that Souvlaki is better than anything that My Bloody Valentine have put and I stand by it.

The best Shoegaze album by far.

Souvlaki is one of my favorite albums ever for sure. I just can't choose between Slowdive and MBV, or even Lush when it comes to shoegaze, I love them all equally.

Have you heard the I Saw The Sun demos? So good.

faridmon

Souvlaki is one of my favorite albums ever for sure. I just can't choose between Slowdive and MBV, or even Lush when it comes to shoegaze, I love them all equally.

Have you heard the I Saw The Sun demos? So good.

Don't Forget Ride.

I haven't listened to the demos. I was actually thinking getting the compilations if they had the unreleased tracks in there. Now that you mentioned, I have also listened to MBVs demos as well. Have to rectify that.

Since this is a Japanese thread, Any Japanese Shoegazing bands you want to share? My favourite being Cryuff in the Bedroom and last years Album was bloody amazing.

Slowdive

Banned
Don't Forget Ride.

I haven't listened to the demos. I was actually thinking getting the compilations if they had the unreleased tracks in there. Now that you mentioned, I have also listened to MBVs demos as well. Have to rectify that.

Since this is a Japanese thread, Any Japanese Shoegazing bands you want to share? My favourite being Cryuff in the Bedroom and last years Album was bloody amazing.

Some Pygmalion demos were released officially, but never any I Saw The Sun ones, I don't think.

I've heard of Cryuff in the Bedroom but never checked them out, I will do soon. As for Japanese Shoegaze here's some of my faves: Hartfield, Plastic Girl In Closet, Luminous Orange, Tokyo Shoegazer and Mass of The Fermenting Dregs (I'm still not over their breakup).

faridmon

Some Pygmalion demos were released officially, but never any I Saw The Sun ones, I don't think.

I've heard of Cryuff in the Bedroom but never checked them out, I will do soon. As for Japanese Shoegaze here's some of my faves: Hartfield, Plastic Girl In Closet, Luminous Orange, Tokyo Shoegazer and Mass of The Fermenting Dregs (I'm still not over their breakup).

Never Heard of Hartfield, so thats one band I should checkout.

Don't forget Coalter in the Deapers, Spangle Call Lilli Line and Lillies and Remains. check them out if you haven't.

There are couple of smaller ones as well such as Heavendstamp, White White Sisters, Shelling, Taffy, My Dead Girlfriend, Lemon's Chair you should checks out.

Also Head on Sofa, one which I recently gotten into thanks to someone!

Slowdive

Banned
Ah! How could I forget Spangle Call Lilli Line? I've heard of Coltar of the Deepers and Lillies and Remains but never listened to them properly. Haven't heard any of the other ones you listed. I'll be sure to check them out.

Kurita

So right now I'm listening to さよなら、また今度ね (Sayonara, matakondo ne)'s first full album. Never heard of the band before but it really is awesome. The album is quite up-beat, fast paced and just fun to listen to. Good stuff!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2XsM0xZPF8

Aizo

Banned
New Wakusei Abnormal PV http://youtu.be/dPQE-w-vahg

The change in sound surprised me a little, it's really upbeat compared to their previous stuff such as this http://youtu.be/AhaZVsM7WTs I really like it though. New mini in October.

I don't know how I missed this. Thanks for posting. The change is quite surprising.. I like it, too, though.

I'd like to add Kacica and Honeydip. The rest that I wanted to mention were covered by our dear faridmon.

Dead

well not really...yet
Don't Forget Ride.

Honeydip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwvGVHcxBr8

Unfortunately broken up. Amazing stuff though.

faridmon

faridmon,
I get the feeling you'd like this. Am I wrong?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48MhFxd0Ia8

Haha, I don't know if its my cup of tea, its a bit too Genki for me which could be a hindrance depending how stupid that amount of genkiness is.

But thanks for posting it, will keep an eye on them.

Honeydip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwvGVHcxBr8

Unfortunately broken up. Amazing stuff though.

I'd like to add Kacica and Honeydip. The rest that I wanted to mention were covered by our dear faridmon.

Hmm, it seems that Honeydip is my next band to checkout. Never heard of them, will make sure I listen to them now. Cheers!
I have a feeling that Kacica is too experimental for me, Lol

ChryZ

Now this is sorta unexpected, Amazon Germany and France listed Perfume's Level 3. Ready for pre-order and all. Not as import, regular pricing too. Seems like Universal thinks they're ready for a global retail release.

Kurita

They're releasing the CD + DVD version, that's really cool.
Already pre-ordered the Japanese one though so I doubt I'll double dip.

faridmon

Now this is sorta unexpected, Amazon Germany and France listed Perfume's Level 3. Ready for pre-order and all. Not as import, regular pricing too. Seems like Universal thinks they're ready for a global retail release.

I am not seeing it on the UK store.

Infinite

Listen to My Dear Dead Girlfriend and Condor 44 for some more Japanese shoegaze

New Wakusei Abnormal PV http://youtu.be/dPQE-w-vahg

The change in sound surprised me a little, it's really upbeat compared to their previous stuff such as this http://youtu.be/AhaZVsM7WTs I really like it though. New mini in October.

Well damn.

Slowdive

Banned
Listen to My Dear Dead Girlfriend and Condor 44 for some more Japanese shoegaze

I totally forgot about My Dead Girlfriend! I haven't listened to them for a while. So good. Shojoskip and BP. are good as well.

Any Seiko Oomori fans? She released a new live EP yesterday recorded in Fujimigaoka Church, really good but I like her other recent EP even more.

They only announced it in France and Germany.

Damn. I hope it releases on Amazon UK so I don't have to import.

Slowdive

Banned
Good tune, I'll have to check out those EPs! That song reminds me a bit of Sachie Hiraga, except it has some muted aggression absent in Hiraga's music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GqoCcSP5iE

Haven't heard of her, nice song.

The song I posted is off her album 魔法が使えないなら死にたい, her two recent EP's I mentioned are more raw.

She also recently released an EP with Jun Togawa (My favorite female artist next to Shiina Ringo) on it. I think you could only buy it from one of their concerts. I don't know exactly what's on it yet.

faridmon

Re-listening to Sakanactions' Self Titled album and still bloody good. Best Japanese Album this year re-confirmed. Sooooooooo Gooooooooood

Kurita

It definitely grew on me after several months listening to it. I still prefer DocumentaLy though, it had more catchy songs.
But yeah, it's one of the best albums of the year, I guess it'll be in my top 10 (the number 1 is already decided, and it's Jinsei x Boku = by ONE OK ROCK).

Slowdive

Banned
Re-listening to Sakanactions' Self Titled album and still bloody good. Best Japanese Album this year re-confirmed. Sooooooooo Gooooooooood

I was kind of disappointed in it. I was really looking forward to it, and it's really good, don't get me wrong, I just think Documentaly is miles better. The live DVD is something else. Just saw they've got another one coming out in November. :)

Kurita

I was kind of disappointed in it. I was really looking forward to it, and it's really good, don't get me wrong, I just thing Documentaly is miles better. The live DVD is something else. Just saw they've got another one coming out in November. :)

Yup, exactly how I feel. It doesn't have songs like Endless, Monochrome Tokyo or Identity that I can listen without getting tired of them.
But hey, it's still a great album (especially if you want to relax) and I'm sure I'll buy the DVD.

faridmon

I was kind of disappointed in it. I was really looking forward to it, and it's really good, don't get me wrong, I just thing Documentaly is miles better. The tour DVD is something else. Just saw they've got another one coming out in November. :)

Its quite different from DocumentaLy though. Like every album they put. You cannot compare it between them. The more you compare, the more that opinion skews the reality of the thing on the disk.

Sakanaction is more experimental than their previous records with a lot of emphasis on Mellow Jazz atmosphere and have a more progressive synth plays which is is played in sort of orchestral way, it builds-up (Like Music and Inori) while others have this consistent trouph and crest like movement (Like M and Nantette Haru) which is sort of playful because you expect it building up.

Fantastic and unexpected Album. Ichiro is a genius.

Slowdive

Banned
Its quite different from DocumentaLy though. Like every album they put. You cannot compare it between them. The more you compare, the more that opinion skews the reality of the thing on the disk.

Sakanaction is more experimental than their previous records with a lot of emphasis on Mellow Jazz atmosphere and have a more progressive synth plays which is is played in sort of orchestral way, it builds-up (Like Music and Inori) while others have this consistent trouph and crest like movement (Like M and Nantette Haru) which is sort of playful because you expect it building up.

Fantastic and unexpected Album. Ichiro is a genius.

True, I guess after the single I was expecting Documentaly 2. Like I said, I really like it and it's probably my second favorite album from them. I haven't listened to it in a while, maybe I'll like it better now.

Amazon's description of Wakusei Abnormal's new mini: "Turn from the avant garde previous work to the royal road of jpop." Nooo :(
I'll probably still like it though. Just disappointing.

faridmon

Amazon's description of Wakusei Abnormal's new mini: "Turn from the avant garde previous work to the royal road of jpop." Nooo :(
I'll probably still like it though. Just disappointing.

Haha, I think you could have guess that from their new PV you just posted. That was quite Poppy.

faridmon

I know. I was holding out hope that it was just a one off haha.

I am sure its gonna be good. They seem to know what they are doing
I hope so

On another note, The Brixton Academy is still close to my heart. I am saddened to be reminded that they broke up :(

Top Bottom