• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

faridmon

Oh, man. I'm so excited. I'm seeing la la larks (The new band of Uchimura Yumi , from school food punishment) in October with Unchain... and they just added Kinoko Teikoku to their lineup. Yesssssss.

I hope they play Eureka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLLqGseXBTs

NIce. Never listened to Kinoku Teikoku myself, but if they came to the town, I would definitely go to see them live. Never heard of la la larks, but after some search around the internetts it seems to be a supergroup that compose from former School Food Punishment, GO!GO!7188 and Stereo Fabrication of Youth amongst others. Nice!

Never liked Unchain.

LayLa

i also bought some Japanese vinyl recently!
EgDiN59.jpg

rYEB8Ae.jpg

pEusCio.jpg

Aizo

Banned
Happy belated, Kurita.

Those vinyls look expensive, everyone. I'm quite impressed. I'm a fan of Oni. What awesome vinyls to have!!

So after a little research it turns out that I'm really into Nico Touches the Wall and Nina Mizuki right now. Most of their songs are pretty consistent and sound alike which I love. I started listening to some Nina Mizuki songs and she has a ton of them so I got some catching up to do.

faridmon

Happy belated, Kurita.

Those vinyls look expensive, everyone. I'm quite impressed. I'm a fan of Oni. What awesome vinyls to have!!

Yeah. I don't have many Vinals just because of the price. Although I did buy quite a few limited edition Vinyls during the Record Store days.

Never again!

Aizo

Banned
Has anyone heard of this band? The singer looks hot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEd-7K6LLoo

I'm not sure if you actually like the music, but thanks for showing us. I really like it. The song you posted isn't allowed in my country, but I watched this one, and was quite impressed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej98AVy4dkc
If anyone wants Japanese Metal recommendations, I can give you many.

AKANE+LIV.png

Akane Liv was born in Gothenburg, Sweden in a family of a Polish-Swedish father and Korean-Japanese mother. No wonder she is hot.

I've always thought that mixed races are the most beautiful. Hooray for inter-racial relationships!

i also bought some Japanese vinyl recently!

haha! I have this one, just arrived lately, and Battle & Romance (this one cost me a lot) as well..

some GingNangBoyz singles and Number Girl's SGBB (MAN i wished i had the other two NG vinyls as well), and oh Kimonos album. I need to get that Zazen Boys LP

heck I dont even have a vinyl player, i just like having them lol.

I'm not sure if you actually like the music, but thanks for showing us. I really like it. The song you posted isn't allowed in my country, but I watched this one, and was quite impressed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej98AVy4dkc
If anyone wants Japanese Metal recommendations, I can give you many.

I've always thought that mixed races are the most beautiful. Hooray for inter-racial relationships!

That's Takayoshi Ohmura on guitar and MASAKI on bass. I'm not sure if they're actually members of that band but they're amazing musicians. I saw MASAKI at an Animetal concert in Paris, years ago. Syu from Galneryus was the guitar player. I hope to see them in Europe again.

Not enough interesting Japanese bands play in Europe. All we get is Jpop, Visual kei, super-mainstream stuff (video game composers or people like Ryuichi Sakamoto) or very obscure bands (electronic/avant-garde/black metal/etc.)

Feel free to share the goods
You want the usual or the not-so-usual?

Starters include:

T-Square (The Square; prolific J-fusion, did a bit of disco) | Prime; Texas Kid; Bad Moon
Hideo Shiraki and company (hard bop and bossa nova, early important session work) | Sayonara Blues; It's All Right with Me; Akasaka After Dark
Cro-Magnon (downtempo beats and lounge jazz, underrated masters) | Era 002; Midnight Magic feat. Roy Ayers; Night Lights
Yoshio Suzuki (veteran bass sessionist, does varied solo stuff) | Kane; American Twilights; What Kind of Fool Am I
Indigo Jam Unit (general jazz, great mix of styles old and new) | Roots; Blue; Escape
Hajime Yoshizawa (talented keyboard sessionist, does just about anything) | Time; Perfect Emotion; Shiosai

I'd post more, but this should do for now. They're all worthwhile links, even if only T-Square has any recognition.

Aizo

Banned
That's Takayoshi Ohmura on guitar and MASAKI on bass. I'm not sure if they're actually members of that band but they're amazing musicians. I saw MASAKI at an Animetal concert in Paris, years ago. Syu from Galneryus was the guitar player. I hope to see them in Europe again.

Not enough interesting Japanese bands play in Europe. All we get is Jpop, Visual kei, super-mainstream stuff (video game composers or people like Ryuichi Sakamoto) or very obscure bands (electronic/avant-garde/black metal/etc.)

Syu is one of my favorite guitarists. I always post about new MVs and albums of Galneryus'.

V_Arnold

Help me out GAF! Where to start if I want to immerse myself in the world of Japanese techno/trance/psytrance/stuff like that? Any names or recommendations? Just a few youtube links would suffice for me, as a starter :D

faridmon

Thank you!

Denki Groove is a good start as well!

There is, you are not looking hard enough :)

In a year or so I have seen Molice, 8Otto, Miilia and the Geeks, Comanechi, FACT, Bo NIngen (Twice), Aki Onda, Akio Suzuki, Shogo Takamura, and Damo Suzuki. I have also missed couple of gigs like Asian Kong-fu Generation and [champagne]. later this year we have Polyiscs doing a tour as well. There is quite a lot of Japanese activity going on if you look hard enough.

Denki Groove is a good start as well!

There is, you are not looking hard enough :)

In a year or so I have seen Molice, 8Otto, Miilia and the Geeks, Comanechi, FACT, Bo NIngen (Twice), Aki Onda, Akio Suzuki, Shogo Takamura, and Damo Suzuki. I have also missed couple of gigs like Asian Kong-fu Generation and [champagne]. later this year we have Polyiscs doing a tour as well. There is quite a lot of Japanese activity going on if you look hard enough.

Thanks, I'll check them out. The only bands I know from your list are Polysics and Asian Kung-fu Generation.

Kurita

Asian Kung-Fu Generation finished their 2-days live at the Yokohama Stadium.
It was to celebrate their 10th anniversary since their major debut in 2003.
The first concert had a setlist based on the fans' votes.
The second one was quite special since they had guests, it was 4 hours long! Horie Atsushi (from Straightener) Hosomi Takeshi (from Ellegarden/the HIATUS) were here since they're Gotch's (AKFG's vocalist) best friends, Matt Sharp from Weezer and The Rentals was also here.
A girl I follow on Twitter was there and said it was really an epic show, I'm soooooo jealous.
I really hope they'll release a live DVD or something...

Now that I think about it, Straightener also celebrated their 10th anniversary since their major debut this year, 2003 was an awesome year for J-Rock :lol
I've watched the live they held at the Nippon Budokan earlier this year for this anniversary. Needless to say it was fantastic... 31 songs picked by the fans, a perfect setting, man...
I got some serious goosebumps. They truly are one of the very best Japanese rock bands, no question about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmmGPDzVvys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyTWU7BDvJ8

JEKKI

I was listening to sum random ass underage idol music when I began to think to myself

dang... some of these songs are actually kinda catchy...

so I went to look up some of their music videos only to discover,

got dang... these girls can dance O_O

http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/Happiness---Friends/802dbe67c4340888ed3d0cbbf6bf8c62

they're a group called Happiness... not to proud to listen to them but they got sum moves!!

in better news... new MILIYAH single!!!

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/bZSfhur1JSM/?resourceId=0_06_02_99

real good!!!

Zoe

Don't know if I would classify Happiness as idol. They're part of the E-girls umbrella which is the female Exile.

Aizo

Banned
Does anyone like Hip-Hop? It seems there's a lot of Jazz influence in Japanese Hip-Hop, which is awesome.
I really like the Western/Japanese collaboration Hip-Hop groups 'cause they get with guys like Substantial.
Acro Jazz Laboratories
Cradle Orchestra

There is a lot of good, original Hip-Hop, too.
Shing02
Steady&Co
Ketsumeishi
Ken the 390
Tamaki Roy
Oni

Lots of awesome producers, too.
Eccy
Tsuchie
TOKiMONSTA
Here's a collab with a bunch of (Good and okay) Japanese rappers.
Ken the 390, SKY-HI, KLOOZ, Tamaki Roy

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Does anyone like Hip-Hop? It seems there's a lot of Jazz influence in Japanese Hip-Hop, which is awesome.
I really like the Western/Japanese collaboration Hip-Hop groups 'cause they get with guys like Substantial.
Acro Jazz Laboratories
Cradle Orchestra

There is a lot of good, original Hip-Hop, too.
Shing02
Steady&Co
Ketsumeishi
Ken the 390
Tamaki Roy
Oni

Lots of awesome producers, too.
Eccy
Tsuchie
TOKiMONSTA
Here's a collab with a bunch of (Good and okay) Japanese rappers.
Ken the 390, SKY-HI, KLOOZ, Tamaki Roy

I <3 this post. Thanks for the links!

Rooster12

]

I have probably 200+ albums of Japanese Hip-Hop, more than any other Japanese music.

What's surprising are the amount of insanely good Mixtapes that these artists put out, most of them are from no-name rappers but their mixtapes are ridiculously good, and the best part is that they're completely free for download on the artist's blogs.

55169e13-s.jpg

Pepcee - Boom Shot EP

This is one of the best free Mixtapes I've heard, it's better than the official albums you have to pay for. There a lot of relaxing, jazzy beats on here. It's the type of music you can smoke to and just relax. It's groovy, and the rapper isn't that bad either. But the best part is the production, the beats on here are damn good. I wish he would sell it I would buy it for that cover.

And it's a free mixtape you can download on the artist's website:

http://dakkanclan.blogspot.com/2011/12/free-dl-pepcee-of-mads-boom-shot-ep.html

Pepcee- I Got It

I think Substantial is pretty small time compared to some other US rappers they work with.

Did you hear about AraabMuzik's Japanese rap album he released last year? He made all the beats and had Japanese MCs rap over them. Not just a song or two, an entire album.

DJ Munari & AraabMuzik - Hand's Up

Rooster12

Slowdive

Banned
First post on GAF! I've been following this thread for a while. Some great reccommendations on here. I listen to a lot of Japanese artists/bands from all kinds of genres. Shiina Ringo is probably my favorite.

Speaking of Ringo, she's releasing a bunch of limited 15th anniversary stuff in November, really want that live Blu-Ray box set especially.

Any Midori fans? Mariko Goto has a new album out on December 4 which I'm really looking forward to. Her last single Sound of Me is great.

Can't wait for the Perfume and Capsule albums either.

Zoe

Nothing wrong with J-pop. Don't let others shame you! In fact, this thread started as a pop thread before it got hijacked.

Peru

There's some pop talk here but very little j-rnb which is my thing outside of the usual suspects. A lot of the most creative and unique music in Japan these days can be labeled as j-pop though.

Unrelated, these are the "Best Japan Act" nominees for the MTV EMA:

Exile
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu
Miyavi
Momoiro Clover Z
One OK Rock

Zoe

Unrelated, these are the "Best Japan Act" nominees for the MTV EMA:

Exile
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu
Miyavi
Momoiro Clover Z
One OK Rock

wtf is Miyavi doing there :lol

He did win in the collabo category, but Kato Miliyah and Nishino Kana were able to win on their own.

Desmond

Great to hear.

I hope Kyary wins. Any news on when she's releasing a new song? I need some new sugary pop. :lol

Also,I've been on an AKB/Idol binge ever since I came back from Japan. They are just everywhere over there. On the radio, TV, convenient stores, vending machines...

Top Bottom